• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard | OT | BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

Just bought this in the recent EU sale. Playing in PSVR, holy fucking moly.

Holy fucking moly is right.

I normally don't get scared from videogames at all, but RE7VR was something else. Did actually find myself staring at a crate at one point and refusing to come out.

Enjoy!

LaNaranja

Was gifted a VR and this game and holy shit. I didn't even make it into the shack. I had to turn it off because I was sweating and nauseous. Anyone have any tips to combat this? I think it was the constant camera jerks that were killing me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Was gifted a VR and this game and holy shit. I didn't even make it into the shack. I had to turn it off because I was sweating and nauseous. Anyone have any tips to combat this? I think it was the constant camera jerks that were killing me.

It takes a while to get used to. RE7 was my first 'big' VR game and in the first hour I wasn't sure I could take long stretches of play, but it got a lot better. For me the default mode (turning in angles) was never going to work, so I switched to the classic camera immediately. Try doing that, but set your FOV slider to the narrowest option. After a while I was able to play longer with that setting. If you're used to that, you can even set the FOV to a wider setting. That's also recommended, because the game looks better with wide FOV.

So in short you're probably going to be fiddling with the settings for a while until you find something that clicks for you. But it's normal that you feel nausea at first. I went from putting the set down after a half hour to playing hours without feeling a thing. Your VR legs need to grow. Stick with it, because the game is a lot better with VR than without.

WITHE1982

Yup, you're not alone. I had some difficulty with RE7 at first. For example: I can do barrel rolls in Eve Valkyrie, dive countless hours in Drive Club, run around in Here They lie and I finished Farpoint in 2 monster VR sessions but put me into RE7 and I was sweating and dizzy within a minute.

The only advice I can give is to take advantage of all the optical settings. Enable snap turning and guide lines. After a while ease yourself into playing without them but IMO RE was, by far, the hardest game to acclimatise to.

Rest assured though if you can get used to RE7 then there's little left to fear in VR and the rest should be a breeze.

Stillmatic

The starting walk up to the house was easily the worst part for me, once you're indoors things are a lot easier on you. You kind of build up you VR legs the more you progress. By the end it was super comfortable.

I highly recommend switching to 30 deg turns in the options. I was hesitant to use it because it looks so jarring watching vids of people playing other games with this setting, but it becomes pretty natural and really comfortable.

I also had FOV filter turned off (next low setting is OK too), walk speed normal and guides off.

Also, just take your time and ease yourself into it (ie don't go strafing or spinning around like crazy).

Edit: A couple of other things:

- Pressing 'down' and 'circle' has your character do a 180.
- Pressing 'R3' your character squares his body up to where you were looking when you pressed it.

//ARCANUM

So I had gotten through most of the game a while back (last date played was Feb 12) and then got super busy and didn't return to finish. Well, tonight I got the courage and went back in for one final play session. About 1.5 hrs later I beat RE7. I'm kicking myself I didn't do so months ago. This game is frigging fantastic. A true highlight of gaming for me. It scared the shit outta me and even though I have PSVR, I don't think I can attempt this game in it. It's just too scary. This game is just fantastic though. And for as big of a RE fan as I am, my dirty little secret is that this is only the SECOND RE game I've ever beaten. O_O. (REmake Remaster and now 7.)

ffvorax

At start I was a bit uncomfortable, maybe also because I didn't played VR for some time.

I changed the turning from 90° to free, normal speed, and I was fine playing to the end, even in the most action part, also doing the quick 180° degree movement. Zero problem.

Only thing when I change direction I also move my head in that direction while turning.

So you could try that...

Also as I said in another thread, I played all in VR, and after finishing it I tried without... didn't like it lol, VR is totally game changing for this game... it's really awesome, even with the worse graphic... we need more games like this playable with and without VR!

Since this game was an unfortunate sales disappointment I wonder where Capcom goes from here. I really hope they don't just go back RE 4-6 style crazy action again. They should build on RE7 but do it 3rd person with less linearity, less obtrusive storytelling, with more exploration like the PS1 era games and REmake.

GrayChild

Since this game was an unfortunate sales disappointment I wonder where Capcom goes from here. I really hope they don't just go back RE 4-6 style crazy action again. They should build on RE7 but do it 3rd person with less linearity, less obtrusive storytelling, with more exploration like the PS1 era games and REmake.

CAPCOM have stated that even though the game has missed its 4 million sold copies mark (it's sitting at 3.5 at the moment), they're still happy with the results. I don't think they will discard everything they did with 7.

I think they might get some nice extra sales if they port it to Switch (I'd like to imagine one reason Capcom was making requests on Switch hardware was to get the engine working on it). If XB1 can run it in 1080p 60fps a 720p 30fps port cannot be too far out.

If it happens it will probably be after all the DLC is out so early next year maybe?

Gin-Shiio

I think they might get some nice extra sales if they port it to Switch (I'd like to imagine one reason Capcom was making requests on Switch hardware was to get the engine working on it). If XB1 can run it in 1080p 60fps a 720p 30fps port cannot be too far out.

If it happens it will probably be after all the DLC is out so early next year maybe?

image.php

CAPCOM have stated that even though the game has missed its 4 million sold copies mark (it's sitting at 3.5 at the moment), they're still happy with the results. I don't think they will discard everything they did with 7.

i hope not! i'm not really a fan of first-person games, but resident evil 7 is just so damn good when it's good (which, unfortunately, wasn't quite true down the final stretch) :) ...

LUXURY

Game was decent until
you left the village
and then it just became a whole different game to me and I didn't like any of it. This isn't a Resident Evil I see myself wanting to replay all. I don't really like my horror in first person, and to be honest the use of VR made the entire thing feel like an amusement park display. The first few hours truly were some of the best Resident Evil hours I've ever had, but it didn't last long. I haven't even played the DLC, if that's even out yet.

At this point I don't even know what I want from CAPCOM but I don't think I want anymore installments like this.

Game was decent until
you left the village
and then it just became a whole different game to me and I didn't like any of it. This isn't a Resident Evil I see myself wanting to replay all. I don't really like my horror in first person, and to be honest the use of VR made the entire thing feel like an amusement park display. The first few hours truly were some of the best Resident Evil hours I've ever had, but it didn't last long. I haven't even played the DLC, if that's even out yet.

At this point I don't even know what I want from CAPCOM but I don't think I want anymore installments like this.

what village are you talking about?

Persona7

Banned
Replayed the game after being extremely soured the first time and it is just as bad as I remember. Terrible story and limited enemy variety really disappoint me. The final boss is god awful.

Post like these are beyond insufferable, port begs everywhere.

I hope Capcom is ready to announce a release date for the free dlc and have something to show for the last one.

Post like these are beyond insufferable, port begs everywhere.

I hope Capcom is ready to announce a release date for the free dlc and have something to show for the last one.

I'm not port begging, I have no interest in rebuying the game on Switch. Just stating that a Switch port isn't impossible if they want to boost the sales for RE7.

Played it all in one 7 hour session yesterday. Overall, really enjoyed it, but it was a decline from around the middle.

I'd say

Starting village - 9/10
Boat
section - 7/10
Mines
and final boss - 4/10

Played it all in one 7 hour session yesterday. Overall, really enjoyed it, but it was a decline from around the middle.

I'd say

Starting village - 9/10
Boat
section - 7/10
Mines
and final boss - 4/10

I just finished it for the first time and I have to agree. I couldn't sigh any harder after we ended up with another
creepy child
. Overall, I felt like RE7 is a great foundation for the future of the franchise if the creators focus squarely on the first part with the family.

Resident Evil 8 more or less just needs to do 3 things to full capitalize on 7's foundation:

1) A lot more enemy variety. It would be cool if they added zombies and dogs back as the standard enemies, but also through in Baker-esque harder and smarter enemies that have personalities (but you can can kill in standard combat).
2) Progress from the Baker's estate level design. The house was great but it was still too short and simple and the rest of the locations only get simpler. I want spencer mansion level of intricacies. The fun of classic RE comes from having to backtrack with limited inventories and managing the routes and enemies so that you don't run out of supplies.
3) Harsher inventory management. I don't think we should get the massive amount of extra inventory space that they progressively give you in 7 since that takes away some of the fun of point number 2.

I don't think it felt low budget at all, the production values shit on most similar games. It did feel like they had to rush the last third of the game or something though.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Resident Evil 8 more or less just needs to do 3 things to full capitalize on 7's foundation:

1) A lot more enemy variety. It would be cool if they added zombies and dogs back as the standard enemies, but also through in Baker-esque harder and smarter enemies that have personalities (but you can can kill in standard combat).
2) Progress from the Baker's estate level design. The house was great but it was still too short and simple and the rest of the locations only get simpler. I want spencer mansion level of intricacies. The fun of classic RE comes from having to backtrack with limited inventories and managing the routes and enemies so that you don't run out of supplies.
3) Harsher inventory management. I don't think we should get the massive amount of extra inventory space that they progressively give you in 7 since that takes away some of the fun of point number 2.

This is exactly what I would improve as well. Game needs to be larger as a whole (more enemies, more locations) while maintaining the small, personal non-actiony style of the first 3.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
There are valid complaints about the game but it didn't feel low budget at all..

To elaborate a little, the low budget comment is related to the boat and mine, which others have pointed out to as well. They ran out of budget or just phoned it in with those sections.

bryanee

It pretty much needs to be what RE2 was to RE1 for me. I wouldnt mind seeing old school zombies come back as well along with crimsons. I feel they would work well with the slower paced FPS combat of RE7 and would be a much better generic foe than something like the moulded.

I think the best part of re7 was hiding from the family. I feel like playing hide and seek with the family could have been a cool dynamic. it's a shame the family were ditched so fast for black blobs.

I think the best part of re7 was hiding from the family. I feel like playing hide and seek with the family could have been a cool dynamic. it's a shame the family were ditched so fast for black blobs.

I think there needs to be a balance. I wouldn't have liked a game comprised mostly of unkillable stalkers, but they also definitely played too brief a part in the experience since the molded wore out their welcome like halfway through the game.

I just finished it for the first time and I have to agree. I couldn't sigh any harder after we ended up with another
creepy child
. Overall, I felt like RE7 is a great foundation for the future of the franchise if the creators focus squarely on the first part with the family.
Yes it was so dull to realise they used THAT cliche again...

hiryu64

So this is the first game to ever give me motion sickness in nearly 30 years worth of gaming -- and I'm not even playing in VR. I cranked up brightness, FOV, resolution (supersampling), disabled head wobble, having the aiming reticle always on, anything I could to mitigate the motion sickness. It's playable now, but I still get a dull headache, so it's not a pain-free experience. Something about the game feels off compared to other games, and I think it's how the camera works.

Has anyone noticed that when you're very close to an object -- say a crate or you're peeking around a corner -- and you rotate the camera, foreground objects move faster than background objects? There's a strong parallax effect that's not present in other games. I think what's happening in this game is that rather than controlling the orientation of the camera around a zero-distance from a single fixed point (relative to your character's position), you're controlling the character's head atop their shoulders. Most games, even ones that display the lower body of the character, have a camera that rotates about a fixed position relative to the player's position. It's a very subtle thing, but I think that may be what's bothering me. I'm not sure if I'm communicating this properly, but if you go in-game and stand very close to an object and look left to right, you'll see what I mean.

Again, this has literally never happened to me in my life, and I've played a shitton of first-person games. The only time I ever experience motion sickness is if I'm playing a handheld or reading in a car. Anyone else have any additional insight into this?

Nerrel

I finally finished the game this week; I bought it at launch but found it so unappealing to play that I rarely wanted to return to it. It's a solid, well made game and it has focus in regards to what it wants to be, so they definitely learned their lessons from RE6. It just didn't really connect.

The mansion is nicely designed, but it's nowhere near as intricate and interesting as the locations in the first few games. There are keys and backtracking, but it still feels fairly linear and scaled down; you don't really backtrack much, and I only went down some of those hallways once. I'd actually liken it to the type of exploration in the Revelations games, specifically the ending of 2 where you have your brief little quasi-mansion segment; it feels like this is halfway between that and the full on maze-like buildings in the first two games. The puzzles were also pretty weak, and having to use videotapes to pre-solve puzzles before solving them in the real game just kind of pissed me off. It felt like a drag on the pacing.

I wasn't a fan of the style of horror, either. It relies on shock and gross-outs way too much (at one point you have to reach into a full toilet). A lot of the scares felt like they were tailor made for VR, shoving something gross in your face over and over. It also felt like the game was missing a lot of character due to the lack of a soundtrack. Each environment in the old games had really oppressive and memorable atmospheres thanks to the great music; nothing here is especially memorable or interesting.

The controls felt like they were compromised for the sake of VR. You can barely tell when you're running because the speed is about the same as walking, which makes maneuvering around enemies clumsier than it's ever been in this series. Say what you want about tank controls, but you could run and they were pretty fluid once you got used to them. Here, you pretty much have to slowly trot out of the way of attacks and use the block move to make up for your lack of mobility. Maybe I'm just bad at it, but there are times when it seemed like it just wasn't possible to get out of the way.

The best thing about the game is that they got the fundamentals of survival horror right. The ammo was pretty limited, the weapons never really felt as powerful as I wanted, and a single enemy could be really threatening when low on supplies.

The Bakers were great, but the story otherwise was junk. I was really disappointed that the
Zoey ending
wasn't the better one, since knowing what you will about
Mia's role in the disaster, saving Zoey
should be the right choice. Instead they give you
the "fuck you" ending and kill her right away as your reward for saving the innocent person.
It just felt really half baked, to the point where I wonder whey they even give you the choice to begin with.

It's a really impressive turnaround from RE6 and you can tell that Capcom worked really hard to get it right this time. I don't think it has the depth or charm that the fixed camera games did, and it's not as immediately fun or enjoyable as the over the shoulder games (well, RE4 anyway) could be, but it works for what it is. I think they could improve a lot with a sequel that had more variety and less VR pandering.

/amateur hack review

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
So this is the first game to ever give me motion sickness in nearly 30 years worth of gaming -- and I'm not even playing in VR. I cranked up brightness, FOV, resolution (supersampling), disabled head wobble, having the aiming reticle always on, anything I could to mitigate the motion sickness. It's playable now, but I still get a dull headache, so it's not a pain-free experience. Something about the game feels off compared to other games, and I think it's how the camera works.
Again, this has literally never happened to me in my life, and I've played a shitton of first-person games. The only time I ever experience motion sickness is if I'm playing a handheld or reading in a car. Anyone else have any additional insight into this?
I had the same problem when it was released. I eventually got used to it after disabling the camera wobble and enabling the crosshair. I was getting so sick without the crosshair for whatever reason that anytime I even see a video of it without it, I have a feeling akin to that creeping headache you mention. It definitely has something to do with the way the FOV is calculated and the way the camera itself actually moves but I don't know how.

bumpkin

I'll tell you though, I did not expect
old lady Baker to end up being the big bad. I mean you knew something stood out about her the way she'd randomly show up in other places of the house, but it still surprised me.

Also, I want the story DLC, Capcom!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nice bump, just started it this week finally.
I'm still in the house about 2.5hrs in (I play slow).

It's incredibly tense!
Reminds me very much of how I felt playing RE1, all those years ago. They did a great job "modernizing" that emotional arch. I'm pleasantly surprised how much this really is still a Resident Evil main title at its core.

It's far too grotesque for me to even attempt in VR, but certainly psychologically I'm invested despite how much realistic violence turns me off. They strike a good balance.

So far so good!

Experien

It looks like the DLC is on sale for PS4 version of RE7. I own the game and will soon be playing it in VR on my Pro.

How does the DLC measure up? Should I nab it while it is on sale or I can afford to pass on it?

Chabbles

Anyone else experience this glitch where the ammo counter for your weapon stays on screen all the time displaying how much ammo you have left ?. If i open and close the inventory it disappears until i shot or reload again, very annoying. Playing VR on PS4pro.

Glitch just started happening, was grand up until tonight... i've just reached the caravan, reloading into an earlier save and same shit is happening ??

Jawmuncher

It looks like the DLC is on sale for PS4 version of RE7. I own the game and will soon be playing it in VR on my Pro.

How does the DLC measure up? Should I nab it while it is on sale or I can afford to pass on it?

Just get the Season Pass and wait on the final DLC. It'll be a better value since buying them individually isn't a value at all even on sale.

Anyone else experience this glitch where the ammo counter for your weapon stays on screen all the time displaying how much ammo you have left ?. If i open and close the inventory it disappears until i shot or reload again, very annoying. Playing VR on PS4pro.

Glitch just started happening, was grand up until tonight... i've just reached the caravan, reloading into an earlier save and same shit is happening ??

Never had this issue. Hopefully just reloading the save or resetting the system can fix that.

I ultimately agree but RE7 is actually quite intentionally a pastiche of many, many old horror tropes, both from its past games and other games/movies. This one was a bit on the nose I agree - but it fits with the rest of the game.

Just get the Season Pass and wait on the final DLC. It'll be a better value since buying them individually isn't a value at all even on sale..

I'd heard the banned footage stuff was all mediocre though - what if I only want the
redfield
ep? (Spoilered just in case)

Top Bottom