• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've got to hand it to them, the red barrel explosions are RIDICULOUS. I was shocked the first time I blew one up. It's hilarious.

blixa

Banned
I've got to hand it to them, the red barrel explosions are RIDICULOUS. I was shocked the first time I blew one up. It's hilarious.

are all of them the same?
thought the one in the beginning of jake & sherry's chapter was stronger due to the context..

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
are all of them the same?
thought the one in the beginning of jake & sherry's chapter was stronger due to the context..

Chris's barrels are as well. XD; I have mixed feelings on it. On one hand, the explosion is so exaggerant compared to past games I admit I laughed the first time I saw it too. But then, I would argue it's a bit more realistic as an actual can full of gas would explode much bigger than the explosions in RE4 and RE5 imply. Gas escaping from a fractured barrel lit by a bullet would be explosive, and the past games had it toned down some. Now it's overblown a bit though, but whatever they want I guess? It does look impressive though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the one moment of actual genius in the entire demo is in the Jake/Sherry scenario. When the first wave of guys rappel in there's a pillar to the side which you instinctively hide behind. You notice the giant red barrel is in the middle of the bad guys. It's such an eye-roll moment. So you pop out, shoot it expecting the normal barrel explosion games have trained you to expect and THE ENTIRE SCREEN EXPLODES AND THE PILLAR COLLAPSES.

I just loved it. I don't whether it was intentional or not. I forgot to mention it back when I first played the demo or not.

News Bot

Banned
According to Sven over on Capcom-Unity, the development team received all the criticism against the camera and screen-tearing at E3, and were set on making improvements.

I am told that the team received such feedback at E3 and has been taking steps to improve things both points. That said, I have not seen the changes myself so I have to request you take a "wait and see" attitude on them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god I'm a giant hypocrite. I'm played the demo through three times now and I actually started to enjoy it. That or Stockholm syndrome is starting to set in. The demo isn't very good, but all the hooks for how an actual game can fit on top of the present systems is kind of cool, assuming they build on it all effectively and tutorialise some of the weird quirks appropriately.

What... what did I just play?

I've loved every RE, even 5, but this just feels wrong. Full analog movement with a super close up camera? What. This makes no sense. They should've made it like Revelations with the Circle Pad Pro.

Visually, it looks like a Chinese knockoff. Sloppy and unpolished. Outside of the cutscenes, this felt like a mess from a design and gameplay standpoint.

Please be early. Please be better.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but I've dug up some juicy info about the game gamersxtreme.....

http://gamersxtreme.org/2012/05/09/new-resident-evil-6-details-confirmed-new-screenshots-included/

- The C-Virus will be the new ultimate “bio-weapon” in this title.

- Zombies will now wield axes, pipes and guns. If properly disarmed, these can be used against them.

- Zombies can now dash, jump and climb.

- Players can move and shoot, run into cover and dive onto the ground and fire while on their backs.

- All new Mercenaries Mode is available Day 1 for everybody, no DLC stipulations.

- Mercenaries Mode will be Capcom’s boldest, most expansive mode yet

- A tramatic event occurs in Chris Redfield’s life during his mission in Lianshang, China. This completely changes his personality to a more cryptic and pessimistic Chris Redfield.

- Ada Wong is somehow responsible for the Tragic event in China, which sets Chris on a rampage after her.

- Wesker’s son’s name is Jake Muller, who is a mercenary fighting in Europe with the goal of earning cash for him and his mother.

- Jake is immune to the current viral outbreak and is contacted by Sherry Birkin in attempt to convince him to help save the world from the recent catastrophe.

- There are 3 seperate campaigns combined in one story, all taking place across the globe: Sherry and Jake, Leon, and Chris.

- Leon’s first mission, taking place in a University, will be a throwback to the original RE games in which horror and atmospheric tension are the key elements in place.

I am freakin' pumped! As a Mercenaries crack whore, I will be getting this on PC day WON! I don't really care about the campaign in RE games all that much anymore compared to Mercs mode, so it's the new additions to that mode that I'm really excited about.

Fehyd

Banned
I finally got the demo, and I have to say, I enjoyed it.

There wasn't a lot to play to be sure, like was mentioned earlier, but barreling through Chris's scenario turned into a ton of fun for me. I LOVE the controls though, don't know what the difference is, but everything just feels "tighter" and more refined. The recoil on the aiming reticule I like too.

I'm not really understanding some of the hate for this game. Maybe a certain nostalgia about a game-type that wasn't there to begin with? The "Survival" aspect of classic RE usually went out the window once sufficient ammo was stockpiled.

dokish

Banned
I finally got the demo, and I have to say, I enjoyed it.

There wasn't a lot to play to be sure, like was mentioned earlier, but barreling through Chris's scenario turned into a ton of fun for me. I LOVE the controls though, don't know what the difference is, but everything just feels "tighter" and more refined. The recoil on the aiming reticule I like too.

I'm not really understanding some of the hate for this game. Maybe a certain nostalgia about a game-type that wasn't there to begin with? The "Survival" aspect of classic RE usually went out the window once sufficient ammo was stockpiled.

You have a lot of ammo in Left 4 Dead and it's still better than RE6. The issue has never been about ammo only.

I can enjoy RE4 even with the infinite typewriter.

I only played the Leon part but man being restricted from running and opening doors, and having to follow that guy around, was not a whole lot of fun. Whatever happened to games that just let you move around freely and at your own pace?

Fehyd

Banned
You have a lot of ammo in Left 4 Dead and it's still better than RE6. The issue has never been about ammo only.

I can enjoy RE4 even with the infinite typewriter.

Agree to disagree I guess.

L4D isn't "survival horror" either. Heck, I wouldn't even regard it as "horror". Its closer to a modern version of "Doom" than anything else, but that's not the point.

My point was, however, once you were sufficiently far into a playthrough of say, Resident Evil PSX, You had enough ammo to throw around at whatever came at you. Boss fights grew trivial. RE4 and beyond essentially cut out the middle-man.

RE5 has control problems (fewer than RE4 however). From what I can tell, most of them have been addressed in RE6. (I actually prefer RE6's control scheme over Uncharted 3).

Did you play an updated demo or something? The one I played was the exact opposite.

Anyway, I surprisingly enjoyed Chris' scenario the best.

blixa

Banned
Oh god I'm a giant hypocrite. I'm played the demo through three times now and I actually started to enjoy it. That or Stockholm syndrome is starting to set in. The demo isn't very good, but all the hooks for how an actual game can fit on top of the present systems is kind of cool, assuming they build on it all effectively and tutorialise some of the weird quirks appropriately.

nah, it's definitely good stuff.
every early playthrough there's something new to discover.
i learned about sliding mid-run after a while, even when i knew it did exist.
most people just play it once without giving thoughts to all the nice details or any of those cool moves..
yet, they nag whenever there is a tutorial trying to convey what can be done with the controls.
sad but true.

camera can be changed in the demo, that's how much gamers explore or try out things these days.
just because it's not like uncharted where drake is a little dude on screen, doesn't mean this game has to be the exact same, or should be hated immediately..
it's a design choice.

What do you do when you have a lot of money tied up in a worthless game. Exactly what you do with bad mortgages; bundle it up with something else that is worthless. As long as you make it sound good; you will sell off a lot of that liability.

Daigoro

What do you do when you have a lot of money tied up in a worthless game. Exactly what you do with bad mortgages; bundle it up with something else that is worthless. As long as you make it sound good; you will sell off a lot of that liability.

uh huh. yup. sure thing. thanks for chiming in.

Dusk Golem

A bit of a bump here, but a few days ago there were a few new gameplay videos released by an Arabic Youtube channel for an Arabic game site. These included new gameplay segments in a new demo build, and said the demo is currently for developers only but will release for everyone in September.

It seems the Dragon's Dogma demo is exclusive to Dragon's Dogma and that the official public demo released in September will be different than the one included with Dragon's Dogma. The person took their videos down, but they were uploaded elsewhere. He only posted Leon's and Chris's gameplay before privating them, didn't post Jake's. You can watch them here:

Leon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISFM-JJ3S6E
Chris: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqYeSD5UMaA

TL;DR Version: It seems the public demo released in September will be different from the Dragon's Dogma demo, some videos of this demo currently only open to developers was leaked a bit early.

Dusk Golem

And another big BUMP. PS3 DD demo is now out in Asian regions (US and Europe soon to follow).

Capcom have confirmed on their Japanese site the public demo WILL be different from the DD demo, and will be available September 18th for the PS3 and September 25th for the 360 will be a public demo, but a whole new demo that wasn't released to the public at any cons or anything (but press did get their hands on it as I posted above).

http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio6/trial_ps3.html?TB_iframe=true&width=660&height=542

4yVW9.jpg

Dusk Golem

So the new demo is coming to the 360 as well, right?

The public demo will be, but the dates on the PS3/350 seem to be different. It's a bit confusing, but people translating the new section on the Biohazard site say that is says the public demo will release on September 18th on PS3, and September 25th on 360, and will be a different demo than the DD demo (the videos I posted above should show some of the demo).

The one releasing today/tomorrow on PS3 is the same as the 360 DD demo, or in other words the E3 demo.

Nemesis_

Can anyone remember if the enemies in the demo dropped skill points?

Or has that functionality been added completely following this demo?

ironcreed

Banned
And another big BUMP. PS3 DD demo is now out in Asian regions (US and Europe soon to follow).

Capcom have confirmed on their Japanese site the public demo WILL be different from the DD demo, and will be available September 18th for the PS3 and September 25th for the 360 will be a public demo, but a whole new demo that wasn't released to the public at any cons or anything (but press did get their hands on it as I posted above).

http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio6/trial_ps3.html?TB_iframe=true&width=660&height=542

It's finally here. Looking forward to playing later.

gconsole

More and more people scream bad camera. I doubt why Capcom even bother to release this shit demo. It really kills the game reputation and scare people off to buy the final one.

RPGCrazied

So are the PS3 people with the DD code seriously not getting it until the 18th now? The back of the manual clearly states the 4th.

Top Bottom