• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

Barakov

Gold Member
Beat the Dollhouse earlier today. Holy shit I was going to have an anxiety attack for the entire section. So tense and it had those long 90 degree hallways which always make me nervous. Reminded me of the PT demo a bit.

The baby monster didn't really do anything for me, but it was all the build up to that point. Boss 'fight' was a bit anti climactic after the basement section but still good and I'm ready to move on to the next area!

Checked my playtime and I'm at 8 hours lol. A lot of my time has been wasted walking around aimlessly looking for something to progress the game. I got stuck in the Village after beating Lady D because I didn't know where I was supposed to go :(
Imagine playing that in VR. I can actually seeing that giving someone a heart attack.
Scared Dog GIF

That one part is easily scarier than all of RE7. Although the kid's room was pretty good.

Okay currently I've killed the big bitch so you know where I am so click but if you don't "dada" will make sense you you
The game is so much better then RE7 but I just don't understand why they didn't just create a new IP for this?
It good but so far away from Resident Evil it's not funny.
Now I do kept seeing logos about so I'll hold my thoughts until I finish it.
But it still baffling that we know they can make a proper RE game that sell a shit load and have this as well.
Makes no sense 🙄
Anyway rant over..
IUUz5Re.jpg

THEAP99

Banned
So I now have 2/4 you know what collected. And I really wish I hadn't watched so much footage prior to playing cus I haven't gotten scared at all yet. Anyways, I am still enjoying it even if it's not as strong as re7

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I'm playing on Hardcore for the first time. I must have died at least 20 times and I'm not even an hour in yet. These fucking Lycans are TOUGH. I might play on Normal instead. 😔

Ryder

I'm playing on Hardcore for the first time. I must have died at least 20 times and I'm not even an hour in yet. These fucking Lycans are TOUGH. I might play on Normal instead. 😔
The first encounter you have is the toughest on hardcore. You just have to survive long enough until the big enemy comes. It gets easier past the castle section.

GymWolf

Apparently unlike the internet, i am not getting the option to drop the difficulty. Thankfully, the pistol power upgrade feel a bit better on hardcore.

I also have found a shotty blast and switch to pistol ( and maybe even knife) works not bad. Still out of ammo by the end of a multiple enemy encounter.

But this is only two segments of castle goons so far. Wish me luck. I should restart, but I keep living. The dread tho.
We are in the same boat brotha.

GymWolf

Btw last night i finished the second boss, kinda of a shitty boss fight but whatever...

The section with
the giant fetus
was nice, the buildup was scary enough, the creature not so much, i mean, i bet a lot of people was scared as shit but the creature's sounds effects were a bit hilarious for me so it wasn't that bad.

Now it's time beat the anorexic frog dude.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Okay currently I've killed the big bitch so you know where I am so click but if you don't "dada" will make sense you you
The game is so much better then RE7 but I just don't understand why they didn't just create a new IP for this?
But it still baffling that we know they can make a proper RE game that sell a shit load and have this as well.
Makes no sense 🙄
Anyway rant over..

Yeah, there was a lot of fuss around RE7 back in the day, that that's not a RE game at all and they just want to lure gamers with a renown title, the narrative was driven mostly by the change to FPP view, and that's how I personally also feel to this day, for me RE will always be TPP+Zombies+Umbrella, and in the newer installments there's basically none of that, there are some connections to the RE universe and previous installments, but they feel rather forced, replace Chris with someone else and the game would be completely new, separate IP and no one would bat an eye. And as it turned out slapping a popular franchise title on the box didn't help the game at all, it had a rough launch, it was later on thanks to the word of mouth that the game gained serious traction and ultimately did really well, because turned out despite all the title controversy the game was actually pretty damn good, which just further proves it could've been a completely new IP from the start.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think I did that cause you're the type to come in here after playing 1/5th of the game to cry about how "this aint my Resident Evil! Why can't it be a separate game the story makes no sense!!!"

Prefer being a prick instead of nice to that type, oh well
Never said the story make no sense, I said
we know they can make a proper RE game that sell a shit load and have this as well.
Makes no sense.
Saying the game is different & good enough to stand on its own without the RE name is not crying about the story not making sense.
I mentioned the Umbrella symbols everywhere, I got the general gist where the story is going.
and there is nothing wrong with it
Sounds like you REEEE'D as soon as you saw something sounded bad about your game without reading it properly.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Needlecrash

The first encounter you have is the toughest on hardcore. You just have to survive long enough until the big enemy comes. It gets easier past the castle section.
I finally finished that part. WHEW!

These Lycans...these muhfuckas are no joke. Gone are the days of mindless zombies, combative Las Plagas people, C-virus soldiers and the fast and slow molded. OH NO.

WE GOT FUCKING WEREWOLVES ON HORSES AND THEY HUNT IN PACKS AND THESE BITCHES ARE STRONG TOO?!?!

I'M IN. 😎

Astral Dog

He's not in the epilogue though? During the events of the game Chris is ~47, Rosemary seems to be 16+ in the epilogue, which would make Chris 63+
its possible that she could age faster like Eveline too she was what 3 years in RE7 but not as drastic of course

Shakka43

I finally finished that part. WHEW!

These Lycans...these muhfuckas are no joke. Gone are the days of mindless zombies, combative Las Plagas people, C-virus soldiers and the fast and slow molded. OH NO.

WE GOT FUCKING WEREWOLVES ON HORSES AND THEY HUNT IN PACKS AND THESE BITCHES ARE STRONG TOO?!?!

I'M IN. 😎
The game will be relatively easy from now on, up until you reach the last quarter of the story that is.

I honestly feel that the developers at Capcom played Half Life Alyx last year and some of that influenced the rest of the game.

I am on my third playthrough now and it reminds me of Alyx more and more as I play it.

The last year gave us Doom Eternal, Half Life Alyx and Resident Evil Village. What an amazing year for FPS single player focused games.

Last edited:

Excess

Makes no sense 🙄
Anyway rant over..
I've been saying the same thing about RE since RE4, so don't even get me started. This video sums up my thoughts:

BUT, I've learned to accept it. In an ironic twist, Resident Evil probably wouldn't be around today if they didn't completely keep the series fresh, whether that's through changing the locations, the characters, the lore, the creative liberties, the gameplay, etc. Resident Evil is now just a franchise about defining survival horror. Yes, I'd like the original lore to resurface, but hey, can't beat a dead horse to death.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
So after finishing it on the PS5 I'm playing it again on the XSX (yes, I bought it again I absolutely LOVE this game).

And

The XSX version, aside from having very short load screens in spots where there weren't any in the PS5 version...is the better of the two. I noticed some annoying framerate dips in the reservoir area on the PS5 and the XSX version seems a lot more stable. The audio, sending it uncompressed out of the XSX to the receiver, is also better.

swaffles23

Finished the story last night. Loved the game overall. I didn't like the Heisenberg boss fight and a couple other things

Time to start chipping away at the platinum. Getting PTSD from my Madhouse RE7 playthrough

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
its possible that she could age faster like Eveline too she was what 3 years in RE7 but not as drastic of course
Of course, Eveline also only aged as fast because she didn't have access to her meds after she attacked/crashed/escaped the ship, and because she was engineered to mature rapidly; the explanation could be that Rosemary matured fast up to a certain age and now ages normally or is immortal, or that blue umbrella is supplying her with meds to stop the aging now.

GymWolf

Where is the guy who told me that you have shitload of ammo after boss number 2?!

Because yeah you don't use guns but neither find ammo for them...

I'm still using my damn knife :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

TGO

Resident Evil probably wouldn't be around today if they didn't completely keep the series fresh, whether that's through changing the locations, the characters, the lore, the creative liberties, the gameplay, etc.
Ironic as retuning to the original formula is the breath of fresh air it needed and the change up is what got stale fast after RE4
With RE we just have two different types now.
The RE4 like FPS type that leans heavy into more crazy supernatural stuff.
And RE2remake type thats more of a modern take of the original formula to it's core.
Both have the RE foundations
Both very are different in the way the play.
And both have very different worlds & lure Frankensteined together so they can share the same name.
Resident Evil is like The Fast and the Furious series 😂

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Where is the guy who told me that you have shitload of ammo after boss number 2?!

Because yeah you don't use guns but neither find ammo for them...

I'm still using my damn knife :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Guess it depends on your difficulty setting, but I had a ton of ammo after the second boss, only to use it all on the first hidden boss right after.

Never said the story make no sense, I said

Saying the game is different & good enough to stand on its own without the RE name is not crying about the story not making sense.
I mentioned the Umbrella symbols everywhere, I got the general gist where the story is going.
and there is nothing wrong with it
Sounds like you REEEE'D as soon as you saw something sounded bad about your game without reading it properly.
tenor.gif
Imagine still going on in defense of you coming in here crying about the game after playing 1/5th of it?

Man these graphics really are mind blowing. Objectively the best looking PS5 game by a country mile.
We get it. You're upset sane people we're having none of this horrible opinion the first time u said it. So now you're trying to be sarcastically passive aggressive. Its not our fault u have absolutely no clue what you're talking about in regards to the graphics, sorry

I had this exact issue, but I'm a pussy and just restarted and played on normal. Game feels WAAAYYYY too easy on Normal, but was getting annoyed at the opening Lycan section for being such a ball buster.

Maybe I'll just save hard for an NG+ run.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've been saying the same thing about RE since RE4, so don't even get me started. This video sums up my thoughts:

BUT, I've learned to accept it. In an ironic twist, Resident Evil probably wouldn't be around today if they didn't completely keep the series fresh, whether that's through changing the locations, the characters, the lore, the creative liberties, the gameplay, etc. Resident Evil is now just a franchise about defining survival horror. Yes, I'd like the original lore to resurface, but hey, can't beat a dead horse to death.

I agree but RE8 did do a pretty good job of including the lore of the original 96 game. It's all retconned and just adds to the overall confusion but it's nice that they did it at all.

In case you're not tracking,
Oswell E. Spencer, the founder of Umbrella was a student of Miranda when he stumbled on the village in his youth. It was her teachings that inspired him to found Umbrella and begin research on the creation of the T-Virus. The game also has a book in Ethan's house about European Architecture that was written by George Trevor, he's the one who built the Spencer Mansion from the first game.

For me, a good RE game is one that involves item management, exploration, puzzles, and scares of course. The story lost me back when Code Veronica released. I stopped caring really and am just along for the ride. I will say that Village really surprised me in terms of narrative, it's not super cohesive but I thought it was delivered in a compelling way. I also found myself liking Chris for the first time since CV.

One thing that is interesting to think about regarding the death of classic RE prior to RE4 is that fixed camera angles might have been around longer if REmake had been released on PS2 and not the GCN as an exclusive. More people would have played it and it possibly could have lead to Capcom sticking with fixed camera angles for longer.

TGO

Imagine still going on in defense of you coming in here crying about the game after playing 1/5th of it?
Imagine jumping on someone's comments on their play through in the OT just because you've completed it.
can't you just wait for me to return after I finished and say "DogsAndKisses666, you was absolutely right!"
You know most people comment on a game when playing it, it's pretty common in OT's
Maybe you should make Spoiler Discussion OT 👍
And I'm 7 hours into the game, a little more then 1/5 🙄
But none of that matters, even I completed it you'd still be saying the same stuff, because it's the best game you've played this year.
probably second best imo
I agree about the graphics though..

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
What do y'all think of the "shadow" difficulty?
Is there a way to play it with New Game plus?
Yea, once you finish the game, all the upgrades and recipe buffs carry over when you load the 'completed' save file and start a new game. Actually, your whole inventory carries over. VOS kind of sounds like it's designed to be played with upgraded weapons, etc.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Finished it last night. Spoiler free impressions. This is probably my favorite RE ever. Even better than the RE2MAKE. It's weird because I was very lukewarm on the game based on what they had shown, but the level design and combat is actually way better than the trailers suggested. I really liked the shooting in this game despite the tanky controls. I think RE7's shooting wasn't well received because the enemy design was so boring. Here the enemies are fun to fight. Headshots feel great. The variety of enemies is also pretty amazing especially in the latter sections.

The setpieces and boss fights in this game were far better than any previous RE. Not all of them were A+, but they were all visually spectacular. I LOVE the fact that I beat the campaign in 10 hours. It felt much longer than that. I wont even lie. I thought this felt meatier than the 30 hour campaigns of TLOU, GoW, GoT and Days Gone. Little to no bloat. No walking sections. No riding from one place to another. No backtracking. Everything felt tightly crafted. Quality over quantity. I hope Sony devs other than Insomniac embrace this.

There is a reason why Capcom has put out 4 big AAA games in the last 5 years. Their games arent 30 hours long. Yes, RE3 was a bit too short, but RE2, RE7 and RE8 are the perfect length. They are so good that you want to replay them right away. That's where the value should come from. There is absolutely no reason why linear games should be 30 hours long and open world games need to be 50 hours long. This is why Days Gone took 7 years to make. Why a horizon sequel is taking 5 years. Why GoW took 5 years and why GoT took 6 years. And why Zelda BOTW took 6 years and its sequel is set to take 5 more years. It's just ridiculous.

GymWolf

Every time i read someone enjoying the combat on this game i have the doubt that i'm playing a completely different game tbh :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Imagine jumping on someone's comments on their play through in the OT just because you've completed it.
can't you just wait for me to return after I finished and say "DogsAndKisses666, you was absolutely right!"
You know most people comment on a game when playing it, it's pretty common in OT's
Maybe you should make Spoiler Discussion OT 👍
And I'm 7 hours into the game, a little more then 1/5 🙄
But none of that matters, even I completed it you'd still be saying the same stuff, because it's the best game you've played this year.
probably second best imo
I agree about the graphics though..
Yeah, imagine me, thinking you're a clown coming in here judging the game after 1/5 of it (especially having finished and knowing how it makes u sound even dumber) and thinking you're a clown writing paragraphs in defense of it. So crazy of me

• LOL
Reactions: TGO
Top Bottom