• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I just got out of the castle. I've got some chicken and fish. I read online that I give them to the duke and he can cook shit? I tried that but there is no cooking menu?

Fret Runner

so the Rocket Pistol is a Gag reward, right? 500 damage, can't upgrade it at all and needs special ammo. Am I missing some hidden effect this gun has or is it a glorified fire cracker launcher? Give me back my damn points! :messenger_hushed: though, seeing Lady D react like "did you really just shot a firework at me?" was pretty funny.

Probably my fave Resi since 4 and I wasn't expecting much since I really disliked 7.

Excess

Don't sell that shit. I sold the first batch of meat. There is a limited supply.
This kind of stuff irks me. I'm like one fish short of a recipe I need, and I'm worried there won't be anymore at some point.

Also, I have a treasure map of a treasure in Castle Dimestrecu's dungeon, but I've learned that there's no way back in. Seriously?! Why?!

MarkyG

This kind of stuff irks me. I'm like one fish short of a recipe I need, and I'm worried there won't be anymore at some point.

Also, I have a treasure map of a treasure in Castle Dimestrecu's dungeon, but I've learned that there's no way back in. Seriously?! Why?!
Without spoiling it for you and others... I will say this... you might want to take a boat ride. ;)

Excess

Without spoiling it for you and others... I will say this... you might want to take a boat ride. ;)
I got that treasure already.

I seem to have a map for something in the dungeon, or did I already get it... Now I'm confused.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I got that treasure already.

I seem to have a map for something in the dungeon, or did I already get it... Now I'm confused.
The recipe buffs carry over to new game + so don't sweat it too much. I missed out on some fish too and wasn't able to complete 2 of the recipes. Getting them on a new playthrough.

Some thematically thoughts on the ending...let’s discuss!

Anyone else realize the entire plot of the game happened because of the Spanish Flu? Leading to the discovery of the metamycene and use to bring back a daughter who died during that pandemic. Sure hits home during these times and is clearly not just coincidental. That story book at the end was intense that went through the Spanish Flu and then to the use of the Cadou.

Last edited:

K' Dash

if you are out of the castle it might be too late for that i think

you can't go back to explore? they should tell you that! I left the castle and I had to clear the garden :(

I'm at the Beneviento state now, I'm not leaving this bitch until everything is blue.

Excess

if you are out of the castle it might be too late for that i think
Dummy me, I think I got it. I was confusing the Dungeon for that room where m'Lady chases you around. The "other" treasure, that MarkyG MarkyG mentioned, I was under the impression that that was the way back in. And even though I did get the treasure there, I was still confused. All good now..

The recipe buffs carry over to new game + so don't sweat it too much. I missed out on some fish too and wasn't able to complete 2 of the recipes. Getting them on a new playthrough.
I'm at the part where I've entered Heisenberg Land. The lines were long, but worth the wait. :)

I already got the obvious fish by the castle entrance, and I also got the gold fish in secret river passage. Hopefully Heisenberg got some fish?

Edit: Have some Brappppp

Last edited:

Astral Dog

the factory is the worst 'house' in the game for me but even then its very good at times, annoying level design, lack of memorable puzzles but
i like using that mold stuff to make things, and moving the Duke elevator from floor to floor,also the enemies and bosses were great, when the lights went out and that thing appeared, it got me lol, and he chases you almost everywhere 😳

damn its the creepiest factory/lab in a Resident Evil game ever, lacks the pools of blood from the revelations one but it just looks SO wrong, like a steel hell.

wzy

I think I'm about 3/4ths of the way through the game and I've spent maybe 1% of my playtime actually dealing with enemy encounters. The rest has been poking through vaguely creepy interiors looking for ammo and other assorted crap.

This game is throwing so much treasure and ammo at me that I keep thinking I'm in for some big set piece encounter but nothing ever happens. It's always a handful of lycans or zombies, usually 4, and you snipe one, landmine another, then 2 or 3 shotgun rounds + cleanup with the pistol. Takes 10 seconds. Even by the low standards of RE7 this is an extremely boring game.

wzy

Also it has the same enemy AI as RE7 where you know the enemy is going to wiggle around the first time you put the crosshair on their head. So you just fake them out once and get a free headshot after. I feel bad for exploiting it but I'm not going to deliberately miss just to stay at "expected" ammo levels.

Matt_Fox

I think I'm about 3/4ths of the way through the game and I've spent maybe 1% of my playtime actually dealing with enemy encounters. The rest has been poking through vaguely creepy interiors looking for ammo and other assorted crap.

This game is throwing so much treasure and ammo at me that I keep thinking I'm in for some big set piece encounter but nothing ever happens. It's always a handful of lycans or zombies, usually 4, and you snipe one, landmine another, then 2 or 3 shotgun rounds + cleanup with the pistol. Takes 10 seconds. Even by the low standards of RE7 this is an extremely boring game.

I don't know if this is trolling, but the gameplay loop of Resident Evil isn't constant enemy encounters. It's exploration, puzzling, inventory management, item upgrading, and yes... a good bit of shooting too (and this game provides some brilliant boss battles and regular fodder).

VoS on NG is insane, it feels like it was designed around NG+ and Infinite Ammo tbh
I agree that infinite ammo would be ideal and less aggravating , but to me it looks like a fun challenge on regular NG. Looks about like Give me God of War difficulty if you ever tried that. Brutally hard but beatable with enough trial and error on strategies . Seems to get a bit easier once you make it past the first section ,as well as it seems to have a pretty fair checkpoint system in most spots. That being said, I'm thinking I will probably die at least 100 times though haha.

Have to say Capcom is getting soft these days on their NG+ modes with the difficulties. Back on RE 4 you could not play a NG+ unless you beat it at that difficulty. So you had to beat it on Professional before you can play a NG+ on Pro. Seemed to give more replayability that way. Kinda lame to me.

Yeah man the PS4s ray tracing is awesome isn’t it l? And that 4K + HDR output at 60 fps on the 4 is great too! Looks exactly the same!

Oh right it does none of that.

Enjoy your last gen system, pleb 😂
I have a PS5 and I'm currently playing RE:V, but it BARELY looks any different from the PS4 version and the ray tracing in this particular game doesn't really change the game much. There are VERY minor changes to lighting in some scenes, but almost nothing is reflective and even in the case of glass cabinets and windows, screen space reflections are still used regardless of having RT turned on. So yeah, barely any different. Resolution looks good, but it's not really one of those things where it's a major game changer.

I really wish RE:V was only built for next gen.

HotPocket69

Banned
I have a PS5 and I'm currently playing RE:V, but it BARELY looks any different from the PS4 version and the ray tracing in this particular game doesn't really change the game much. There are VERY minor changes to lighting in some scenes, but almost nothing is reflective and even in the case of glass cabinets and windows, screen space reflections are still used regardless of having RT turned on. So yeah, barely any different. Resolution looks good, but it's not really one of those things where it's a major game changer.

Lol. Christ I’m so glad I’m not a graphics whore/autist

Show me definitive proof that RE:V on PS5 is a major difference. You can't

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Thought this game was slick! Completed last night and started again straight away. Another playthrough on normal I think then move up to a higher difficulty.

Astral Dog

i have hopes now for a third first person game to end up the WINTERS trilogy, this Brandon guy andThe Connections have been behind everything that happened at the Baker house. but i think it may have both third and first person modes 🤔

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

DF was talking about the reflections in the PC version yesterday. They basically did the bare minimum. I think the game looks magnificent indoors and in some overcast lighting conditions even outdoors, but I also wish that they had done some more work using the next gen hardware. There are lots of pots and pans in each room but because of last gen limitations most of them cannot be broken or even interacted with.

REM4KE is supposedly a next gen only game. It's fully open world unlike RE Village which has a hub world but thats about it. Lets see how that turns out. This game started development after RE7 in January 2017 so I never really expected them to make it next gen only.

SCB3

i have hopes now for a third first person game to end up the WINTERS trilogy, this Brandon guy andThe Connections have been behind everything that happened at the Baker house. but i think it may have both third and first person modes 🤔

I'm hoping for a Chris led FPS fame to finish off tbh

GymWolf

DF was talking about the reflections in the PC version yesterday. They basically did the bare minimum. I think the game looks magnificent indoors and in some overcast lighting conditions even outdoors, but I also wish that they had done some more work using the next gen hardware. There are lots of pots and pans in each room but because of last gen limitations most of them cannot be broken or even interacted with.

REM4KE is supposedly a next gen only game. It's fully open world unlike RE Village which has a hub world but thats about it. Lets see how that turns out. This game started development after RE7 in January 2017 so I never really expected them to make it next gen only.
Since when re4 is fully open world?!

Astral Dog

I'm hoping for a Chris led FPS fame to finish off tbh
I can do without Chris...

But the first person games are awesome. Maybe they will have others appear, Claire would be cool.

Also new OUTRAGE for Switch hype by Dusk Golem 🧟‍♂️

Last edited:

Astral Dog

RE:V literally looks exactly the same on PS4, so okay.
Its a beautiful looking cross gen game with great art style regardless, more last gen swan song

Its a full AAA horror game im kinda tired of people shitting on the graphics 🤷‍♂️ good improvment over 7

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but I finally checked out "The Tragedy of Ethan Winters" DLC that came with the Deluxe Edition and it's got some interesting tidbits about the production of RE8 and where things were supposed to go.

Ada was originally in this game and was supposed to be the one that saves you from the trial.
resident-evil-village-ada-wong.png

Having said that, the Deluxe Edition is absolutely NOT worth the extra $10 unless you have more than a passing interest in videogame concept art.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
ButWhy? Gif.

After re3 they are gonna ruin re4 too uh?!
Supposedly the remake switched hands and while the external studio wanted to stick close to the original RE4, the internal Capcom RE studios wanted to do a lot more with it. It's going to be a lot more ambitious than RE3 or even Village. They supposedly want it to have the same impact as RE4 did back in 2005.

Its a beautiful looking cross gen game with great art style regardless, more last gen swan song

Its a full AAA horror game im kinda tired of people shitting on the graphics 🤷‍♂️ good improvment over 7
No one is shitting on the graphics, we're just being honest. Ppl acting like this has the best next gen graphics are objectively wrong. Everyone loves the game, but some of us aren't interested in exaggerating certain aspects of it.

where did you hear this info?

GymWolf

I'm about to begin the section with my compatriot as a boss, not really into dolls\phantom horror stuff tbh but people have high praise for this part.

Last edited:
Top Bottom