• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How is fucking ignorance on my part? Because I recognize that it means nothing to 70% of the world?
ignorance would be what people are doing thinking it's a easter egg just for America, Wow unbelievable.
Oh boy. Have you ever noticed how the publisher care about europe? Espescially japanese companies?
They dont care.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I just don't get the people claiming RE7 is not a RE game. What's a RE game supposed to be like? There's already a huge difference between the original RE and something like RE4 or RE6. I for one hate the direction the series took with RE4 and I see this as a return to its survival horror roots. I love it.

This is nothing like any previous Resident Evil game. Going by the demo, the pacing/acting and game play style are completely different, enough so that it makes me wonder if the game started out as something else and they decided to slap the RE name onto it (kind of like Silent Hill 4: The Room).

I have mixed feelings on the demo but I'm looking forward to seeing how the final game turns out. Capcom is also still working on that Resident Evil 2 remake, so it's not like we're never getting another 'camp' RE game again.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This feels like DmC all over again. Except now there is a market for "DmC" aka these types of horror games
DmC was still Devil May Cry, you can play any number of Resident Evil titles from RE2 to RE4 or even RE Dead Aim or Dark Chronicles all with different gameplay elements, "point of view" and you can still tell it's Resident Evil.
This game completely lacks Resident Evil's DNA in any shape or form, it's like a completely different game.

This is nothing like any previous Resident Evil game. Going by the demo, the pacing/acting and game play style are completely different, enough so that it makes me wonder if the game started out as something else and they decided to slap the RE name onto it (kind of like Silent Hill 4: The Room).

I have mixed feelings on the demo but I'm looking forward to seeing how the final game turns out. Capcom is also still working on that Resident Evil 2 remake, so it's not like we're never getting another 'camp' RE game again.

A bit off topic but I'm really out of the loop regarding REmake 2. Has anything been confirmed about it regarding camera angles, likeness to REmake 1 and so on? I didn't think so but I didn't keep up.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
DmC was still Devil May Cry, you can play any number of Resident Evil titles from RE2 to RE4 or even RE Dead Aim or Dark Chronicles all with different gameplay elements, "point of view" and you can still tell it's Resident Evil.
This game completely lacks Resident Evil's DNA in any shape or form, it's like a completely different game.
Laughable.

BadWolf

A bit off topic but I'm really out of the loop regarding REmake 2. Has anything been confirmed about it regarding camera angles, likeness to REmake 1 and so on? I didn't think so but I didn't keep up.

Iirc we don't know anything about it other than that development started around August last year.

Wild Card

Basically, if they hadn't come out and said it was Resident Evil VII, would anyone hae been able to tell?

Venom Fox

Banned
People need to start realising that this demo isn't a part of Resident Evil 7. Devs have already confirmed that this demo is just to show that they are going back to horror instead of action.

They said it's to show off the atmosphere and general horror theme that the main game will have. Not to mention also show us the general mechanics.

First person view is a genius move IMO. 3rd person Resi games never really gave me that "oh shit this is scary" vibe like the demo does.

It has Zombies like the originals. It has Umbrella like the originals. It has a confined playable space like the originals. It has puzzles that require thinking like the originals. Weapon combat and item management like the originals.

The only thing this game won't have in common with the originals is the 3rd person view. I don't see the problem here. It is Resident Evil through a first person perspective.

Edit: It's literally a 15 minute demo designed to show off the horror style atmosphere. I don't see the complaint. This demo has more horror atmosphere in 15 minutes than any Resident Evil game has given me.

TGO

This man gets it, SH4 is a perfect example although that still had some Silent Hill in it.

Bergerac

Why can't the limited ammo and resource management of classic Resident Evil be done in first person? In what ways does the shift in perspective prevent that combat pacing? Being first person and having guns doesn't mean it suddenly turns into Doom

Man, they just won't pay attention to this. I've tried. Countless times.

Iirc we don't know anything about it other than that development started around August last year.

Damn, was hoping I had just missed some cool tidbits. REmake 1 is still the perfect Horror game for me, absolutely glorious in every aspect. Here's to hoping they still somewhat know what they're doing for REmake 2.

TabooV

Neo Member
I'm so glad that they decided to go first person, it's spookier and immersive for me. I really cant wait to see what final game will be like.

TGO

People need to start realising that this demo isn't a part of Resident Evil 7. Devs have already confirmed that this demo is just to show that they are going back to horror instead of action.

They said it's to show off the atmosphere and general horror theme that the main game will have. Not to mention also show us the general mechanics.

First person view is a genius move IMO. 3rd person Resi games never really gave me that "oh shit this is scary" vibe like the demo does.

It has Zombies like the originals. It has Umbrella like the originals. It has a confined playable space like the originals. It has puzzles that require thinking like the originals. Weapon combat and item management like the originals.

The only thing this game won't have in common with the originals is the 3rd person view. I don't see the problem here. It is Resident Evil through a first person perspective.
What Zombies?
And if you think the demo was scary how did you finish PT?
I think I was more tense walking the halls in RE1 then playing the demo.

I do think VR will make it a worthwhile experience thou.

Akronis

Boy there sure are a lot of people assuming a lot of things about a game that hasn't come out yet.

Weren't the reactions to RE4 incredibly similar? People saying it doesn't look like Resident Evil?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This man gets it, SH4 is a perfect example although that still had some Silent Hill in it.

They ended up adding in some Silent Hill references and made the main villain related to it after deciding to give it the SH name, IIRC.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What Zombies?

What I dont understand - Do you really consider 5 or 6 as tense, scary, thrilling?

JJD

This is not a fresh take on RE

it's simply not a RE game

you can't for instance turn DMC5 into an open world first person game with a Skyrim combat and say it's a fresh take on DMC

I hated RE6, but this demo makes RE6 look like a religiously fanatically faithful to the old school RE games in comparison

RE6 might have been a bad RE game, but at least it has RE DNA all over it

this demo is no different than the countless first person horror games that Pewdiepie and other youtubers play.

RE is whatever Capcom decides it to be. RE has been a survival horror game, an action horror game and even a light gun kinda game.

Some (crazy) people claimed that RE4 wasn't RE when it launched.

We had 3 games on the main series as survival horror and 3 games as action horror. I think it's time for something new.

People are saying that this looks like all the other indie horror FPS games out there after playing a demo that can be completed in less than 30 minutes.

I'll wait until I've played the final game before I make my judgment.

If there is one thing that most people will agree is that something needed to be done with RE. It was obvious that they couldn't continue making itinerations of the RE4 formula anymore.

The last time Capcom needed to reinvent RE we got a masterpiece. I don't know if we'll get one now, but I'm willing to give then a chance.

Lucentto

Banned
Boy there sure are a lot of people assuming a lot of things about a game that hasn't come out yet.

Weren't the reactions to RE4 incredibly similar? People saying it doesn't look like Resident Evil?

Yep. I remember pretty vividly the reactions to RE4.

"It's not Resident Evi!"
"It's not scary!"
"Too much action!"

History repeats itself. Watch the main game be completely amazing and people will still be whining that its not Resident Evil.

TGO

What I dont understand - Do you really consider 5 or 6 as tense, scary, thrilling?
Nah I'm one of the Classic RE fans, but RE5-6 was still Resident Evil just wasn't Scary and more action based., this is not Resident Evil.
This is gonna be SH4, I really doubt it'll sell as well as RE6.

JJD

In recent years, the discourse around games has become such a joke. This absurd dance of fan ownership and "hot takes" that really amount to spending a lot of time framing whatever's in front of you in a thoughtleasly negative way.

A REmake replay (my fifth or so, probably) was my most recent run through an RE game. Before that, RE6 for the second time.

RE7 has:

-A single, large location as the setting.
-Enemies appear in low numbers; horror is worked up from the appearance of one zombie, mainly.
-Puzzles. Tons of seemingly disconnected items, and you figure out their use through exploration.
-Limited perspective. Derives horror from what you can't see as much as what you can.
-Mysterious characters that appear in pictures and notes, for you to piece together what's happening yourself.

RE6 had none of the above. But RE1 has all of this. And arguably these are the key elements of that game above all, with one exception: combat. And combat is in the game, just not in the demo area.

For all of this return to form, the one unfamiliar aspect is literally all that some of you are able to process. It's first person. Which really, is a clever way to return to the limited camera angles from the original RE games without also bringing back the tank control setup.

There is no trace of hide and seek gameplay. The demo is all the elements of RE1 sans combat. The primary gameplay is collecting items and solving puzzles, which is the most prominent aspect of RE1. And, again, we know combat is there in the final game.

So these rants about this being some generic indie YouTube bait, and "not RE" ring hollow to me. Its set in the same universe. And has a style that calls back to the first game in the series. And quite quickly introduces you to a zombie attack.

Literally, make it a third person game and the PewDiePie talk dies off. But I'm sure many of you would find another aspect to harp on, now that RE6 is suddenly a "true RE game" I'm everybody's minds.

Man this is a great post.

Venom Fox

Banned
What Zombies?

A zombie stabs the man trying to get you out if the chair. Also I thought it was apparent that the man who goes missing down the hole was a zombie. He's just stood there and he has a zombie like face.

The Demo has amazing atmosphere. Even when you know what's coming because of the sense of not knowing what's going on. I enjoyed PT even though it was pretty scary in a different way.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
How is fucking ignorance on my part? Because I recognize that it means nothing to 70% of the world?

Just because it means nothing to 70% of the world doesn't mean it's nothing.

A joke in a Korean film referencing something unique to Korean culture alone that no one else around the world won't really get unless explained to them doesn't mean it can't be a joke.

Akronis

Yep. I remember pretty vividly the reactions to RE4.

"It's not Resident Evi!"
"It's not scary!"
"Too much action!"

History repeats itself. Watch the main game be completely amazing and people will still be whining that its not Resident Evil.

It'll be so satisfying to see Capcom hit it out of the park with RE7 then. Resident Evil needs to evolve. Staying a horror-lite TPS gets old fast.

Some (crazy) people claimed that RE4 wasn't RE when it launched.

Well, it was hardly RE. The original beta (RE3.5) basically looked like the natural evolution for the series, before they bailed out of that because the Nintendo exclusive iterations had poor sales.

Spoo

Nah I'm one of the Classic RE fans, but RE5-6 was still Resident Evil just wasn't Scary and more action based., this is not Resident Evil.

I actually agree with you. This demo is not RE. It's not really anything more than a tech demo clearly tapping into the PT crowd.

But, mechanically, everything that is needed for the full game to be RE is very clearly here. Good graphics, inventory management, weapons, creepy atmosphere, progression-centric puzzle design... it has what it needs. It's just not used here (to major effect)

Mark my words, what we'll end up getting will basically be similar to RE1 in first person. If the FP stuff isn't your bag, I feel you. But if it's like that, it'll be more RE than like Outlast or Amnesia (both of which are built on stealth mechanics, something this tech demo doesn't appear to have or use).

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

lol RE5 and 6, especially 6, are to you still Resident Evil games, but this is not?

Your opinion sucks.

Fact.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, whats Resident Evil, when you consider 5 and 6 as true Resident Evil games? They only need to put in some characters and names and them its Resident Evil? There were no scares, no riddles, just stupid shit.
You even said things like Dead Aim is more Resident Evil. How that? Because the usuall monster appear?

Shauni

The elitism bullshit of supposed 'old school' fans are really reaching some nasty levels in here. I thought we were beyond this garbage in RE threads, but I guess some people are bound and determined to keep that shit alive.

TGO

I actually agree with you. This demo is not RE. It's not really anything more than a tech demo clearly tapping into the PT crowd.

But, mechanically, everything that is needed for the full game to be RE is very clearly here. Good graphics, inventory management, weapons, creepy atmosphere, progression-centric puzzle design... it has what it needs. It's just not used here (to major effect)

Mark my words, what we'll end up getting will basically be similar to RE1 in first person. If the FP stuff isn't your bag, I feel you. But if it's like that, it'll be more RE than like Outlast or Amnesia (both of which are built on stealth mechanics, something this tech demo doesn't appear to have or use).
I have have a load of FPhorror stuff, I don't mind them but this don't feel like RE1 in FP like people are trying to make out, if it was I wouldn't mind this being the new direction, but I don't need another FPhorror like this especially if it kills a franchise like Resident Evil, why people don't understand this from fans I don't know. The game has no RE DNA.
Like you said, it has the goods but it's made that way.

Guys quoting me about RE6, seriously? You'll know what I mean those games are still RE games regardless of there direction, I personally like the original trilogy, mainly 1-2 but I can easily except 4-5-6 as being in the same universe, but this doesn't.
Its not hard to understand.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
This

Fans before : this game sucks change it

Fans after : why did you change it ... Fuck you !!!

That's because many of them wanted change in a particular way they deemed fit. Now that it's a change that they didn't envision, it's ass.

I love it.

I have have a load of FPhorror stuff, I don't mind them but this don't feel like RE1 in FP like people are trying to make out, if it was I wouldn't mind this being the new direction, but I don't need another FPhorror like this especially if it kills a franchise like Resident Evil, why people don't understand this from fans I don't know. The game has no RE DNA.

You are overreacting way too much for your own good. You do not know anything of how the final game will shape up to be besides the fact that it will be in first-person-view. Wait until you see what the actual game will be, not a demo to demonstrate the type of atmosphere the developers are aiming for.

Get a grip.

TGO

That's because many of them wanted change in a particular way they deemed fit. Now that it's a change that they didn't envision, it's ass.

I love it.

You are overreacting way too much for your own good. You do not know anything of how the final game will shape up to be besides the fact that it will be in first-person-view. Wait until you see what the actual game will be, not a demo to demonstrate the type of atmosphere the developers are aiming for.

Get a grip.
I got grip, and I've said I'm waiting for the real game because the trailer looks good, people just don't like people saying the demo isn't anything like RE.

Akronis

Guys quoting me about RE6, seriously? You'll know what I mean those games are still RE games regardless of there direction, I personally like the original trilogy, mainly 1-2 but I can easily except 4-5-6 as being in the same universe, but this doesn't.
Its not hard to understand.

You haven't played the fucking game yet. What the fuck are you on about? You played a SMALL tech demo that may not even exist in the full game.

Jesus Christ.

EDIT: I'm stealing this because it's literally perfect

image.php

TGO

You haven't played the fucking game yet. What the fuck are you on about? You played a SMALL tech demo that may not even exist in the full game.

Jesus Christ.

EDIT: I'm stealing this because it's literally perfect

image.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BftAwcuT1sg
Yeah mixed views on that, but I already said this before, I referring to the demo
I hope TGO dont forget to explain how Resi 5 was a true Resident Evil
Whats Resident Evil about? Despite it action pack nature it's still Resident Evil, way is hard understand?

Top Bottom