• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

myco666

The Grenade Launcher doesn't seem to be a great weapon even with infinity ammo. I think the Albert-01 with enhanced ammo kill things faster. I guess it would be good for crowd control, but a good old shotgun does that job really well too.

That weapon is really crap. Like you would assume it kills in one direct hit and would kill couple of enemies next to it since it has only one grenade loaded but no. I get much better results from double barrel shotgun.

Without spoiling me...
ZOE OR MIA??!? I can't decide!
Mia chainsawed my arm off, which is enough for me to say no, but she clearly didn't know what was going on. But Zoe has been willing to help, but she's been here for a while longer I imagine, and I am afraid of the serum just being "wasted" on her. Without spoiling me, who did you pick and why?

I chose
Zoe because I couldn't care less about the relationship with Mia. That route also turned out to be better choice.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The best line delivery has to be
'Eat it, it's goood'.

I'm also a big fan of
ZOE GETYOASS TO THE HOUSE I WILL DEAL WITH YOU LATER

Game is so good, so many memorable moments

TMC

'Eat it, it's goood'.

I'm also a big fan of

Really loved hearing that second line again every time I died.

Spayro

I'm 5 hours in and I've just reached
the first non-vhs part where you play as Mia, I guess
, and shut the game off. How much longer do I have? am I rushing it?

I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a very long time. I'm in love.

TMC

Can you tell me a little bit more about your current surroundings?

'Eat it, it's goood'.

I'm also a big fan of

Mine is
"Don't just stand there, DO SOMETHING!"

There are a lot of great lines in that game and in the DLC though. Love most of the characters you come across.

I say between hour and a half to two hours depending on how quick you are, 45 minutes if you someone figure out everything extremely quickly.

TMC

I say between hour and a half to two hours depending on how quick you are, 45 minutes if you someone figure out everything extremely quickly.

I was thinking he might be at the ship part where you regain control and are playing as Mia, but that is REALLY fast for 5 hours on a first run. I can't think of any other scenario where you play as Mia in a non-VHS scenario though.

Spayro

I was thinking he might be at the ship part where you regain control and are playing as Mia, but that is REALLY fast for 5 hours on a first run. I can't think of any other scenario where you play as Mia in a non-VHS scenario though.

Yup, that's the one. Also, damn.

Spayro

Yeah, you are HAULING haha. It took me nearly 14 hours on my first run, but I was really thorough. I also played in VR which is terrifying and made me walk very slowly through new areas.
Holy hell, I don't think I would have made it through in VR. I had to take breaks to catch my breath, shit is INTENSE.

TMC

Holy hell, I don't think I would have made it through in VR. I had to take breaks to catch my breath, shit is INTENSE.

It's a terrifying experience. I'm actually on a second run now for collectibles (non-VR of course) and it's still slightly scary, but not even close to matching the VR experience. I loved every minute of it.

emb

I absolutely could not do it. Played the first 2 or 3 hours in VR, then just gave up because I wanted to finish the game soonish. In VR I was constantly pausing with the home button, exploring slowly, and feeling a little panicky at easy sound or sight.

Now that I more or less know the game though, I feel like I should go back through in VR mode. But I probably won't.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I've been playing the bedroom DLC and something incredibly bullshitty just happened and it kinda pissed me off.

So I solved the shadow puzzle and grabbed the key. Immediately after grabbing the key I headed straight back in to the other room to use it. Marguerite is suddenly there. Instant death. Now I have to go through all the puzzles again. Up until this point this mode had taught me that Marguerite would warn me when Marguerite would appear. Now all of a sudden the game changes the rules. Felt very unfair. Granted now that I know the puzzle solutions getting back to that point shouldn't take long, but even so. Ugh.

'Eat it, it's goood'.

I'm also a big fan of

My favorite line has to be
"Ok. Fine."

Alright, wife. I got a gun, lets fucking go!!

myco666

So I've been playing the bedroom DLC and something incredibly bullshitty just happened and it kinda pissed me off.

So I solved the shadow puzzle and grabbed the key. Immediately after grabbing the key I headed straight back in to the other room to use it. Marguerite is suddenly there. Instant death. Now I have to go through all the puzzles again. Up until this point this mode had taught me that Marguerite would warn me when Marguerite would appear. Now all of a sudden the game changes the rules. Felt very unfair. Granted now that I know the puzzle solutions getting back to that point shouldn't take long, but even so. Ugh.

Doesn't she come in instantly when you get the key so that there is time to react? I remember it being rather fair. Obviously it sucks that this kind of thing can even happen and Clancy should go "I can't open this now" or something. The solution to the ending isn't intuitive either.

Anyone else having trouble accessing the DLC on the Windows Store? I can search for the Banned Footage DLC, but when I click on the page it says "Something happened on our end". I do own the season pass and was able to install the DLC on my Xbox.

ethan must die is fucking stupid. Its like 90% all luck. One run I can get shotguns, burner, etc... the next run I get nonstop health items and a knife

AlanOC91

Just cleared the game. What an experience! Absolutely loved it!! Almost a 10/10 for me.

The last 30% of the game went real "Resident Evil" and I loved it.

Fantastic experience overall.

LOL Chris?

And

Yo what happened Lucas?

Alright, I've been fumbling for an hour and I'm ready to just ask for help.

[Daughters spoilers]
Could someone give me a hint as to where to find Lucas's laptop passcode? I'm going bonkers here.

At first the game felt more like Outlast or Amnesia but I gotta admit, after a couple of hours, it really feels like a modern REmake with proper RE elements.

I don't think I'm very far in the game yet. I just found
the door that I need the lantern for and saw the new Marguerite grab it and crawl into a hole. Can't wait to see her BOW form
. I hope the game manages to maintain this level of quality,

My only real complain thus far is that Ethan feels more like an avatar for the player, rather than an actual character. His responses to the stuff that happens to him are pretty RE standard and things that you expect the player say/think while playing the game, rather than a reaction from an ordinary guy who is going through these horrors.

So far it's alright. Old school Resident Evil is back baby!

I'm not a fan of the first person mechanics and how they work in comparison to old school Resi. For one, the shooting has become a bit too easy, with the ubiquitous trigger combo for aiming and shooting leading to much less precision and emphasis on making each shot count like in REmake. The weird shift that comes from the gameplay turning into a scene where you lose control gives away any potential jump scare or dramatic moment each time, which is a bummer. And of course, the way Mikami got to direct the camera angle to his will in REmake led to tension and making the player move at his will. This obviously doesn't have that, and it makes the house here feel a lot less cinematic, for a lack of a better word, than REmake's mansion.

I do like the sheer intimacy that first person affords. You really got to get in close to interact with things and it makes scouting around the house much more engaging. The tone is weird, and not in the typical Resident Evil weird. It's serious, not to a tee, but the over-the-top gore followed by absolute bores of a reaction by the protagonist makes it harder to suspend disbelief, especially when he's the victim of it. It's like Quantum Mistake a bit, in that hospital scene, where the suspension of disbelief is taken a little too far even for this medium.

150 burner, 1 full turret, 2 MAG shots, 1 flame round, 2 shotgun shells

Not enough to kill
Margueritte
on Ethan must die

So if you utilize everything the game gives you, you still cant win. Thats cool. I used like 4 bullets going through the entire thing because u have to

Edit: And now I got to the very end, pretty sure about to beat it...and my xbox hard crashes. Wonderful. Guess thats a sign to call it a night. After about 7 hours put into this mode, this is complete bullshit

myco666

150 burner, 1 full turret, 2 MAG shots, 1 flame round, 2 shotgun shells

Not enough to kill
Margueritte
on Ethan must die

So if you utilize everything the game gives you, you still cant win. Thats cool. I used like 4 bullets going through the entire thing because u have to

Edit: And now I got to the very end, pretty sure about to beat it...and my xbox hard crashes. Wonderful. Guess thats a sign to call it a night. After about 7 hours put into this mode, this is complete bullshit

The arena has ton of traps you can lure her into and there are more resources too.

Unai

Well, I had way more fun in that 21 game that I was expecting.

At first the game felt more like Outlast or Amnesia but I gotta admit, after a couple of hours, it really feels like a modern REmake with proper RE elements.

I don't think I'm very far in the game yet. I just found
the door that I need the lantern for and saw the new Marguerite grab it and crawl into a hole. Can't wait to see her BOW form
. I hope the game manages to maintain this level of quality,

My only real complain thus far is that Ethan feels more like an avatar for the player, rather than an actual character. His responses to the stuff that happens to him are pretty RE standard and things that you expect the player say/think while playing the game, rather than a reaction from an ordinary guy who is going through these horrors.

There's speculation that he
is not really an ordinary guy

The arena has ton of traps you can lure her into and there are more resources too.

doesnt seem to matter. Just walked her through 2 traps, and the turrets shot her so much they ran out of ammo. This was after unloading 3 MAG shots, several shotgun shells, pistol ammo, and 150 burner into her. Wasnt enough still, then she just leaped on me from like a mile away and killed me. Literally nothing else I could do

Edit: holy shit I finally did it. This mode is seriously almost all luck. I was lucky enough to get 300 burner fuel, a MAG, and enhanced handgun ammo. I stood in a corner and used the burner to keep her away until she stumbled, then unloaded everything else on her. There are run throughs where you just cant win, the game doesnt let you based on the things it gives you. How are you supposed to do this with a knife, pistol, and a bunch of healing items and chem fluid? I could see maybe if you got the defense items, but even then anytime i saw them the game only gave me one of them

oatmeal

Banned
Beat it last night. Played on Easy in VR for entirety...started a normal run non-VR and it controls WAYYYYYY better in VR surprisingly.

myco666

doesnt seem to matter. Just walked her through 2 traps, and the turrets shot her so much they ran out of ammo. This was after unloading 3 MAG shots, several shotgun shells, pistol ammo, and 150 burner into her. Wasnt enough still, then she just leaped on me from like a mile away and killed me. Literally nothing else I could do

Edit: holy shit I finally did it. This mode is seriously almost all luck. I was lucky enough to get 300 burner fuel, a MAG, and enhanced handgun ammo. I stood in a corner and used the burner to keep her away until she stumbled, then unloaded everything else on her. There are run throughs where you just cant win, the game doesnt let you based on the things it gives you. How are you supposed to do this with a knife, pistol, and a bunch of healing items and chem fluid? I could see maybe if you got the defense items, but even then anytime i saw them the game only gave me one of them

There is more than two traps though.

RNG definitely is a factor but I do think the game gives you always enough resources to deal with Marg as long as you use your resources smartly. In all of my runs I got 4 different weapons and maybe better handgun or shotgun too.

So Jack best new character ?

Yes. Lucas is great too.

Damn! Have I screwed myself out of an Antique Coin if I missed my opportunity in the Guest House?
Will I get another chance when I revisit it at the end? I already unlocked the drawer with Clancy, I just forgot to pick it up.

cheez124

so i started a sub 4 hour speedrun on easy to get the special unlocks. i'm currently at 1 hour and 18 minutes, and i just beat
spider-marguerite
. i should be fine, right?

cheez124

Yep if you keep going at this pace you should be fine.
sweet, thanks.
circular saw
here i come

still debating whether or not i should use unlockables for my eventual madhouse playthrough. i definitely want to use the
defense scrolls
at least, since dying in a couple of hits doesn't sound fun at all

Realeza

Banned
Just finished this. Absolutely awesome. Gosh, playing this reminded me of how I felt when playing RE4 for the first time.

Amazing experience, and can't even imagine how awesome it must be on VR.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm slowly progressing in Ethan Must die. I get a little further then have another bullshit I Wanna Be The Guy style death awaiting me. And repeat. This mode is all about trial and error until you get the right path you're supposed to take through it.

Roubjon

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how far through the game I am. I'm at the part
where I'm in a barn place after watching that TV with a video on where the Baker Boy talks to you and then the TV explodes.

The Resident evil page on Facebook posted a huge spoiler so look out.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how far through the game I am. I'm at the part
where I'm in a barn place after watching that TV with a video on where the Baker Boy talks to you and then the TV explodes.

60% about.

Finally got around to the Platinum with the That's a Spicy Meat-A-Ball trophy. Doubt I'll be revisiting the main game for a long time in comparison to past entries.

Also played a bit of all the DLC. Some thoughts:

Nightmare: I haven't completed this yet as I just started. Two runs, wave 2 and wave 4. It's an ok challenge mode, though I don't care for the grind that much. Wave 4 is a bit ridiculous given the controls on consoles aren't well suited for dealing with so much going on athe once.

Bedroom: The best of the Banned Footage content. Only shame is that the replay value isn't there with only one path.

Ethan Must Die: Still haven't beaten it due to poor RNG and
Marguerite
soaking up so much damage. Otherwise, I like the learning curve involved.

21: A nice distractive mode. It does drag terribly on Survival+. One less difficulty modifier would have sufficed to make it top tier (if cards are your thing).

Daughters: Probably the most disappointing. The events are contrary in ways to the vague details given in the game, and is ultimately lacking in substance. The "true" ending seems more problematic than the other as well.

Jack's 55th Birthday: Really fun, but the whole thing revolving around inventory management kills the flow and again seems a bit reliant on grinding unlocks like some of the other modes. Also reminds me that the game didn't offer bonus clown costumes for the Bakers.

The Resident evil page on Facebook posted a huge spoiler so look out.

No, it did not.
It talks only of the DLC, even taking the extra step to say it as a seperate story. You and others making it out to be a spoiler are the ones actually tying it to the main game.

Beat the game today, started playing around 9am was at the
beginning of the old house
and basically didn't stop till I beat it. Overall RE7 was very much a classic Resident Evil game and a very strong contender for top 10 games of 2017. I agree with the sentiment I've seen that the game has a very clear line of where it lowers in quality
the final video where we learn who Mia really was and the game disolves into action schlock
. Despite this drop in quality for the final third of the game its still a worthwhile experience that I recommend to anyone who enjoys a good survival horror game.

scoobs

Stuck with the game after being initially turned off by the goo monsters and lack of ammo/weaponry to deal with all of them. Sure glad I did, what a blast that game was!

The ship section was definitely the weakest part, but overall a great game for fans of the horror & adventure genres.

Top Bottom