• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 is an Xbox Play Anywhere title (Buy once, play on PC and X1)

So, how long until:

- Every Xbox game going forward is play anywhere?
- Ms ports the xbone OS to windows and offers all non uwp xbone games to the windows store as well? (Including 360 BC of course)?

Imo, they are both inevitable (or at least should be if Ms is serious about making the best eco system they could possible make)

I read that Microsoft is working on a one interface shell that would dynamically change based on the input. Windows Central said it should be appearing the future builds soon. So, we will see if the second happens very soon.

GravyButt

No that's how it works!
Just you know, gotta make sure you're connected to the internet so your save syncs up

Oh man that's awesome! Digital only right though? I have forza horizon 3 physical. Guess that wont apply. Now to figure out how to get gears on my pc since this is all new to me!

Zedox

They don't? What if they think they can make more money by selling the game separately on Xbox and Windows than Microsoft is willing to give them?

Well, they can think that, but they actually have a way to measure that now, and I think that's the reason why Capcom decided to make this title XPA. They saw those Steam vs. WS numbers and the digital XBO numbers and did comparisons on where they get the most money. They have to realize that the number of double dippers are low. Giving someone who has an Xbox a bigger incentive to go digital is smart. That's really what this does... well, one thing. The other is having development of Xbox games scale to PC and in the future Scorpio also puts games that wouldn't be on PC, on that platform. Basically keeping more users away from used games sales is beneficial to publishers. It's all opportunity cost. We shall see. But I'm sure if it is successful, we'll def see more Capcom games going XPA.

I read that Microsoft is working on a one interface shell that would dynamically change based on the input. Windows Central said it should be appearing the future builds soon. So, we will see if the second happens very soon.

Yea, but don't expect it soon. I wouldn't expect the Xbox stuff until next year really. With some steps on the design going this year with the GUIDE and stuff.

Zedox

I don't get why people think they would release it on steam? Are they just PS fans trying to find a negative?

No, pc gamers who know what they want out of a pc game. There's nothing wrong with that. They have expectations based off of tradition. There are always trolls though. 

SOR5

Oh man that's awesome! Digital only right though? I have forza horizon 3 physical. Guess that wont apply. Now to figure out how to get gears on my pc since this is all new to me!

Digital only but codes also give you the same benefit, look around for other prices before you buy straight from W10/Xbox store

Yjynx

So there would be no excuse if Re7 sales on X1 bombed.

Since apparently to Xbox fans these Japanese title are irrelevant.

KageMaru

Was going to get the Steam version but this may make me reconsider. Will wait to see if there are any differences between the two.

Do you have a "digital" copy of Gears 4 on Xbox One? If so go to the Windows 10 store, My Library, find Gears 4 and begin downloading it, at 92ish GB. Easy as pie.

Yjynx

I think you've generalized a few bad eggs from Twitter here

I can gives you more but whatever.

Speaking for myself, (first gen where I have ever only had one console), I went Xbox because I would take halo over pretty much any franchise. There are only a very small handful of 3rd party games that would make me change my mind. None of what you listed are important to me either.

None of the games in the OP interest me in the slightest. In fact the only jp games that I am missing are Nintendo's games.

Enjoy them my PlayStation brothers.

Kayant

Yes that's exactly why Microsoft want to release the game on their store, so they get the money. The same thing likely happens on the Xbox store, either way they get their cut.

It's business, is it truly that hard to understand?
Yh i read that wrong. Whoops! Brain fart. Time for some sleep.

Edit -

Decent get for MS wonder if they can get COD next year given they some how got them on the store already.

Seloth

Banned
Oh, you're talking about XPA.

Yeah, Windows Store & UWP are not popular among PC-players. The Windows Store has a history of installation/updating issues for a lot of users; and UWP is needlessly limited, with no benefits for the average PC-player.

So people will naturally go to the storefront they prefer, and while I don't think it's reasonable to expect XPA on Steam, I wouldn't say it's weird that people want it. It's not really about being negative.

That would be like MS fronting the fee to allow your purchases to be playable on PS4 as well. It IS weird.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Decent get for MS wonder if they can get COD next year given they so how got time on the store already.

CoD:IW and MWR are on the WinStore. Nobody cares, though. You could chalk that up to the lack of XPA/cross-platform multiplayer to some extent, I suppose, however, by and large, XPA simply isn't a compelling incentive for PC gamers, so I doubt the games being XPA titles would have changed much as far as engagement from the WinStore side is concerned (an Xbox player playing his/her complimentary PC version doesn't help the WinStore gain traction within the PC DD space).

LordRaptor

That would be like MS fronting the fee to allow your purchases to be playable on PS4 as well. It IS weird.

MS could sell Steam keys themselves and Valve wouldn't take any cut from those sales.
They don't want to, because they don't want to support the most popular PC platform.

Thats why most PC gamers aren't enthralled with Play Anywhere. They don't own Xboxes, so it offers nothing.

jelly

Just me or will Play Anywhere ultimately fail because if it does get popular, why would a publisher want to lose double dippers. Microsoft must be giving them an incentive to do it but scale that up and I don't think either party would be interested.

Bodom78

Nice, I like my achievements and also game on the PC so this is great news.

I wish more third party titles would have this option.

Zedox

Just me or will Play Anywhere ultimately fail because if it does get popular, why would a publisher want to lose double dippers. Microsoft must be giving them an incentive to do it but scale that up and I don't think either party would be interested.

Because that market is how big? In my opinion, not that large for it to matter.

If it gets popular, that means you have more people buying digital games on their xbox console, which means less physical copies, which means less used game sales that they get no cut of. The profits would be bigger for them if this became popular.

JaggedSac said:
They may miss out on some double dipping I guess.

Yea, that is what they would lose, but I'm sure that market isn't that big, otherwise Capcom of all businesses wouldn't be doing this. I'm still confused as to why MS wouldn't push for XPA for DR4 that they paid for exclusivity. Though if I were MS I would rather Resident Evil under the initiative than DR4 because of the RE brand.

jelly

Imagine if Rockatar made GTAV Play Anywhere. Extreme example but it seems like wasted money. Microsoft must be offering an incentive.

Synth

If you play PC, what does it matter. A bonus if you are a console player.

You can play with two PC copies online also. Technically 3 copies between XB1 and PC (home Xbox, home PC and XBL sign-in).

Not terribly important for something like RE VII, where the other person could simply use your Steam copy offline, but very useful for anything online multiplayer.

Kayant

CoD:IW and MWR are on the WinStore. Nobody cares, though. You could chalk that up to the lack of XPA/cross-platform multiplayer to some extent, I suppose, however, by and large, XPA simply isn't a compelling incentive for PC gamers, so I doubt the games being XPA titles would have changed much as far as engagement from the WinStore side is concerned (an Xbox player playing his/her complimentary PC version doesn't help the WinStore gain traction within the PC DD space).
Yh still am surprised they got Activision to there in the first place even though COD isn't the property it is on PC.It will be interesting to see if they even get a truly massive property on WS and XPA.

GravyButt

Do you have a "digital" copy of Gears 4 on Xbox One? If so go to the Windows 10 store, My Library, find Gears 4 and begin downloading it, at 92ish GB. Easy as pie.

Weird. Half of my games arent showing up in my library. Gears of War 4 being one of them. Had to search for it to show that I owned it and be able to download it. Odd.

Also, maybe im misunderstanding but is call of duty infinite warfare also play anywhere? I also own that digitally but it wont show up, but also searching for it it shows that I dont own it and shows a price oddly enough. Strange. Sorry if im hijacking this topic but figured id ask.

Edit: Nvm im a turd, totally misunderstood and a quick google search shows its not a play anywhere title.

vg260

Glad to see third parties doing this even though my RE colllection is on Steam, and I want to keep them all there. Any other series and this would make me consider an X1/W10 purchase.

For those of you who think this is great:

I just wonder. I guess you own both system, right? PC and Xbox One. If you only game on PC, I guess you would buy it on Steam? If you buy it for Xbox One, are you planning to play half of the game on the Xbox, and the other half on PC? I just don`t get appeal with Play Anywhere.

It's pretty nice to play Recore or Forza on my pc in the office and then go play on the xbone in my room before I go to sleep. I just don't get why people don't get the appeal of that.

Zedox

I think its big enough to matter for Publishers who already have their own sales platforms on the PC - EA / Ubi / arguably Activision.

Those who have their own stores, yes it wouldn't make sense for them because of 70% vs. 100%. But that's a different scenario than the total market for double dippers where things are "equal." They may have their own reasons to do XPA but on the surface of it, yes, it doesn't make sense for those publishers to do so.

Top Bottom