• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

skneogaf

Not reading anything on here till I'm finished but dropped in to say this is a great game with absolutely amazing graphics and if you turn off the 3 acceleration things and the wobble thing it controls great too.

Regarding the plot...

People are really looking for plotholes and picking at loose threads IN A RESIDENT EVIL GAME?!

Come on, this is a famously ridiculous, dumb fun video game series. You really shouldn't need telling to park your brain at the door and just enjoy the ride...
My dude, it's called having a discussion. In a discussion thread. In a videogame forum.

No one is arguing that the series isn't ridiculous (on the contrary - it's been acknowledged), we're simply discussing the intricacies of this particular title and if you can't handle that, then just ignore it. You ever heard the quote "the difference between reality and fiction is that fiction has to make sense"? Well, RE often doesn't.. but it certainly tries, and it's fun to discuss such things. My point is: don't be a wet blanket.

ANYWAY, I started up Resident Evil 4 last night because RE8 got me into the mood to replay it. It looks WAY better than I remember, but then again I originally played it on PS2 lol

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

My dude, it's called having a discussion. In a discussion thread. In a videogame forum.

No one is arguing that the series isn't ridiculous (on the contrary - it's been acknowledged), we're simply discussing the intricacies of this particular title and if you can't handle that, then just ignore it. You ever heard the quote "the difference between reality and fiction is that fiction has to make sense"?
Nah.

dont-question-just-praise-consume-and-get-excite-jpg.225091

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
To anyone that unlocked the end game mode.
is it good?

I was super hooked on the raid mode it rev-2

Reactions: Isa
One thing I miss from RE7 was that the Xbox version was PlayAnywhere and synced saves across Xbox and PC.
I'm actually glad that DIDN'T happen between PS4 and PC versions to be honest, because I wanted a fresh experience without the VR. Speaking of which, I cannot believe that they STILL haven't released a VR version for PC. RE7 VR was fucking incredible and is a major reason why I think so highly of it (even in comparison to 8). Ugh, fucking Sony. That said, I'm hoping that when PSVR2 comes out they'll release a RE8VR as well.
is it good?

In my opinion: no. Mercenaries was at it's height in RE6, which is the one thing that game did right lmao

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm actually glad that DIDN'T happen between PS4 and PC versions to be honest, because I wanted a fresh experience without the VR. Speaking of which, I cannot believe that they STILL haven't released a VR version for PC. RE7 VR was fucking incredible and is a major reason why I think so highly of it (even in comparison to 8). Ugh, fucking Sony. That said, I'm hoping that when PSVR2 comes out they'll release a RE8VR as well.

In my opinion: no. Mercenaries was at it's height in RE6, which is the one thing that game did right lmao
:( dimmit

Madflavor

Village of Shadows is near unplayable with a fresh NG. It’s a difficulty designed for NG+, and I’m all for it! Even with late game weapons that are halfway upgraded, the enemies are tough as hell.

Also maybe it’s just me, but I find the vampire sisters way sexier than Lady D. I wish they were in the game longer.

SkylineRKR

is it good?

Its okay. But it lacks the variety of past mercs. Different characters with different loadout and moves, this isn't here. Its the same gameplay as the campaign. No melee moves or executions.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Village of Shadows is near unplayable with a fresh NG. It’s a difficulty designed for NG+, and I’m all for it! Even with late game weapons that are halfway upgraded, the enemies are tough as hell.

Also maybe it’s just me, but I find the vampire sisters way sexier than Lady D. I wish they were in the game longer.

Completely agree. Going through the game a few times, and playing Mercenaries thoroughly, in order to overhaul your arsenal is mandatory.

I couldn’t believe some of the monsters they throw at you early on. Even in that first corn field near Luiza’s Mansion! And they just rip you to shreds.

Last edited:

Mato

I played a few hours today.I just entered the mansion by the waterfall. I think this might be my favorite RE so far. Awesome locations. And finally a Resident Evil set in the daytime. The world feels like something that would have come out of my bizarre childhood nightmares. Just the right amount of spooky. Way better than 7.

Last edited:
This game is amazingly paced and the variety of environments and gameplay scenarios reminded me of Half-Life 2 more than anything. This is a tightly crafted first person shooter.

Each area had a specific theme and gameplay loop that each major area in Half-Life 2 had. There aren’t many cuts and jumps in time. So 95% of the adventure is ongoing like God of War or even a movie like Superbad. I love that kind of stuff in games and movies where it’s a start to end with no jumps in time or major cuts.

I would recommend this game to any FPS fan and to survival horror and RE fans. This is more action focused than RE7 but I felt RE7 was being too much like modern horror games likes Outlast and Amnesia and less like RE. While RE8 is more action focused, it feels more like an RE game than 7 did to me.

I can’t wait to play more and just grabbed the infinite grenade launcher ammo for my first challenge reward. I think having to totally upgrade a weapon before having to also purchase the infinite ammo reward is an intense grind. I’m happy something like the infinite grenade launcher ammo was available right away. I guess since that weapon cannot be upgraded.

Fairly notably better, however gameplay is the same, so if you didn't like the demo gameplay, you will not find satisfaction in full game.
I’d actually say the shooting is quite a bit better - mainly because the first guns suck - felt way better for me in the full game tho. Probably also cus I turned off the acceleration and had the sensitivity at like 4

fart town usa

Gold Member
I’d actually say the shooting is quite a bit better - mainly because the first guns suck - felt way better for me in the full game tho. Probably also cus I turned off the acceleration and had the sensitivity at like 4
I have sensitivity at 3 and feels great. I think the shooting is fantastic too.

I'm honestly surprised at some of the negative comments. Nothing that will make me butt hurt but I kind of feel bad for them because to me, the game is near flawless in it's execution. I wish others could have the same enjoyment I got out of it. Truly a AAA gaming experience.

His voice acting is quite hilarious in some parts
Is this not purposeful? Some of the lines he’s given are hilarious - like when he reattached his hand. Loved it

Last edited:

Markio128

When I played the demo (PS5), shooting the Lycans felt like I was shooting at hairy Caspers. Is the gunplay satisfying in the final game? Were those guys impossible to kill and meant to be avoided?

Wow , I watched a little playthrough of someone playing the game on Villiage of Shadows level difficulty. Holy shit the enemies are INSANELY fast and twitchy and the amount of damage they take is also insane.

Looks like a true survival horror on that difficulty. Any gaffers give a this a try yet ? I will have to beat it on hardcore at least twice before I try it.
Looks do-able , but appears you will need to run away from at least half the enemies if you want enough ammo for the boss battles. But wow do the enemies move fast , especially the Lycans.

SCB3

Wow , I watched a little playthrough of someone playing the game on Villiage of Shadows level difficulty. Holy shit the enemies are INSANELY fast and twitchy and the amount of damage they take is also insane.

Looks like a true survival horror on that difficulty. Any gaffers give a this a try yet ? I will have to beat it on hardcore at least twice before I try it.
Looks do-able , but appears you will need to run away from at least half the enemies if you want enough ammo for the boss battles. But wow do the enemies move fast , especially the Lycans.

VoS on NG is insane, it feels like it was designed around NG+ and Infinite Ammo tbh

This may be blasphemy but I honestly think this is the best looking game I’ve played on my PS5. Demon’s Souls may be sharper in some areas but overall I just think this game is gorgeous with RT on.

RE Engine is a delight.

dcx4610

I'd like to mention just how much of a difference HDR makes in this game (I'm playing on PC). I took some screenshots and they look good but nothing like how it looks with HDR enabled. With Ray Tracing and HDR, it adds such an amazing level of detail and realism that I was pretty shocked when I saw the screenshots I took compared to what I saw in the game. Even with a HDR400 monitor, it's a huge difference.

I might have to take some comparison shots later.

I must be the only one that doesn't think RE:Village looks all that good graphically. I think it's the lighting. It looks okay indoors sometimes but outside it completely falls apart and looks video-gamey. The snow and the trees and grass do not look realistic at all. Sometimes the rocks and steps look okay, but everything else just looks flat with bad lighting. RT also barely changes anything about the game. Reflections are super low res and the global illumination seems to be more like certain things look a tiny bit more grounded, but it's not transformative like it is in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This may be blasphemy but I honestly think this is the best looking game I’ve played on my PS5. Demon’s Souls may be sharper in some areas but overall I just think this game is gorgeous with RT on.

RE Engine is a delight.
High five! It's a gorgeous game. The art design is awesome! Art design >> technical proficiency all day. Especially in the case of this game.

I must be the only one that doesn't think RE:Village looks all that good graphically. I think it's the lighting. It looks okay indoors sometimes but outside it completely falls apart and looks video-gamey. The snow and the trees and grass do not look realistic at all. Sometimes the rocks and steps look okay, but everything else just looks flat with bad lighting. RT also barely changes anything about the game. Reflections are super low res and the global illumination seems to be more like certain things look a tiny bit more grounded, but it's not transformative like it is in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition.
Na, as you can tell from my post above your post youre not. This, Hitman 3, and Disco Elysium best games i've played this year. But for sure this is not even close to "next gen" graphically, literally my only "negative" (in quotations cause idc it didn't lessen anything).

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Sure. Technically it's not that impressive compared to what's ideally possible possible at the moment, I guess. Said that I still impressed with the visuals, very much so actually. PS4PRO here btw. Atmosphere is very well done. It's not only technical proficiency that's ultimately responsible for the end experience.

Last edited:
I'd like to mention just how much of a difference HDR makes in this game (I'm playing on PC). I took some screenshots and they look good but nothing like how it looks with HDR enabled. With Ray Tracing and HDR, it adds such an amazing level of detail and realism that I was pretty shocked when I saw the screenshots I took compared to what I saw in the game. Even with a HDR400 monitor, it's a huge difference.

I might have to take some comparison shots later.

This is one of the better HDR implementations I’ve experienced, personally. As long as everything is properly calibrated.

edit: sorry for double post

Last edited:
Sure. Technically it's not that impressive compared to what's ideally possible possible at the moment, I guess. Said that I still impressed with the visuals, very much so actually. PS4PRO here btw. Atmosphere is very well done. It's not only technical proficiency that's ultimately responsible for the end experience.
Of course you think it looks good though. Its not like anything is going to regress on last gen systems barring a Cyberpunk situation

Excess

What the Fidelity FX actually do? Should I use it with a 3080?
This is like a shittier version of DLSS but only uses adaptive sharpening, so there's no real upscaling. It will work on Nvidia GPU's.

The game already seems to have some over-sharpening, and there's now a mod to remove that.

Last edited:
I don't think it's an UGLY game or anything. It just doesn't WOW me, you know? It's not going to blow any minds.
I think PS4 Pro guy being impressed and me with a PS5 ranks it below a handful of other games graphically tells the story. I have no doubt their wasn't a focus on next gen graphics, but just doing what they could to make it an upgrade. Who knows how far into development they were when they realized they had to make a next gen version considering it supposedly started in 07.

MistBreeze

finished the game in under 11 hours

it is a great game and one of the best games in the series

it is varied bosses - enemies - locations - gameplay scenarios

it has action pieces and horror peaces

in short the pacing is great

characters are great

graphics are gorgeous

- spoilers ahead -

best areas the palace and the factory

best bosses Lady d _ Hisenberg - Morou - Final in that order but honestly they are all good and different which I appreciated

best set pieces: Lady D chasing and then boss fight - Baby monster in doll house - More water setpiece - propellor monster in factory in that order

I appreciated Chriss mindless shooting re 6 hommage mission weirdly enough I think they emplemented it well

I admire the varied set pieces and gameplay scenarios they even have vehicle section in the game

all in all it is a great game it feels re4 ish mostly but has a thing from each mainline game in the series it is like a celebration for every thing the series has done

negatives:

- only the palace and factory are long other areas are short and not fully realized

- it is not short by any means it is good length but I feel the game needed an extra area same length as palace and factory

but since Capcom in a roll recently getting game out fast yearly and giving us great game after another I appreciate what they did with this game

verdict:

9/10

it is one of the best game in the series but still re 4 is the complete package in the series and best game having most variety, areas, bosses, length ... etc
specially at its time

for me it goes:

re4 >> re 2 remake >> re village >> re 3 remake >> re 5 >>> re 6 in that order

I did not play the classics ps1 games but I watched others play them

DavidGzz

Not reading anything on here till I'm finished but dropped in to say this is a great game with absolutely amazing graphics and if you turn off the 3 acceleration things and the wobble thing it controls great too.

Yep, I turned all of that off and my daughter, who loves watching me play RE, quit getting motion sickness too.

Banned

AIM ACCELERATION IS A FUCKING CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY! the fact it is even used AT ALL by any developer still is a testament to the fact that most devs have no idea how to do good aiming controls! like wtf?

so yeah, turn that shit off as fast as possible

Top Bottom