• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Mr_Zombie

What really?

Yes. I've noticed it by accident. It's really helpful to "waste" a pill in a heat of a battle when you're out of stamina, because sometimes melees are better than traditional weapons when it comes to crowd control.

Also, I've managed to kill 300/300 enemies on Rooftop Mission yesterday in No Mercy mode. That map is fucking crazy D: I've had 2 Ubistvos, 3 Whoopers, a bunch of Bloodshots and a whole gang of machine gun wielding B.S.A.A. zombies on my ass.

Koroviev

Looking to get a Resident Evil game on the PC while there is a sale. GAF bro informed me that RE6 has some pretty great multiplayer modes a while back. So, RE6 for multi? Revelations? Both?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Looking to get a Resident Evil game on the PC while there is a sale. GAF bro informed me that RE6 has some pretty great multiplayer modes a while back. So, RE6 for multi? Revelations? Both?

Get RE6 and we can suplex zombies together, eye em oh.

Prezhulio

so i picked this up off GMG when it was $8, and i've got to say i'm really enjoying it. i do think i would have been disappointed picking it up day 1 (just as i was with re5, despite enjoying it), but it's a steal at $8 and has rectified SOME of the misgivings from re5. thank god for that re6 thread on the gaming side that teaches the basic mechanics the game doesn't. i just realized how to use first aid spray and i'm 6 hours in *facepalm*

i've been playing through on leon's campaign, just started chapter 5. am i going to regret playing through his campaign first, only to have to back track a bunch with the other campaigns? or is that not correct, and the only cross over is where the 4 player sequences occur? does the story just end with leon and then bam, replay the story with the other characters even though you know how it wraps up? that would seem like an awfully hamfisted way to do it, so i've been waiting for it to shuttle me into the other campaigns at the end of a chapter, but nothing yet.

i guess i don't quite care, but i'd rather not be "doing it wrong" because of lack of explanation like everything else in the game.

also, what section of the leon's campaign was supposed to elicit the survivor horror feel? i remember that being mentioned when it came out, but really didn't get that out of it at all.

Mr_Zombie

i've been playing through on leon's campaign, just started chapter 5. am i going to regret playing through his campaign first, only to have to back track a bunch with the other campaigns? or is that not correct, and the only cross over is where the 4 player sequences occur? does the story just end with leon and then bam, replay the story with the other characters even though you know how it wraps up? that would seem like an awfully hamfisted way to do it, so i've been waiting for it to shuttle me into the other campaigns at the end of a chapter, but nothing yet.

Each story is different and only shares few events with other campaigns. For example, even though
Simmons
(dunno if this really need a spoiler mark, but whatever) is the main villain in Leon's campaign you won't see him (or even hear about him) at all in Chris' campaign since Chris' story isn't connected with what happened in Tall Oaks. Instead, there's a different villains there and different set of enemies (IIRC you don't see any J'avos in Leon's campaign, and you won't see any zombies in Chris' campaign). In Sherry's campaign the only moment you will ever see
Simmons
is in that single cut-scene already featured in Leon's campaign.

Ada's campaign, on the other hand, connects all main campaigns giving you all the answers and shedding some light on what was happening behind the stage all this time.

also, what section of the leon's campaign was supposed to elicit the survivor horror feel? i remember that being mentioned when it came out, but really didn't get that out of it at all.
The first chapter and the beginning of the second chapter. Of course it was different than in previous RE, much more action oriented and much more chaotic, but it was the closest to the "Raccoon City incident" feel that we will probably get in modern RE titles.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The first chapter and the beginning of the second chapter. Of course it was different than in previous RE, much more action oriented and much more chaotic, but it was the closest to the "Raccoon City incident" feel that we will probably get in modern RE titles.

Which is a shame because those two chapters, and Lost in Nightmares, is exactly what I want from Modern Biohazard. If Capcom continues down the action road #icant.

cantona222

I thought that buying a new RE6 for $16 is a great deal. I was wrong. Capcom should pay us to play this shitty game. I played, enjoyed, & beat RE1 to RE5. Despite all the negative press surrounding RE6, I wanted to give it a try. I am on chapter 4 on Chris' campaign & I think I had enough.
Why did they name the game Resident Evil 6 and ruined the franchise?, Why didn't the name it RE: Operation Hong Kong City, or RE: Code Antarctica or whatever.

Ghazi

I thought that buying a new RE6 for $16 is a great deal. I was wrong. Capcom should pay us to play this shitty game. I played, enjoyed, & beat RE1 to RE5. Despite all the negative press surrounding RE6, I wanted to give it a try. I am on chapter 4 on Chris' campaign & I think I had enough.
Why did they name the game Resident Evil 6 and ruined the franchise?, Why didn't the name it RE: Operation Hong Kong City, or RE: Code Antarctica or whatever.

Leon's campaign is the closest to classic RE, I've heard (never played Classic RE either), and I enjoyed Leon's. So, give Leon's a shot?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

You have to play the game as an action shooter and not as a survival horror game. If you're looking for a classic RE game you'll be disappointed, but play it as a balls-to-the-wall action game (dodging, punching, shooting, melee, sliding all over the place) and you'll have fun with it.

cantona222

You have to play the game as an action shooter and not as a survival horror game. If you're looking for a classic RE game you'll be disappointed, but play it as a balls-to-the-wall action game (dodging, punching, shooting, melee, sliding all over the place) and you'll have fun with it.

I started the game with that mindset, but still the game is terrible.

Mohasus

Is that chronological order still valid? I mean, now you can choose Ada's campaign before finishing the others. Bought this during the steam sale and I'm really liking it. :)

edit: oh, there's a timeline in the cutscenes viewer. And I hate Helena's voice because it is the same as the female Boss from Saints Row III and IV and I expect her to be an asshole and she isn't. :(

I'm playing this at the moment. About three or four hours in. I am enjoying it, but man there are some major annoyances here too. I hate the inventory system so much; they nailed it with Resi 4 but keep needlessly meddling with it since then. Why can't I choose to eat a herb directly if my inventory is full? Or combine it with something else in my inventory? That doesn't affect the amount of free space I have, so it shouldn't be an issue. Also, I'm playing Leon's campaign and everything is so goddamn dark. He's got a light on his ear but hardly ever switches it on for some reason. Why have Leon and Helena just got a bus outside of the city in order to go to the cathedral? I'm not a city planner, but surely the cathedral would be inside the city? I'm also not entirely comfortable with the controls. They feel too sluggish, and some of the zombies leap and move very quickly. The cover system is next to useless, and I just that as a third person shooter it lacks refinement I've grown used to over the past generation.

BadWolf

I'm playing this at the moment. About three or four hours in. I am enjoying it, but man there are some major annoyances here too. I hate the inventory system so much; they nailed it with Resi 4 but keep needlessly meddling with it since then. Why can't I choose to eat a herb directly if my inventory is full? Or combine it with something else in my inventory? That doesn't affect the amount of free space I have, so it shouldn't be an issue. Also, I'm playing Leon's campaign and everything is so goddamn dark. He's got a light on his ear but hardly ever switches it on for some reason. Why have Leon and Helena just got a bus outside of the city in order to go to the cathedral? I'm not a city planner, but surely the cathedral would be inside the city? I'm also not entirely comfortable with the controls. They feel too sluggish, and some of the zombies leap and move very quickly. The cover system is next to useless, and I just that as a third person shooter it lacks refinement I've grown used to over the past generation.

Read up on the combat system because they do a terrible job of explaining it.

You have a lot of movement options so leaping zombies are a non issue. With your gun up hit a direction plus the X or A button and your character will leap in that direction. You can also stay and move/roll while you are on the ground and shoot. Also, if you get knocked down then you can fire your gun from the downed position immediately, no need to get up first.

The slide is very useful as well.

Read up on the combat system because they do a terrible job of explaining it.

You have a lot of movement options so leaping zombies are a non issue. With your gun up hit a direction plus the X or A button and your character will leap in that direction. You can also stay and move/roll while you are on the ground and shoot. Also, if you get knocked down then you can fire your gun from the downed position immediately, no need to get up first.

The slide is very useful as well.

Thanks BW; I'll give the game another whirl tonight with your suggestions in mind. Can you advise on the best place to read up on tips for the combat system?

BadWolf

Thanks BW; I'll give the game another whirl tonight with your suggestions in mind. Can you advise on the best place to read up on tips for the combat system?

No prob, this is a great place to start:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494812

Oh I personally maxed out the brightness in the options menu so that made things a bit better when it comes to darkness. Also don't forget to adjust the new camera options that were patched in so that you have a much better field of view when moving and shooting. And activate the auto QTE option so that you don't have to deal with as many.

Seyavesh

played no mercy co-op again today and god i love this game

jesus christ there's such a high skill cap and i am nowhere near it
i figured i was pretty decent cuz i can counter consistently and 300 combo consistently but NOPE

the dude i got partnered up with (azu-nyan?) was constantly getting 64 to 100+ second bonuses with sherry and i have no idea how

i gotta do my research because seriously WHAT

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You do know there are time bonus pickups in different locations on every level, right?

Mr_Zombie

the dude i got partnered up with (azu-nyan?) was constantly getting 64 to 100+ second bonuses with sherry and i have no idea how

i gotta do my research because seriously WHAT

Dunno how to get constantly high time bonuses, but there's a certain glitch that dragonlife taught me: throw a flash grenade to stun a bunch of enemies; throw a normal grenade among them and in the meantime perform a melee finisher on an enemy. If you get it right and you kill an enemy the exact moment the grenade explode (and kill the rest of stunned enemies), the time bonus will be multiplied by the number of all enemies that you've just killed.

Man, the camera changes can really fuck you up.

I "love" how the game doesn't stop the action when it changes the camera on its own to show you certain item, location or just play an in-game cut-scene. The other day I was playing Leon chapter 2. During the fight in front of the cathedral, as I was preparing myself to counter Bloodshot that was leaping at me, the game decided that it's time to play a cut-scene where the black dude breaks a window and says he will support you with his sniper rifle. When the camera returned to me, I was laying on the floor, dying. :(

Seyavesh

You do know there are time bonus pickups in different locations on every level, right?

please, i'm not that dumb

i did figure it out based on watching some score attack vids done recently

the trick is to throw a grenade and do a coup de grace before the grenade detonates- for some insane reason the grenade kills are also counted alongside the kills of the coup de grace.

this is what i'm talkin' about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV89R4GKNro

Dunno how to get constantly high time bonuses, but there's a certain glitch that dragonlife taught me: throw a flash grenade to stun a bunch of enemies; throw a normal grenade among them and in the meantime perform a melee finisher on an enemy. If you get it right and you kill an enemy the exact moment the grenade explode (and kill the rest of stunned enemies), the time bonus will be multiplied by the number of all enemies that you've just killed.

yeah that! getting it consistently high is just a matter of grouping together enemies but man getting the coup de grace in a large group of enemies is a task in itself

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Don't know if that's a glitch or an intended high-level skill. Capcom invented that kind of shit you know. Just because their visionaries have mostly left doesn't mean they didn't teach anything to those who stayed. There is a reason RE6 has the best 3rd person shooter mechanics of the generation.

I really want to like this game, but it's making it hard work. I'm on Leon's chapter 2, and I'm getting really fed up with not being able to see what I'm supposed to be shooting, and with getting chucked in areas with infinite enemies. The game's so badly signposted that I had to switch on waypoint markers, and it has at least become a lot more enjoyable since then. Got my head around the combat a lot better now, although I miss having any kind of shop system, besides between chapters (unless I'm missing something?).

EDIT - also, I fucking hate having to shake the stick every time an enemy grabs me. It's so irritating.

Played about 7 hours now; on Leon's third chapter. I am enjoying it a lot more now, mainly because I've got my head around the combat and I have to say that it really helps with my enjoyment that there are plenty of people still playing co-op, so I've always got a proper useful Helena to hand instead of having to rely on the AI.

Still wish I could see what's going on though, and the level design isn't up to much. It's also getting increasingly ridiculous with levels collapsing around them and giant mutant monsters chasing them.

On Leon's chapter 3 now, in downtown China. Some enjoyable stuff here, but it's just so absurdly ridiculous, and stuff like trying to fly the plane while it goes down via a QTE was such a bad section. I liked the part where Leon and Helena were trapped on the street with the Pig Meat Regenerators, and I quite enjoyed the battle against the Ustanak, although the signposting in that battle was pretty awful. The fight at the end of chapter 2 against the giant infected shark with the glowing tentacle-arm in its mouth was so, so silly.

But, as ridiculous as it all is, I'm still enjoying myself. The combat is really fun since I've learnt to slide and roll and so on, and I love the silly earnestness which comes off as cheesy.

One thing - what does sending an item to the case do? I've done this a few times from the Triangle inventory to create space, but what does it actually do? I can't find these items once I've sent them off.

strafer

On Leon's chapter 3 now, in downtown China. Some enjoyable stuff here, but it's just so absurdly ridiculous, and stuff like trying to fly the plane while it goes down via a QTE was such a bad section. I liked the part where Leon and Helena were trapped on the street with the Pig Meat Regenerators, and I quite enjoyed the battle against the Ustanak, although the signposting in that battle was pretty awful. The fight at the end of chapter 2 against the giant infected shark with the glowing tentacle-arm in its mouth was so, so silly.

But, as ridiculous as it all is, I'm still enjoying myself. The combat is really fun since I've learnt to slide and roll and so on, and I love the silly earnestness which comes off as cheesy.

One thing - what does sending an item to the case do? I've done this a few times from the Triangle inventory to create space, but what does it actually do? I can't find these items once I've sent them off.

That's my biggest problem with the game, there is too much QTE. Jesus christ.

Couldn't put down my controller once.

Riposte

Send to case? Huh? I've spent over a hundred hours in this game and I have no idea what you mean lol.

I may have got my wires crossed. I'll check later and see what the specific terminology is, although I have a feeling it might just be sending things from your main inventory on triangle to the quick-select menu on the d-pad.

Well, I've just finished Leon's campaign. I can't deny I had fun, but man, it just got so fucking stupid and OTT towards the end - even more so, I mean. I'm not sure if my favourite part was being on board the crashing plane, or fighting on top of the high speed train right before it crashed, or being on board the crashing helicopter, or fighting the giant dog monster boss, or fighting the giant T-Rex monster, or fighting the giant ant-mantis monster, or even the shark monster thing with glowing tentacles in its mouth. I swear, this game is so excessive and ridiculous that it would make a COD game directed by Michael Bay seem realistic by comparison.

Seyavesh

this game is so excessive and ridiculous that it would make a COD game directed by Michael Bay seem realistic by comparison.

this is what i love about the direction of re5 and 6

they decided 'well people liked the over the top shit so let's go nuts'
there's 'this is a generic future/military shooter ooh rah' and then there's 'my character just punched a zombie mutant raptor in the head'

i sincerely can't think of any other game that takes such batshit insane concepts and presents them 100% straight like 'yep time to punch this volcanic boulder out of the way' or 'welp i guess im gonna re-create the drill scene from total recall with a giant monster that has a gun arm'

I've now gone back to Jake's campaign, I'm on Chapter 2 and I remember why I left it shortly after buying it. Fucking snowy level is just horrible, with infinitely-respawning enemies, vision completely obscured by snow at times and a multitude of sniping enemies capable of shooting you from afar. I finally got past it though and I'm now sneaking around trying not to let the Ustanak catch us. So many weird design decisions in this game, and it really could have used a producer to come in and strip out or cut down on all the fucking sections that drag on too long (which is most of them).

BadWolf

I'm on my second play through and am pretty much loving the game even more since I know what to expect and how to handle it (so there is way less to no frustration).

It's also surprising with how much speed you can move through Leon's campaign, there is actually considerably few areas where you are forced into combat. Most of the time you can just run through areas and take out some enemies on the go. Its giving me quite the adrenaline rush actually lol.

It also sort of makes sense, if I were in their shoes I would be moving forward as fast as possible and keeping engagement to a minimum.

this is what i love about the direction of re5 and 6

they decided 'well people liked the over the top shit so let's go nuts'
there's 'this is a generic future/military shooter ooh rah' and then there's 'my character just punched a zombie mutant raptor in the head'

i sincerely can't think of any other game that takes such batshit insane concepts and presents them 100% straight like 'yep time to punch this volcanic boulder out of the way' or 'welp i guess im gonna re-create the drill scene from total recall with a giant monster that has a gun arm'

This, I often had a smile on my face because of how ridonculous it all got.

Instead of hating it for what it isn't (an old school RE) people should just enjoy it for what it is (a fantastic over the top TPS).

I've now gone back to Jake's campaign, I'm on Chapter 2 and I remember why I left it shortly after buying it. Fucking snowy level is just horrible, with infinitely-respawning enemies, vision completely obscured by snow at times and a multitude of sniping enemies capable of shooting you from afar. I finally got past it though and I'm now sneaking around trying not to let the Ustanak catch us. So many weird design decisions in this game, and it really could have used a producer to come in and strip out or cut down on all the fucking sections that drag on too long (which is most of them).

That sneaking section is easy once you realize that you can easily CQC those bat things silently if you approach from behind.

Their campaign definitely felt like the one with the most 'gimmicks' so its probably the only one I can't see myself replaying. Was still worth playing once though since I liked both Sherry and Jake.

The great part is though that not only is there campaign select and chapter select but you can also select sections within chapters to replay. So its easy to skip sections within chapters you didn't enjoy in the future. Wish Bayonetta had this.

Seyavesh

you should get like five billion bonus point for finishing a game of no mercy mercs with a 300 combo and last stand on

it's so hardddd

especially on zombie maps, jesus christ those enemies are really poorly made

Mr_Zombie

you should get like five billion bonus point for finishing a game of no mercy mercs with a 300 combo and last stand on

it's so hardddd

especially on zombie maps, jesus christ those enemies are really poorly made

But, but... zombies are fine :(

However, Mining the Depths on No Mercy can be pretty hardcore. Lots of zombies with dynamites and a couple of shriekers that can stun you easily - it's a pretty explosive mix. Add a couple of Strelats to the mix.

Seyavesh

But, but... zombies are fine :(

However, Mining the Depths on No Mercy can be pretty hardcore. Lots of zombies with dynamites and a couple of shriekers that can stun you easily - it's a pretty explosive mix. Add a couple of Strelats to the mix.

no mercy by itself is pretty easy, but last stand makes it so that you absolutely cannot make any mistakes whatsoever

it turns it from a nice and casual killin' fest with some tight spots to a super hardcore high-skill survival game. one mistake vs. any kind of non-trash enemy and you die instantly. like from full health to dying state in one hit 'instantly'. mining the depths isn't too bad because you can more or less keep dynamite zombies in check and strelats + screamer are insanely simple to kill with the high damage bonus you get from last stand alongside giving you some respite by killing other zombies when you hit 'em. the biggest threat are magnum zombies and dogs, which aren't too bad because of the layout of the stage and the dynamite chain explosions keeping them from amassing too much.

the issue with zombies is mostly related to the animation priority on them (especially bloodshot-generating ones) being really jacked up. there's a lot of times where they'll be dead and still be attacking or have another animation take priority over the stun animation and lock you out of meleeing them which is bad when you have to be 100% sure of the result in a situation where you can't afford to get hit or blocked movement-wise. normally this isn't a big deal when there's less of them (see regular mercs) or the damage you take is negligible (regular no mercy)

in addition to that they prioritize attacks over the stun animation when in their grounded state too and you are going to be bowling over zombies hard

like, you know how in RE4/5 head-exploding the enemies would sometimes be a nuisance because they would still continue with their attack animation? zombies have that problem with a far greater number of scenarios because rather than just headshotting death it'd any kind of damage or death that lets them do that

even worse, enabling this state of attack from them actually removes the ability to counter them -and- it's possible to trigger this kind of state from common aoe attacks (this specifically is why catacombs is the hardest, because the lantern flame spreading will cause this to happen often)

also magnum zombies exist and are god awful design (snipers without laser indicators oh boy) no matter what mode you're in

BadWolf

Man it seems I really love Leon's campaign, just finished it on Professional and had a blast.

Moving on to Chris in this difficulty now and intend to use the knife a lot.

How do you guys usually re-play campaigns? With or without carrying over your inventory?

Riposte

Man it seems I really love Leon's campaign, just finished it on Professional and had a blast.

Moving on to Chris in this difficulty now and intend to use the knife a lot.

How do you guys usually re-play campaigns? With or without carrying over your inventory?

After beating the game (and being selective about what weapons I pick up for each character), I just jump into random co-op games to replay stuff. I tend to only avoid Leon 1, because so many people were playing it and the beginning is such a drag.

BadWolf

After beating the game (and being selective about what weapons I pick up for each character), I just jump into random co-op games to replay stuff. I tend to only avoid Leon 1, because so many people were playing it and the beginning is such a drag.

Thanks, will probably do that as well.

I like how you can skip sections within chapters via chapter select so I just skip the first slow part of Leon 1 and enjoy the rest.

Top Bottom