• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Bladenic

I still wonder why capcom feels the need to add new characters every game.
Mainly because they do a pretty good job of making new charcaters for the franchise.
Yet in the next game people are just going to dissapear like they never existed.

I hope one day they just have a huge RE game where everyone meets up or something.

The really insulting thing to fans of the franchise, especially RE2, notable in this game is that
all the RE2 main characters show up and are playable here, except CLAIRE. Poor her.

And yeah, it seems beside the core cast of Leon, Chris, Jill, Ada, and Claire (lol) all the other characters are relegated to one appearance each, even if they survive.

Basically, if you didn't debut in the first two games, sucks to suck.

Sherry is an aversion now, but it took her 14 years to avert this so... I do have a feeling both Jake and Sherry will reappear, especially Jake.

Dreamer RD

Havent collected all bsaa emblems, so interested to know something about Jake.
How come that Wesker is his father? I mean, real biological father? Thought read somewhere that he cant have children. And who was his mother?

Beth Cyra

I don't know.

Jake was alright. I got to admit while I didn't care for him as much as Chris, Leon, and Piers he was better then Sherry or Helena.

Helena is easily the worst, and totally pointless in my mind. I really do believe she is the single worst character RE has had outside of Steve Burnside.

Just finished the 3 main campaigns and started Ada's. Beat Chris/Jake/Leon's in normal/veteran/professional respectively, 100% in local co-op. I've also unlocked the 3 main partner characters in mercenaries, also in co-op. Jake's is definitely my favorite, with the other two being about even. Leon's campaign is insane with the amount of unique events and the length compared to the other two, but I also felt like it had the worst problems. Mercenaries is the best so far if disappointingly short on content compared to the story options. I'm really looking forward to Agent Hunt.

As it is, it's probably my second favorite RE game after RE4, just beating out REmake. So much variety that I can overlook some of the silliness, and the fact that I played in local co-op eased most of the design issues I would have probably otherwise had. The gameplay is by far the best out of the whole series, and the production values are through the roof. Voice acting is also the best in the series, if the story itself is a little scattered. Other than some overly dark levels, the only real issue I had was one game-breaking glitch where I would keep sliding down a rope at the end of Leon's campaign, and I couldn't die or quit the game.

Nemesis_

And she can play piano like a pro. Hot.

tumblr_mc1u6lpCgC1rqdof9o2_500.gif

Pretty disappointed they totally missed a perfect moment to throw in a bit of fan service here.

Where the FUCK was Moonlight Sonata?

Amalthea

Banned
Pretty disappointed they totally missed a perfect moment to throw in a bit of fan service here.

It would be funny if she plays the whole In a Gadda da Vida, unskippable. Would kind of fit the game with going overboard with everything.

Bladenic

Jill isn't in this game though.

I thought the piano was a throwback to RE0 where Billy played the piano a lot better than Rebecca.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You guys crazy, Helena is amazing. Plus she's damn hot. Her script is a little lackluster but you get the feeling that of all the main characters she has the biggest drive to find out what's going on and put a stop to it, especially after what happens in chapter 2.

Also holy hell, some of those chicks are smoking. ^^

Feindflug

I don't know their names. Helena is Natasha something.

Wow @ real life Ada & Helena, real life Sherry is cute too. :p

Back into the game I finished Chris's scenario yesterday on Professional playing at co-op and loved every minute of it, even the weaker first chapter was really fun...then almost immediately we started Leon on Pro, it's the third time I'm playing this campaign and I'm still impressed by some moments in the first chapter with the
underground train tunnel
being some of my favorite moments in the whole game, visually and atmosphere wise it's really amazing.

I just love the whole world has gone to shit feel of Chapter 1, Capcom really nailed that and maybe it is one of the few times that I've felt like this in a game..you can almost taste the despair and the overwhelming situation the world is in, really great stuff.

Also we managed to get the I Prefer Them Alive achievement which I wouldn't thought was possible on Pro, took us a few tries but we finally did it and I must say it felt good doing that on Pro. :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Who is the girl that is based on Sherry?

Pretty sure Sherry is based on the girl, not the other way round.

But anyway, I would argue that Helena is actually one of the better developed characters in the game. In a way their campaign is Helena's story, and Leon is just along for the ride. Helena gets (major game spoilers)
double crossed by Simmons who uses her sister to instigate a bioterror attack and turn the president into a zombie, and then she tries to rectify it by going after Simmons and finishing what she started.
What's Leon's purpose in the campaign? Honestly I think he's just there as a co-op partner for Helena, as weird as that sounds. Helena definitely has a well defined purpose in the plot as a whole.

So I finished all four campaigns but I still have no idea where the story leaves off.
Did they use Jake's anti-bodies to cure the C-virus and all is well in the world now? Or what? Who's running Neo-Umbrella now that Simmons and the Ada clone are gone? And why are BOW's still coming for Jake? I assume the answer for that one is to make the next virus stronger, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Hooray, just beat all the campaigns on Professional. Now to round up the remaining trophies (gotta grind for skill points).

Congrats. Did you jump straight into it on Professional? I'm just wrapping up my first now and plan on jumping back in on Pro but with Firearm lvl 3 and unlimited ammo it should be a joke.

I've had enough Laura Bailey, tbh. She's been in like 90% of the games I've played over the past four years.

I'm the same with Troy Baker, to be honest. Two of next years biggest games, and he's the lead character in both. I haven't even seen amazing range on the guy yet. With exception of being Two-Face in Batman: AC, he's pretty much always Snow from FFXIII by default. At least Nolan North can do different voices, and Roger Craig Smith is pretty vastly different as Ezio, Chris and Sonic.

AlexBasch

Helena is easily the worst, and totally pointless in my mind. I really do believe she is the single worst character RE has had outside of Steve Burnside.
See, I understand that GAF is all about hyperbole and exaggeration, but come on. No one can top the stupidness of that goddamned kid.

sugarless

But anyway, I would argue that Helena is actually one of the better developed characters in the game. In a way their campaign is Helena's story, and Leon is just along for the ride.

Totally agree. I love Helena too, played as her in the Leon/Helena campaign and very much felt like all things being treated equally she could have been elevated to main character status if it wasn't for the fact that Leon was never going to take the partner role in a million years.

It wasn't Shakespeare, but somehow the whole
Deborah
thing touched me, especially the scene where
Deborah is dragged away and Helena screams desperately
(some really great voice work by Laura Bailey there). And something about
Deborah's scream and expression as Helena lets go of her hand in the pit
just sent a chill down my spine.

She's also pretty badass in Mercs using her alternate costume loadout, not to mention managing to pull off the ridiculous police skirt outfit ^^

News Bot

Banned
So I finished all four campaigns but I still have no idea where the story leaves off.
Did they use Jake's anti-bodies to cure the C-virus and all is well in the world now? Or what? Who's running Neo-Umbrella now that Simmons and the Ada clone are gone? And why are BOW's still coming for Jake? I assume the answer for that one is to make the next virus stronger, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

1) Jake's anti-bodies were used to create the "Anti-C" vaccine, but the BSAA are tracking him down again due to a fear that a newer C-Virus will be created.

2) Neo-Umbrella was led by Carla Radames and is now defunct. The Family were led by Simmons, and they have chosen a new leader and recovered the enhanced C-Virus from Simmons' corpse.

3) The B.O.W.s aren't necessarily going after Jake. B.O.W.s will attack anyone, and Jake seems to be actively going after them.

GeekyDad

Holy fucking shit, Jake's campaign should have been RE6. They should have scrapped Leon and Chris' stories altogether and riffed on Jake. Best story, best action, best mechanics, best music, best fucking, rock-hard ending. Still far from perfect, but chapter 5 was the satisfaction I was waiting for. Now we're fucking talking!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think Helena is cuter than her real life counter part.

I think this is true of all the characters... capcom has some talented/smart artists.

edit: Jake was my least favorite out of the four. haha

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fucking shit, Jake's campaign should have been RE6. They should have scrapped Leon and Chris' stories altogether and riffed on Jake. Best story, best action, best mechanics, best music, best fucking, rock-hard ending. Still far from perfect, but chapter 5 was the satisfaction I was waiting for. Now we're fucking talking!

dillonpredator.gif

Trigger

The artists behind RE have always created some good looking and very human looking leads.

Holy fucking shit, Leon's campaign should have been RE6. They should have scrapped Jake and Chris' stories altogether and riffed on Leon. Best story, best action, best mechanics, best music, best fucking, rock-hard ending. Still far from perfect, but chapter 1 was the satisfaction I was waiting for. Now we're fucking talking!

I fully agree.

Esura

Banned

100% agreed.

EDIT: LOL at the bolded though. Don't remember seeing that in his campaign.

Bladenic

Out of all the characters, Piers looks almost exactly like his RL counterpart. Why is Chris not shown? Actually isn't he Roger Craig Smith himself?

Evolved1

Well aren't you a joker.

Jake >>> Leon = Chris >>>>>> RE:ORC >> Ada.

I almost spit out my coffee. As someone still struggling to even get past the first level of the putrid shitpile ORC I'm hoping you're having a little bit of fun here... and cannot be serious.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I almost spit out my coffee. As someone still struggling to even get past the first level of the putrid shitpile ORC I'm hoping you're having a little bit of fun here... and cannot be serious.

Haha I actually haven't played ORC yet, but Ada left a terrible, terrible taste in my mouth.

Edit: I still do want to play ORC though. I can't imagine it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Right?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Well I decided to get this game since I wanted a good coop experience with the girl friend and did all of Jakes and some of Leons. Damn the game play is still a ton of fun and definitley one of the best local coop experiences I have played this generation so Kudos to Capcom for that. Not too sure on the Perk system however, the guns felt too weak and light compared to the previous games (4/5). It missed that certain charm with the reloading and animations during combat but the free flow dodging mechanics are a great addition. Looking forward to continuing Leons campaign next weekend.

Also the C Virus is pretty damn good and a clever way of pleasing all kind of fans.

Evolved1

Haha I actually haven't played ORC yet, but Ada left a terrible, terrible taste in my mouth.

You should buy it and we can suffer through it together... actually, you really shouldn't buy it, ever, that was terrible advice, but if someday you have a moment of weakness, or the kind of cat-killing curiosity that leads one to make such a colossal mistake as buying this piece of filth, then yes, at that point, I think you should help me play through it. And we can suffer together. Laugh until we cry, and cry until we laugh. And then you can apologize to the cosmos for your blasphemy.

Sectus

Edit: I still do want to play ORC though. I can't imagine it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Right?

It's pretty bad. You know how some people are claiming Resident Evil 6 is just a Gears of War/Call of Duty clone? Well, that argument would actually make sense if used for ORC. It's insanely generic, and really buggy as well.

Top Bottom