• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

TB14

Finished it a little over a week ago. Definitely a brilliant return to form for the franchise with just the right amount of modernization. Solid story, tense atmosphere, and engaging gameplay. I agree that it did start to go downhill a bit at the end, but I still think it was a great game overall.

mujun

Including when having
his arm cut off and then reaffixed. Amazing how the family managed to get all the tendons and other bits reattached too so as to enable him to even use it again!

He does make comments about the healing solution being incredibly effective at points.

Is it explained in more detail at any point?

acm2000

Think I'm near the end now, quite enjoying it but I still don't like the monsters, just a bit dull, would've been great if they were bar shit and fast.

Definitely the first RE that's been good since CV.

Actually those are the only 2 RE games I've ever liked.

He does make comments about the healing solution being incredibly effective at points.

Is it explained in more detail at any point?

I don't believe so but a common theory is:
Ethan was infected soon after being knocked out AKA "Welcome to the family son." Also in the Japanese version the stumps of Ethans dismembered limbs are black, like the fungus (this might be because of censoring but also very plausible to the story.

But we don't hear or read that specifically anywhere in the actual story so -shrug- we'll see I guess.

Seriously thinking about buying this after I trade in yakuzo 0 (should beat it tonight)

Now that the hype has died down, would you all recommend it?

It is 10 hours long right?

Opa-Pa

Ethan is actually the only RE protagonist I've genuinely enjoyed since RE4 Leon (and he's kinda cheating since he's like a Saturday morning cartoon protag). I dunno, the way he reacts like someone who's completely done with the crazy shit happening around him all the time made it feel pretty real... Sans not minding getting his hand fixed up out of nowhere and stuff like that, of course.

Actually, the writing in general felt like a better version of old school RE writing, I dig it a lot and want more of it.

Seriously thinking about buying this after I trade in yakuzo 0 (should beat it tonight)

Now that the hype has died down, would you all recommend it?

It is 10 hours long right?

Game's great, and yeah, took me 13 hours playing blind and taking my time.

pbayne

Reached the
boat
segment last night. Seems like a big change of pace and some of the revelations are really far from were i expected the game was going.

Lol i wasn't expecting Lucas
to turn into such an archtypical resi boss either. Wouldn't have looked out of place in any of the previous games.

Reached the
boat
segment last night. Seems like a big change of pace and some of the revelations are really far from were i expected the game was going.

Lol i wasn't expecting Lucas
to turn into such an archtypical resi boss either. Wouldn't have looked out of place in any of the previous games.

It's Jack, not Lucas

pbayne

It's Jack, not Lucas

Lol im terrible for mixing names up.

Me and my mate took a stab at guessing how the game was gonna end.
We both greatly, greatly expected Zoe to turn on Ethan when they finally meet but nope. And we both reckon the granny will turn out to be the mastermind/final boss in some crazy twist but the boat stuff has honestly thrown me for a loop. And i didn't expect to have to choose between Zoe or Mia so i guess the game has multiple endings too.

mujun

Ethan was infected soon after being knocked out AKA "Welcome to the family son." Also in the Japanese version the stumps of Ethans dismembered limbs are black, like the fungus (this might be because of censoring but also very plausible to the story.

But we don't hear or read that specifically anywhere in the actual story so -shrug- we'll see I guess.

Thanks!

I mean
they say seeing hallucinations of Eve are a sign you're infected at the end of the game in one of the notes right?Then you return to the house and are seeing shit the entire time till the boss

Loved it. Great experience in vr. The location and the family really made it.

Dimefan3

I'm starting to have a theory that
Ethan is involved with Umbrella somehow, either as a test subject or an ex employee.

Also, I'm trying to find an actual CD copy of the soundtrack, rather than the mp3 version - anyone know where I could get my hands on one?

A vinyl release would be good.

Celeras

Banned
Does Staggering your shots do more damage?

It feels like if I shoot to quickly after a headshot that it does no damage and just wastes ammo.

Demoskinos

Beat the game about 90 minutes or so ago. Good stuff. The ending kind of crept up on me... I had a entire crate filled to the brim with bullets health and other things and ended up getting through the last encounter with my trusty pistol because well... I wasn't equipped with anything else. Lmao.

Anyways, could I get some clarification on a few things?

The Wooden Hatchet and Wooden Gun are used for what? The game wouldn't let me discard them so I figure they are important but at the same time i was never railroaded into any critical mission objective that required them.

Uhhhhh so that chris and umbrella thing yeah? I'm guessing the answer for now is "wait until the DLC but like do we have any indication as to what the hell is going on there or better yet if this is on this is still on the same timeline or universe?

0racle

Guys, I need some input.

EB games has an insane trade in deal for this game and I think I am nearly finished.

How far am I? no spoilers please

I just beat the spider lady boss, then I went back inside the dissection room and had a quick interaction with lucas. I think I have one key card , red.

tootie923

Beat the game about 90 minutes or so ago. Good stuff. The ending kind of crept up on me... I had a entire crate filled to the brim with bullets health and other things and ended up getting through the last encounter with my trusty pistol because well... I wasn't equipped with anything else. Lmao.

Anyways, could I get some clarification on a few things?

The Wooden Hatchet and Wooden Gun are used for what? The game wouldn't let me discard them so I figure they are important but at the same time i was never railroaded into any critical mission objective that required them.

Uhhhhh so that chris and umbrella thing yeah? I'm guessing the answer for now is "wait until the DLC but like do we have any indication as to what the hell is going on there or better yet if this is on this is still on the same timeline or universe?

http://www.gosunoob.com/resident-evil-7/re7-use-toy-axe/

The wooden gun is for getting the shotgun out of the statue room in the entrance area of the main house.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So....

Jack vs. Nemesis

Depends on what truly killed Nemesis. Because he died either from

1) The magnum
2) The nuke.

Fact is, Jack Baker is
essentially immortal. He only died when he was injected by the necrotoxin. Otherwise, even blasting him in half wasn't enough to kill him. It's obvious that even death in his massive form, wouldn't have killed him. He'd have morphed again into an even bigger and fucked up form. Nemesis doesn't have the necrotoxin. So if the magnum killed Nemesis, than Jack takes it. He can just outmutate Nemesis. If the nuke killed Nemmy....then it's a stalemate. They cannot kill each other, literally.

PRBoricua

Just finished it up tonight after deciding to wait until I got my 1080 to continue playing (got through about one-third of the game before I couldn't handle the stuttering my 970 was giving me). Graphics are gorgeous when running at full capacity. Was gripped the entire time and had to stop and take my headphones off more than once because the creep factor was super high, which I loved.

I agree with everyone who has said that Ethan was a little too calm during this ordeal because I was freaking out and I was only playing the game.
Having your hand chopped off by your possessed girlfriend isn't something I think I'd handle very well, yet he doesn't seem too bothered when he drives an ax into her neck.
I hated having to journey into the
basement area
for any reason whatsoever and would literally sprint like a madman until I made it out of there.

The game does take a pretty drastic turn once you make it to the
boat section
but by that point, it didn't matter, the first half was so damned good I could look past the shortcomings during the latter half of the game.

I have the PSVR and I look forward to completing it again in VR mode soon. If there's anyone out there who's still on the fence about this game, don't hesitate, it's really good.

Is there a spoiler free thread?

Just started and just pulled off my headset in fright. Fuck me

Was just after the bit where I got my hand chopped off and got to the dinner table and then the old guy was chasing me in the house

Screamed and pulled off the headset

Holy fucking shit this game in VR

Tried it again. Same area - Tense as fuck. Had to quit the game.

wow.

Demoskinos

Is there a spoiler free thread?

Just started and just pulled off my headset in fright. Fuck me

Was just after the bit where I got my hand chopped off and got to the dinner table and then the old guy was chasing me in the house

Screamed and pulled off the headset

Holy fucking shit this game in VR

Tried it again. Same area - Tense as fuck. Had to quit the game.

wow.

Fuck I really wanna try this in VR

pbayne

Just finished. I liked the ending even if the last section did leave a lot to be desired.
Marked out big time for Chris.

Overall i thought it was good not great. Not as scary as i thought it would be would be my main gripe. Oh and Ethan sounding like he's going golfing for most of the game lol.

Just beat this and wow I fucking loved it. This game was just so enjoyable to me. I was actually dreading beating it because I enjoyed it so much and didn't want it to end, which makes me even madder at the short length.

I can't even remember the last time I was this invested in a game's characters. it was just so good. Perfect balance of gameplay, story and that 60fps. Just had a blast with this.

Debating getting the dlc. On one hand I fucking love this game and want more, but on the other hand that season pass is ridiculous overpriced and I don't like supporting shit like that. Decisions, decisions...

Ethan is actually the only RE protagonist I've genuinely enjoyed since RE4 Leon (and he's kinda cheating since he's like a Saturday morning cartoon protag). I dunno, the way he reacts like someone who's completely done with the crazy shit happening around him all the time made it feel pretty real... Sans not minding getting his hand fixed up out of nowhere and stuff like that, of course.
I can see not minding him, but actually liking him? And over other RE protagonists? I just don't comprehend; he's wet cardboard peppered with the tiniest of traces of a personality to make it look like we're not just playing an insert character.

He's not trash, but he's definitely bottom-of-the-barrel. Mia's not much better, but that's just in RE7. I would be curios to see how they grow if they're used again, especially (ending stuff)
if we find out Ethan was an Umbrella employee or something. I actually think that's really interesting and would love to see more. I'd love to see more of their past/future together, that's for sure

Mia's super bland, too. (ending stuff)
her being an agent made it even more tragic just how zzz she was before, because between her being controlled and coming across as useless when she's herself, she seems like just another damsel. Then you find out she knows her way around weapons and stuff, and you can't help but think she'd at least try to get free from the boat house where she was being held with Zoe. But nah, you just get there and she looks defeated. Evie strain, I suppose.

Anyway, the groundwork for the two's been set, and even though I wasn't a fan of the way they were presented, I look forward to the payoff.

Opa-Pa

I can see not minding him, but actually liking him? And over other RE protagonists? I just don't comprehend; he's wet cardboard peppered with the tiniest of traces of a personality to make it look like we're not just playing an insert character.

He's not trash, but he's definitely bottom-of-the-barrel. Mia's not much better, but that's just in RE7. I would be curios to see how they grow if they're used again, especially (ending stuff)
if we find out Ethan was an Umbrella employee or something. I actually think that's really interesting and would love to see more. I'd love to see more of their past/future together, that's for sure

Oh don't mind me, I'm kind of a special case. I only really like the original 3, 4, Revelations 1 and this (I have yet to play CV and finish REmake, oops), and I find Chris insufferable and everyone else whatever except for RE4 Leon, which I don't particularly "like", but I enjoy his ridiculousness... so I guess I only really like Ethan? And I don't even find him particularly good, he's just enjoyable to me as far as RE characters go, I guess. His reactions to the encounters with the Bakers were amusing and that's good enough for me.

Depends on what truly killed Nemesis. Because he died either from

1) The magnum
2) The nuke.

Fact is, Jack Baker is
essentially immortal. He only died when he was injected by the necrotoxin. Otherwise, even blasting him in half wasn't enough to kill him. It's obvious that even death in his massive form, wouldn't have killed him. He'd have morphed again into an even bigger and fucked up form. Nemesis doesn't have the necrotoxin. So if the magnum killed Nemesis, than Jack takes it. He can just outmutate Nemesis. If the nuke killed Nemmy....then it's a stalemate. They cannot kill each other, literally.

To be fair, it was the experimental Rail Cannon that truly did Nemesis in. It took 3 direct shots to break him in half. By the end he didn't even have his Tyrant shell anymore, he was just the wriggling NE-α Type parasite. The Magnum was his final nail in an already beaten up coffin.

And I think Nemesis absorbed waaay more punishment then Jack did. Jack was sorta invincible. Nemesis was better sorta invincible.

And there's no indication that the
necrotoxin was the only way to kill Jack. Nemesis and Birkin are both proof that healing regenration only goes so far in RE.

Opa-Pa

Just beat the Daughters DLC. I wish it were a bit longer but damn, that was intense... Cutscene direction for this game is ace. Also, goddamn, is the soundtrack good, it may feel absent but when it hits it's pretty damn effective.

And lmao, Jack's birthday mode is lots of fun haha.

Demoskinos

So boy, can I get some tips for madhouse?

Just in general how the hell do I deal with Jack? This dude must be on some godly cardio routine because jesus he can catch me even when I'm at full sprint.

Also should I buy the scorpion key? Is that the only way to get it?

Any general tips would be great too. I'm loving it but I think I need to wrap my head around how to engage on this difficulty better. Cause right now at least *I* feel like I'm burning through resources way to quickly.

god damn this game. Very early on and I can't play too long in VR - been away from VR a bit and my VR legs are soft.

Man, when
the shovel goes through the cops head
everytime - made me squeal so gory. lol

so... first sorta big fight

Versus Jack. That was fucking thrilling as fuck. This game is just ridiculous in VR. running around the garage squealing. I didn't end up getting in the car. Used the knife and gun Intense as fuck. He was so hard to kill. The first round I didn't realise there was a gun and I must have slashed him a million times and he was still alive

I think right now i can only play about 30 minutes before I need a break. wow. Got the
shotgun shells
and can't wait to use the weapon.

Gren

Welp, after three playthroughs (normal, speedrun, "kill everything") I've had my fill. Just waiting for the free DLC chapter to drop. Will probably check back when the Season Pass gets discounted.

I'm glad the circular saw is so good; don't think I could find the time to beat Madhouse mode for infinite ammo, & the saw more than sufficed in exacting sweet revenge on all those Molded.

Just got the shotgun - I can't play for very long - head is spinning and now looking at the screen here as I type this, it all feels sort of wavy and unreal.

I heard getting a fan blowing at your head helps with the VR queasiness? Might get some ginger tomorrow

When
daddy showed up again. All crispy like. Man did I scream
. lol

also freaked the fuck out when I was tripled teamed by
moldies in the basement

Anyone got any tips for Marguerite on Madhouse? She keeps messing me up, I have got Circular saw, both block buffs etc basically all bonus items except what awarded for completing Madhouse.

Thanks.

Drahcir

Anyone got any tips for Marguerite on Madhouse? She keeps messing me up, I have got Circular saw, both block buffs etc basically all bonus items except what awarded for completing Madhouse.

Thanks.

I just completed Madhouse right now and I found the easiest way to defeat Marguerite with the circular saw and the two defense scrolls was to camp out at the first floor corner across from the exit (the one that crumbles after beating her) and right next to the hole in the wall where she comes out of. Basically camp out there in that corner and when she exits from that hole, use the saw on her nest using the L2+R2 attack. When she jumps and hangs from the ceiling, hold block and wait until she jumps down from the ceiling to attack you. After blocking it, attack her again until she runs away. Let her run away and then get back in the corner, rinse and repeat. I did that 3 times and it was over.

I just completed Madhouse right now and I found the easiest way to defeat Marguerite with the circular saw and the two defense scrolls was to camp out at the first floor corner across from the exit (the one that crumbles after beating her) and right next to the hole in the wall where she comes out of. Basically camp out there in that corner and when she exits from that hole, use the saw on her nest using the L2+R2 attack. When she jumps and hangs from the ceiling, hold block and wait until she jumps down from the ceiling to attack you. After blocking it, attack her again until she runs away. Let her run away and then get back in the corner, rinse and repeat. I did that 3 times and it was over.

That sounds like a solid strategy, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks mate.

EDIT: This is in fact a very solid strategy, just did it on the second attempt using this method. Not sure if it was me but she seems to have an unblockable attack, where she pins you down and takes a bite out of you it doesn't leave you with enough health to take another hit, from anything, even a bug. This it was got me on my first attempt. I just run to the other side of the room, long enough to use a First Aid Med, then ran back to the corner and and repeated. I will add that I didn't need to go and take out any of her nests, pretty sure she went and made 2, got pestered by 2 bugs throughout and just took them out with my saw.

Demoskinos

Up to
The Docks
on Madhouse.
Mutated Jack
is coming up and tbh its the fight I'm most terrified of in the game. Had a hell of a time on normal. Not looking forward to Madhouse.

Anyone have some tips at all? Cause oh god is this the part of this run I'm dreading. Also
The Docks
themselves kind of suck....so many damn molded appear right before you make a dash for the last door.

Unai

Up to
The Docks
on Madhouse.
Mutated Jack
is coming up and tbh its the fight I'm most terrified of in the game. Had a hell of a time on normal. Not looking forward to Madhouse.

Anyone have some tips at all? Cause oh god is this the part of this run I'm dreading. Also
The Docks
themselves kind of suck....so many damn molded appear right before you make a dash for the last door.

The defense button is very useful in this fight.

Demoskinos

Good news.....
C6VektCWgAAys7f.png

Bad news.....

I got through the game and even though i was using a guide I missed 1 goddamn antique coin so I didn't get my trophy for that. God damn it. :(

Top Bottom