• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 is an Xbox Play Anywhere title (Buy once, play on PC and X1)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yh still am surprised they got Activision to there in the first place even though COD isn't the property it is on PC.It will be interesting to see if they even get a truly massive property on WS and XPA.

I'd be shocked if MS didn't financially incentivise the WinStore release. I mean, it stands to reason that if Acti actually cared, then it wouldn't have condemned the version to be an MP wasteland by not supporting cross-platform MP. Talk about half-hearted.

ClearData

The utter nightmare that I've had with Quantum Break and Gears of War 4 have sworn me off Play Anywhere. I hope everything works well for anyone going this route. I will be sticking with the Steam version.

JaggedSac

The utter nightmare that I've had with Quantum Break and Gears of War 4 have sworn me off Play Anywhere. I hope everything works well for anyone going this route. I will be sticking with the Steam version.

Technically, Quantum Break is not Play Anywhere.

Novocaine

This is a good move going forward. But I do wonder what will happen when third party games with multiplayer components start coming out as play anywhere.

More specifically will they be paired with Steam/Origin players? Xbox One players? Both or neither?

This is a good move going forward. But I do wonder what will happen when third party games with multiplayer components start coming out as play anywhere.

More specifically will they be paired with Steam/Origin players? Xbox One players? Both or neither?

Well, Xbox Live changed last year to work with any network if they allow it. If Valve or EA as an example wanted to support that, then everyone could be in one matchmaking pool regardless of storefront. So you could buy it from Steam, which uses Steamworks but still get matched with someone on XBL.

In terms of PC vs console, it's developer choice. Gears of War does it on a per-playlist basis.

Novocaine

Well, Xbox Live changed last year to work with any network if they allow it. If Valve or EA as an example wanted to support that, then everyone could be in one matchmaking pool regardless of storefront. So you could buy it from Steam, which uses Steamworks but still get matched with someone on XBL.

In terms of PC vs console, it's developer choice. Gears of War does it on a per-playlist basis.

I just hope developers push for one big pool instead of segmented ones. It will be much better for all of us in the long-term.

I know about Gears and I've heard that the competitive side on PC is pretty bad but it's been much better on Xbox. I understand why they feel the need to split the playerbase in that regard but it's a good example of why doing it can also be bad.

eastx

Predictable negative responses in a positive MS news thread. Gonna be a sad day for some folks around here when MS finally buys Steam.

That's obviously never going to happen. But it would probably lead to mass bouts of seppuku.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Predictable negative responses in a positive MS news thread. Gonna be a sad day for some folks around here when MS finally buys Steam.

Doom and gloom is a common thread in discussions regarding what will happen to Valve when Gabe inevitably retires and passes the proverbial torch to someone else (my guess is either Doug Lombardi or Erik Johnson), however broad interviews with other Valve employees make it abundantly clear that they're aware that the company's meteoric and continued success can be attributed to having no shareholders to appease and no concern for short-term gains. There's also the distinct possibility that Gabe will retain his controlling stake in Valve even when he retires.

KillLaCam

Banned
Hmm if this trend continues Ill actually buy more stuff on the windows store.

They need to do something about the awful download speeds though. Gears 4 took me like 38 hrs to download but I downloaded Battlefield 1 in like 6

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They don't? What if they think they can make more money by selling the game separately on Xbox and Windows than Microsoft is willing to give them?

Huh? So you think there's this secret giant pool of gamers who double dip on major retail releases on console and PC?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
It's nice to see more titles but the truth is I'm never going back to the Windows Store so it doesn't matter. Pick this up on PS4 or Steam eventually

Tecnniqe

Banned
Hmm if this trend continues Ill actually buy more stuff on the windows store.

They need to do something about the awful download speeds though. Gears 4 took me like 38 hrs to download but I downloaded Battlefield 1 in like 6
Well I downloaded Dead Rising 4 from the store in under 1 hour and it's like 46GB so it's pretty decent for me IMO.

I do hope this trend continues and the store do get some overhauls in both the social and user aspect so we might get another competitor on the market.

Lom1lo

I hope more devs do this. It would make digital much more worthwhile. If I ever not going to buy a xbox, I would still be able to play my stuff on pc.

Wuiji

Nice bonus if you're buying the XBO version.

But as a dedicated PC gamer, I'd rather have a Steam version.

Pretty much. It's one of the reasons I picked up Astroneer on Game Preview. If it was just on the Xbox One, or just on Steam, I'd have never even considered it. But getting a PC copy (albeit the UWP version) and an Xbox One copy all in one go prompted the purchase. Plus, the bonus of game sharing with my brother.

I hope more single player/co-op games get the Play Anywhere treatment.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Just me or will Play Anywhere ultimately fail because if it does get popular, why would a publisher want to lose double dippers. Microsoft must be giving them an incentive to do it but scale that up and I don't think either party would be interested.

Double dippers? On AAA retail games?

All 15 of them?

Play Anywhere's biggest advantage is engagement. You're giving gamers more places to play their games and keep them engaged.

The money they'd make from that would far outweigh the small handful of double dippers that may exist.

GHG

Gold Member
Good news for Xbox gamers who also happen to have a gaming PC.

For everybody else this is just a fart in the wind.

JoeLT

Good news for Xbox gamers who also happen to have a gaming PC.

For everybody else this is just a fart in the wind.
You'd be surprised how well modern ultra books run these games, you won't be hitting max settings 60 fps by any means, but you'll be able to play them well enough. I think a big appeal to this is Xbox users with normal laptops and desktops that they can play on if they feel like it.

GHG

Gold Member
You'd be surprised how well modern ultra books run these games, you won't be hitting max settings 60 fps by any means, but you'll be able to play them well enough. I think a big appeal to this is Xbox users with normal laptops and desktops that they can play on if they feel like it.

Then those people would most likely have bought the game on Xbox anyway regardless of whether it was going to be play anywhere or not. It was just a case of whether they chose to buy digital or physical and this announcement could help sway them towards digital in order to keep the play anywhere option open for themselves.

Noob post

What's the difference between the MS and Steam versions of games? Like why are people saying they won't play RE7 unless its the steam version?

GHG

Gold Member
Noob post

What's the difference between the MS and Steam versions of games? Like why are people saying they won't play RE7 unless its the steam version?

Mods and a win32 version over a UWP version.

The demo that came out was win32 and performed well. Nobody knows what the performance of the UWP version is like yet.

...maybe you want it on Xbox, too? Isn't the appeal obvious??

And if you don't have an Xbox...?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Mods and a win32 version over a UWP version.

The demo that came out was win32 and performed well. Nobody knows what the performance of the UWP version is like yet.

Why, do you expect the game to have performance issues?

And if you don't have an Xbox...?
Then why would you enter a thread about its store system to begin with?

Maybe people don't mind it, maybe they'll get a Scorpio. Maybe they just feel like it.

Who knows and who cares. It's a great initiative regardless.

Synth

Then those people would most likely have bought the game on Xbox anyway regardless of whether it was going to be play anywhere or not. It was just a case of whether they chose to buy digital or physical and this announcement could help sway them towards digital in order to keep the play anywhere option open for themselves.

Actually, I buy most games on Steam when all else is equal (exceptions being Quantum Break because I thought it was exclusive, and Rise of the Tomb Raider due to price error getting me it for £7 at launch). However, in the case of a game being play anywhere, I'd opt for the Windows Store version every time, as it gives me more options if say I'm away for work, and can just grab my Xbox to take with me. Also my brother that shares my XB1 library automatically gains access too.

EDIT: Actually not Quantum Break, as that came as a package deal with the XB1 pre-order, so I'd have probably done that even if the Steam version launched at the same time.

Does everything end with Microsoft buying someone out? So in the they will own Steam and Nintendo? Hell might as well buy the PlayStation division as well. Can't beat them then buy them. It's just as likely.

GHG

Gold Member
Why, do you expect the game to have performance issues?

Then why would you enter a thread about its store system to begin with?

Maybe people don't mind it, maybe they'll get a Scorpio. Maybe they just feel like it.

Who knows and who cares. It's a great initiative regardless.

Do I expect the UWP game to have performance issues? Let me put it this way... I wouldn't be surprised if it did and I would be pleasantly surprised if it didn't.

I didn't see a security check asking whether or not I own an Xbox prior to entering this thread? I'm not against the initiative and I think it's a great option for those who have the capability to play games on both of the platforms concerned. However, if you only have a gaming PC and have no intention of ever getting an Xbox it doesn't make sense to pay more money and end up with an inferior locked down version of the game via an inferior storefront does it?

Until Microsoft get the store and its feature set up to speed you are forever going to be seeing questions asked any time news like this pops up, so get your emoji's to the ready.

Actually, I buy most games on Steam when all else is equal (exceptions being Quantum Break because I thought it was exclusive, and Rise of the Tomb Raider due to price error getting me it for £7 at launch). However, in the case of a game being play anywhere, I'd opt for the Windows Store version every time, as it gives me more options if say I'm away for work, and can just grab my Xbox to take with me. Also my brother that shares my XB1 library automatically gains access too.

EDIT: Actually not Quantum Break, as that came as a package deal with the XB1 pre-order, so I'd have probably done that even if the Steam version launched at the same time.

Exactly, so your the guy with a gaming PC and an Xbox One as I mentioned in my post above. Considering the hardware at your disposal this makes sense for you based on the fact that you would use the play anywhere feature.

Steam release uses Denovo so doesn't that remove modding potential?

Not necessarily. Just Cause 3 uses Denovo and there are plenty of mods available for it including a multiplayer mod.

There are already some mods in the works for RE7 such as a 3rd person camera mod.

krumble

Not necessarily. Just Cause 3 uses Denovo and there are plenty of mods available for it including a multiplayer mod.

There are already some mods in the works for RE7 such as a 3rd person camera mod.

I'm kind of hoping that someone clever can hack in the VR mode prior to the year exclusivity being up - something so fundamental to the PS4 version would be difficult to just rip out the code I would hope...

Synth

Exactly, so your the guy with a gaming PC and an Xbox One as I mentioned in my post above. Considering the hardware at your disposal this makes sense for you based on the fact that you would use the play anywhere feature.

Well, my point was that despite having both platforms, I wasn't likely to default to buying it on Xbox regardless. The Xbox version would have been a third place choice behind both Steam and potentially PS4 due to PSVR. Having it available on both platforms via a single purchase gains MS a sale here.

Head.spawn

I wonder if they'll go back and add VR support to the Scorpio version when the time comes. I mean I guess they'll be doing the Steam version at that time for sure, they might as well I guess.

GHG

Gold Member
Well, my point was that despite having both platforms, I wasn't likely to default to buying it on Xbox regardless. The Xbox version would have been a third place choice behind both Steam and potentially PS4 due to PSVR. Having it available on both platforms via a single purchase gains MS a sale here.

I never said you would, you have a gaming PC. In that statement I was referring to those who are primarily Xbox gamers who happen to have a laptop/desktop in the house that isn't primarily a gaming PC per se but has low end gaming capabilities (integrated graphics for example) which they can use should they find themselves in a situation where they need to use the play anywhere function.

Noob post

Windows 10 is like two operating systems divided into two parts. There's an iOS style closed part which consists mostly out of tablet apps. Then there's the desktop that PC users have been using for 20 years, as open as ever.

The Steam version runs on the desktop half of Windows (and doesn't have to be Windows 10). It works like any other PC game, your game files are where they usually would be and may be able to be modded.

The Windows 10 version (this is what the cross-play deal gives you) runs on the closed tablet half of Windows 10. You can't choose what folder the game is installed in, because it's designed like a tablet app and file/folder access is supposed to be irrelevant. You're also not allowed to modify the game's files even as a system admin. As this is a closed platform, Microsoft decides what kind of features developers and hardware manufacturers are allowed to implement.

jelly

Double dippers? On AAA retail games?

All 15 of them?

Play Anywhere's biggest advantage is engagement. You're giving gamers more places to play their games and keep them engaged.

The money they'd make from that would far outweigh the small handful of double dippers that may exist.

You think. I dunno. Imagine if GTAV was play anywhere. It seems like lost sales to me. I get people most likely buy with the intention of playing on one platform and it's a bonus but people do move around and don't always stick to one platform for that whole time so buying another copy still happens.

Synth

I never said you would, you have a gaming PC. In that statement I was referring to those who are primarily Xbox gamers who happen to have a laptop/desktop in the house that isn't primarily a gaming PC per se but has low end gaming capabilities (integrated graphics for example) which they can use should they find themselves in a situation where they need to use the play anywhere function.

Ah fair enough. I didn't pay attention to the "ultrabook" part of the post you were responding to.

Trup1aya

I'm actually surprised to see Ms getting see MS getting third party support for this program.

Now if they would just fix the dang store on pc

Top Bottom