• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

GymWolf

He''s different.

But Alcina was different as well. As seen in the trailers so no spoiler really, she didn't give a shit about the ceremony and just wanted to curb stomp Ethan and eat him. The other 2 yeah, they're kind of pathetic.
Not giving a shit about the ceremony doens't really make her more deep or interesting tbh, especially when all of that has zero conseguences, all the boss try to kill you so it's not like the others care that much about the ceremony.
Her character is 95% appeareance and 5% substance.

I expect a couple of dlc for these characters because right now even the fucking giant snake in re1 has more going on compared to them...

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Not giving a shit about the ceremony doens't really make her more deep or interesting tbh, especially when all of that has zero conseguences, all the boss try to kill you so it's not like the others care that much about the ceremony.
Her character is 95% appeareance and 5% substance.

I expect a couple of dlc for these characters because right now even the fucking giant snake in re1 has more going on compared to them...

I guess they could do DLC about the 3 sisters, how they came to be. The maiden demo was a huge bunch of nothing but showed that she captured and feasted on castle personell.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I guess they could do DLC about the 3 sisters, how they came to be. The maiden demo was a huge bunch of nothing but showed that she captured and feasted on castle personell.
Heard leaked reports that upcoming dlc will be playing as

Ada Wong in black robes

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Near the end now, but honestly when
Ethan died and it switched to Chris I was hoping it'll would switch to 3rd person and go classic RE, instead I got Call of Duty 😕
Very disappointing, all good though just a missed opportunity I think fans would have loved.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Ethan died and it switched to Chris I was hoping it'll would switch to 3rd person and go classic RE, instead I got Call of Duty 😕
Very disappointing, all good though just a missed opportunity I think fans would have loved.
Why'd you have to say that? Now I want that. Haha

GymWolf

There is already a files about the creation of the sisters, i want something about the huge bitch :lollipop_squinting:

GymWolf

Here are some of the actors/models who the characters were modeled after.

>Lisa Goodwin as Bela
>Anja Voskrenska as Miranda

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Fuck there is a huge spoiler in this one for people who didn't finished the game, stay away people.

Shakka43

It was too short of a segment for Capcom to add a whole different gameplay style I think.

SkylineRKR

Now playing Separate Ways. Always loved it, even back on PS2 despite that entire version being neutered. For free content, its pretty damn meaty. Would've easily been sold for like 15-20 bucks today. Didn't know it was cleaned up for the PS4 edition, last time I played it, this content looked like hot mess on PS3. Bar the cutscenes (They're not in-game) it looks like the base game now. I love how it answers stuff like who rang the bell? Why is there a lousy treasure into the insignia device?

I would like some DLC for Village, but can't say Not a Hero was all that great (it was free though). End of Zoe was kind of ridiculous but fun I guess.

SJRB

Gold Member

giphy.gif

Fuckin' hell

fart town usa

Gold Member
So, how about Heisenberg's Factory huh?
Atmosphere much? Just Amazing! Reminded me of Tetsuo: Iron man movie.
I loved the factory. Some reviews had me nervous, acting like the game just completely goes off the rails. I mean, I guess it does in a way but RE has been going off the rails since CVX. I thought the factory was great, the boss fight was super satisfying and then the COD part was awesome too. People acting like it's a huge segment, it's like 45 minutes at most, probably shorter and it makes sense and is super satisfying at that point in the game.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I loved the factory. Some reviews had me nervous, acting like the game just completely goes off the rails. I mean, I guess it does in a way but RE has been going off the rails since CVX. I thought the factory was great, the boss fight was super satisfying and then the COD part was awesome too. People acting like it's a huge segment, it's like 45 minutes at most, probably shorter and it makes sense and is super satisfying at that point in the game.

My man.

Didn't read any review. Read some posts here mentioning some gun blazing segment though. I just arrived at the CoD part I reckon so I'll know more about that later. Said that, the factory segment is just fucking awesomely designed aesthetically speaking. Especially seeing as said environment speaks greatly to me regarding my personal emotional reaction to it. I had the same with the abandoned factory set at the end of Robocop. Going back to when I was merely 7 or 8 years old. It just speaks to me in a horror sense. A welcome surprise indeed...

Ok, back to my team in this dark af forest.. I'm curious!

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I had absolutely no idea what was going on in that story. Granted I didn't complete RE7 and I didn't pay a lick of attention to the cutscenes in RE8. Just give me the dread-soaked atmosphere and I'll do the rest myself.

cucuchu

Just started this last night on Hardcore and couldn't stop playing (Series X). I love how the RE games are able to take something fairly played out, such as lycans and vampires, and make them interesting. In particular, the vampire daughters
are not human at all but actually swarms of mutated blowflies
is a really unique and intriguing take on vampires (IMO). I find myself going back into rooms to explore and find everything, actually looking at all the pictures, reading all the notes, etc just completely immersed in the world. That is one thing this game and RE7 have both done very well is world-building. These locations feel real and every room, every object seems to have its reason and purpose. I guess I probably hold a high level of value in this aspect hence why I'm enjoying the game so much.

The only area I have had trouble with is the first major boss fight with
lady d
. I was able to drag the fight out to the end a few times but every time ran out of ammo so I reloaded a recent save near the Duke and upgraded my shotgun/sniper rifle power rating before my controller died so I just decided to call it there for the night. Also going to turn off aim acceleration after reading this thread..that's probably what is accounting for a lot of my missed shots.

I'll probably end up staying up all night tonight trying to finish the game regardless of work tomorrow because it is just that damn good and one of the rare times a game has really held my attention like this.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Wow, after watching Digital Foundry's PC port review, i think i'll wait a few patches. CaPCom at it again...
It's not a port, and I had zero problems, ran perfect from start to finish; entire playthrough here if you don't believe me:

Edit: it's also rated overwhelmingly positive on steam with 19k reviews; steam reviews are quick to be negative if there were widespread technical issues.

Last edited:
I still have no idea how Capcom is unable to come up with any iconic characters in Resident Evil anymore. I do wonder if Rose in timeskip will lead to somewhere in the future of the franchise (and Capcom has now all the chances to move RE forward due to new generation of gamers). Otherwise they will forever stuck with Leon, "boulder-punching asshole", Jill, Ada and Claire.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

I still have no idea how Capcom is unable to come up with any iconic characters in Resident Evil anymore. I do wonder if Rose in timeskip will lead to somewhere in the future of the franchise (and Capcom has now all the chances to move RE forward due to new generation of gamers). Otherwise they will forever stuck with Leon, "boulder-punching asshole", Jill, Ada and Claire.

In the horror genre the protagonist characters don't matter, no one remembers the good guys.

Horror is all about the antagonists - the villains. Freddie Kruger, Jason, Dracula, Frankenstein, and yes, Lady Dimitrescu.

In the horror genre the protagonist characters don't matter, no one remembers the good guys.
The funny thing that in RE it is vice versa, though RE is not a true horror game (in RE7 they made an attempt though and in RE8 I think episode with that puppet master boss was the a decent attemp too). I doubt it ever was a horror game or maybe my expectations from the horror games are/were different.

Wesker aside I don't remember any iconic villains in RE. At all. In RE I think the main lifeline is viruses and corporations basically. Can they be technically considered bosses?

Last edited:

GymWolf

The funny thing that in RE it is vice versa, though RE is not a true horror game (in RE7 they made an attempt though and in RE8 I think episode with that puppet master boss was the a decent attemp too). I doubt it ever was a horror game or maybe my expectations from the horror games are/were different.

Wesker aside I don't remember any iconic villains in RE. At all. In RE I think the main lifeline is viruses and corporations basically.
I only remember william birkin because his transformation cutscene was cool.

It was too short of a segment for Capcom to add a whole different gameplay style I think.
Chris supposed to be a death machine though. The boulder punching asshole.

I only remember william birkin because his transformation cutscene was cool.
Now that you mentioned. Mr X / Nemesis is technically an iconic boss, but still it all boils down to the first 4 games basically.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

The first games would really be the zombies, the zombie trope is a bit different from the slasher trope as they are an indentikit multitude.

Resi 4 had a kind of 'star' zombie as the chainsaw guy with the sack on his head.

MarkyG

It's not a port, and I had zero problems, ran perfect from start to finish; entire playthrough here if you don't believe me:

Edit: it's also rated overwhelmingly positive on steam with 19k reviews; steam reviews are quick to be negative if there were widespread technical issues.

Whether it's a port or not is irrelevant. The game has issues. Something as simple as not having full mouse UI control is pretty shoddy in this day and age. There's also performance issues. With and without raytracing enabled. Just because you had no issues, doesn't mean others aren't.

I love the game to death but it needs a few patches to iron out the more severe performance issues people are having.

TGO

Finally finished it
it was such a relief, the story is done Chris mentions going after the BSAA in Europe?
This sounds familiar 🤔
But shit the next RE is gonna be with Chris?
Maybe they'll actually make a new RE in the style of RE2make now Ethan story is over??
I was so excited...
Then the credits ends and says "The Father's Story is done.."
Wait.. what's this??
Then the after credit scene..
tenor.gif

Better then RE7, probably give it an 8/10

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Whether it's a port or not is irrelevant.
It's very relevant, because the word port itself has negative connotations, RE8 and the rest of capcom's in-house development for the past 16 years have not been ports.
Just because you had no issues, doesn't mean others aren't.
Again, almost 20k reviews on steam and 95% of them are positive; when a game has actual widespread issues on pc, steam reviews are VERY QUICK to reflect that, they don't here.
It sucks if you have issues, but in this case you'd be an outlier/minority and thus saying the game needs patches is just disingenuous. Cyberpunk needed patches, Arkham knight needed patches, RE8 doesn't.

SantaC

Ending spoilers. I am confused

so if ethan was killed by jack baker and become regenetive body, how come he was able to put toghether his hand in re7, because wasnt that before jack killed him?

Last edited:

Halcyon

What's the point of the ceremony. Why make rose into 4 jars of goo when those jars just open a door to the factory and Miranda just makes her a baby again at the end. Why does there need to be a ceremony.

What is the point of Chris not telling Ethan why he's stealing his daughter.

If Ethan has been dead this whole time is this kind of a silent hill scenario or is Ethan active in the real world and somehow procreated with Mia which caused the special baby powers.

Astral Dog

I was very worried too, but then, despite being dreaded CoD, narrative wise i feel like that short segment helped complete Ethan's story
There is a lot of iconic characters in recent resident evil games, Jack, Marguerite, Alex, Lady Dimitrescu Heisenberg, Donna and others on VILLAGE. Hell zombie Mia and Zoe were popular too i bet.

its much better than RE6, REvelations and others

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I was very worried too, but then, despite being dreaded CoD, narrative wise i feel like that short segment helped complete Ethan's story

There is a lot of iconic characters in recent resident evil games, Jack, Marguerite, Alex, Lady Dimitrescu and others on VILLAGE. Hell zombie Mia and Zoe were popular too i bet.

its much better than RE6, REvelations and others
It’s the best non-remake RE since 4.

Astral Dog

Finally finished it
it was such a relief, the story is done Chris mentions going after the BSAA in Europe?
This sounds familiar 🤔
But shit the next RE is gonna be with Chris?
Maybe they'll actually make a new RE in the style of RE2make now Ethan story is over??
I was so excited...
Then the credits ends and says "The Father's Story is done.."
Wait.. what's this??
Then the after credit scene..
tenor.gif

Better then RE7, probably give it an 8/10
IKR
i was sure they were going for that after VILLAGE, a third person game like REmake 2 but it appears like Capcom really wants to finish the WINTERS trilogy 😁its gonna be amazing, and sure we will continue to get third person games as well like what happened after 7 i bet the rumored RE for Switch is based off REmake2

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
What's the point of the ceremony. Why make rose into 4 jars of goo when those jars just open a door to the factory and Miranda just makes her a baby again at the end. Why does there need to be a ceremony.

What is the point of Chris not telling Ethan why he's stealing his daughter.

If Ethan has been dead this whole time is this kind of a silent hill scenario or is Ethan active in the real world and somehow procreated with Mia which caused the special baby powers.

The megamycete absorbs and breaks down the consciousness of anyone it touched, Eva's is/was part of it. Miranda's research was to restore Eva, but she never found a fit vessel, until Rose; she needed to be broken apart in order to "absorb" Eva. Whether it worked we don't know yet.

I guess chris felt like he didn't have the time, but after ethan "dies", he agrees he should've told him.

The mold basically brought ethan's consciousness back into a fake body.

Astral Dog

The megamycete absorbs and breaks down the consciousness of anyone it touched, Eva's is/was part of it. Miranda's research was to restore Eva, but she never found a fit vessel, until Rose; she needed to be broken apart in order to "absorb" Eva. Whether it worked we don't know yet.

I guess chris felt like he didn't have the time, but after ethan "dies", he agrees he should've told him.

The mold basically brought ethan's consciousness back into a fake body.

[/SPOILER]
i think the implication was that Rose absorbed Eveline and not Eva, as far as i know Eva didn't had special powers like Eveline 🤔 and Miranda said Rose is Evelines true form, not Eva's she wanted Eva with Evelines power to control the world

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
i think the implication was that Rose absorbed Eveline and not Eva, as far as i know Eva didn't had special powers like Eveline 🤔 and Miranda said Rose is Evelines true form, not Eva's she wanted Eva with Evelines power to control the world
Nah, what she meant was that eveline was also a failed vessel, but rose isn't; she's the "true" eveline she tried making with the connections.
As for the powers, Miranda said her powers were fading after the ceremony, probably because rosemary is the most compatible with the megamycete now.

Halcyon

oh my other question if what is fake mia always whining about on the phone and during some of the hallucinations. What is the purpose of Miranda talking about not wanting to lose Ethan and all that stuff. Like does she feel remorse for some reason or is she trying to sway Ethan to do something. Those parts of the game don't make sense to me.

TGO

IKR
i was sure they were going for that after VILLAGE, a third person game like REmake 2 but it appears like Capcom really wants to finish the WINTERS trilogy 😁its gonna be amazing, and sure we will continue to get third person games as well like what happened after 7 i bet the rumored RE for Switch is based off REmake2
I'm thinking more a quadrilogy, hence my reaction
I'm just hoping they don't go the Eve with powers route and the game turns Into the Darkness

Last edited:

tommib

So, how about Heisenberg's Factory huh?
Atmosphere much? Just Amazing! Reminded me of Tetsuo: Iron man movie.
I didn’t like the game, at all, but I’m sure I’m in the minority thinking the last stretch with the factory and
Chris
was the best part. If you’re going over the top and camp just embrace it.

SCB3

Ending spoilers. I am confused

so if ethan was killed by jack baker and become regenetive body, how come he was able to put toghether his hand in re7, because wasnt that before jack killed him?
So Jack Kills Ethan in the guest house by stamping on his head, at that point Mia cut of Ethans hand with a chainsaw, we don't know how long Ethan was in the Bakers house before he "wakes up" at that scene with the Family meal and his hand is stitched back on.

There is also a bathtub upstairs full of mold that was being used to infect others by submersion, its not clear if thats what happened to Ethan.

Pretty much it goes

1. Ethan looks for Mia in Guest House
  2. Finds and frees her from the cell
  3. Ethan "Kills" her with an Axe
  4. Mia goes crazy and cuts off Ethans hand
  5. Ethan Kills Mia again with a Handgun/Knife
  6. Jack "Welcomes him to the Family" and punches him
  7. Jack stamps on Ethans Head, you can hear his skull crack in RE7 as well (I have a theory that the small update that RE7 had a few weeks ago added this and the RE Village ad)
  8. Jack then drags him back to the Baker house

*Stuff happens here infecting Ethan*

9. Zoe stitches Ethans hand back on
  10. Ethan Wakes up
  11. Jack can then show a missable scene showing how the Health works when he chops Ethans leg off

Last edited:
Top Bottom