• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Is there a way to move the camera further out? I got to Jake's third chapter last night,
where you wake up in the white science facility
, and trying to do melee combat when he takes up literally about a sixth of the screen is just horrible. Stopped playing after finishing Leon's campaign, but decided to finish up the other campaigns so I can strike it from my backlog. Finally managed to get past Jake's chapter 2, which frankly was fucking awful. Goddamn QTE overload.

Also: Sherry is really hot. Not sure of her age in this though; i.e. whether I should feel creepy for saying that. EDIT - according to Wikipedia, RE2 is set in 1998 and RE6 is 2012, so I would guess that makes Sherry at least 22 years old.

BadWolf

Is there a way to move the camera further out? I got to Jake's third chapter last night,
where you wake up in the white science facility
, and trying to do melee combat when he takes up literally about a sixth of the screen is just horrible. Stopped playing after finishing Leon's campaign, but decided to finish up the other campaigns so I can strike it from my backlog. Finally managed to get past Jake's chapter 2, which frankly was fucking awful. Goddamn QTE overload.

Also: Sherry is really hot. Not sure of her age in this though; i.e. whether I should feel creepy for saying that. EDIT - according to Wikipedia, RE2 is set in 1998 and RE6 is 2012, so I would guess that makes Sherry at least 22 years old.

You can adjust the camera from the title screen options (you can't do it in-game), go to camera settings and there should be three options to adjust the field of view towards the bottom. Put all of them to 15 to pull it all the way back. It's the first thing I did when I got the game, makes a huge difference.

And it's safe to have feels for Sherry, she's 6 years older than Jake (she's also older than Helena).

Thanks BadWolf - I changed the camera and it made a huge difference. All of a sudden it felt much more fluid and playable. I don't know why it wasn't like this by default!

BadWolf

No prob, it was something Capcom patched in later after the game released and people complained about the camera being too close.

Ugh, fuck this game. I think I'm done with this mess. Currently on Jake's chapter 3, getting chased by a tank. I'm just not enjoying it at all; every fucking enemy turns into a super-durable mutant monster, I've got very little ammo and the tank is just a goddamn nuisance. I really wanted to be able to finish this game, but it's just so inconsistent and playing it is frankly tiring. I may give Ada's campaign one shot, but otherwise I'm finished with it.

Riposte

Ugh, fuck this game. I think I'm done with this mess. Currently on Jake's chapter 3, getting chased by a tank. I'm just not enjoying it at all; every fucking enemy turns into a super-durable mutant monster, I've got very little ammo and the tank is just a goddamn nuisance. I really wanted to be able to finish this game, but it's just so inconsistent and playing it is frankly tiring. I may give Ada's campaign one shot, but otherwise I'm finished with it.

If you are running out of ammo as late as chapter 3, it could be due to not utilizing melee, counters, or even enemy weak points. Also, I hope you didn't miss the unlockable machine gun!

Seyavesh

shoot the j'avo in the head until they go into something that looks like a stun animation and do the medium stun melee attack

for the guys with shield arms, do a free melee attack on them to stun them for a coup de grace melee

im trying to decide whether or not to do a melee only no damage run for jake but i don't know if i really want to use skills or not 'cuz i feel like melee 3 / defense 3 / combat gauge 3 kinda ultimately removes the 'point' of proving that melee only and no damage are possible

edit: if you're playing as jake, use his hand-to-hand and do quick attacks and the hold aim+attack run attack to knock enemies down/kill them

knocking them down lets you do his special OTG, which is incredible

I've dialled the difficulty down to Amateur (don't glare at me like that!) and I'm gonna push through to the end. Currently on Jake Chapter 4.

The whole motorcycle chase had me chuckling away, it was so absurd. I wonder if they meant it to be this silly while putting it together. I am having fun with it, and there are elements of a really enjoyable game here. It's a shame they're buried under mountains of shit.

Should I do Chris's or Ada's campaign next?

Send to case? Huh? I've spent over a hundred hours in this game and I have no idea what you mean lol.

II'm literally about ten minutes into Pier's campaign, and I've just clicked triangle on a red & green herb mixture and selected "Send to case". I now can't find the herbs anywhere in my inventory and I do not get the same option with ammo or grenades. I wonder what it means.

kasane

II'm literally about ten minutes into Pier's campaign, and I've just clicked triangle on a red & green herb mixture and selected "Send to case". I now can't find the herbs anywhere in my inventory and I do not get the same option with ammo or grenades. I wonder what it means.

i think you put it on the " case " where you can easily eat the herbs

the small case

Ah yes, I think you're right - it's where the herbs become tablets for fast use. Weird terminology though, and again something that the game makes no attempt in explaining.

Almost three years late, and after two years getting this game and hated it, I have found new appreciation for the Mercenaries. Much has been said about the controls and I can't praise them, the control is the next evolution of the actiony-RE4/RE5 and it's so sublime in terms of what you can do. I really love the fact that when it comes to Mercenaries, the game is almost about however you want to play and engage the enemies. I also love that each character and different costume has different layouts so even the same character with the alt costume feels like almost a whole new character. I have liked the control so much that I decided to buy the DLC map pack...why the hell not even though it seemed shady as hell during the game's release. Other maps are too complicated/too large for me to comprehend at this moment, so I just love myself some good ol Urban Chaos - straight forward layouts and straight forward enemies. I will also agree with what has been said before - I hope Capcom doesn't give up the control schemes, they just need to do a way better job in designing levels that make use of these controls and focus on tension/lighting/atmosphere. I still think Resident Evil can still be survival-horrory rather than non-stop action.

Jawmuncher

Glad you came to liking Mercs at least. It is a lot of fun and enjoying the other maps just comes down to playing them more. Though I do agree that the more simple maps I have more fun with. Not a fan of the air field on the ship at all.

Glad you came to liking Mercs at least. It is a lot of fun and enjoying the other maps just comes down to playing them more. Though I do agree that the more simple maps I have more fun with. Not a fan of the air field on the ship at all.

yeah I tried all the maps today...obviously it's only my first time...but some maps are just large, dark, and enemies are annoying (of course I have to learn how to fight them)

and given how awesome merc is I also do agree from opinions of the past that it would have been great to have a reunion of past cast members

and funnily I started playing merc again only because I don't have time to play games for long, so I was thinking of games that I could play drop-in-and-out....then voila

Sora_N

I'm kinda addicted to Mercs.

Despite everyone saying RE5/6 are not 'scary', they make me super nervous still. (Didn't finish RE5 or Revelations)

Merc is mostly action, no story or atmosphere to creep me out.

So the only way to get more maps is DLC huh? I don't know how I feel about paying more since I paid $10 for the PS3 game only, got way more than I paid back now. I only played through Leon and Chris' campaigns, Ada's was too hard/annoying for me. Now I might want to trudge through the campaign so I can use her in Mercs. Bleh.

I wish this was on PS4, wouldn't be expensive for Capcom to do that since they made DmC already. Pretty much plugged my PS3 in just for this and Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires lol.

I'm kinda addicted to Mercs.

Despite everyone saying RE5/6 are not 'scary', they make me super nervous still. (Didn't finish RE5 or Revelations)

Merc is mostly action, no story or atmosphere to creep me out.

So the only way to get more maps is DLC huh? I don't know how I feel about paying more since I paid $10 for the PS3 game only, got way more than I paid back now. I only played through Leon and Chris' campaigns, Ada's was too hard/annoying for me. Now I might want to trudge through the campaign so I can use her in Mercs. Bleh.

I wish this was on PS4, wouldn't be expensive for Capcom to do that since they made DmC already. Pretty much plugged my PS3 in just for this and Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires lol.

I like the dlc maps....I just got them so I don't know them, but they look well made. Ironically I have been sticking with Urban Chaos for now...still learning countering and still trying to get to the all 150 enemies. I have been running out of time ;( or dying.

I gotta give Capcom credit. I linked my account to RE NET and it still works! I have been able to get the EX2 costumes...sweet.

Sora_N

I like the dlc maps....I just got them so I don't know them, but they look well made. Ironically I have been sticking with Urban Chaos for now...still learning countering and still trying to get to the all 150 enemies. I have been running out of time ;( or dying.

I gotta give Capcom credit. I linked my account to RE NET and it still works! I have been able to get the EX2 costumes...sweet.

Gotta sign up for that...

I suck so much at Urban Chaos, not a fan of the map. It's a lot harder due to the skinless zombies, firefighters, armored zombies and fat zombies to me.

I've been able to beat Steel Beast a few times already.

Mr_Zombie

Is it still possible to unlock the retro skins in RE6 PC?

Yes, you just have to participate in the EX3 events (there's one active right now - it ends in 8 hours). Then, when the event ends you are awarded with a ticket that you can spend on a costume - you have to buy it through residentevil.net.

To participate in the event you just have to get one of the required in-game medals. For example in current EX3 event you have to play get one or more of these medals:
  • Piloted the aircraft (Leon Chapter 4)
  • Provided Sherry and Jake backup (Leon Chapter 4)
  • Agreed to fight towards a common goal (Leon Chapter 4 / Chris Chapter 3)
  • Avoided the helicopter's attacks (Jake Chapter 4)
  • Lit the approaching B.O.W. on fire (Jake Chapter 4)
  • Defeated Ustanak with Leon and Helena (Jake Chapter 4)
  • Witnessed an airplane crash (Ada Chapter 3)
  • Saved Sherry from the attacking B.O.W. (Ada Chapter 3)

So basically you just have to play through Leon Chapter 4, Jake Chapter 4 or Ada Chapter 3.

Gotta sign up for that...

I suck so much at Urban Chaos, not a fan of the map. It's a lot harder due to the skinless zombies, firefighters, armored zombies and fat zombies to me.

I've been able to beat Steel Beast a few times already.

Lol I'm the opposite! I like urban chaos because it's straight forward in terms of enemies and items location. I get lost at Steel Beast. Which characters do you like the most?

I really want to like Leon default but he's a bit weak. Chris is a beast but I find him annoying.

Sora_N

Lol I'm the opposite! I like urban chaos because it's straight forward in terms of enemies and items location. I get lost at Steel Beast. Which characters do you like the most?

I really want to like Leon default but he's a bit weak. Chris is a beast but I find him annoying.

Chris is a beast due to the knife. I guess Agent works too.

I tried Helena but not sure if I'm a huge fan of her equips. Especially hate her alt gears.

I'm forcing myself to finish the campaigns now so I can unlock Sherry and the Mine level? Need to finish Ada too. I'll do these slowly since I hate the SP.

Yes, you just have to participate in the EX3 events (there's one active right now - it ends in 8 hours). Then, when the event ends you are awarded with a ticket that you can spend on a costume - you have to buy it through residentevil.net.

To participate in the event you just have to get one of the required in-game medals. For example in current EX3 event you have to play get one or more of these medals:

So basically you just have to play through Leon Chapter 4, Jake Chapter 4 or Ada Chapter 3.

Current status

/10000

Does that mean I'll get a ticket? Don't see any other buttons.

Thanks super helpful! There's still hope for the retro costumes!!!!

Chris is a beast due to the knife. I guess Agent works too.

I tried Helena but not sure if I'm a huge fan of her equips. Especially hate her alt gears.

I'm forcing myself to finish the campaigns now so I can unlock Sherry and the Mine level? Need to finish Ada too. I'll do these slowly since I hate the SP.

Current status

/10000

Does that mean I'll get a ticket? Don't see any other buttons.

Hmm gotta learn how to use the knife...I have been avoiding it. I like Helena OG, and yea the alt is ok. Same with Sherry for me. I'm still learning how to play Ada. I hear you on the campaigns. They can be a drag. I only finished them because during launch they were all I cared about, not the mercs. .

Sora_N

Thanks super helpful! There's still hope for the retro costumes!!!!

Hmm gotta learn how to use the knife...I have been avoiding it. I like Helena OG, and yea the alt is ok. Same with Sherry for me. I'm still learning how to play Ada. I hear you on the campaigns. They can be a drag. I only finished them because during launch they were all I cared about, not the mercs. .

I'm glad I was able to skip that horrible horrible first part of Jake Chapter 2, the snow. Ugh so soo sooo bad. Chapter 3 was awful too.

I'm playing on Easy now, don't even care.

I guess I'm gonna be practicing with Chris or Agent lol.

Yes. Once the event is finished you should receive a ticket.

Cool thanks!

Mr_Zombie

Chris' knife is great since it's really powerful and big enough to hit few enemies at once. And - the best thing about knifes in general - is that a knife kill counts as a melee kill - you get a time bonus :D

I'm glad I was able to skip that horrible horrible first part of Jake Chapter 2, the snow. Ugh so soo sooo bad. Chapter 3 was awful too.

The weird thing about campaigns is that whatever chapter you pick, they are filled with both great and awful sequences. Generally I like Jake Chapter 3 because it has a lot of combat sequences, but at the same there's the annoying tank sequence. I think the only chapter I generally hate is Jake 2: snow blizzard, snowmobile chase, stealth sequence and a lot of QTEs against Ustanak.

I'm playing on Easy now, don't even care.

I guess I'm gonna be practicing with Chris or Agent lol.

Cool thanks!

Yea I don't find the campaigns memorable...all I remember is shoot shoot shoot OMG why won't they die.

Chris' knife is great since it's really powerful and big enough to hit few enemies at once. And - the best thing about knifes in general - is that a knife kill counts as a melee kill - you get a time bonus :D

The weird thing about campaigns is that whatever chapter you pick, they are filled with both great and awful sequences. Generally I like Jake Chapter 3 because it has a lot of combat sequences, but at the same there's the annoying tank sequence. I think the only chapter I generally hate is Jake 2: snow blizzard, snowmobile chase, stealth sequence and a lot of QTEs against Ustanak.

Thanks gonna try the knife now! Ugh I really don't like Chris tho lol. I played just a bit yesterday with Ada Ex at Urban Chaos...died lol and I need to know where enemies spawn around the 50-60 enemies mark...I keep losing my combos not being able to find them

And yea the snow blizzard...pretty but can't see shit. And I hated the stealth sequence against Ustanak. God.

Mr_Zombie

Thanks gonna try the knife now! Ugh I really don't like Chris tho lol. I played just a bit yesterday with Ada Ex at Urban Chaos...died lol and I need to know where enemies spawn around the 50-60 enemies mark...I keep losing my combos not being able to find them

I don't remember what's happening at 50-60 enemies mark, but from what I remember there are two major points where the map can appear to be empty. First is after the first pack of dogs appear. After you deal with them, zombies start to crawl from under shutters on the opposite side of the street to arcade center. Second is... I don't remember at which point it is, but it's the moment when BSAA zombies appear on the bridge above the street.

I don't remember what's happening at 50-60 enemies mark, but from what I remember there are two major points where the map can appear to be empty. First is after the first pack of dogs appear. After you deal with them, zombies start to crawl from under shutters on the opposite side of the street to arcade center. Second is... I don't remember at which point it is, but it's the moment when BSAA zombies appear on the bridge above the street.

Yea for me its after the dogs and after the firemen. I think its right before the bloodshots(?) come out. I feel stuck because I know there are armored (bsaa?) enemies on the bridge but they are armored so it might take longer to take them down.

And fuck the dogs, fuck anything that lunges at me. They take so much health, and sometimes I get up and I get run over by a fattie

I tried to finish all 150 enemies at urban chaos last night with jake. Mind you, not 150 combos, just to kill all 150 of them. I had power counter equipped. I either ran out of time or got mauled to death around the 105-120 mark, where all the enemies startwd to lunge at me. I could be facing a mob and all of the sudden the enemy from the very back would lunge and bite me :(

Mr_Zombie

And fuck the dogs, fuck anything that lunges at me. They take so much health, and sometimes I get up and I get run over by a fattie

For dogs use quick shots. You can also gather them in one place and throw a fire grenade - works like a charm.

If you play as Chris, you can land on your back and just slash them.

For dogs use quick shots. You can also gather them in one place and throw a fire grenade - works like a charm.

If you play as Chris, you can land on your back and just slash them.

Thanks for the tips! The knife one is sick and sounds funny lol. I think I'm going to save my nades too until enemies become faster and harder. I have been using them earlier trying to keep my combos going, especially against the hidden boss and the fatties.

Sora_N

Almost done Jake's story, so glad you can skip to the last sub chapter so I don't have to actually play most of the chapters! Lol.

EDIT: Nice that was fast for that last Chapter lol, only had to QTE for 5 minutes...

Mr_Zombie

It's a completely different game so it's hard to say. Maybe it isn't such a revolution like RE4 was to previous titles, but it's pretty close. It's even more action oriented (it's not a horror anymore; more like a horror-themed action game; although there are few creepy sections), there's a lot of Micheal Bay moments (in a lot of chapters there's an explosion basically every few minutes), more emphasis on fighting (completely overhauled controls, even more focus on melee combat including counters, context sensitive finishers etc) and QTE.

As a fan of the game I can say: very often it's a mess; you can tell the team had a lot of ideas - good and bad - and threw every single one of them into the game. Sometimes it's enjoyable, sometimes very frustrating. While RE5 was a pretty safe game (you could tell the team went by RE4 formula), this is something completely different. In the end the highs are really high, but the lows are really, really low. The combat system and the overall freedom is fantastic (you can run, sprint, roll, jump on your back and keep shooting, duck, slide etc) but the game doesn't have a proper tutorial so you basically have to learn everything by yourself. But once you master it, then oh boy. Monsters are great and really varied - I would say this game has the best bestiary in the whole series, although if you didn't like the idea of gun handling Majini in later RE5 stages, you will hate J'avos.

The story is... very poor. There's some interesting things in the backstory and the overall RE universe, some returning characters and interesting interactions between them, but as it is, the main story is a pure nonsense, even by RE standards.

Graphically it looks a little bit worse than RE5; there's better lighting and the stages are bigger and more complex, but that came at the cost of low-res textures and worse image quality than RE5.

Co-op aspect is a lot better than it was in RE5. If you're playing in single player, your partner is invincible (he/she can be hit, but can't die so you don't have to worry about her/him) and has their own set of weapons so she/he won't steal you ammo. Because of the later, there's also a lot more difference between, say, playing as Chris and Piers. There's also more sections where you're separated from your partner or where you're given different assignments (e.g. in Chris' scenario there's a section where Chris has to rescue a team member, while Piers cover him from a far using his sniper rifle).

Overall, this is a game that you either love or hate. So it's very hard to recommend it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Like the guy above me said, the game has its highs and its lows. I personally never found the lows very low, so your mileage may vary. I really, really enjoyed the campaign and beat it multiple times on various difficulties. Playing this game in co-op is a blast. The combat system is the best in the series (and IMO the best TPS combat system of last gen). However there are some sections of the campaign that can be a drag, and due to the way the campaign is set up with multiple playable characters you will sometimes replay entire levels with a new set of characters.

That being said, it's all worth it for Mercenaries mode. Super addictive mode that deletes all the bullshit aspects of the campaign and replaces it with pure white knuckle Capcom action. I'm talking power ups and multipliers and time extensions and increasing enemy intensity and having to fully learn the intricacies of the combat system in order to get increasing scores. A++ for this mode.

Thanks for the detailed replies folks. I've been in a RE mood lately, playing RE2 for the first time (I know) and revisiting RE4, which remains one of the best games I've ever played. Probably gonna jump into RE3 for the first time (I know!) next, then skip the RE5 replay and move on to RE6.

cj_iwakura

I agree that 6 has highs and lows, but the lows are worse than anything in 5. The highs are pretty great, though.

Overall, I prefer 5, but 6 is worth playing.

RE6 Mercenaries, per usual, is fantastic.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Resident Evil 6 is an action game, you'll have to accept that. Also like RE5, it's designed mostly as a co-op game, so I highly suggest playing with someone all the way through, the game is definitely much more enjoyable in co-op (much like RE5 in that regard).

As others have said, it's very different than RE5 though, I think a lot of the initial hate the game got was partially people trying to play it like RE4/RE5. It has very different mechanics and a big part of the early game is shifting to understand how these mechanics work... You can do combat roles, slide around, melee can be triggered anytime but there's now a stamina meter, with it melee is more important in this game than ever, there's a quick shot ability that depletes stamina, herbs are turned into pills that recover a bit of health for each consumed, you can now do counters if you deflect an attacking right in the few split seconds before they hit you, and more, and the game's enemies are all designed with this new combat system in mind. It's actually a very in-depth combat system, but the game doesn't do a good job at expressing it, and if you try to play it like RE4/RE5, you may find that it's not working/not really fun, as it isn't designed in that way.

As others have also mentioned, the game has some extremes differences in quality through its course. It is almost a definition of valleys and peaks. There are some moments in gameplay that are just engaging, fun, well-designed scenarios, but then there's just as many moments where it feels sloppy, uninspired, dull. It's a very uneven quality campaign, but if anything can be said it has a large amount of variety and it's also super long. There are four campaigns, each composed of entirely unique chapters. Each campaign lasts about 4-7 hours the first time usually, making the game as a whole around 20-25 hours the first time to complete all four campaigns. And there is incentive to play through it more than once, with you weapons obtained, the chapters have some big differences depending which co-op character you play as. You also can unlock unlimited ammo & purchase and upgrade skills, and there a throw-away but sort of fun monster invasion mode (where you can invade other peoples games controlling monsters), and Mercenaries in RE6 is absolutely fantastic, the combat mechanics really shine in Mercs (Mercs No Mercy on PC especially).

There are only three other things I'll add from other people's notices. Firstly, two good things, I think the monsters in RE6 are very under-appreciated. A lot of them look pretty cool/creepy, there's a lot of them, all with their own unique strategies to face them, and the sheer number and variety in them helps to keep the combat exciting. I think the monsters of RE6 don't get mentioned enough with the game, as they do have some twists on classic RE-monster types and fairly original concoctions in the fray as well, and some of the monster designs are well-done. Secondly, the game isn't a horror game, but I'd say it has more atmosphere than RE5, not in a scary way but I feel there are certain segments that resonate more ambiance and tone more than RE5 manages (less than RE4 and older games though).Now a negative I don't see many bring up either; the monsters and mini-bosses are cool, but I actually think this game has worse bosses than RE4, RE5, and Revelations 1 & 2. A lot of the bosses are more spectacle than anything in-depth. There's a few good ones sprinkled in, but I found the bosses as a whole just not up to par with series standards, and most really don't take advantage of the game's mechanics like the regular enemies do (I think Jake's final boss may be the only boss in the game that feels like it's designed around the game's combat), and many of them are just flashy cinematic things.

cj_iwakura

There is a great moment of horror on a massive scale unlike anything I've seen since 3(and way beyond that), I think most know what I mean.

Dusk Golem

There is a great moment of horror on a massive scale unlike anything I've seen since 3(and way beyond that), I think most know what I mean.

Are we talking about Ada's
section where she's in the ship being invaded by Gooey Carla and has faces, arms, and other monstrosities literally coming out of the walls?
If so, that was a really cool moment, I will say.

There's a few good 'horror'-esque sections I can think of, some are let-down a bit, but what I can think of:

-Leon Chapter 1, while I dislike the beginning walking section, I think does a good job at capturing the feeling that the city is going to hell, and I think there's some good zombie movie feels starting around the subways train tunnels area, and going up to the gas station.
-Leon Chapter 2's church gave off some weird RE4-feeling sequences to me, not quite as good but I was reminded of the Castle some, probably due to the sort of atmosphere, slight puzzles and traps.
-Leon Chapter 3, while the segment was ruined by a QTE sequence, I found the swimming underwater section with the giant fish to actually be fairly tense.
-Chris's chapter 2 section of going through the hall and all the monsters awakening was pretty cool and somewhat nostalgic without being overly so.
-Chris Chapter 3 with the giant invisible snake was pretty cool, I think.
-Chris Chapter 4 when you're with the regenerating monsters and collecting key cards actually felt a lot like Revelations to me, but the good parts of Revelations.
-Haos' design, Chris's campaign final boss, I will mention as it legitimately looks creepy.
-Jake Chapter 1's mannequin area was fairly odd and creepy, wish it was expanded.
-Jake's Chapter 2 where you hide and stealth past the bugs I thought was tense, and I've experienced the worst scare I've ever had in RE6 when Ustanak suddenly came crashing through the ice on one playthrough I did with a friend.
-Ada's Chapter 2 has some fun puzzle solving and crypt atmosphere going for it.
-Ada's Chapter 4, the sequence I mentioned at the start of this post.

There's other sections I like a lot, but those were the few that felt sort of horror-esque to me.

cj_iwakura

Are we talking about Ada's
section where she's in the ship being invaded by Gooey Carla and has faces, arms, and other monstrosities literally coming out of the walls?
If so, that was a really cool moment, I will say.

The massive bio attack in China with the thousands of people being infected en masse.

Dusk Golem

The massive bio attack in China with the thousands of people being infected en masse.

Oh my, that's a cool moment, I was actually thinking of including it when I was thinking of things to list, but since it's a bit more of a cool cinematic sequence with some loose combat, I had decided not to list it. But I do like the moment a lot, I agree, and kind of wish they had done more with it.

Mr_Zombie

Like the guy above me said, the game has its highs and its lows. I personally never found the lows very low, so your mileage may vary.

C'mon, the car chase in Chris' scenario? Long, boring, frustrating and goddamn ugly (PS2-level budget game assets everywhere). There was nothing enjoyable about that section, nothing.

The cut-scene is in my top 5 (maybe even top 3) of all cut-scenes from a RE series.

Now a negative I don't see many bring up either; the monsters and mini-bosses are cool, but I actually think this game has worse bosses than RE4, RE5, and Revelations 1 & 2. A lot of the bosses are more spectacle than anything in-depth. There's a few good ones sprinkled in, but I found the bosses as a whole just not up to par with series standards, and most really don't take advantage of the game's mechanics like the regular enemies do (I think Jake's final boss may be the only boss in the game that feels like it's designed around the game's combat), and many of them are just flashy cinematic things.

I agree. A lot of boss battles were trying to be too cinematic for their own sake. A QTE here, a change of mechanics there, quick camera cuts etc. Take the final boss in Leon's chapter 2 for example - the fight is constantly cut to try something different: here you fight with the boss on an arena, then you have to chase it down, then another arena fight, then you are in a mine cart trying to duck the boss, then you have to shoot barrels, then back to ducking the boss, then suddenly it's over and you have a cut-scene out of nowhere. What could be a pretty fun boss fight (the "arena" sections) ended up as confusing and frustrating since it constantly tries to distract/entertain you by providing something new to do instead of focusing on, you know, the boss.

Riposte

C'mon, the car chase in Chris' scenario? Long, boring, frustrating and goddamn ugly (PS2-level budget game assets everywhere). There was nothing enjoyable about that section, nothing.

Of the vehicle sections it's probably the least offensive and it has some hype to it. My only issue with it is that my PS3 controller was buggy when playing on PC so I couldn't go full speed. I had to switch it to emulate a 360 controller.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
RE6 is a brawler.

There's nothing else like it. It's critically underappreciated. Imo the game is basically the next step in the evolution of mechanics that began with RE4 and were (awesomely) expanded in RE5.

Modern RE is much maligned after RE4... but if a person accepts the changes that RE4 introduced (skill shot to set up melee) then you'd expect them to have an open mind to the RE5/6 gameplay (which is fucking awesome) but a lot of people don't. I've written to exhaustion about it too many times to get into it now... but it's pretty messed up how 5/6 are piled on, when they are basically (mechanically) RE4 gameplay that's been expanded and fleshed out.

Seyavesh

jesus christ this game is still the best shooter i've played in the last like 3 years. it's depressing!

i bought wolfenstein: old blood on the hopes of the universal love of it and that game is fucking trash in comparison to re6 no mercy mercs

i actually ended up booting up re6 after having the lingering aftertaste of how lame it was in comparison alongside the new footage of doom showcasing more of that same lame crap...

and it immediately brought me back to being astounded as just how good it is

the ramp up to insane numbers and tension is perfect. there's an insane variety of enemies that you must prioritize based on type, weapon, and reactive mutations- you're always making decisions and reacting based on the situation rather than farting around behind cover popping out shooting the same enemies designed to be threatening only when you're actually attempting to move around and shoot- there's a manic pace to the action that rides the perfect edge between being exhilarating or overwhelming- you're always working to be in control of the situation with your massive array of options

trying rev2 after this is painful, it's truly disappointing how much of a step back that game was mechanically in comparison to re6.

re6 no mercy is the fucking king of third person shooters

even just small common moments like these look so cool, feel cool and are always 100% player controlled
JRkx5Wy.gif

IDiA9e4.gif

P8tZfee.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Welcome to the enlightenment.

And yeah I never played Rev2 but Rev1 was so disappointing, especially since its interaction with the website and reward unlocks was so much nicer compared to RE6. I honestly would have rather wished they give RE6 a raid mode like that than make Rev2.

P.S. It seems like the next thing on this level will be Devil's Third for Wii U.

Top Bottom