• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 is an Xbox Play Anywhere title (Buy once, play on PC and X1)

shanew21

It's a genius move by MS to help fight piracy/used game sales. I've been going digital on every single Play Anywhere game so far (Recore, Gears, Forza)

Izuna

Banned
I drew a Venn diagram of people who think this is bad and people who think EA Access isn't worth it;

orange.jpg

lol

Krakn3Dfx

The current state of the Windows 10 Store, especially given Comcast's new data cap policy, makes using it a pretty terrifying proposition. It doesn't take many slips on MS' side that involve me unknowingly re-downloading an entire 60-80GB game to eat into my 1TB/month allowance.

It's also the reason I don't put my PS4 or XB1 into hibernation to allow them to automatically download stuff willy-nilly when I'm not paying attention. These companies need to get their shit together in a big way or they need to look into subsidizing companies like Comcast so that console/PC gaming data isn't counted towards their monthly cap.

shanew21

Wow that might sway me from Steam to Xbox. What do you guys think?

Xbox One + Windows Store vs Steam

Help!

As long as they don't wall off the community like they did for CoD, I really don't care either way. I'll buy on Windows Store no problem.

However, they need to fix the update bug that makes you redownload the entire game if you don't have a lot of disc space.

Woah, that's really awesome. As someone who does most of their gaming on console, I like the idea of getting a free PC copy for when I eventually upgrade my PC.

JaggedSac

Well, good.

I'll be getting RE VII for the PSVR, though. If I ever want to play the PC version, I'd snag it on Steam.

I'm assuming the Windows store version of RE VII will account for about 2% of sales since there's also a Steam version available.

That really depends on what you consider as the Windows Store. Technically, it is one Store across all devices attached to an account.

Gamezone

Gold Member
For those of you who think this is great:

I just wonder. I guess you own both system, right? PC and Xbox One. If you only game on PC, I guess you would buy it on Steam? If you buy it for Xbox One, are you planning to play half of the game on the Xbox, and the other half on PC? I just don`t get appeal with Play Anywhere.

SOR5

I just wonder. I guess you own both system, right? PC and Xbox One. If you only game on PC, I guess you would buy it on Steam? If you buy it for Xbox One, are you planning to play half of the game on the Xbox, and the other half on PC? I just don`t get appeal with Play Anywhere.

When I want to play it on my PC I play on my PC

When I want to play it on my Xbox I can play it on my Xbox

MUnited83

For you.
No, VR mode is exclusive to PSVR for 12 months
Well, someone will probably mod it quite quickly to support VR on the Steam version, while the UWP is going to be left in the dust.

Hell, I would even bet that the UWP version doesn't even get the official Vr support either, I hardly think they will still be updating that version by then.

Scenario:

Played first half of game on only available TV in the house. You take a break.
You now want to continue to play the game, but the only available TV in the house is being used for X reason.

What do you do?

Boot up your Windows 10 pc, and start where you left off when playing on your TV. In this case, your Xbox One. You no longer need to wait and can continue to game when some options are no longer available to you.

Does that scenario help you understand the appeal it may have?

Flux

You could also split the cost of the game if you have a friend or something. Works if one person is more on PC and one on xbox.

Same reason people asked how they could ever use Steam back in the day.

And Origin.

And uPlay.
People actively use Origin and uPlay? Like, for more than just EA games (because ubisoft still sells on Steam)?

And yeah this isn't 2004 anymore, some basic things need to work.

Tecnniqe

Banned
People actively use Origin and uPlay? Like, for more than just EA games (because ubisoft still sells on Steam)?

And yeah this isn't 2004 anymore, some basic things need to work.
People actively use all of them now, but that's not how they started out. They all started out like W10 Store.

Basic things like purchase and download?

They work.

Scenario:
My Xbox is at my girlfriends house where I do not live. I am at my parents house where I do live, hop on my desktop, and am able to play my game with no other steps needed.

Not sure why people can't think of similar scenarios like this.

SOR5

I've always seen the "why bother with XPA" thing like someone asking why I should buy headphones when I already have a bluetooth speaker

I want both, I'll use both when its necessary, its not bad to have more things, there is literally no downside

Wow, I thought Xbox Play Anywhere titles would have stayed first party forever. This is a very welcomed surprise, although, I'll definitely be getting this for the PSVR experience but I hope to see future titles follow suit.

FyreWulff

I have both an Xbox and PC. Why wouldn't I want a game that works on both?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Scenario:
My Xbox is at my girlfriends house where I do not live. I am at my parents house where I do live, hop on my desktop, and am able to play my game with no other steps needed.

Not sure why people can't think of similar scenarios like this.

I'm not sure why people care so much what others find useful.

Currently I only game on xbone, but for many times in my life I had a gaming pc too. It will be nice to switch platforms and have the games following.

I use to travel a lot for work, and I use to take my Xbox with me, with play anywhere I can just take my laptop to the trip (I actually already have gigantic installed in case I need to take a trip :p)

Tecnniqe

Banned
Currently I only game on xbone, but for many times in my life I had a gaming pc too. It will be nice to switch platforms and have the games following.

I use to travel a lot for work, and I use to take my Xbox with me, with play anywhere I can just take my laptop to the trip (I actually already have gigantic installed in case I need to take a trip :p)

aboveview-800x478.jpg

Play a game on your Xbox at home, if someone else wants to use the TV then you just continue playing on your PC or laptop.

You have a gaming PC and your brother has an Xbone? Do the gamesharing thing so you can both play the game for the price of one copy.

Have an Xbox right now but you think you might get a gaming PC somewhere down the line, grab a Play Anywhere title so you get the best of both worlds.

You are at university/work during the week but commute home for weekends. Now you don't need to lug your Xbox or gaming rig back and forth because you can play your games on both systems with saves automatically transferred via the cloud.

If you can't think of situations in which Play Anywhere titles would be beneficial then either you have zero imagination or you're being deliberately obtuse.

Zojirushi

That's cool but...for a multiplatform title W10 store and XOne are like the exact two platforms I DON'T want this game to own on ;)

Nzyme32

LOL, no.

Steam all the way. How can people even ask if they should use the windows store.

"Play Anywhere" is a good solution for those that have an Xbox and PC, and want to use both while being happy with the nature of the Xbox ecosystem and lock down Windows applications.

For anyone else, obviously your choice on PC is Steam, and other than that there's PS4. I'll be grabbing the Steam version for the usual obvious reasons.

No, VR mode is exclusive to PSVR for 12 months

Well - if you exclude people modding the support in before that period - a near certainty when the VR capability is not really altering the games standard gameplay too much. Still I'd be far more interested in proper support afterwards via SteamVR & RoomScale, since I really can't stand restricted movement and tend to be one of those people walking and crawling everywhere looking at everything or being far too energetic. Not going to bother buying it till the support gets implemented anyway.

Izuna

Banned
Well - if you exclude people modding the support in before that period - a near certainty when the VR capability is not really altering the games standard gameplay too much. Still I'd be far more interested in proper support afterwards via SteamVR & RoomScale, since I really can't stand restricted movement and tend to be one of those people walking and crawling everywhere looking at everything or being far too energetic. Not going to bother buying it till the support gets implemented anyway.

Providing this is UWP

People ain't modding shit

Rizific

the only worth i put into play anywhere is being able to buy once and have a x1 version available for my son to play with the pc version reserved for me. i know for a fact my son wont play this. so steam version definitely. but good gesture nonetheless.

"Play Anywhere" is a good solution for those that have an Xbox and PC, and want to use both while being happy with the nature of the Xbox ecosystem and lock down Windows applications.

For anyone else, obviously your choice on PC is Steam, and other than that there's PS4. I'll be grabbing the Steam version for the usual obvious reasons.

Yes this is a great perk to those already buying on xbox. I just can't fathom someone switching because of this.

Anion

I mean it won't matter if you anyways would play only on PC. It's only for people with box Xbox and PC and if they play both platforms

I drew a Venn diagram of people who think this is bad and people who think EA Access isn't worth it;

orange.jpg
Lmao
😂

Right, but I'm saying that VR support is questionable.
Vive is Valve's baby so I doubt any Vive titles will be supported in a Window's Store product. Oculus perhaps, but we haven't seen any VR titles in the Windows 10 Store yet to my knowledge, have we?

There's two UWP VR games/apps in the store. Minecraft and the Xbox VR Streaming app.

Top Bottom