• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 review thread

Erebus

Rez said:
Episode 4 of the viral campaign, "Bridge", has been unlocked on the Kijuju website.

Watch it here.

The password is "temple" if you're asked for it.

These viral videos are actually really cool, it's great that Capcom have been given the budget to do it.

I hadn't seen these
dog-like
enemies before. Plus, there are some never-before-seen locations in the video as well.

Capcom is determined to show us every tiny bit of the game before it comes out. :S

Davey Cakes

DarkUSS said:
Capcom is determined to show us every tiny bit of the game before it comes out. :S
Yeah, I'm quite sure of it.

Shit, I thought that the TGS '08 trailer would be enough for anybody, but it's only one of SEVERAL trailers featuring multiple areas, characters, gameplay shots, and in-game cutscenes. By the time RE5 comes out there won't be many surprises left.

Zenith

Banned
Rash said:
Yeah, I'm quite sure of it.

Shit, I thought that the TGS '08 trailer would be enough for anybody, but it's only one of SEVERAL trailers featuring multiple areas, characters, gameplay shots, and in-game cutscenes. By the time RE5 comes out there won't be many surprises left.

You really haven't seen much of anything yet.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
zenith - have you played the final build? i wonder if you could speak to any mechanical tweaks from the demo to the retail?

Zenith

Banned
beelzebozo said:
zenith - have you played the final build? i wonder if you could speak to any mechanical tweaks from the demo to the retail?

I don't know if it was the final final, but it did have all the content in there.

What you see in the demo is what you get in the game.

GQman2121

Banned
The more reviews I read for this game, the more I fear it's going to receive the unjustified "GTAIV" backlash once everyone get's their hands on it.

I sure hope not, but that's the direction the wind seems to be blowing......

Facism

GQman2121 said:
The more reviews I read for this game, the more I fear it's going to receive the unjustified "GTAIV" backlash once everyone get's their hands on it.

I sure hope not, but that's the direction the wind seems to be blowing......

So the full game is pretty awesome then, in your opinion?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Zenith said:
I don't know if it was the final final, but it did have all the content in there.

What you see in the demo is what you get in the game.

ah, alright, thanks.

are any thoughts on your end about the way the final game controls embargoed? i'm just curious what your impressions of that were once you had an extended period of time to play it, and to see everything it had to offer.

Thanks to all the people suggesting control type C. That worked a lot better for me and now I actually enjoyed the demo. Think I'll be buying it after all. The only thing that worries me now is the not so great framerate (PS3 demo). Is that going to be any better in the final version?

Thrakier

beelzebozo said:

This! I NEED to know if the framerate issues are fixed in the PS3 version.

GTA4 is the only GTA game I think is any good. Didn't give two shits about any of the characters in the other ones, especially CJ-- why was I supposed to like him again?-- the graphics are beautiful, gameplay is great, voice acting is great, dialogue is good (not Oscar worthy but good), and Little Jacob is the best character to grace the series.

GTA4 rocks.

GQman2121

Banned
Facism said:
So the full game is pretty awesome then, in your opinion?

If you're referring to GTA IV, then yes, I think it is an awesome game. It has it's issues, but I think every title that reaches a certain level of hype does. I don't think RE5 will be any different.

edit: JESUS CHRIST!!! Stop talking about GTA!!!

Zenith

Banned
David H Wong said:

It did. It instilled a heavy sense of boredom in me whenever I played, even when running around blowing shit up. I count 3 missions that were on par with a normal San Andreas one.

i'm just curious what your impressions of that were once you had an extended period of time to play it, and to see everything it had to offer.

It's a good game. You take an issue like item management and focus on it in isolation then you can make it sound like a bad experience, but viewed in the context of the whole game it's just a bump in the road.

This! I NEED to know if the framerate issues are fixed in the PS3 version.

It was the 360 version, and I'm a PC gamer so I don't exactly have an eye for framerate.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
brandonh83 said:
GTA4 is the only GTA game I think is any good. Didn't give two shits about any of the characters in the other ones, especially CJ-- why was I supposed to like him again?-- the graphics are beautiful, gameplay is great, voice acting is great, dialogue is good (not Oscar worthy but good), and Little Jacob is the best character to grace the series.

GTA4 rocks.

Too bad you had to be wrong on the most important one.

...why are we talking about GTA4?

As far as RE5 goes, I can't say I'm surprised at some of the lower scores. It seems to me that Capcom felt pressured into creating a game based on co-op since so many games have the feature these days. I'm not saying co-op is bad, but a purely single player experience probably would have ended up better and fits Resident Evil more overall. We'd just have to hear a bunch of whining from Gears fans (who bitch about other parts of the game anyway).

Zenith said:
I'm a PC gamer so I don't exactly have an eye for framerate.

Huh?

There's usually a lot of framerate related tweaking involved with PC gaming, unless you buy a 1500 dollar pc every year.

-----

As for GTAIV, the basic bare bones gameplay is good. The weapons feel tons better than in the previous installments, so does the driving. It's just that the mission variety is pretty bleak compared to San Andreas.

Zenith

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
Huh?

There's usually a lot of framerate related tweaking involved with PC gaming, unless you buy a 1500 dollar pc every year.

As in I'm used to 20-30 fps. I don't worry if a 60 fps game hits 45 at some points.

Ysiadmihi said:
Too bad you had to be wrong on the most important one.

it plays just like the other GTA games. better, if you ask me. I certainly think the combat system is better, and the driving is better as well.

anyway, opinions I guess, back to RE5.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Fallout-NL said:
Thanks to all the people suggesting control type C. That worked a lot better for me and now I actually enjoyed the demo.

Changing to Type C made a world of difference for me, now everything feels fluid and seamless with the exception of having to reload at a stand-still. I may try the "Classic" preset once my PS3 returns since I've been playing RE4 again, but I don't think I can give up the ability to strafe and rotate the camera. Anywho, day 1 purchase for me.

Loxley

Is it weird that because the game isn't getting all 9's abd 10's I want to play it even more? I guess it it's because now I know I won't be getting my hopes up and can just enjoy it for what it is :)

Davey Cakes

Loxley said:
Is it weird that because the game isn't getting all 9's abd 10's I want to play it even more? I guess it it's because now I know I won't be getting my hopes up and can just enjoy it for what it is :)
Quote, buy, print.

Or...Game, set, match.

Or...I agree with you.

The REmake scored in the high 8's and low 9's, and it's one of my favorite games. The experience even trumped RE4 in some ways, and that was a high-9's title.

See, I look for enjoyability, not high scores. Even though I continue to be a skeptic with the direction of RE5, I'm still on board with the game in general. That's just because I'm an RE fan. I never did need the game to get blowout review scores in order to make it a worthwhile gaming experience for me. It's fun enough, from what I can tell, and it continues the RE storyline. This is all that matters.

LaneDS

Zenith said:

It's vague but this comment excites me more than anything else in this thread so far.

Been replaying RE4 to pass the time and I'm fairly sure it's my favorite action game ever made... just so infinitely rewarding and fun to play, and it still has some tense moments despite having played it to death. I don't expect RE5 to be as good, but I do expect it to be at least very enjoyable (and hopefully I'm surprised by RE5 in the end).

Christopher

the_zombie_luke said:
Well I can't make a fair call if that's racist or not as I'm not black or African, but that's going to piss some people off when they find out about it or just see footage of it, on top of the main game being full of black enemies. Again, I'm not black so I can only tell how I feel about it and it's kind of weird seeing a game with mostly black enemies. The majority of games I've played have been 90% white enemies or they have non-human foes. I'm not saying the game can't have black or African enemies either. It's just a change for me and I'm sure it will look very weird to people who don't play games. And sort of unrelated, but I think Medal of Honor:Airborne is the first time I've ever shot up Italians in a game. Finally, I got to shoot up people in a WW2 game who I vaguely resemble and share some ancestry with. :lol Now I just need a game with Dutch and Irish enemies and I'll have my bases covered. But seriously, it is good when games branch out and have all kinds of different people in them. I just hope RE5 isn't some cheapshot to a lot of people.

And yet this is where the most of the vocal shit about the racist stuff comes from. It's not, shock and awe that you see a black enemy in a game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zenith said:
This comment makes me wet.

Fallout-NL said:
Thanks to all the people suggesting control type C. That worked a lot better for me and now I actually enjoyed the demo. Think I'll be buying it after all. The only thing that worries me now is the not so great framerate (PS3 demo). Is that going to be any better in the final version?
Yep, it really is without a doubt the best control scheme. You can strafe, which makes taking down an enemy like The Executioner much easier, and you still get the left-stick aiming, which prevents the game from feeling like Dead Space or Gears from a control perspective, it instead makes it feel like RE4, hence making the movement restrictions far less noticeable (your left thumb isn't left doing nothing, and your right thumb shoots with X/Square).

If anyone still has issues with the controls, I strongly recommend giving Type C a fair go, or at least Type A. Type D, with its right stick aiming, really makes the game feel a lot more clunky, even though it is possible to adjust to it.

The more and more I play the demo I still can't get myself to enjoy the co-op aspect. The controls don't bother me, I get used to them rather quick, but the forced co-op just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't mind the availability, but having to babysit Sheva for the entire game... I just can't imagine I'm going to enjoy it. Resident Evil was never a series screaming for co-op, it's a survival horror, things are more tense when you're on your own.

I'll watch reviews and such, and I'm sure I'll pick the game up eventually but the chances of me picking it up at launch are slim to none. It's more than likely I won't end up picking it up until it hits a price drop or I find a good deal on a used copy. Then again these are all the same concerns since I heard about co-op originally, so I'm not surprised that I don't like that aspect.

Davey Cakes

Rez said:
If anyone still has issues with the controls, I strongly recommend giving Type C a fair go, or at least Type A. Type D, with its right stick aiming, really makes the game feel a lot more clunky, even though it is possible to adjust to it.
I might try Type C, though I'm already satisfied with Type A.

Type D was atrocious, though. Clunky barely begins to describe what it feels like playing with that control scheme.

Found this from one of our members at biohaze:

Australia OXM review 8/10

Well, this is the worst review yet for Re5, the score doesnt do it justice.

- On the whole not many positive things to say about the game
- "one of the reasons we awarded the high score was due to to the impressive visuals"
- RE4 in HD
- Xbox World were correct...OXM AU say it can be completed in around 10 hours
- They were not impressed with Sheva's A.I
- "One of the most disappointing titles of 09"
- Did not reveal any unlockables but said they will significantly increase play time
- Did not like the inventory system
- contextual cover is completely contextual can not move left/right etc and is quite prevalent in the later part of the game

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
MiamiWesker said:

I'm not saying this game is going to be perfect and beyond criticism, but stupid comments like these are what make me write off most of the bitching.

StranGER

FourSerioux said:
The more and more I play the demo I still can't get myself to enjoy the co-op aspect. The controls don't bother me, I get used to them rather quick, but the forced co-op just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't mind the availability, but having to babysit Sheva for the entire game... I just can't imagine I'm going to enjoy it. Resident Evil was never a series screaming for co-op, it's a survival horror, things are more tense when you're on your own.

I'll watch reviews and such, and I'm sure I'll pick the game up eventually but the chances of me picking it up at launch are slim to none. It's more than likely I won't end up picking it up until it hits a price drop or I find a good deal on a used copy. Then again these are all the same concerns since I heard about co-op originally, so I'm not surprised that I don't like that aspect.

this has been my biggest issue since day one!

when RE Zero came out this exact thing was discussed here tons. that it was not scary due to the partner factor. this one so far falls right along that same path.

i hope you are not stuck with a partner even if controled by a computer. i need me some true single player Resident Evil soon.

Just played online co-op with a friend and it was a blast. Very awesome, very fun.

None of those negative points up there really concern me at all.

edit: come on guys the only "scary" RE game was the first one and that was because it was new and I was a lot younger, RE2 had its moments but after that it hasn't been scary, just intense. the series is more intensity/panic-driven than scary, though I do hope there is some horror atmosphere somewhere in the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MiamiWesker said:

Australia OXM review 8/10

- "one of the reasons we awarded the high score was due to to the impressive visuals"

- RE4 in HD
- Xbox World were correct...OXM AU say it can be completed in around 10 hours
- They were not impressed with Sheva's A.I
- "One of the most disappointing titles of 09"
- Did not reveal any unlockables but said they will significantly increase play time
- Did not like the inventory system
- contextual cover is completely contextual can not move left/right etc and is quite prevalent in the later part of the game
Urgh.

I haven't read the full review, but the above is just disgusting. I would've rathered they gave the game a 5 they think it deserved, rather than say the game was only an 8 because of the graphics. It's strange that there are two somewhat negative reviews out there at the moment, both with a great score.

Similarly, bullshit hyperbole like "one of the most disappointing 09 titles" when we are mid-way through the second month of the year doesn't speak well for their integrity.

Otherwise a lot of their complaints seem like things that I have no issues with. But then I'm in the max level hype phase right now, I doubt anything could really put a dent in that.

Wark

Rez said:
Otherwise a lot of their complaints seem like things that I have no issues with. But then I'm in the max level hype phase right now, I doubt anything could really put a dent in that.

Same here man -- the hype is so fuckin' unbearable for me. I'm gonna go into super code red blackout mode when the game is released in Japan, then I gotta wait a week to get my mits on the game while dodging the temptation of looking at spoilers on the internet. I hope I can last another 22 days.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wark said:
Same here man -- the hype is so fuckin' unbearable for me. I'm gonna go into super code red blackout mode when the game is released in Japan, then I gotta wait a week to get my mits on the game while dodging the temptation of looking at spoilers on the internet. I hope I can last another 22 days.
Three weeks are going to fly by. :D This home stretch when waiting for a game like this is a lot of fun for me, especially after waiting 4 years. :lol

I can't believe it has been well over three years since we first saw this video.

And yeah, I'm on a bit of a media blackout. I'm not going to be watching any media from this point on unless it is Capcom released.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
U K Narayan said:
God forbid anyone criticizes ANYTHING, these days.
Did you read the first half of his sentence?

Rez said:
Did you read the first half of his sentence?
Yes, but if criticism just boils down to "stupid comments" and "bitching", then what's the point? I personally feel that those are valid criticisms. Quality is subjective and most individuals are going to have a different opinion, but If you're just going to ignore this (whether it's nitpicking or not), then you may as well refuse to acknowledge the review at all.

Whatever, though. We'll see what the game is like when we play it.

I'll reserve my final judgment for after I actually play the complete game, but I was blown away by the demo. (I actually hated the demo at first, but switching to the "Type A" control scheme addressed most of my issues.) It almost seems as though this game is skewing a little lower than it should because it is being directly compared to Resident Evil 4. There aren't a lot of games that would look good under this type of scrutiny. It neither bothers nor surprises me that the game (apparently) doesn't live up to its immediate predecessor. RE4 was probably the best game of its generation and one of the top ten games ever.

Feindflug

Coolio McAwesome said:
I'll reserve my final judgment for after I actually play the complete game, but I was blown away by the demo. (I actually hated the demo at first, but switching to the "Type A" control scheme addressed most of my issues.) It almost seems as though this game is skewing a little lower than it should because it is being directly compared to Resident Evil 4. There aren't a lot of games that would look good under this type of scrutiny. It neither bothers nor surprises me that the game (apparently) doesn't live up to its immediate predecessor. RE4 was probably the best game of its generation and one of the top ten games ever.

So fuckin' true! RE4 is a freakin' amazing game.

Though I have to say that I also wasn't that impressed with the demo at first but after some playtime with a friend and changing the controls scheme to type A I'm kinda excited about the game...let's hope it delivers.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So the word on game length seems to be conflicting. Is this a 10 hour game or a 20 hour game (like RE4)? That makes a HUGE difference.

Rez said:
This comment makes me wet.

Yep, it really is without a doubt the best control scheme. You can strafe, which makes taking down an enemy like The Executioner much easier, and you still get the left-stick aiming, which prevents the game from feeling like Dead Space or Gears from a control perspective, it instead makes it feel like RE4, hence making the movement restrictions far less noticeable (your left thumb isn't left doing nothing, and your right thumb shoots with X/Square).

I actually like the right stick aiming the best. I've played through re4 dozens of times and I had no problems with the new scheme. At first when I was playing by myself it seemed a little slower, but everything clicked when my buddy joined me for some co-op.

Davey Cakes

dark10x said:
So the word on game length seems to be conflicting. Is this a 10 hour game or a 20 hour game (like RE4)? That makes a HUGE difference.
This is what I hate about reading reviews for a game that comes out in March.

You can never tell who's actually put time into the game enough to correctly estimate the length, and you can never tell if people are just bloating the scores due to hype or are giving lower scores in order to be "shocking."

That's why this thread is stupid. With EVERY SINGLE REVIEW that comes out, there are going to be a bevy of people bitching that the score was probably too high or low, even though they themselves haven't even played the game.

Hype sucks. You guys should just give yourselves a break.

Top Bottom