• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

News Bot

Banned
Has anyone else noticed in the PS3 version that the Edonia chapters seem a lot more "blue"? It's not as noticeable in gameplay, but it's very noticeable in the cut-scenes. The 360 version is a lot more green. Odd.

A few times this has happened in Chris' campaign now, and it's very frustrating. A plus for his campaign is the ending of chapter 2. Very cool

Really tempted to just start again and play Leon/Chris then Jake just because the jumping around kinda puts me off...but you guys have said that Jakes ending isn't exactly a great one, compared to Leons at least. :/

What do I do...
Jakes ending isn't bad but its not a grand finale as Leons is. Its still good but his storyline and conclusion is predictable. I found Jakes end chapter to be awesome including the boss fight also based on impressions it seems to be the least offensive. While I didn't have a problem with chris and leons end chapter many found them to be hit or miss.

Id reccomend doing it in the ops order because the story starts to interesect a lot in the last two chapters and build on one another climaxing with Leons campaign.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the fourth campaign. Holy shit I FUCKING HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THAT CAMPAIGN.

JESUS.

Whoever designed this clusterfuck of a campaign needs to get an explosive arrow to the balls. I dread playing this on Professional. The only saving grace is the intersections (i.e. boss fights), which were pretty fun when playing with other people online.

I'm going to go wash myself with soap right now. That was disgusting.

Replicant

PIERS IS A GO GO!!

tumblr_mbpb51xQYE1rhqycpo1_500.jpg

njean777

So I beat Jakes and Chris's campaign tonight and man was Chris's campaign hilarious at the end
not once in a resident evil game have I rarely used the knife, but for this boss fight I ran out of all my ammo early and had nothing left, so I went commando style and just started to knife the weak points on the bosses abdomen, well needless to say I ended up beating the boss with only my knife in hand.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just finished the fourth campaign. Holy shit I FUCKING HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THAT CAMPAIGN.

JESUS.

Whoever designed this clusterfuck of a campaign needs to get an explosive arrow to the balls. I dread playing this on Professional. The only saving grace is the intersections (i.e. boss fights), which were pretty fun when playing with other people online.

Haha, yeah I did like the intersections but the rest was pretty annoying. I also through Separate Ways in RE4 was absolute shit compared to the base game.

cvxfreak

I'm starting to really like Piers (currently replaying Chris' game as him). We're the exact same age, and his personality is a lot like mine in some respects.

I even used to have, and can still make, a hair style that looks like his.

Bladenic

Yeah Ada's story is very poorly handled and explained in the overall canon, and
Simmon's obsession with her is like not even explained or makes sense. Carla was a better villain. I do hope to see "The Family" concept expanded upon in RE7 and the future.

RE5's villains were much better though. RE4's were more entertaining.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's hilarious to me that they never bothered explaining anything about Ustanuk. I kind of like that, honesIT WAS STEVE.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Simmon's obsession with her is like not even explained or makes sense. Carla was a better villain. I do hope to see "The Family" concept expanded upon in RE7 and the future.

It wasn't even the story that bothered me so much as the shitty gameplay. That campaign has every terrible idea that wasn't good enough for the other three campaigns: stealth segments, fights against a ton of enemies where you don't have a partner to revive you, segments where if you get discovered it's basically a game over, and the most annoying boss fights in the entire game.

I like Ada but she can't even save this campaign. That final scene is pretty interesting though.
Also is it me or did that street that the boy was looking out at look like the same street from the very first RE5 teaser trailer?

Noi

JESUS.

I'm glad that I did it on Professional on my first run, so I got the tough part out of the way first.

Medalion

Banned
I just bought this game today hoping the bad reviews were exaggerated

Granted I haven't gotten that far in the game

but this game is more an interactive movie than any of the other RE's, and I fear this will be the path of this series from now on

Nemesis_

it's hilarious to me that they never bothered explaining anything about Ustanuk. I kind of like that, honesIT WAS STEVE.

Both are explained in great detail in the game's files which are quite extensive.

Ada in particular remains very mysterious but that is the nature of her character. I don't understand why you would want every aspect of her explained.

Her current employer / allegiances are also obviously kept vague for future plot points (which I'm sure RE5 writers will revisit when RE7 comes around)

The whole
Simmons being obsessed with her thing was a bit poorly handled, I'll give you that, though is there really anything more to it than him being really obsessed with her? I can safely say that this whole plot point is easily the dumbest thing in Resident Evil 6

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
they're explained in the files might as well be "they're explained in the book"

Nemesis_

they're explained in the files might as well be "they're explained in the extended fiction". Piss poor.

Well, they are. They're in the game. They're just like previous games in that they are in the game.

I could maybe pay that out to you if they were written by a third party, but they're not.

Not really sure what your BOOK edit means either, since this is the only version of Resident Evil 6 that exists. If you want more story, you go to the files (as per previous games). If you don't, then so be it, you miss out.

Ustanak was explained and you missed it, so it's piss poor? okay.
Not that any of Ustanak's story is especially RELEVANT either

News Bot

Banned
they're explained in the files might as well be "they're explained in the book"

That's pretty much been the way since the first game. And... "in the book" is also literal since they off-load so much of the story into the official Japanese guidebooks and the like.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What I mean is that it's the laziest storytelling mechanic available to a video game developer. In the prior games they, at least, tried to implement the files into the game itself. Here they're just arbitrary text dumps. Lazy.

Nemesis_

What I mean is that it's the laziest storytelling mechanic available to a video game developer. In the prior games they, at least, tried to implement the files into the game itself. Here they're just arbitrary text dumps. Lazy.

With all the information that's provided I would rather them just put it somewhere else rather than arbitrarily try to dump it into some part of the game where it doesn't fit.

I mean, where on earth in Resident Evil 6 are we going to find a file that discusses what Claire was doing with Sherry following the events of Resident Evil 2?

This is one example available to me immediately off the top of my head without actually looking but I am sure I could find more.

That's pretty much been the way since the first game. And... "in the book" is also literal since they off-load so much of the story into the official Japanese guidebooks and the like.

Your opinion is apparently irrelevant because you have a Resident Evil avatar!

News Bot

Banned

Ustanak's creation isn't really required for the actual story, it's incidental. You don't find out about Nemesis-T's creation in BH3 despite him being the focal point of the game, but you find it out in Japanese books. You don't find out about how and when S.T.A.R.S. was established in BH1, but you find it out in the Directors Cut guidebook, etc. None of it is essential and the games have always been gameplay > story.

There's no real way you can fit all this stuff in, even with the in-game files the older games did, because why would there be a book about the establishment of S.T.A.R.S. sitting in an Umbrella laboratory? Even those files were written to enhance the experience of the gameplay and atmosphere, not to dump mountains of arbitrary non-essential details in your lap. But if you really wanted to find them out, you could. But as you can see from the opinions of quite a lot who post in any topic related to this series, story = balls.

Your opinion is apparently irrelevant because you have a Resident Evil avatar!

Devil May Cry actually. ;p

Nemesis_

Devil May Cry actually. ;p

I WAS CLOSE. I knew it was related somehow ;_;

I wonder if they will throw in achievements for No Hope mode or something.

Also, I remember someone mentioning that No Hope features a persistent enemy who stalks the player all the time - is this true or was it merely a rumour?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, my point is being kind of muddled here, but the core of it is that if you can't fit the story into the game then you have to ask yourself why you're trying to fit a round peg into a square hole in the first place. The game takes away from the story (you can't present it all naturally) and the story takes away from the game (the story makes no sense on a surface level and disrupts the game).

This wasn't really a problem in the slow-paced adventure RE games, but it's becoming more and more of a problem as RE becomes an action series. This is why I liked RE4's story for what it was. It was no nonsense (and by that I mean all nonsense) pulp.

Nemesis_

I don't really see a problem with expanding the mythos beyond the main storyline though, give people what they want (if they want it).

Contrary to popular belief it is semi (SEMI) well put together and interesting for some, while others hate it.

So everyone is happy. >_>

News Bot

Banned
I mean, my point is being kind of muddled here, but the core of it is that if you can't fit the story into the game then you have to ask yourself why you're trying to fit a round peg into a square hole in the first place. The game takes away from the story (you can't present it all naturally) and the story takes away from the game (the story makes no sense on a surface level and disrupts the game).

This wasn't really a problem in the slow-paced adventure RE games, but it's becoming more and more of a problem as RE becomes an action series. This is why I liked RE4's story for what it was. It was no nonsense (and by that I mean all nonsense) pulp.

Why does Metal Gear Solid have an encyclopedia? Why do the Final Fantasy games all have Ultimania books? It's not really new with video games, and very few of the details you'd find in these books would make-or-break either the story or the game. They're mostly just incidental and for people who really like supplemental details which might lead to a better understanding of the story, but aren't essential for it.

Most people probably don't know that the series has a dedicated possibly canon novel. Again, because it's not essential. (and never got fucking translated!)

cvxfreak

What do you want them to do, put in some flashback that shows how the creature was engineered and born? How would that have changed anything? (Would have been cool, I guess.)

Finished the
Catheradel
section of Leon's campaign.

Some pretty fantastic visuals and nice attempts at atmosphere ....but that's just the thing though, they're merely attempts and they didn't quite do it for me.
It's weird. It just feels like there's not enough context to what's going on in this campaign. You're just sorting running down hallways, pretty ones of course, and shootin' zombies ....which is a pretty passive experience to me at this point given this day n' age. Not to mention, there's alot of cheap deaths in the beginning area and part
in front of the church
Everything about this campaign just feels like pandering at this point. Shits just feels hollow because between these glorious looking cutscenes you get almost zero character development/exposition. I'd say Jake's bits have faired better in this regard.

I will say though, it's becoming pretty apparent that I'm really starting to enjoying playing select Capcom games more the second time. Probably just really being intune with the gameplay systems/expectations.
I mean, I was really kinda meh to RE5 the first time I finished it. Didn't come to truly love it until subsequent playthroughs.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Or a main series break-down.

Zero: "Because I got trapped in a training facility while investigating grisly deaths."
REmake: "Because I got involved in a conspiracy while investigating the loss of communication with the last guys who went in."
RE2: "Because I drove into town as my first day on the job as a cop/looking for my brother and happened into a nightmare."
RE3: "Because I was at the wrong place at the wrong time and now a freaking giant monster with a rocket launcher is after me."
RECV: "Because I got captured while infiltrating the facility who gave me a hellish night in Raccoon City/Because I'm looking for my sister."
RE4: "Because I have to save the presidents daughter."
RE5: "Because I am protecting the world from bioterrorism."
Revelations: "Because I was investigating a distress signal from a nearby cruise ship."
RE6: "Because outbreaks are spreading across the world and I'm caught up in it."

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, I'm fine with "BECAUSE IT'S AN UNSTOPPABLE KILLING MACHINE PROGRAMMED TO CHASE JAKE TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH", period, but they even managed to muddle the coherency of that, somehow. It's remarkable.

Nemesis_

I mean, I'm fine with "BECAUSE IT'S AN UNSTOPPABLE KILLING MACHINE PROGRAMMED TO CHASE JAKE TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH", period, but they even managed to muddle the coherency of that, somehow. It's remarkable.

I don't understand your issue. It was pretty clear that the creature was designed to find Jake and get his blood.

Much like Sherry's job was the same thing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand your issue. It was pretty clear that the creature was designed to find Jake and get his blood.

Much like Sherry's job was the same thing.
Maybe I'm alone on this one, it's possible I missed something, but I never really understood why he was chasing them, especially after Chapter 2. I mean, I get it, blood is the magical cure, but even then was he trying to capture Jake or kill him? The game implied kill,
but the end of chapter two didn't

Nemesis_

Maybe I'm alone on this one, it's possible I missed something, but I never really understood why he was chasing them, especially after Chapter 2.

Which Chapter? Of which campaign?

Sherry mentions multiple times throughout the campaign that Jake's blood is worthy, and that others want to get their hands on it.

Namely because
some parties don't want a vaccine for the C-Virus produced

I knew this before the game even came out (from the trailers, at least).

Also, BLOOD IS BLOOD at the end of the day

Dusk Golem

Are you sure this isn't just a personal thing? It made enough sense to me, and comparatively, I thought Ustanak was explained better in-game even than Tyrant or Mr. X were in their games.

Tyrant makes sense in the grand scheme of things, but really it kind of comes out of nowhere in RE1 stand alone as an 'ultimate weapon' and kills off or bitch slaps aside the main villain the game has been building up. Weirder that this enemy, while a good final boss for the game, didn't particularly strike me as an ultimate weapon of any kind even back when I played the game for the first time.

Mr. X just comes breaking in during the second playthrough of RE2 in a helicoptor and appears by breaking through walls at the most random times, after you for no other reason than because you're there.

Ustanak seemed in game at least with ore of a reason to be hunting our heroes than others, its pretty evident he's after Jake for the benefits of his blood, and later maybe even because he enjoys the challenge of it.

Given the Ustanak isn't some creature who is greatly explained, but I didn't think nor do I think most are going to be confused on why he is chasing you or plays the roll that he does in game. His reason isn't exactly a novelty, but it works for what he's supposed to be.
The guy who is the Ustanak was not Neo-Umbrella's first choice to be an ultimate weapon, but his body just so happened to be quite suitable for the C-Virus and to reap its effects among hundreds of candidates who died. They decided to roll with him because he was surprisingly efficient, and his mentality and intelligence along with his absolute devotion to the project and almost insane love of being a powerful tool made him one of their better weapons. The weapons he uses were designed specifically for him after he lost his arm in an accident pre-mutation.

Nemesis_

Also, note what happens when Jake is close to Ustanak when in Lanshiang.

There is a CAGE on his back that Jake can enter (and promptly escape with a QTE)

Dusk Golem

Maybe I'm alone on this one, it's possible I missed something, but I never really understood why he was chasing them, especially after Chapter 2. I mean, I get it, blood is the magical cure, but even then was he trying to capture Jake or kill him? The game implied kill,

They have diaries both from the guy who turned into Ustanak and the reactions from scientist at Neo-Umbrella in the game. The guy who turns into Ustanak was kind of a nut case who loved the idea of shedding his humanity and being reborn as a powerful weapon. He essentially was excited when he was picked for the program, even after hundreds of candidates before him had died in less than 24 hours. Based on his journals, I just assume he was chasing Jake because one of two reasons:

1.) He is following orders. The C-Virus is explained that when they are given an order by a control host, they will carry out that order until death or are assigned new orders. And those orders could still be valid as if Jake got into another parties hands, they could lose their upper hand of having his blood.

2.) He enjoyed doing it because Jake was the kind of enemy he was looking for.

News Bot

Banned

Sherry explains what Ustanak is and why he's chasing them almost immediately after the first "battle" with him. He's a B.O.W. made by Neo-Umbrella to either capture Jake or kill him and bring back a sample of his blood.

Nemesis_

Sherry explains what Ustanak is and why he's chasing them almost immediately after the first "battle" with him. He's a B.O.W. made by Neo-Umbrella to either capture Jake or kill him and bring back a sample of his blood.

Would it also be fair to say that
Carla takes control of Ustanak and Simmons sends Sherry just in case?

AlexBasch

Just started
Ada's campaign, up to Ch 2. But I'd like to note a few things, it does have a strong vibe of RE4 but more importantly, DEM WATER EFFECTS, DEM WET EFFECTS DAT ASS IN LEATHER

Ahem. I'm liking it so far.

News Bot

Banned
Would it also be fair to say that
Carla takes control of Ustanak and Simmons sends Sherry just in case?

Ustanak is
Carla's creation, and Ustanak only follows her orders and has a bit of a disturbing devotion to her. When she is killed, he becomes angry and unhinged.

Nemesis_

Ustanak is
Carla's creation, and Ustanak only follows her orders and has a bit of a disturbing devotion to her. When she is killed, he becomes angry and unhinged.

Oh, shit. I really need to read them files.

Carla's ultimate creation she talks about is HAOS, right? Or is it whatever Ada destroyed at the end of her campaign?

News Bot

Banned
Oh, shit. I really need to read them files.

Carla's ultimate creation she talks about is HAOS, right? Or is it whatever Ada destroyed at the end of her campaign?

It's whatever Ada destroyed. Haos, while important to her plan, wasn't her ultimate creation.

Top Bottom