• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Why?

Because
Chris flies a jet? Because Piers shoots lightning?

Leon's final boss is the only thing that even comes close, and it was pretty awesome... but it doesn't compare to a shirtless Wesker yelling at Chris in a volcano. Nothing comes close to that

You clearly played as Chris and not as Piers :)

He doesn't just "shoot lightning". He rips his fucking arm off, injects himself the virus (which is a death sentence = OMG! Awesome! How bad ass is this guy), and grows a mutated arm that shoots charged up lightning! (Just read this sentence over and over again)

I never use the word EPIC. But this almost forces me to do so...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Why?

Because
Chris flies a jet? Because Piers shoots lightning?

Leon's final boss is the only thing that even comes close, and it was pretty awesome... but it doesn't compare to a shirtless Wesker yelling at Chris in a volcano. Nothing comes close to that

Well very few antagonists can compare to the awesomeness that was RE5, that much is true. But in terms of pure spectacle I think RE6 outclasses RE5.

Now, some people might argue that makes RE6 the lesser game since RE is all about quiet, creepy moments, but I rather enjoyed the balls-to-the-wall action set pieces of RE6, moreso than the ones in RE5. When (Jake 3)
you were about to escape the Chinese mansion and you see a tank smash through the wall,
bricks were shat.

Took me a lot longer than I care to admit to figure out how the stupid climbing quick time prompts worked.

Though in my defense the prompts fucking sucked.

Yea the QTE prompts are really awkward at times. So many times died in a QTE just because didn't quite know what it was telling me to do.

Now, some people might argue that makes RE6 the lesser game since RE is all about quiet, creepy moments, but I rather enjoyed the balls-to-the-wall action set pieces of RE6, moreso than the ones in RE5.

Many are considering it a lesser game due to many other issues, not just atmosphere. The game does a ton of things poorly. They reached far but in almost every aspect have flawed implementation in every aspect of the game.

GeekyDad

Many are considering it a lesser game due to many other issues, not just atmosphere. The game does a ton of things poorly. They reached far but in almost every aspect have flawed implementation in every aspect of the game.

Just curious to some examples you might offer.

Regarding the climbing QTE I can see how that might be an issue for many. I didn't have much problem with them, but that may be because of familiarity with a less-taxing version of this alternating L/R climb mechanism in a couple climbing scenes in Silent Hill Downpour.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I wasn't saying that was the only reason people dislike RE6, but it is something that comes up a lot. Personally I think RE6 does pretty much everything better than RE5 (with the exception of having a memorable villain), but many people disagree with me. Some people hated the QTEs, I didn't really mind them and in some cases I really enjoyed them (the end of Jake 2 and Jake 5, for instance). Some people thought the controls were clunky but I personally love the mobility that the game affords you. Some people think fighting humans with guns and rocket launchers in a Resident Evil game is abhorrent, but I thought it was a fun change of pace.

It all comes down to subjective preference, but I think RE6 pretty much destroys RE5 in most aspects.

hamchan

I think what I most like about RE6 over RE5 is that they actually tried to do things differently instead of just making a boring version of RE4 again.

Neiteio

Most people who didn't like it abandoned ship already, the fanboys are now left
To be fair, a lot of people here hated the game at first but then fell in love once it clicked, which varies for everyone. I hated the demo when I tried it, and I didn't go into this game with my mind made up to love it. I'm not a fanboy, either; I've only liked the series since RE4, and most of the people who liked the series pre-RE4 -- the long-time fans -- are the ones most critical of RE6.

Also, a lot of the most vocal detractors would say in the same breath they technically hadn't played the game and instead were going off the reviews -- again, a case where one's mileage will vary. Obviously there are people who have played it and didn't like it for one reason or another, but all things considered, it's not as clear-cut one way or another. And I think as the vitriol of some wears off and others give it a try, hopefully with a basic understanding of the mechanics, they'll find more here to like than they would've thought.

But that will take time, and who knows how gamers will see it down the road. In the meanwhile, there are apparently 600,000 some players concurrently online according to RE.net, and I have to imagine some of them are having fun. Personally, the combat is addictive as hell (said as a fan of other action-fests like Vanquish, Bulletstorm, Kid Icarus Uprising, etc), and I just really dig the setting, characters and overall universe on display here. :)

I quite liked the demo and I quite like the full game. I can see why people hate it though, there's just as many bullshit terrible bits as there are brilliant bits.

Trigger

Maybe it's because I miss Outbreak, but I wish mercs mode was more expansive. It gets old after awhile. I've decided to do a professional run of Jake's campaign for now.

Neiteio

I quite liked the demo and I quite like the full game. I can see why people hate it though, there's just as many bullshit terrible bits as there are brilliant bits.
For me, as a fan of the game (not a fanboy, mind you; I don't excuse individual games because they're part of Series X or Company Y), the tripping points I see with RE6 are:

- A Prelude that gives completely the wrong impression: It restricts certain controller functions with the well-meaning intent to "teach" you basic functions like using the right stick to move the camera, but in so doing creates cognitive dissonance as, say, a QTE has you pushing the left analog any which way (when prompted to "walk") and walking forward regardless.

- The absence of a tutorial: What the Prelude -should've- done is teach all of the amazing new mechanics at your disposal. Instead it relegates the occasional tip to the Loading screen, doing it's best to hide this game's brilliant mechanics.

- QTEs that come out of nowhere with no time to react, or that are poorly telegraphed: It would've helped if they clearly put the world "Hold" and "Tap" for each button in the climbing QTE, or if they noted spinning both sticks fills the spinning QTEs twice as fast. And more lead time to see them coming in the first place would've been great, like when you're falling off a plane or about to be hit by a train. And the slow-mo scenes where you have to shoot something or die should have your gun already out and loaded by default. Still... Cheapness aside, I learn it in a try or two, and can forgive the trial and error for what the game does right.

Those are the main problems I have with the game. They're all ill-informed design choices, but ultimately forgivable because I like the universe this game has established and the basic act of fighting and moving within it, not to mention the sheer volume and variety.

see5harp

So far that's what I've taken from the game only the sole thing I have found great so far is the the graphics. There are just a ton of really poorly done sequences. The non combat stuff once you get to the cathedral is so bad. It's like a few designers played Uncharted and all they could come up with is find two random statues and put them on switches. The narrative is also poor (although I suppose I don't expect or need it to be great). I'm actually getting used to combat but even the worst parts of RE5 like having to wait for AI to open a door is frustrating. The other extremely bad parts I've seen are getting downed, being saved by AI, and then immediately being greeted with a zombie scream that kills you.

Finally got around to actually playing one of the Chapters last night (Chris Chap. 1-2)

Ammo being wasted left and right :/

Cover and shoot system is a pain

I take it I would earn more skill points if I played on a higher difficulty, correct? Cause as of now, I can hardly get any useful skills

Riposte

So far that's what I've taken from the game only the sole thing I have found great so far is the the graphics. There are just a ton of really poorly done sequences. The non combat stuff once you get to the cathedral is so bad. It's like a few designers played Uncharted and all they could come up with is find two random statues and put them on switches. The narrative is also poor (although I suppose I don't expect or need it to be great). I'm actually getting used to combat but even the worst parts of RE5 like having to wait for AI to open a door is frustrating. The other extremely bad parts I've seen are getting downed, being saved by AI, and then immediately being greeted with a zombie scream that kills you.

I've heard dying as you are getting up being a problem, but it has never happened to me. Usually okay once you dodge immediately after the animation. A good solution to that would be to use the Field Medic skill. Though that also makes the game much easier.

Anyway can't say I recommend playing with AI. I went for co-op whenever possible, even if it took me longer to beat the game due to finding games I needed and repeating a few levels.

baekshi

Banned
Decided to test out co-op mercs and did a quick match. My partner and I killed it. 150 combo and the final score was somewhere around 1,111,000. Not bad for my first time with a partner, especially since it was someone random.

If anyone on PSN wants to play some mercs tomorrow just send me an invite. My PSN id is TheMadnessBeast.

What map did you get 150? I can't seem to go over 110~.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to actually playing one of the Chapters last night (Chris Chap. 1-2)

Ammo being wasted left and right :/

Cover and shoot system is a pain

I take it I would earn more skill points if I played on a higher difficulty, correct? Cause as of now, I can hardly get any useful skills

Switch your reticle/laser dot off and use the laser pointer instead. Also don't ever use cover, ever.

I've heard dying as you are getting up being a problem, but it has never happened to me. Usually okay once you dodge immediately after the animation. A good solution to that would be to use the Field Medic skill. Though that also makes the game much easier.

Anyway can't say I recommend playing with AI. I went for co-op whenever possible, even if it took me longer to beat the game due to finding games I needed and repeating a few levels.

I played with the AI my first time on Normal and it was lots of fun. I'm playing Chris' campaign on Professional with the AI and Field Medic makes the game a joke; just set your partner to "follow" and you're practically indestructible.

Neiteio

There are actually some puzzles later on (in Ada's campaign, in particular) that are better than anything in RE4, and frankly the "find a statue/emblem/crest" objective is about as complex as puzzles have been since that game. And RE6 is superior to Uncharted when it comes to actual combat and enemy variety -- it's not even a contest there. I say this as a huge fan of UC2 and UC3. It's kind a moot point since they're attempting different styles, anyway.

I also have to say I really dig the narrative. This game actually has some chemistry between the characters, for starters, and whoever handled the actual voice cast, cinematography, etc, did a superb job putting it all together. :)

Oh shit that reminds me, Walking Dead Season 2 is now on Netflix. Fuck yes, time to catch up.
Best thing I've read in this entire thread. Fuck yes, I can catch up on more of that zombie apocalypse. Season one was amazing.
Capcom already shipped 4.5 million. They make their money when stores purchase inventory from them. I don't think they're going back to the old style of gameplay anytime soon.
I still don't see how it is selling "exponentially" better.
People in this thread seem to be liking RE6. So.. does that mean it's not as terrible as RE5 was?

How's the mood and atmosphere? Atmosphere to me, was the difference between RE4 being a great game and RE5 being an unplayable bore. Being in broad daylight for most of the time removed the oppressive atmosphere which has always been the thing that defined the series and made the games unique and worth playing.
You'd have a lot of trouble finding objective analysis here. Still, it's not the worst thing in the world, but I'd be hard pressed to call it RE. Might be wrong, but I'm not going to get into a fight about it here.
Well RE5 was a fantastic game and so is RE6.
RE5 was a fantastic co-op arcade style experience, a solid to good TPS and a mediocre Resident Evil game.

Spent sixty hours on it myself.

EekTheKat

It seems almost beneficial to slow down on Mercenaries in the beginning to let things ramp up a bit. I've done better on matches where I killed the first few spawns as late as possible to keep the combo going because of dead spots when nothing would spawn.

see5harp

It happened to me during one of those waves where you just have to survive. I can't say I even know how to dodge. I just figured out that my guy can't spam melee because of fatigue. I may actually try and finish up the rest on coop because I really just wanted to get a taste. Gamefly sent me both RE6 and Dishonored and I think I may just finish Leon.

There are actually some puzzles later on (in Ada's campaign, in particular) that are better than anything in RE4, and frankly the "find a statue/emblem/crest" objective is about as complex as puzzles have been since that game. And RE6 is superior to Uncharted when it comes to actual combat and enemy variety -- it's not even a contest there. I say this as a huge fan of UC2 and UC3. It's kind a moot point since they're attempting different styles, anyway.

I also have to say I really dig the narrative. This game actually has some chemistry between the characters, for starters, and whoever handled the actual voice cast, cinematography, etc, did a superb job putting it all together. :)

I haven't played much of the game so I don't know about the narrative and writing of the package as a whole, but from Leon's stuff it seems to be on par with the other games. Enemy variety and combat is ok to me, certainly better than Uncharted which has never been great in the actual shooting parts, but aside from that there's nothing about Leon's chapter that seems finished. The sequence leading to the boss in the Cathedral is so stupid. Maybe if the game took itself less serious it would be easier to swallow.

Neiteio

I still don't see how it is selling "exponentially" better.
4.5 million shipped on Day One. Capcom makes their money when stores buy inventory from them.

It seems almost beneficial to slow down on Mercenaries in the beginning to let things ramp up a bit. I've done better on matches where I killed the first few spawns as late as possible to keep the combo going because of dead spots when nothing would spawn.
The start of a Mercs match is your chance to run around and grab all of the Time Bonuses. On Urban Chaos, assuming I start near the Arcade, I'll grab the one there, then sprint next door for the herb, then run upstairs and drop off the bridge for the bonus on the bus, then drop down and run across the street to grab the green herb and flame grenade, then turn and grab the time bonus in the next two stores (and the red herb there), then auto-mix my herbs while running to the time bonus next to the other bus, and THEN I'll start fighting. For the first dozen some enemies, I'll daze them and melee them, unless I cluster enough to hit the Combo Bonus (green pillars you can shoot out of bounds) -- then I'll gun down as many enemies as possible for the multiplier bonus. And by that point, things are really picking up! :)

I'm still trying to figure out the best approach to Mining the Depths and Steel Beast, though. Those maps are a great deal more complex in terms of pathways and enemy distribution, it seems. I'm really eager to see what the other seven Mercs maps are like (High Seas Fortress, Catacombs, Rail Yard, Requiem for War, Creature Workshop, Rooftop Mission and Liquid Fire).

Riposte

Has there been any word on how many units sold? Shipment is one thing, but I'd like to test my ability to predict sales based on concurrent users. Since I saw +500,000 people at once (I want to say around 700,000) I believe there would probably have to be around 2.5 to 3 million sales in the first two weeks.

EekTheKat

4.5 million shipped on Day One. Capcom makes their money when stores buy inventory from them.

The start of a Mercs match is your chance to run around and grab all of the Time Bonuses. On Urban Chaos, assuming I start near the Arcade, I'll grab the one there, then sprint next door for the herb, then run upstairs and drop off the bridge for the bonus on the bus, then drop down and run across the street to grab the green herb and flame grenade, then turn and grab the time bonus in the next two stores (and the red herb there), then auto-mix my herbs while running to the time bonus next to the other bus, and THEN I'll start fighting. For the first dozen some enemies, I'll daze them and melee them, unless I cluster enough to hit the Combo Bonus (green pillars you can shoot out of bounds) -- then I'll gun down as many enemies as possible for the multiplier bonus. And by that point, things are really picking up! :)

I'm still trying to figure out the best approach to Mining the Depths and Steel Beast, though. Those maps are a great deal more complex in terms of pathways and enemy distribution, it seems. I'm really eager to see what the other seven Mercs maps are like (High Seas Fortress, Catacombs, Rail Yard, Requiem for War, Creature Workshop, Rooftop Mission and Liquid Fire).

Sorry, to be a bit more clear - I do in fact go after as many clocks as possible in the beginning. I stop though the instant my partner kills one since that's my queue to start the combo.

It seems like it's possible to kill too fast in the beginning of Urban Chaos so that it's hard to find a spawn, even after you get all the clocks, resulting in a dead period where it's impossible to continue the combo.

Sometimes it seems like it's beneficial to slow down on combos so either your partner can relocate to a better spot with more spawns or just to not kill faster than the spawns moving in. I run with Combo+ all the time so that gives a pretty large window to find the next spawn before the clock ticks out.

Usually I lose 150 combos in the beginning of Urban Chaos matches due to the lack of spawns if we're killing too fast.

Neiteio

Sorry, to be a bit more clear - I do in fact go after as many clocks as possible in the beginning. I stop though the instant my partner kills one since that's my queue to start the combo.

It seems like it's possible to kill too fast in the beginning of Urban Chaos so that it's hard to find a spawn, even after you get all the clocks, resulting in a dead period where it's impossible to continue the combo.

Sometimes it seems like it's beneficial to slow down on combos so either your partner can relocate to a better spot with more spawns or just to not kill faster than the spawns moving in. I run with Combo+ all the time so that gives a pretty large window to find the next spawn before the clock ticks out.

Usually I lose 150 combos in the beginning of Urban Chaos matches due to the lack of spawns if we're killing too fast.
Yeah, your partner can make or break a Mercs Duo run. I wonder, though: I always use Limit Breaker, but if my partner has Combo+, do I get the time-extending benefits as well?

News Bot

Banned
I hope Capcom eventually makes a III with Revelations, RE6, Damnation and Operation Raccoon City.

ORC has nothing to add, other than maybe concept art.

Would be better if they actually included material from Gun Survivor and Dead Aim. They're part of the canon but apart from GS being mentioned once in Zero and DA being mentioned in a Darkside Chronicles book, they're not covered, despite having quite a lot of things to add to the plot.

GS is like a direct sequel to BH2/3 while DA is like a direct sequel to BH2/BHCV.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Doesn't this skill just extend the time you receive for the green combo crystals?

Bladenic

Is that Archives Bundle worth buying right now or should I hold off for a while?

Or better yet, wait and hope for something that has RE6 included?

Z3M0G

So someone tell me if this is all the DLC we know of so far:

- No Hope difficulty (will be patched in)
- Ada campaign co-op with "Agent" as partner (will be patched in)
- Survivor multiplayer mode (available to 360 owners first)
- Predator multiplayer mode (available to 360 owners first)
- Siege multiplayer mode (available to 360 owners first)
- Mercs map: Rail Yard (preorder bonus first)
- Mercs map: Catacombs (preorder bonus first)
- Mercs map: High Seas Fortress (preorder bonus first)
- Mercs map: Requiem for War
- Mercs map: Creature Workshop
- Mercs map: Rooftop Mission
- Mercs map: Liquid Fire
* Note about last four Mercs maps: Appear to be based on final boss locations for each campaign, plus what looks like Edonia in springtime
- "Classic" PSX skins for Leon, Helena, Chris, Piers, Jake, Sherry and Ada
- Possibly "Agent" as a Mercs character, since his portrait was found via hacking, iirc

Beyond that... Maybe the post-Ada Campaign cutscene involving Jake will turn into a Lost in Nightmare/Desperate Struggle-style DLC chapter or mini-campaign? And I wonder if they'll add any completely new characters to Mercs, like Jill and Sheva, or Barry and Rebecca?

Holy cow, I'll be playing this game forever! This is the first RE where I got hooked on Mercenaries mode. I can't wait to try those other modes!!

Another topic, was anyone else greatly upset when they reached the story point of the tutorial again in Leon's campaign and it
PLAYED OUT COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY
?

EekTheKat

Doesn't this skill just extend the time you receive for the green combo crystals?

Huh..you know reading it again I misread it the first time around. The wording is similar to Time Bonus+ and that one works by breaking the hourglasses.

Maybe it's time to switch to Limit Breaker for the bonus for more than 50 combos. Though the wording of "Go for Broke!" makes me want to try that one instead.

Trigger

Another topic, was anyone else greatly upset when they reached the story point of the tutorial again in Leon's campaign and it
PLAYED OUT COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY
?

That threw me through a loop, but I was playing as Helena so I figured it wouldn't be the exact same.

Nemesis_

Is that Archives Bundle worth buying right now or should I hold off for a while?

Or better yet, wait and hope for something that has RE6 included?

They are separate books.

They're not going to do another print run with an RE6 chapter thrown in, it'll be something you can buy separately.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Another thing I'll give the game props for is enemy design. Some of the C-virus mutants borrowed a page or two from the Dead Space Book of NNNNNNNNGHFUCK!? and even the zombie fodder looks pretty impressive.

GeekyDad

Agreed.

RE6 isn't a copy of anything.... It's it own thing.

It might not be a copy of anything, but it sure does borrow from a ton of games. Just off the top of my head:

The slide to cover is, of course, Vanquish
The counter is almost identical to the counter system in Onimusha 4
And both the Quickshot and Dodge mechanics remind me of elements of God Hand

The progression of the co-op gameplay also feels like it has more in common with Left 4 Dead than past RE games. None of these observations are criticisms, either.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I love the monster designs of this game, but the enemies reminded me way more of the Siren games than Dead Space. It has to do with the humans turning into bugs thing, and some of the enemies in RE6 are very similar to some of Siren's enemies.

Neiteio

Yeah, count me in the camp that loves RE4, RE5, Revelations AND RE6, and that finds the lot of them richer for the fact that each is distinctly different while still having something of an action-packed core (Revelations included, as clearing out hundreds of Hunters in Raid will attest!).

Trigger

I love the monster designs of this game, but the enemies reminded me way more of the Siren games than Dead Space. It has to do with the humans turning into bugs thing, and some of the enemies in RE6 are very similar to some of Siren's enemies.

I feel the same. When I saw the
spider like creatures in Chris's campaign I thought of Siren.
I love how freaky the enemies were in this game.

Dusk Golem

I feel the same. When I saw the
spider like creatures in Chris's campaign I thought of Siren.
I love how freaky the enemies were in this game.

That was one of them, another one that instantly reminded me of a Siren enemy was the
exploding magot enemies, they look so much like one of the hive mind enemies in Blood Curse.
I want to clarify this similarity is not a bad thing in my eyes at all.

Neiteio

That was one of them, another one that instantly reminded me of a Siren enemy was the
exploding magot enemies, they look so much like one of the hive mind enemies in Blood Curse.
I want to clarify this similarity is not a bad thing in my eyes at all.
The
red-goo-spitting mutation with the head resembling two bee stingers
was also Siren-esque in the most delightful way. I loved the whole insect motif to the mutations in general. I know that humanity is vaccinated against the C-Virus at the end of RE6 (not a spoiler to say they save the day!), but I sure wouldn't mind some unvaccinated insurgents or whatever still using the C-Virus to turn themselves into J'avo-esque creatures.

Dusk Golem

The
red-goo-spitting mutation with the head resembling two bee stingers
was also Siren-esque in the most delightful way. I loved the whole insect motif to the mutations in general. I know that humanity is vaccinated against the C-Virus at the end of RE6 (not a spoiler to say they save the day!), but I sure wouldn't mind some unvaccinated insurgents or whatever still using the C-Virus to turn themselves into J'avo-esque creatures.

One of the files mentions that The Family gets a sample of the strain of C-Virus that transforms Simmons from his corpse and want to research it.

I love the bug motif too, though given the C-Virus is admittedly a sort of, for lack of a better term, bullshit virus as I like to call it. I'll accept the bug mutation theme which is prevalent, but I will admit
the giant snake, shark, wolf, blob monster, and dinosaur were kind of pushing it, even if I am all for variety.

Teknoman

The only thing about Chris scenario I didnt like is that there werent that many boss battles, or at least memorable ones. Last boss fight was kinda cool though.

EDIT: C-virus was supposed induce plant/insect like mutations since its got elements
of T-Veronica strain
right? But whats up with people becoming zombies in the gas based attacks? A different strain, or a different effect when its not injected directly?

Also whats up with Jake being pissed
off at Chris for killing his dad? Was Wesker that good of a father to him, or just something where he didnt get to know him and now he never will?
I havent played Jake's scenario yet, so maybe i'll get some answers there.

Top Bottom