• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8: Village |OT| Dat Atmosphere is THICC

Tarin02543

Excellent game, the japanese are masters at this sort of game. Some Ringu vibes later in the game.

Runs excellent on my 1060 albeit with low settings. Nonetheless looks really great!

Some segments even remind me of Dark Souls.

SkylineRKR

Mercs is pretty good, albeit a a bit too easy. I got an A rank on the Village but could've easily gotten higher as I simply made a fuckup in the first area (it was just my second attempt at this). I did the second area in one combo and the third in almost one combo, fucking up at the end.

Grab the ammo and then sell everything you have (including heals), buy a Sniper. Upgrade its power, and then probably the rate of fire and then mag. Hit all orbs, like in RE5 mercs this is your priority. Then most enemies have spawned, which is good. Then try to pierce shot them, I could kill 3 guys with one shot at times. Esp. in the second area this works as they all funnel when you go to the outward orb as last one.

As for blue orbs, aim for the explosive upgrade, range upgrade and your speed. But I think its RNG what you can choose. S and higher seems strict though, probably need to hit all timers (I didn't to maintain a combo) and not drop your combo anytime soon.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Finished. I haven’t devoured a game so fast in years. Really don’t have any complaints. Environment, and enemy variety alone are way above 7, even though 7 is a much more grounded experience. I loved the more fantastical over the topness mixed with the minimal tension in this one. The upgrade system is solid and the final hour gives you some pretty great revelations and lore reveals. Can’t wait for IX.

Last edited:

dcx4610

I made the mistake of getting the Xbox Series X version. I'm mostly a PC gamer but I decided for certain games, I'll play them on console if they aren't super demanding or run well. Also, the instant resume feature is super handy. I'm super picky about first person gives being with a mouse and keyboard but I figured I'd give it a chance with a controller since it's not fast paced like a FPS.

...and it was awful. Graphics wise it's fine. I just don't know how anyone does a FP game with a controller. It just doesn't feel right. Painfully slow and just feels like I'm intentionally handicapping myself. So stupidly, I bought it again on PC and....much better. Graphically its a bit better, runs at a higher frame rate for me and the control is infinitely better. Game wise though...eh, I'm not sure I like it. I'm only an hour again but it just doesn't feel like Resident Evil to me.

It's so frustrating that companies feel the need to slap franchise names on games that should be their own thing. Why couldn't RE7 be Village and this be Village 2? They'd have their own franchise and do their own thing. Instead, I'm sitting here and bought the game because its named "Resident Evil" and playing something that seems pretty cheesy and something I'm not even sure I like.

I'll keep playing to see where it goes but those opening 30 minutes didn't inspire confidence.

base

Banned
Got it yesterday. Played 7 but haven't finished it. 8 looks way more promisibg due to the darker atmosphere.

onesvenus

Just played the castle demo on the XSX, I'm late, I know, but I have a couple of questions:
- I was disappointed to see texture streaming issues just at the beginning (when you wake up from the floor just starting the demo, there's a brief amount of time when the floor has a low res texture). Does this happen somewhere else through the game?
- And I was also disappointed on the lack of some shadows. At first I thought it was only a lack of contact shadows (you can see some books in tables not projecting any shadow at all) but then I realized that happened with other objects like some furniture (lamps, jars, ...). Are those shadows also missing on the PC version or is it just a limitation of consoles?

I think I'll wait until it's cheaper or it's eventually in Gamepass.

ssringo

Was my initial experience as well. Getting A rank should be easy enough for even casual players but doing that all SS rank challenge should be a decent...challenge.

Honestly the game seems built for Raid Mode more than Mercenaries. But I'm also much more a fan of Raid Mode so I'm super biased in that regard.

rapid32.5

Just played the castle demo on the XSX, I'm late, I know, but I have a couple of questions:
- I was disappointed to see texture streaming issues just at the beginning (when you wake up from the floor just starting the demo, there's a brief amount of time when the floor has a low res texture). Does this happen somewhere else through the game?
- And I was also disappointed on the lack of some shadows. At first I thought it was only a lack of contact shadows (you can see some books in tables not projecting any shadow at all) but then I realized that happened with other objects like some furniture (lamps, jars, ...). Are those shadows also missing on the PC version or is it just a limitation of consoles?

I think I'll wait until it's cheaper or it's eventually in Gamepass.
Texture streaming in this game is the same across all next gen platforms including PC. No character reflections in mirrors is really a let down, since some parts of the game are prettier than others. Could be budget limitation or engine limitation.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Fucking amazing game. I rarely feel nowadays that I can’t stop playing but I do with this one. I really liked 7 but this just shits on it. I‘m close to call it my favorite game in the series. And it looks insane on PS5 (though I guess it’s the same on PS4 90%). It’s one of the most detailed game worlds ever. Massively immersive.

SkylineRKR

Village is up there as one of the best and most fun ones. But the village itself is kind of lame. Its too much of a safe haven soon enough. In RE4, you don't return to the village once its rooted out. I kinda hoped RE Village would do the same thing despite being called village. And not being able to revisit boss areas for a missable is kind of a dick move as well.

I think in terms of level design, the castle is easily best as it rivals the best RE games. The rest does feel less developed. My fave is RE2R. Its tougher, more survival, its the ultimate RE experience. It has the characters, the setting, the everything. RE3R is probably my number 2 even if I don't like what they changed. But its just too much fun to replay. RE4 closes my list out but is in need of a gameplay overhaul, if they do that it might take the top spot again. Which is why I would place 7 above it nowadays. Village is better than 7, and has mercs to come back to (though sadly not with different characters and moves).

Cant put this down! I have 3/4 flasks now, is that close to the end?

There is a fair bit to do after the third. You can visit quite a bit of optional areas and the end is still quite a way from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

TMLT

Lol whoever said this wasn’t scary. Fucking dolls man..

The scariness is more up and down than 7 was imo. I think the developers actually said they were going for something to that effect. 7 was like a consistent 8-9 on the shit your pants scale for me, whereas this is like 5 in parts, 8 in parts and then THAT section is like fucking 200. That particular part is the most harrowing thing in any Resi game, in fact i'm struggling to find a more fucked up moment in any horror game right now. It is really, really, REALLY fucking bad especially if youre doing the full play in the dark with headphones thing.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably an unpopular opinion but I think this is no different to the RE's after Code Veronica.
The best compliment I can give is it's closer to a first person RE4 with worse combat (how that's possible I don't know)

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Is there no spoiler thread to discuss the game story freely? Can't seem to find it .

Also, no pc performance thread either?

I wanted to see what interlaced does and the pros/cons. Setting it to interlaced instead of normal on a rtx 2080 nets you a huge fps boost.

However, is that lowering my visuals and if so where ? Is RT on with interlaced a good combo or no ?

Plus I wanted to ask more pc tech heads if I should be setting the texture quality past 1gb high ? I don't see any real differences at 2, 4, 6 gb used? Aside from my fps shitting the bed.

dcx4610

OK. I'm kinda digging it now. I still prefer zombies and the more down to Earth stuff but it's fun and picking up.

Any recommendations on what to upgrade at the shop and what/what not to sell?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just finished the game. Wow.

It's so superior to RE7 that it's not even funny; in fact, it makes that game look like the proof of concept it was/is. Everything feels just so much more polished here. Bring on the DLC!
Yeah it definitely better, I compared it RE4 for that reason
OK. I'm kinda digging it now. I still prefer zombies and the more down to Earth stuff but it's fun and picking up.

Game is good no doubt, and it's hard to say RE is down to earth but in comparison to this it is.
I'm just seeing this as a different series although because the two worlds do not mold together, Capcom really could have made a new IP with this
It's like they took RE when it went off the rails and turn it up another 10 😂

Roufianos

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think this is no different to the RE's after Code Veronica.
The best compliment I can give is it's closer to a first person RE4 with worse combat (how that's possible I don't know)
Thing is, 6 and even the remakes arguably have worse combat mechanics than 4 and 5.

The laser sight aiming in those games was as tight as a feminist's minge. Dunno why we've moved to these floaty crosshairs.

Last edited:

Neff

Don't sell food. Animals don't respawn. Give any you have to Duke to free up space, he'll cook good stuff for you with it later. Don't sell any valuables which are combinable (it'll say in the description).

Regarding weapons, prioritise power and rate of fire. Reload upgrades are never worth it imo. Upgrading capacity gives you a free ammo refill on the spot, so use it strategically when you're empty.

Can you revisit the castle at all after you clear that area?

No. Once you leave, it's off limits.

and then THAT section is like fucking 200.

DADA

Last edited:

mekes

I’m just a few hours in and it’s a curious experience so far. As a long time enjoyer of the RE games it is clear to see which parts nod to older games and which ideas are experimental for the series. I like it so far, it has my interest. The beginning felt a little rushed but I assume that the answers will come.

Giles

Having grown up with the OG resident evil games I haven’t really bothered with them since re 5 but having watched a playthrough I’m actually regretting not buying and experiencing it myself.
Definitely played myself being close minded to what the re series should be 🙈 haha

SCB3

Having grown up with the OG resident evil games I haven’t really bothered with them since re 5 but having watched a playthrough I’m actually regretting not buying and experiencing it myself.
Definitely played myself being close minded to what the re series should be 🙈 haha
None of the RE games are bad per se (aside from the Dead Aim series), still enjoyable to go through

Astral Dog

i finished the third 'house', been enjoying every moment so far, this game has NEVER forgotten its an horror game. Not even once :')

The art style and tech is breathaking , treasure hunting is fun and well implemented (yay optional puzzles!) exploration is increased quite a bit from 7 and level design is slightly more complex.

I have only two issues with the game, the combat feels clumsy, when fighting bosses it works well enough, they go a little crazy as expected but they are fun setpieces, the problem is when fighting common enemies Ethan is overpowered, on the classic games and the REmakes a single zombie can fuck you up if you are not careful, ammo conservation and anxiety is increased, thats one of the feels many fans remember fondly when playing a Resident Evil, there is nothing special about fighting the werezombies here and the way they react to attacks IS weak. Fortunately, you don't spend much time fighting them, the game is balanced well! some time exploring, other times solving puzzles, or some spooky setpiece. I was expecting pacing far closer to 4 but its mostly 7 and its awesome 👍

The infamous CoD last section i expect it be like the RE VII boat,so not exciting but at least handled better than that game with a proper final boss.( From what i heard.)

The other issue are just a few weak moments, but nothing that breaks the experience, every game has them. Not gonna say wich because i haven't finished the game but they are short.

The story is intriguing and the villains charismatic, i love the village setting.

Sorry but i can't see VILLAGE as anything less than a 9, its everything i hoped for, RE7 resembles the classic games slightly more while RE8 is closer to 4, but both are amazing survival horror games! The future is bright for Resident Evil and the series is in good hands 🐺🧟‍♂️🧙‍♀️

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Zombie game?

tenor.gif

• LOL

cragarmi

To the reviewers that were saying it's not scary, did they not play up to.. There, wtf that seriously freaked me out, that section is scarier the PT imho! Bravo Capcom.

I am planning on playing this on the PS5. However, there’s a store in my city that sells the PS4 version for 10€ cheaper. Are there any downsides to getting the PS4 version? And if not, why is the PS5 version more expensive in the first place. It’s so confusing…

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
As someone who played all mainline games + both revelations, the castle was among the best levels in the series. The pacing was just perfection.

I figure the game will likely go downhill from here, but damn, no wonder capcom milked the castle for the trailers.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

There’s a lot to digest during the final hours of Resident Evil Village. So let’s get into the nitty gritty of all this, and explain exactly what went down, and the ripple effect it has on the rest of the series.

Resident Evil Village opens a huge can of moldy worms in its final hours that recontextualizes the entire franchise. It's also an ending that leaves many cliffhangers to explore in the future.

Ethan Winters has been through a lot since his trek through the bayou in Resident Evil 7, rescuing his missing wife Mia from the Baker household. As it turned out, Mia was working for a crime syndicate known as The Connections, which were responsible for looking after the bioweapon known as Eveline. It was Mia's job to be a caretaker for Eveline. Once Ethan and Mia escape the grasps of Eveline in the end of RE7, with the help of Chris Redfield, they're put into hiding in a European village so The Connections cannot find them, and during that time, Ethan and Mia start a family with their daughter Rose. All was well, that is until Chris Redfield shows up and murders Mia, and kidnaps Rose. But that's only the beginning of what this ending begins to explain.

In the above video, we dissect the motives behind Chris Redfield, and most importantly, the game's antagonist Mother Miranda, and the impact she has on the game's lore (which is very deep). We'll also piece together how Umbrella Corporations fits into Village, and the ripple effect that has on its other games, as well as future ones. Also, is Lady Dimitrescu actually a vampire? Watch the video to find out.

Just finished the castle part and the only bad thing about this game is the feeling that it won't last for a hundred hours like others. What a masterpiece!

From the perfect characters (the Duke, the giant milf, the daughters), to the stunning art of the castle (it's like a virtual museum and what a beautiful museum!) and even the puzzles... I love this even more than RE4 so far, and that makes Village a contender for my favorite game ever in this genre.

This game deserves way more praise. Can't understand some people complaining about totally irrelevant details like "omg, saw one simple texture in a tiny object one moment"...

fart town usa

Gold Member
Game is amazing. Finished it in 2 sessions, 11 hours total. Not my top 5 for the series, too much of fanboy of the classic RE titles but man this game is good. It just feels fantastic while playing it and it always maintains the puzzles/exploration aspect, the main thing I like in RE titles. Love the inclusion of classic lore elements, lots of the OST seemed to harken back to OG 96 RE. The compliment I can give it is that it's simply fun to play. I can't think of anytime I was frustrated, was just enjoying myself from beginning to end.

Good job Capcom, really nailed it.

Lots of replay value too, excited to try the harder difficulties and sink some time into Mercenaries.

Last edited:

Banned
just a technical sidenote here,

if you played the Demos on Series X in RT mode and noticed stutters/framedrops even on a freesync/VRR screen, that was due to the demo (for some weird reason) not supporting VRR... in the full version on a VRR screen the game feels and looks smooth as butter with RT on.

I often had to check out of curiosity if the game drops any frames in heavy scenes (my TV can show the hz it runs at in real time when pressing the OK button on the remote) and even when it dropped to 50fps, without having that display there to tell you you wouldn't know.

so if the demo had ugly stutters on your VRR TV, fear not, in the full version you will not find a single one. I am just giving a heads up because I found that really weird in the demo... when looking at the corn field the game had super noticeable framedrops for me, when it shouldn't on a freesync ultimate TV, and the TV always showed 60hz no matter what which was curious

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Top Bottom