• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You're right. Playing RE6 and then going back to Relevations just shows you how advanced RE6 is and that it is the right direction for the series. The controls are way better, the action, strategy, and variety is way better, the technical side of things is far more precise in both hit detection and function, there is a lot more room for your own style, the enemies are much more interesting, the concept of BOWs is far more developed, the environments are simply the difference between AAA console and AAA handheld, and the stories are way better.

I really don't understand how anyone can play them both and act like Revelations is clearly above. I can only assume they have extremely limited notions of what an RE game should be and want to be restricted. I personally think many people have the series all wrong, not only in its natural development path but even in how they look back on it. There has been a lot more to it for a long time, and serious fans who played the games multiple times and at a high level have known these elements and enjoyed them for years.

I mean, Mercenaries technically started in RE3, and Extreme Battle was put into RE2 for Dual Shock version which became a more full mode in Code Veronica. It has been an ever-developing part of the series ever since, and the high level of play those modes pushed gamers into affected how they took on the story mode. Developing skills and becoming familiar with were, the rankings and scores became more meaningful and some people were even doing crazy shit like knife-only runs.

Capcom listened to fans more than mainstream conceptions. RE6 takes steps forward in several different respects for the series itself and innovates the whole genre in how a 3rd person shooter can play and work online. Revelations is a surprisingly rich experience for a 3DS game, and manages to hang in with where the series is overall, but it has nothing on RE6. Also I have to throw in a specific agreement with the fact the enemies are so damn awkward they are actually comical. I don't know how they were ever meant to be scary, but they serve their role for Raid mode decently well I guess.

As for Raid mode, it is a lot nicer than the story mode, just being free to run through shit without a concern for pickups and very minimally for keys. It makes the whole thing faster and it can be pretty fun. Just this evening I had a hell of a time getting the trinity bonus in Stage 7 and it felt pretty good once I finally did seal a flawless run. Making points and leveling up in the process of working on something like that has a nice momentum to it. There are benefits to the level-ground strategy in RE6 modes but it could benefit from having some similar momentum element working with the website.

Mr_Zombie

@ilnadmy heh okay ^^

This game is funny. Chris campaign is a third person (COD style) shooter but there's almost no ammo. lol.

But... there's plenty of ammo. Almost every enemy you killed leaves you some ammo. The only moment when I almost ran out of ammo in Chris' campaign was during the final boss fight.

Dice

There is especially a lot of ammo if you use the item drop bonus. And if you conserve ammo by using stun into melee attacks or counters you'll have so much ammo you'll have to delete stuff if you want to pick up herbs. This is even true in the Leon campaign which is supposed to be more RE2-esque.

To sum up Revelations - it's Dead Aim 2.

I enjoyed Dead Aim more
I never played it but looking on youtube right now this seems completely true.

Dead Aim has better enemies.

Carbonox

There is especially a lot of ammo if you use the item drop bonus. And if you conserve ammo by using stun into melee attacks or counters you'll have so much ammo you'll have to delete stuff if you want to pick up herbs. This is even true in the Leon campaign which is supposed to be more RE2-esque.

I never played it but looking on youtube right now this seems completely true.

Dead Aim has better enemies.

It truly does. They're very Resident Evil-y but also nail the nautical theme perfectly.

It is nice to see the Hunters return to Resident Evil in Revelations though but they're just as cannon fodder as other enemies. I remember when they used to be incredible threats. The 'Nope' meme was so suitable for them in the older games. Now they're reduced to shite like everything else (see Lickers in RE5). :(

But... there's plenty of ammo. Almost every enemy you killed leaves you some ammo. The only moment when I almost ran out of ammo in Chris' campaign was during the final boss fight.

I have to disagree. I'm constantly out of ammo. I get 10 shots (!!!) for my rifle from dead bodies (but most of the time it's just XP).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have to disagree. I'm constantly out of ammo. I get 10 shots (!!!) for my rifle from dead bodies (but most of the time it's just XP).

Equip the Item Drop Bonus skill. I was running out of ammo in Chris' campaign until I equipped that skill, then I was swimming in it.

For what it's worth, Umbrella Chronicles on the Wii is pretty fun. It takes you through RE0, REmake, and RE3 I believe, from a light gun perspective. It's actually surprisingly hard, but it's very immersive and reliving some of those moments from a new perspective is pretty refreshing.

I still need to find Darkside Chronicles for Wii at some point, although it's kinda hard to find.

Equip the Item Drop Bonus skill. I was running out of ammo in Chris' campaign until I equipped that skill, then I was swimming in it.

For what it's worth, Umbrella Chronicles on the Wii is pretty fun. It takes you through RE0, REmake, and RE3 I believe, from a light gun perspective. It's actually surprisingly hard, but it's very immersive and reliving some of those moments from a new perspective is pretty refreshing.

I still need to find Darkside Chronicles for Wii at some point, although it's kinda hard to find.

Thanks, I'll try it!
Is there any chance of getting Resi 1/Zero HD remakes? Or is the remake stuff Nintendo exclusive?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, I'll try it!
Is there any chance of getting Resi 1/Zero HD remakes? Or is the remake stuff Nintendo exclusive?

Doubtful. For one I think Nintendo holds the rights to those games, and for another the backgrounds are all pre-rendered, which means an HD remaster would require redoing every single background in HD.

Dice

You can play them on dolphin but I forget what kind of voodoo it took to make the sound work properly. A Wii would work decently well but still wouldn't look as nice as a quality CRT.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have a Wii hooked up to my TV with component cables and REmake looks good. It doesn't look great, but for a sub-HD game that came out in 2002 being played on an HDTV it looks damn good.

What a shame :/
I really want to play the first three games again but I can't stand the pixelated visuals on my HD-TV :(

edit: I would buy the remakes for Wii but they seem to be sold out everywhere here in germany.

Carbonox

What a shame :/
I really want to play the first three games again but I can't stand the pixelated visuals on my HD-TV :(

edit: I would buy the remakes for Wii but they seem to be sold out everywhere here in germany.

I have REmake and RE0 on the Gamecube but had to throw my Gamecube out cos it wouldn't work. :(

I don't want to buy a Wii but otherwise I have no method of every playing them again. Shame these two games will never see the light of day on a PlayStation console.

Once I'm done with Revelations I will buy the Chronicles collection. Then the RE4/CVX HD bundle and then I'm covered for the series. Might pick up the first 3 PSOne classics as well just so it's all on my HDD rather than in their physical form on my shelf.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have REmake and RE0 on the Gamecube but had to throw my Gamecube out cos it wouldn't work. :(

I don't want to buy a Wii but otherwise I have no method of every playing them again. Shame these two games will never see the light of day on a PlayStation console.

Once I'm done with Revelations I will buy the Chronicles collection. Then the RE4/CVX HD bundle and then I'm covered for the series. Might pick up the first 3 PSOne classics as well just so it's all on my HDD rather than in their physical form on my shelf.

You can always play them on Dolphin on your PC.

I never actually played RE0, although I've heard that it's not a great game. Still, I kinda want to experience it for myself.

Mr_Zombie

You can always play them on Dolphin on your PC.

I never actually played RE0, although I've heard that it's not a great game. Still, I kinda want to experience it for myself.

I've played it just once (on a rented GameCube) and it was ok. However, I would consider it the worst out of all classic main Resident Evil games (RE0 - RECV):
- the backtracking is tiresome - after a while you just know that the key you've just found is for the door on the other side of the building.
- enemies are nothing special (apart from the leechman, it is cool)
- story is almost non-existent; the only reason for you to visit locations is to simply move forward, because neither Rebecca nor Billy know where they are, what they should do and where are they heading - there's no plan, they simply improvise; and there's the villain -
one problem is his character design - singing Marcus that looks as if he was taken straight out of Final Fantasy game; but what got me most is the relationship between Becca and Billy and Marcus: you only meet him once, just before the final battle, so main characters learn about him and the story of his assassination that lead to current events literally 10-20 minutes before the game ends; until then they only read about his earlier experiments in various documents
- no-chest system allows you to drop items on the floor, but on the other hand, there's a limit on how many items can be stored in one room so in the end you will end up constantly open map looking for this and that item that you left somewhere in the location you are at; not to mention, when you move from one main location to another, and want to take all the items with you, be ready to do some running back and forth between those locations :|
- a small annoyance, but there were at least two companies responsible for FMVs for this game (probably ROBOT and another one) and thus there is a noticeable inconsistence in FMVs quality: some of them look great, others look very plastic (you can tell just by looking at Rebecca's model)

It has some beautiful backgrounds, though. The moving train and Marcus' office with a huge aquarium were beautiful to look at.

a-resident-evil-zero.jpg

ME0000932991_2.jpg

I miss survival horror/ adventure games. Look at the details. Just like Silent Hill 2/3 (HD) the visuals will never look bad/old because of the pre-rendered backgrounds. It's still beautiful...
I have no idea why developers don't use this technique anymore.

Dice

So I was playing Leon Chapter 2 again and I did this amazing move where I ran up behind a bloodshot and grabbed it as it leaped for Helena and threw it on the ground in the opposite direction. It was basically this awesome:

ibcKKQVkYJVRXv.png

I'm not going to play again so hopefully this score is enough to have me in the top 100.

Carbonox

So I beat Umbrella Chronicles and all its chapters (bar the silly secret one). Aside from seeing things in Wesker's perspective, it's a pretty fucking terrible game.

Started Darkside Chronicles straight after and this feels more like a robust game in every way with more detailed remakes of RE2 and I'd imagine CVX (once I get to it as I'm currently in the second part of Operation Javier). Sure, events don't play out like they do in the actual games but it's better than UC's attempts. Claire is stunning as well. :lol

One of the biggest stand-outs though is the horrendous enemy design for Operation Javier. Like seriously, they make Revelations' enemies look like award-winning designs. OJ's designs look like they were done by some basement-dwelling RE fanfic writer who's overdosed on Fanta. The first boss and that skinny monkey/dinosaur/whatthefuckidonteven enemy you see for the first time in the second segment of OJ............I couldn't stop laughing.

I know Capcom aren't lazy with their enemy designs - RE5 and RE6 showcase some great designs, with a few exceptions (COUGHCHAINSAWS&GIGANTESEVERYWHERECOUGH). Still, there seems to be some semblance of decent designers in that shit dump company.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
OJ's designs look like they were done by some basement-dwelling RE fanfic writer who's overdosed on Fanta.

I don't know why, but this made me laugh pretty hard.

Umbrella Chronicles was fun for me for the parts I played (I think I made it through RE0, RE1, and RE3). It's definitely not an easy game though, as several parts took me multiple tries to get through. That part in RE3 I think where you go into the dark hallways and Hunters jump out at you from every direction was a PAIN. Oh, and the Tyrant and Nemesis boss fights were also damn difficult.

Still need to finish off that game and then try to track down Darkside Chronicles for Wii.

Zoggy

i also played revelations after 6 after hearing about how its "true RE and going back to its roots"

if thats "true" RE then i'm perfectly fine with the route 6 took. much better game.

Carbonox

Finished Darkside Chronicles. Operation Javier is nonsense but I enjoyed playing through the CVX chapter. Though again some events were out of order, it made me remember how much I loved CVX (the game). The atmosphere, the enemies (I fucking love the Bandersnatch enemies), the creepy Ashfords, the MUSIC, it was one of the strongest RE games for me. Gonna buy the HD version (along with RE4) so I can go through it properly again.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I like that this is turning into a general RE discussion thread. I played about an hour or so of REmake yesterday, which I've been meaning to do for a while. I had a save file that I picked up, but for whatever reason I don't seem to have the closet key for the costume closet, even though I started a new game using "Once Again" mode. Weird.

Anyway I played up to the point where you get the Armor Key, which was pretty fun. Planning which zombies you will leave alive and which ones you can dodge is pretty entertaining, especially when you are able to make a run from one end of the mansion to the other and back without using any ammo or losing any health. Few games can match the tension involved.

I'm getting to the point though where I don't remember what the puzzles are, so things might start getting a little more messy when I can no longer work from memory. Once I'm done with this game I want to tackle Code Veronica X HD, which I played a little bit of but didn't get very far in. Maybe afterwards I'll try to find a copy of Zero and play through that as well.

Trickster

Why the fuck do almost every single area with enemies in this game have infinte spawn? It's absolutely ruining any hope I could have of enjoying this game...

Trickster

Umm no they don't. Where are you right now?

About halfway through the 3 first campaigns. Most areas seem to just keep having enemies spawn until I leave the area or the objective in the area is cleared.

I could give you examples, but that just seems pointless considering the amount of places it happens.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
About halfway through the 3 first campaigns. Most areas seem to just keep having enemies spawn until I leave the area or the objective in the area is cleared.

I could give you examples, but that just seems pointless considering the amount of places it happens.

That's weird. The only place I know enemies constantly spawn is in certain boss fights as a source of ammunition (i.e. the gigante you fight as Chris and Jake). Otherwise there are a certain number of enemies in the level and they don't infinitely respawn. There are triggers where enemies will spawn if you cross a certain threshold, but other than that you can generally kill all the enemies in an area.

Archon473

You do not always need to confront or kill enemies to advance. Conserve your ammo and look for an exit.

Mr_Zombie

That's weird. The only place I know enemies constantly spawn is in certain boss fights as a source of ammunition (i.e. the gigante you fight as Chris and Jake). Otherwise there are a certain number of enemies in the level and they don't infinitely respawn. There are triggers where enemies will spawn if you cross a certain threshold, but other than that you can generally kill all the enemies in an area.

There are few spots where enemies do constantly respawn, even outside boss battles. IIRC the garage part in Leon's 1st chapter was one of them. There are also few spots in Chris' 2nd chapter that I remember of, where enemies constantly respawn until an objective is cleared (e.g. the area where Finn is setting a bomb to destroy a truck, while you fend off enemies) or until you reach a certain point (e.g. the whole bridge segment).

However, as Archon473 said, you don't need to kill all those enemies; they are there to create a pressure. Just run to the exit or complete an objective.

Trickster

I dunno man. Some places just have a ridiculous amount of enemy spawns. Take the Cemetary in Leons campaign chapter 2. I think I spend 10-15 minutes there, and zombies just kept popping up from the ground.

You do not always need to confront or kill enemies to advance. Conserve your ammo and look for an exit.

Yeah that's basically what I'm doing. My problem with having to play like that, is that it creates a constant level of stress in the player. There's hardly any time to "deload" from the pressure the game forces on you, due to the sheer number of enemies in the game (don't get me wrong, this kind of game should have the player feel pressured and stressed out some of the time. It's just way to much in RE6 imo).

Another problem I have with enemies that just keep on spawning and spawning. Is that it makes killing enemies feel pointless. You kill 5 enemies, and then you just have 7 more coming immediately. Again, this would be fine some of the time. But when it's pretty much every single fight it just ends up making me unmotivated to keep playing through all the fighting stuff, which seem like 80% of the game so far.

Riposte

I was banned when the thread came up, but hearing the devs talking about looking towards Revelations as inspiration for the future really gets me pessimistic. I hope they don't destroy what they've built, which is one of the best TPS series on the market. Revelations doesn't even begin to rank. RE6 is the better game and it is the better Resident Evil game. It feels like RE:R gets most of its prop due to people being glad it is not RE6. I'm sure there are true fans, but the whole idea that it is a return to form seems to be mostly backed by casual observers set in their ways.

Dice

I'm sure there are true fans, but the whole idea that it is a return to form seems to be mostly backed by casual observers set in their ways.
I wouldn't be surprised if most people who praise Revelations over RE6 only ever played Remake... and didn't actually beat it.

I didn't see that about them looking to Revelations after having made a far superior product. Hopefully they just enjoy the momentum of going through Raid mode with the website, because the campaign is basically only advanced as Dino Crisis (yet not as good story, enemies, levels, or weapons) with 3D aiming.

Dice

It's $20 at GMG right now. Tell all your friends to get it.

Meanwhile, oh god why am I tempted to get ORC for $7.50...

RPGCrazied

Finally jumping in. Ordered it with Deadly Premonition. Got it for $20. I had a great time with 5, so I should like this. The only thing that bothered me in 5 was the hideous Shiva A.I. Still can't get over that horrific cover art for 6, that's pretty lazy.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Finally jumping in. Ordered it with Deadly Premonition. Got it for $20. I had a great time with 5, so I should like this. The only thing that bothered me in 5 was the hideous Shiva A.I. Still can't get over that horrific cover art for 6, that's pretty lazy.

I might be the only person who doesn't mind the cover art haha.

Your AI in RE6 is invincible, so don't worry about them and do yo' thang.

RPGCrazied

I might be the only person who doesn't mind the cover art haha.

Your AI in RE6 is invincible, so don't worry about them and do yo' thang.

Nice! Also, how does this run on PS3? 5 was okay, but for some reason the cutscenes looked better than the actual gameplay.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! Also, how does this run on PS3? 5 was okay, but for some reason the cutscenes looked better than the actual gameplay.

The cutscenes in RE5 and RE6 use a beefed up version of the game engine to produce better looking graphics. It's the same situation in RE6.

PS3 I think has a slight latency advantage compared to the 360. I play on the 360 and it runs fine. The PS3 version is the superior one in this case.

I am so sick of Survivors now... it's so damn broken, I really want to enjoy it because I love Resident Evil but OH MY GOD, people make it hard to.

This is how 90% of people play this mode

1. Racing to power weapons
2. Taking advantage of glitches such as climbing invicibility, shooting and switching between weapons to avoid the animations or just spamming all their bullets with it.
3. Quickshoot lock either until you die or if they can't hit you properly they just keep doing it between regular shots

and after all of these cheap "tricks" they praise or taunt you.

Thanks Capcom!

How else are you supposed to play it? And those things you described as glitches are anything but.

How is climbing invicibility not a glitch? You can basically keep jumping up and down on a ledge and never take any damage no matter how much you're getting shot at. The fact that you can cancel animation reload or recoils might not be an actual glitch but it's definitely broken and makes alot of characters overpowered.

Without those things I mentioned the game would be more balanced and games would last more than 1 minute.

In RE5 you had to have skills. In RE6 you don't even how to know how to aim to win...

Seyavesh

I actually really enjoy the campaign direction they were going for with Revelations. Not the portable-designed chapters built like a TV show, but rather the split between a singular survival-horror/action game and action sections from the point of view from other characters.

It really feels like what they were attempting with RE6 but done in a more consistent manner of execution.

Revelations as a game though... Well, ultimately it's alright- no extreme awfuls like RE6, but it certainly doesn't have the highs either. Raid mode is kinda cool, but limited by the game system unfortunately.

It's a very carefully designed game and I can appreciate that. Just, it's designed for portable gaming/the 3DS very explicity. The PC port does it's best to try and hide this, but it's clear through every aspect of the core gameplay.

a-resident-evil-zero.jpg

ME0000932991_2.jpg

I miss survival horror/ adventure games. Look at the details. Just like Silent Hill 2/3 (HD) the visuals will never look bad/old because of the pre-rendered backgrounds. It's still beautiful...
I have no idea why developers don't use this technique anymore.

Firstly: Silent Hill 2/3 are not pre-rendered, it's realtime 3D.

Secondly: Pre-rendered backgrounds look quickly dated, and the examples you give look like grainy shit on a big HD TV today, because the pre-rendered backgrounds were made with a low resolution. The technique leaves no room for fancy moving cameras and often will give awkward points of view when enemies are outside of the picture you are seeing. Upscaling these finished images to higher resolution will do the backgrounds no good in the long run.

I'd like to see a indie game made like the old RE games, with pre-rendered backgrounds and the slow pace of gameplay the series used to have. But thinking that they don't become dated in the visuals and to think they have any future in new, high budget games, is kind of stupid.

Mr_Zombie

Today I learned that pills not only restore your health, but also fully restore your stamina. Yay me. This knowledge already managed to save my butt few times. :D

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Today I learned that pills not only restore your health, but also fully restore your stamina. Yay me. This knowledge already managed to save my butt few times. :D

Yup. Sometimes it's worth using only one or two pills when you're low on health so that you can pop another pill later in the fight when you're in need of stamina.

Top Bottom