• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 is an Xbox Play Anywhere title (Buy once, play on PC and X1)

Lazaro

I want that on my PC and PS4.
PULL YOUR FINGER OUT SONY!

I think Sony making a PSN PC client is not a bad idea, it doesn't need the PS Console exclusives, just PC games like GTA V, Skyrim SE, Deus Ex Mankind Divided etc.  packaged with PSN services while also allowing Cross-Play and PS4 compatible Cloud-saves.  

AHindD

I think Sony making a PSN PC client is not a bad idea, it doesn't need the PS Console exclusives, just PC games like GTA V, Skyrim SE, Deus Ex Mankind Divided etc.  packaged with PSN services while also allowing Cross-Play and PS4 compatible Cloud-saves.  

It makes no sense for Sony to do this, they have no investment at all in the PC platform, they'll all of a sudden need to support a platform they have no control over, and they'll never get buy in from Steam / GOG as partners, as its suicidal for all involved.

Plus they have this little utility called Remote Play. The possibility of perfecting game streaming / remote play would make SO much more sense.

SAiLO

It would be great if Sony did this with (at least some) cross-platform titles.
Imagine playing Witcher 3 or any other game on your PS4, saving then moving on to the PC and just picking up where you left off.

I would even be happy to double dip for most anticipated/favourite titles.

Zedox

Why this is a PA title and Dead Rising 4 is not is totally beyond me.

I agree.

There are two scenarios in which I can see why they did this.

1. They wanted to see the difference in sales of IPs in the program vs. out of the program.
2. They saw the sales of DR4 for the Windows Store and said fuck it, it's no doing as well as we expected, let's see how it does in the program as the loss isn't as big as we predict.

Synth

I agree.

There are two scenarios in which I can see why they did this.

1. They wanted to see the difference in sales of IPs in the program vs. out of the program.
2. They saw the sales of DR4 for the Windows Store and said fuck it, it's no doing as well as we expected, let's see how it does in the program as the loss isn't as big as we predict.

Scenario 2 makes the most sense to me.

"We don't wanna sacrifice double-dippers"

"Oh, there were only 12 of them"

Zedox

Scenario 2 makes the most sense to me.

"We don't wanna sacrifice double-dippers"

"Oh, there were only 12 of them"

Right. I definitely think that #2 is the reason. I also believe that if they are successful with using XPA with this game, that they will continue it. I truly pray for Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite to be XPA. That would be glory for the player pool just as it is for KI.

I do think that they are going to look at the sales of digital copies of "Xbox platform" RE7 and compare it to the physical sales, and then compare that body with DR4 digital copies for "Xbox One" to see the percentage difference.

Capcom selling more digital copies is better for Capcom and more likely to continue the program. Oh and best believe if Capcom likes it that MS will boast about it, and maybe not publicly but privately to other companies. I think that MS is going to court big 3rd party publishers to get in the program. Though I doubt companies who have their own store on PC will follow suit.

Good, the more XPA titles the better. I hope that more third-parties will jump on XPA.

Right. I definitely think that #2 is the reason. I also believe that if they are successful with using XPA with this game, that they will continue it. I truly pray for Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite to be XPA. That would be glory for the player pool just as it is for KI.

I do think that they are going to look at the sales of digital copies of "Xbox platform" RE7 and compare it to the physical sales, and then compare that body with DR4 digital copies for "Xbox One" to see the percentage difference.

Capcom selling more digital copies is better for Capcom and more likely to continue the program. Oh and best believe if Capcom likes it that MS will boast about it, and maybe not publicly but privately to other companies. I think that MS is going to court big 3rd party publishers to get in the program. Though I doubt companies who have their own store on PC will follow suit.

I hope the XPA sticks in. I travel a lot for work, and having the opportunity to play in the hotel room after a day of work is great.

I doubt every game will be at this point, you could basically just think that if they can get 3rd parties on board that it will just become the norm (hopefully) as to get more games on PC. It becoming the norm is the success for Microsoft, but they have to keep courting 3rd party devs.

MS isn't porting the Xbox OS to Windows...they are making an adaptive shell for it though...Windows Central has an article on it that was released today. So we may get "big picture mode" but it would be akin to tablet mode in Windows 10 now. They are making a shell that adapts to the form factor...It's going to happen over the next major releases (plural) of Windows 10...I believe it will start with Mobile with Redstone 3 in the fall

Well, the goal is crystal clear: They are turning xbox into dedicated windows 10 devices, but every win10 device plugged into a Tv will become an xbox.

With that in mind, it makes sense that they will push that every xbox game going forward will be play anywhere, but if they really want to make a splash they need to do just like what they are doing with 360 BC, acknowledge the purchases their users made and bring everything together under the same platform.

Bold prediction: Until the year's end we will see more of that, more titles supporting play anywhere and PC only games making into the xbox (Like Age of Empires II HD), with more unification each year, and until the end of xbone life we will have all their games playable through the store.

see5harp

Really happy to see this a thing. I knew that first party games would basically be an automatic buy if it was something I was interested in, but I was really waiting on third party support. For a single player game like RE it makes less sense than something like Forza, but I still see it as a value add, particularly if you still have a group of friends who play on xbox.

Zedox

Well, the goal is crystal clear: They are turning xbox into dedicated windows 10 devices, but every win10 device plugged into a Tv will become an xbox.

With that in mind, it makes sense that they will push that every xbox game going forward will be play anywhere, but if they really want to make a splash they need to do just like what they are doing with 360 BC, acknowledge the purchases their users made and bring everything together under the same platform.

Bold prediction: Until the year's end we will see more of that, more titles supporting play anywhere and PC only games making into the xbox (Like Age of Empires II HD), with more unification each year, and until the end of xbone life we will have all their games playable through the store.

I agree. I don't think your prediction is bold as this has been Microsoft's vision for all of their software for a while now. Everything under One platform, One store, One Dev environment, spread across different devices. To me it's a cool vision, and exciting to see (outside of just gaming). I definitely see Microsoft E3 announcements will be Play Anywhere titles for 3rd parties, Scorpio, and their first party showings, and some more hints of platform enhancements. I don't think we'll see so many exclusive titles as people want, I feel that MS is really just building their platform out little by little while keeping their core users happy and give them reasons to not leave.

I have zero interest in horror games but pretty cool to see the first third party play anywhere game, I really hope this catches on. I own FH3 and GOW4 digitally, haven't really played them at all on my PC but I feel nice knowing I could, especially if saves carry over.

In the future I think this will be more and more useful as UWP/W10 fix all the issues they have, scorpio makes the power gap between my PC and console less, and VR becomes more fun.

Its too bad in this case I feel like the PS4 version is the "definitive" version due to VR support, but big props to both Microsoft and Capcom for doing this.

So, I'm assuming the Windows store version will be the same price as the steam version? (£39.99)
So if I buy the Windows store version, I also get the Xbox One version for the same price??!!
Is that right, or am I missing something? lol

cakely

Will the MS Store version of RE support VR in the future?

If that's the case, I'll buy this version.

I'm going to guess that VR won't be in the cards for the Windows Store version of REVII for a very long time.

VR mode is exclusive to the PSVR for one year, so, I assume the Steam version will get a VR update n one year.

I have no idea what the Windows Store / UWP solution for VR will even be, but I'm guessing it might be Occulus Rift. Nothing has been announced.

MarveI

I'm getting it now to support Capcoms decision.

I don't understand why 3rd parties don't do play anywhere on every game. I mean let's face it the people who will buy it and play on W10 is soooo marginal it won't make any meaningful difference.And the people who buy it on Steam will buy it there and will rarely if ever buy it on xbox too. But on the flipside more people who own an X1 would consider buying your game with this addition. It's a win-win situation imo. It just baffles me when devs don't go with play anywhere.

opricnik

Banned

I don't understand why 3rd parties don't do play anywhere on every game. I mean let's face it the people who will buy it and play on W10 is soooo marginal it won't make any meaningful difference.And the people who buy it on Steam will buy it there and will rarely if ever buy it on xbox too. But on the flipside more people who own an X1 would consider buying your game with this addition. It's a win-win situation imo. It just baffles me when devs don't go with play anywhere.

Its simple. When you release game on steam and w10 same time , what will happen if steam made sale to game? They have to make sale for w10 too which includes xbox one too. They will never make digital xbox sales good as steam so this wont be a reality ever

Trup1aya

Yeah it's really win-win. The only concern is the loss of a double dip sale, but that's a rare occurance anyway. The guaruntee of a digital sale is most likely a better proposition, and in console stores games maintain their MSRP for longer.

But like anything else, publishers want to test the market first.

Gestault

It's probably worth pointing out that 6 out of the 7 Play Anywhere titles I've purchased have had totally solid PC versions. Even the 7th was ok but with annoying unavoidable performance hitch.

Yes, this is in response to comments that "[X game] was a bad port, so all games on the PC must be bad for Play Anywhere."

Synth

Its simple. When you release game on steam and w10 same time , what will happen if steam made sale to game? They have to make sale for w10 too which includes xbox one too. They will never make digital xbox sales good as steam so this wont be a reality ever

No they don't. When a game goes on sale on Steam (or plenty of other storefronts on PC), that doesn't mean the game has to be discounted on all the others... This already isn't the case for plenty of non-XPA games that exist on both store (such as Rise of the Tomb Raider), so why would it suddenly be the case with the Xbox One added?

And even then, it's not uncommon for games to get discounted across Steam and the consoles at the same time.

I'm going to guess that VR won't be in the cards for the Windows Store version of REVII for a very long time.

VR mode is exclusive to the PSVR for one year, so, I assume the Steam version will get a VR update n one year.

I have no idea what the Windows Store / UWP solution for VR will even be, but I'm guessing it might be Occulus Rift. Nothing has been announced.

I think it depends a lot on MS; clearly, third-party UWP support probably isn't gonna take care of this on its own (maybe those budget OEM headsets they talked about a while ago?), but if they develop some clever bit of middleware to allow VR headsets to process UWA like Win32 with minimal cost/effort, that'd solve it nicely.

amardilo

After hearing the news about Play Anywhere support I bought it on Xbox One but when trying to install it on my PC it says needs to be installed on a system drive.

I install my Windows 10 app and Steam games on my D drive (SSD) or my E drive (5400 HDD). I don't have that much room on my C drive and I'd rather not install it there.

Is there a way around this?

It's good to see a big 3rd party game to take advantage of the new Microsoft initiative. I know UWP has a bad reputation in the Gaming side, but I can't help but wonder what's going to happen when the Xbox platform (Scorpio maybe?) inevitably transitions to the new programming paradigm for Windows development. Would this kind of porting become trivial enough for anyone interested to expand their potential market to the Windows Store without much code changing?

As for the game, it really depends on how it performs in this version, as the Steam one seems great in that aspect. And I believe the Microsoft Holographic platform could make VR possible after the PS exclusivity deal expires. The ball would be in Capcom's court.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You think. I dunno. Imagine if GTAV was play anywhere. It seems like lost sales to me. I get people most likely buy with the intention of playing on one platform and it's a bonus but people do move around and don't always stick to one platform for that whole time so buying another copy still happens.

I doubt it happens much at all given the saves aren't cross compatible. That's the beauty of PA. It's cross save and achievements carry.

Double dippers would be the tiniest of the tiny of the microscopic in number. Engagement in your micro transaction heavy (in most cases) game is far more important than 12 double dippers worldwide.

For what it's worth, the Windows Store version of Minecraft supports the Oculus Rift.

Head.spawn

After hearing the news about Play Anywhere support I bought it on Xbox One but when trying to install it on my PC it says needs to be installed on a system drive.

I install my Windows 10 app and Steam games on my D drive (SSD) or my E drive (5400 HDD). I don't have that much room on my C drive and I'd rather not install it there.

Is there a way around this?

Go to:
>Settings
>Storage
>Then change the selected drive on the dropdown labeled "New Apps will Save To:"

Additionally you can also easily move games and apps after the fact in the Settings > Apps & Features - menu.

Gren

Actually, Capcom has the least to gain out of this (unless MS cut them a deal). Unlike indie games, RE is well-known enough that it doesn't need to incentivize sales. And if one had no interest in buying 7 before, offering them an extra copy isn't going to do much to persuade them. This benefits MS the most in swaying buyers already on-board to their version(s) instead.

That's why this is such big news; the gains to 3rd parties have been so miniscule that none have ever done it for their AAA titles before.

MarveI

Actually, Capcom has the least to gain out of this (unless MS cut them a deal). Unlike indie games, RE is well-known enough that it doesn't need to incentivize sales. And if one had no interest in buying 7 before, offering them an extra copy isn't going to do much to persuade them. This benefits MS the most in swaying buyers already on-board to their version(s) instead.

That's why this is such big news; the gains to 3rd parties have been so miniscule that none have ever done it for their AAA titles before.

Capcom might not have much to gain from this but they also don't have much to lose from this. Wouldn't you agree ?

I don't understand why every dev doesn't go with play anywhere because the positives outweigh the negatives. You're not going to lose out on extra sales with this. The people (like me) who get this game because of PA I bet is more than the people who don't buy your game AT ALL because of PA. Yes MS benefits most from this, obviously, but I think it's not as risky for devs as they think it is.In fact I'd even wager that it's a more positive incentive for people, again like me, who are on the fence to bite the bullet with this.

Gren

Capcom might not have much to gain from this but they also don't have much to lose from this. Wouldn't you agree ?

I don't understand why every dev doesn't go with play anywhere because the positives outweigh the negatives. You're not going to lose out on extra sales with this. The people (like me) who get this game because of PA I bet is more than the people who don't buy your game AT ALL because of PA. Yes MS benefits most from this, obviously, but I think it's not as risky for devs as they think it is.In fact I'd even wager that it's a more positive incentive for people, again like me, who are on the fence to bite the bullet with this.
That depends on how much it costs them to make/support the UWP version. I'm not a game dev, but I'd be willing to bet it's not a completely negligible amount. Otherwise we'd have seen more non-assisted titles on the store by now beyond this and the last COD.

amardilo

Go to:
>Settings
>Storage
>Then change the selected drive on the dropdown labeled "New Apps will Save To:"

Additionally you can also easily move games and apps after the fact in the Settings > Apps & Features - menu.

That's the thing. I already did that. My Windows 10 apps/games (such as Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3) already save to my secondary drive (D) but RE7 seems to only want to save to C for some odd reason and I can't seem to force it to install on D.

Lazaro

That depends on how much it costs them to make/support the UWP version. I'm not a game dev, but I'd be willing to bet it's not a completely negligible amount. Otherwise we'd have seen more non-assisted titles on the store by now beyond this and the last COD.

I think recent Xbox games starting from Recore use the new UWP format which is supposed to be easy to port to and from other Win10 devices including Xbox.

I'm not sure how much it costs to maintain a UWP app but I'd bet its no different than Mac App Store ports. Funnily enough the Mac App Store has a bigger AAA/indie range of games than the Windows Store, it's range is on par with Steam OSX ports.

EDIT: Also Direct store link to Win 10 version: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/store/p/resident-evil-7-biohazard/9nblggh4spk6
EDIT 2: There are also mobile screenshots of the game for some weird reason on the store page, they're just Xbox/PC screenshots cropped for portrait by the looks of it. 

Gestault

That's the thing. I already did that. My Windows 10 apps/games (such as Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3) already save to my secondary drive (D) but RE7 seems to only want to save to C for some odd reason and I can't seem to force it to install on D.

Assuming the install completed in the wrong place, are you able to move it using the Programs/Apps page as a workaround, or is that acting like it's locked down?

amardilo

Assuming the install completed in the wrong place, are you able to move it using the Programs/Apps page as a workaround, or is that acting like it's locked down?

For some reason it's now allowing me to pick the drive I want to install it onto... No idea what has changed in the space of a few days.

Top Bottom