• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident evil 5 was awesome, and I hope it gets a remake.

Was RE5 good and worth a remake?

• RE5 sucked, No remake.

Votes: 67 26.6%
  • RE5 sucked, Yes remake.

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • RE5 was good, Yes remake

Votes: 114 45.2%
  • RE5 remake.. BUT single player..

Votes: 53 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I quite agree. Its also for me the best RE in the 3D series with the best story and set of characters. I love it to be remade and that's really where the remake's should stop.
I really enjoyed RE5 but it doesn't need to be remade.
Yeah really weird in hindsight how they named them. RE3 was alright Nemesis was cool but other than that nothing really stood out. Really lacking in content felt like a modern DLC.

Meanwhile Code Veronica is a next gen game easily has the most content out of any resident evil prior and it's the side game🧐

Nickolaidas

How is RE5 racist, please someone explain their reasons for thinking that to me? If the angle is white people going to Africa to enslave Africans then what if we go back further in time and look at when non whites came to Europe to enslave all the whites there? Every race has enslaved every race throughout history, especially their own. I think people just have this narrow vision of what racism, xenophobia and slavery is and they make submental opinions based on it.

If Leon was black in RE4 would that be racist? Him killing lots of caucasion spanish zombies? I don't understand this line of thinking at all.
It is called racist by the woke, because if you look at it at a purely superficial level, it *looks like* it promotes violence against black people by having you control a white man who is constantly shooting and punching them in the face. Their argument is that it is a nazi power fantasy because you control the white man who enforces his will on black people via violence. It also 'supposedly' promotes negative stereotypes of black people attacking people en masse as if they were rioters or looters and the white man has to punch/shoot them to shape ("See how racist this game is? Not only is the white man killing them, it's also 'the right thing to do!!' "). It doesn't matter that they are under the control of the las plagas because that's just a 'lore' explanation. So the woke accused the game of being racist because it portrays black people on a negative light and the white savior has to go and save them by putting them out of their misery.

This is basically a classic case of 'seeing what you want to see'. It doesn't matter to those people that Leon did the same thing in RE4 because that was white vs white, so that's a-ok. It doesn't matter the game takes place in Africa so black people are going to be the majority of the populace. They don't care. And frankly I don't see Capcom touching this game. Ever. Or making the region of a next RE game be in a place where non-whites is the prevalent populace. They don't need this shit, and I don't blame them.

Also, and I didn't believe it until I met people who claimed this on the Capcom forums years ago, the game is also incredibly sexist not only because of the costumes, but because Jill is portrayed as a helpless damsel in distress and has to rely on her white knight to save her from her (mental) prison.

People like the above are the reason now Hollywood cannot have a man saving a woman, teaching a woman or beating (figuratively speaking) a woman in a movie or tv series. It's sexist, it's racist it's 'ist' in general.

The mistake of the companies was bending the knee to those fucktards.

SHA

I remember many said it s back then, I knew those are just quitters tired of this industry.

Last edited:

dDoc

We have had the best RE games remade recently, with RE4 releasing soon.

RE3 being a bit of a disappointment.

How about they make a brand new 3rd person game now eh?

It is called racist by the woke, because if you look at it at a purely superficial level, it *looks like* it promotes violence against black people by having you control a white man who is constantly shooting and punching them in the face. Their argument is that it is a nazi power fantasy because you control the white man who enforces his will on black people via violence. It also 'supposedly' promotes negative stereotypes of black people attacking people en masse as if they were rioters or looters and the white man has to punch/shoot them to shape ("See how racist this game is? Not only is the white man killing them, it's also 'the right thing to do!!' "). It doesn't matter that they are under the control of the las plagas because that's just a 'lore' explanation. So the woke accused the game of being racist because it portrays black people on a negative light and the white savior has to go and save them by putting them out of their misery.

This is basically a classic case of 'seeing what you want to see'. It doesn't matter to those people that Leon did the same thing in RE4 because that was white vs white, so that's a-ok. It doesn't matter the game takes place in Africa so black people are going to be the majority of the populace. They don't care. And frankly I don't see Capcom touching this game. Ever. Or making the region of a next RE game be in a place where non-whites is the prevalent populace. They don't need this shit, and I don't blame them.

Also, and I didn't believe it until I met people who claimed this on the Capcom forums years ago, the game is also incredibly sexist not only because of the costumes, but because Jill is portrayed as a helpless damsel in distress and has to rely on her white knight to save her from her (mental) prison.

People like the above are the reason now Hollywood cannot have a man saving a woman, teaching a woman or beating (figuratively speaking) a woman in a movie or tv series. It's sexist, it's racist it's 'ist' in general.

The mistake of the companies was bending the knee to those fucktards.

Yep, I remember this vividly. Back when the trailer was released in 2006, the game was lambasted for being racist because you have a white guy shooting and killing a mob of Africans. Just type in "Resident Evil 5 racist" and you get a shitload of results.

Kokoloko85

It doesnt really need it Tbh. Id much rather a Code Veronica Remake, get rid of some of the issues and it would be a awesomely long classic RE.

RE5 was great though, I played it as a coop game and it was fun.
Never understood the hate, especially from RE4 fans. Because its not too different and RE4 was what created the change in RE gameplay

dan76

They should remake CV and 5 but lose the forced AI co-op in 5. Its ok playing with a friend but the AI is dreadful. I can't see how they would do 6 as it's a huge bloated mess. That game should've been a new IP.

Skifi28

If it gets a complete re-imagining where it's much closer to RE4 than gears and making co-op a different and optional mode, I could see myself getting behind the idea. On the other hand, I'd be strongly opposed to a remake where they closely follow the exisiting structure of the game, it would be completely unnecessary. Remake code veronica instead.

Yeah really weird in hindsight how they named them. RE3 was alright Nemesis was cool but other than that nothing really stood out. Really lacking in content felt like a modern DLC.

Meanwhile Code Veronica is a next gen game easily has the most content out of any resident evil prior and it's the side game🧐
RE3 just felt to me something Capcom put together so they didn't upset SONY too much over Code Veronica.

I loved Code Veronica it was for me at the time the best in the series. I just loved the story and cast of characters and the whole setting of the game

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
RE5 was fucking crazy especially with coop.

resident evil not a glitch GIF

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Stereotype? You do realize that there's still to this day, there's villages in Africa that live like that? That's their culture.
It's no different than a spanish farmer getting infected and trying to cut your head off with an axe, just for asking him for directions.

I'm all for changing the game for the better, but not because of that.

Just ignore DOOM. He likes to virtue signal often. I think he gets this placed mistaken with Era a lot.

All those details? The huts, sure, but spears and war masks? I’m just saying I’ve never seen modern photos of people in any African country like that. If they are still around, I’d be curious what percentage they make of the whole population.

You have to understand, Capcom already fucked up in the OG RE 4 using the correct dialect for the Spaniards (also simply referring to the place as “Europe”) so it was understandable for people to expect them to make errors in portraying other cultures, wouldn’t be a first for them.

And hey, maybe if Capcom would specify countries, it’d be easier to get a sense of accuracy or not. Street Fighter by the same company always specifies, I don’t know why RE sometimes has this issue. Hard to tell if they’re portraying the region correctly when all we’re told is “Africa” (LMAO, imagine how weird it would be if someone made a game set clearly in Japan but everyone just said the characters were in “Asia”).
That's what capcom has always done though. Using stereotypes to potray characters that have a lot of the time become iconic. The whole cast of sf2 is one giant stereotype. In sf3 you had Elena who was from an African tribe and is a pretty beloved character overall for example.
There's still a few indigenous tribes around https://whileinafrica.com/meet-the-...ibes and,with fascination around every corner. And it doesn't surprise me that Capcom decided to portray some enemies in the game like this, considering the tribal warrior wearing a mask and chugging spears is a pretty common depiction in a lot of media. It would be like someone dressing up as a samurai in Japan.

To be honest though, I'd probably rework it heavily. It doesn't really fit resident evil imo. The fact that they made the whole game with plagas enemies again, after re4, was a huge disappointment. I was expecting to see some old classic resident evil enemies like zombies and hunters, but instead we only got lickers in a couple rooms.

Just ignore DOOM. He likes to virtue signal often. I think he gets this placed mistaken with Era a lot.

Lol thanks for the heads up.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I liked it more than others did, but I’m not dying for a remake. I’d rather they remake 1 again honestly. Or 0 which I thought was underrated. Or Code Veronica.

Robb

Gold Member
I didn’t care for it, what I remember most was being annoyed at the AI.

But I guess that’s a good reason to give it an overhaul. There’s definitely a lot of stuff they could improve.

Teletraan1

Banned
They should just replace the tribal section with infected white african farmers. Nobody cares enough to get offended for them.

BreakOut

I’m glad to see a majority of people do want the remake with multiplayer. I really would love to have it. They will probably have to cut out sections, I don’t personally think it’s a big deal to leave them in, but I don’t care enough for it to become another Hogwarts fiasco. It wouldn’t be that weird anyway since they seem to add content to the remakes and change stuff up a little anyway. Capcom has been kicking ass with how they are doing things and I don’t want to see negative publicity on a game company that has been doing right by its gamers.

EN250

RE5 should be remade, so it can be improved gameplay, AI and network wise, with a toned down meathead Chris punching boulders and where Shiva can shine as a cool character and not some broken npc that's almost useless, but the tricky part is, the game is set in fictional country somewhere in Africa and by today's standards, that's *problematic*

Depiction of "poc" characters in tribes is problematic, even thought they exist to this day and will still be around for many more years, killing "poc" characters is problematic, even thought they're no longer they former selfs due to the virus that makes them murdering psycho zombies, twittard and social media would effing explode in rage
Alternative to that would be to replace all "poc" npcs with white npcs? , but that's also problematic, because that's like conveniently creating a fictional country where a genocide agaisnt them happened, to avoid having them be digitally murdered by the players

It's a lose-lose situation all around :messenger_grinning_sweat:

RE, RE2, Nemeis, Code Veronica, and 4, they were the only good ones until 7 & 8. 5 & 6 were trash and I never think about them when I think of the series.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm hoping beyond hope that they do a RE Engine remake of the original game to fall in line with the style of the recent Remakes, while also giving them a chance to establish Wesker, whom I wouldn't be surprised if they do some MCU style tease towards in the 4 Remake. Then 5 Remake would make more sense to remake, I think. I mean, I was holding out for a CVX Remake, so what in the actual Hell do I know about anything?

Rykan

Rather than RE5, what if RE6 got a remake redo.
I think Resident Evil 6 is the one Resident Evil game that is the least likely to get a remake, even if they decide to remake 5.

Resident Evil 6 was incredibly expensive to make. It's quite a long game too, with 4 separate campaigns. Remaking it would require an enormous amount of effort and funding. Way more than remaking any of the previous games.

mopspear

I started replaying it thanks to this thread and I remember how fun it was. It's like more RE4 but not as good, but RE4 was so good, you can fall a lot and still be decent.

It grew me on me over time, although I never liked the co-op partner element if you didn't have somebody playing with you for real. The AI was pretty frustrating and just got in your way I felt.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Game was fun with a coop partner, but Exella on Professional can fuck right the fucking-fuck off with those shitty QTEs. To be fair, I was inebriated.. but, still, that is no excuse for such trash mechanics taking up so much of the fight.

Jada_Li

Banned
RE5 should be remade, so it can be improved gameplay, AI and network wise, with a toned down meathead Chris punching boulders and where Shiva can shine as a cool character and not some broken npc that's almost useless, but the tricky part is, the game is set in fictional country somewhere in Africa and by today's standards, that's *problematic*

Depiction of "poc" characters in tribes is problematic, even thought they exist to this day and will still be around for many more years, killing "poc" characters is problematic, even thought they're no longer they former selfs due to the virus that makes them murdering psycho zombies, twittard and social media would effing explode in rage
Alternative to that would be to replace all "poc" npcs with white npcs? , but that's also problematic, because that's like conveniently creating a fictional country where a genocide agaisnt them happened, to avoid having them be digitally murdered by the players

It's a lose-lose situation all around :messenger_grinning_sweat:
What are you even talking about?

I think it's good that African people and their tribes are used in video games. In this scenario, the whole tribe became infected with the PARASITE not a virus, the Las Plagas Type I. They took 10 infected inhabitants and gave them Type II with more Type II samples so they infected the rest of the people as seen when Chris and Sheva first encounters people forcing a type 2 Las Plagas down someone's throat. The information about what happened to the tribe is in the RE5 file titled 'Village Youth's Diary' and there's also the file called 'Type 2 Las Plagas'. According to the diary the villagers didn't even dress that way it seems and sometime after the slow process of the Type 1 Las Plagas they started dressing like their ancestors for some reason. I guess the control of the Las Plagas and to be honest the tribe were some of the most challenging to fight against for me. To remove that from RE5 if there were to be a RE5 remake would be a very bad move. Besides in the RE universe Africa and it's inhabitants are not the only location and people to have suffered the experiments of pharmaceutical companies like Umbrella, Tricell, etc. Asia, Europe, North America, South America and Africa. Anyone can let me know if I missed a continent that's not coming to mind that an outbreak took place in.

POC sounds so wrong instead of saying African people but rather choosing to define people by the color of their skin when in fact all humans are people of color. No one is completely devoid of color, no not even those with albinism. And wanting to exclude any and all African tribes as a so-called solution to a non-existent made up problem in RE5 sounds awfully suspicious.

And her name is Sheva, not Shiva. A.I. aside, she does shine as an amazing character and I hope Capcom brings her back some day even if it's as a cameo. And please no not the CGI movies. Everything after Damnation is so very bad to me.

The whole world is a lose-lose situation. For those who live in the world but not a part of it, good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom