• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Jawmuncher

RE4 was still a survival horror game. 5 and 6 are when it veered into all out action, and Dead Rising has more in common with those two and all the action offshoots than the other entries in the series.

RE4 just struck a better balance than 5 & 6. I'd still consider it an action game though. It was the reason those later style happened after all. When you start to suplex monks, and kick waves of enemies away. The survival horror isn't really there anymore.

I would say you could maybe argue Dead Rising 1. Since you're able to earn a lot of melee moves to use on the zombies once you're fully level 50. But the rest of the games ditch that for combo weapons.

Especially with the most recent DR game. The only comparison they really have to RE is that they're action and have zombies. Gameplay from both now are hugely different. There's overlap sure, but they still appeal to their own crowd.

I still stand by that there is no real comparison to RE action to anything else on the market. Much like how there really wasn't much in comparison to the original survival horror style. There were games that perhaps tried, but never came close to really capturing it.

Right now the closest comparison to RE6 for example is Vanquish.

RE4 was still a survival horror game. 5 and 6 are when it veered into all out action, and Dead Rising has more in common with those two and all the action offshoots than the other entries in the series.

If 5 was set at evening & night and had Regenerators its just as much horror as 4.
The daytime really fucked them up in 5 but its still my 2nd favorite of the series.

RSB

Banned
So did you only play Resident Evil 5 and 6 or what?

Because the vast majority of Resident Evil games are not that, and the series certainly didn't begin like that at all.

If you want crazy ass action games I'm not even sure why you'd be into this series to begin with. There's a lot of other games out there to fill that role.
I have no idea why you would assume that, but no. My first contact with the RE series was RE2 back in 1998, and since then I've played all the mainline games (and some of the spin-offs)

And yes, that gif still gives me more RE vibes than all of RE7.

Edit: I just started replaying RE3. So good.

I hope the RE2 Remake is succesful and Capcom decides to remake RE3 too. Racoon City is an awesome setting, and they could really flesh it out in a remake. So much potential...

Vibranium

Banned
I'm just damn excited for RE2make, hopefully they sort out the blurry texture issues for Raccoon City on the RE engine. Can't wait to explore dim alleys, watch Barry's bro Kendo get eaten, and run through the parks. It would be cool to see Outbreak and RE3 references too (Jill's burning apartment please). And hopefully we get to kill Zombie Brad in HD, payback for being a coward. Ughhh I am getting so excited thinking about the exploration possibilities and files to read, I need to adjust my expectations.

Also, I am willing to put money down that there will be a HUNK 4th Survivor DLC. Probably something for Ada too, just like how Umbrella Chronicles did it.

giphy.gif

Jawmuncher

I'm just damn excited for RE2make, hopefully they sort out the blurry texture issues for Raccoon City on the RE engine. Can't wait to explore dim alleys, watch Barry's bro Kendo get eaten, and run through the parks. It would be cool to see Outbreak and RE3 references too (Jill's burning apartment please). And hopefully we get to kill Zombie Brad in HD, payback for being a coward. Ughhh I am getting so excited thinking about the exploration possibilities and files to read, I need to adjust my expectations.

Also, I am willing to put money down that there will be a HUNK 4th Survivor DLC. Probably something for Ada too, just like how Umbrella Chronicles did it.

Hunk better not be DLC.
A Ada campaign since that's not in the original would be cool though as DLC.

BadWolf

hope the RE2 Remake is succesful and Capcom decides to remake RE3 too. Racoon City is an awesome setting, and they could really flesh it out in a remake. So much potential...

My personal hope is that the remake/classic series is successful and they continue to make new games in the same classic style after they are done with the remakes.

Yeah fans of RE4 like saying that to distinguish it from RE5/RE6 but RE4 is very much an action game.

Jawmuncher

My personal hope is that the remake/classic series is successful and they continue to make new games in the same classic style after they are done with the remakes.

Yeah fans of RE4 like saying that to distinguish it from RE5/RE6 but RE4 is very much an action game.

Yep. It was just a action game the found a better balance in all its pieces.

I'm curious if they made a RE2make that supported more than one style, and then there was an achievement on who beat the game in said style. What the percentages would be. RE.net would probably put them together well, by being able to see who beat it only one style, and who beat it on both, etc.

Vibranium

Banned
Hunk better not be DLC.
A Ada campaign since that's not in the original would be cool though as DLC.

I mean I also hope Hunk isn't DLC too. I just see can see Capcom doing that though since they could make lots of money off of a season pass. It's crazy to think that if he had double-tapped Birkin (and had better accuracy when firing near virus vials) when he had the chance, the Raccoon City outbreak would have never happened.

Gradon

I really want a full Ada campaign. Even if they do DLC Id just love more elaboration on her story and to have it full length like Leon and Claire's.

They can take stuff from the Chronicles games and add them on the remake.
A Hunk and Ada campaing would be nice, but I see Capcom holding those for DLC...

Sesha

I don't think any content that was in the original will be DLC, but I can see them charging for new side content, like new costumes or an Ada mode.

Been playing the original Resident Evil for the first time. It's a total blast. Definitely makes me appreciate REmake even more too, because Mikami wasted absolutely no opportunities to expand on the game and twist your expectations. The OG is a much faster paced game though, it's got the old snappy movement, less rooms and keys, no Crimson heads to worry about, but the regular zombies are even more deadly since there are no defense items or quick turns.

I really want a full Ada campaign. Even if they do DLC Id just love more elaboration on her story and to have it full length like Leon and Claire's.

We need REremake afterwards.

Chris campaign
Jill campaign
Barry campaign
Rebecca campaign

secret Wesker campaign after you finished all 4.

Jawmuncher

Been playing the original Resident Evil for the first time. It's a total blast. Definitely makes me appreciate REmake even more too, because Mikami wasted absolutely no opportunities to expand on the game and twist your expectations. The OG is a much faster paced game though, it's got the old snappy movement, less rooms and keys, no Crimson heads to worry about, but the regular zombies are even more deadly since there are no defense items or quick turns.

Deadly Silence is the best version of the game. Keeps the quickness. But has the knife as it's a shoulder button like in RE4-5, and you get the quick turn. So good.
The Rebirth touch screen mode is pretty meh though.

Late on this but I just watched Damnation on a whim and found it surprisingly solid. It really went all in on the goofiness but that just added to the charm.

Jawmuncher

Late on this but I just watched Damnation on a whim and found it surprisingly solid. It really went all in on the goofiness but that just added to the charm.

Damnation fixes all the issues I had with Degeneration, which I found boring. It ups the action and goofiness and feels like it would have been a game sequel to RE4.

Deadly Silence is the best version of the game. Keeps the quickness. But has the knife as it's a shoulder button like in RE4-5, and you get the quick turn. So good.

I'm playing probably the worst version of the game lol the Dualshock version that's on PSN. God knows why this is the one they put up.

kc44135

So did you only play Resident Evil 5 and 6 or what?

Because the vast majority of Resident Evil games are not that, and the series certainly didn't begin like that at all.

If you want crazy ass action games I'm not even sure why you'd be into this series to begin with. There's a lot of other games out there to fill that role.

So much wrong with this post... Action RE has been a thing for 12 years now, and there are just as many action games as there are Horror games in this franchise. Also, both styles provide something relatively unique in their respective genres. There's nothing quite like Classic RE, with it's focus on almost Metroidvania-style exploration, wacky puzzles, tense resource management, and quirky/cheesy dialogue and storytelling. There's also nothing quite like Action RE, with it's focus on tense, tight gunplay, and context sensitive melee (this is hands down the best/most unique aspect of Action RE, and there are no other action games that have this mixture of mechanics, which baffles me to no end).

Action RE fans have just as many legitimate reasons to love the series as Horror fans, I'd say. Additionally, I'm pretty sure RE5 & 6 were the highest selling RE (and Capcom) games ever, and it certainly wasn't because they were Horror games. It was because they offered seriously awesome, and wholly unique gameplay you can't get anywhere else. I love the classic games as much as anyone here, but Action RE is also fantastic in it's own right, and both have their place in this franchise, as do fans of each respective style of the series.

kc44135

Eh, Idk about that. Sound quality is pretty poor in that version, and the FMV's look pretty bad too. Also, it's not Capcom's fault, but playing it on a 3DS (the way most folks would play it nowadays) isn't great. The D-PAD is in a really awkward position, and using the Circle Pad for movement is super awkward. Still a cool version of the game, but my vote goes to RE: Director's Cut (the one with the original soundtrack, not the version Poor Fancy Clown is currently being subjected to). Great audio/FMV quality, and Advanced/Arrange Mode > Rebirth Mode.
I'm playing probably the worst version of the game lol the Dualshock version that's on PSN. God knows why this is the one they put up.

:( Damn, you have my sympathies, man. Steel yourself for true Horror once you reach the Basement...

Jawmuncher

Eh, Idk about that. Sound quality is pretty poor in that version, and the FMV's look pretty bad too. Also, it's not Capcom's fault, but playing it on a 3DS (the way most folks would play it nowadays) isn't great. The D-PAD is in a really awkward position, and using the Circle Pad for movement is super awkward. Still a cool version of the game, but my vote goes to RE: Director's Cut (the one with the original soundtrack, not the version Poor Fancy Clown is currently being subjected to). Great audio/FMV quality, and Advanced/Arrange Mode > Rebirth Mode.

:( Damn, you have my sympathies, man. Steel yourself for true Horror once you reach the Basement...

I just really like the gameplay additions that I can put up with the lower aspects. I agree arrange is better than rebirth though. The knife mini games suck, and so do most of the puzzle.

Not at the basement yet...just got wrecked by like the 3rd double set of dogs on the way to guardhouse so now I'm back before Yawn again.

The soundtrack's not as bad as I was fearing yet, but it's not good either. I deeply wish it had the original soundtrack. I was listing to some of the original trilogies soundtracks today at work. They have such fantastic nostalgic quality to them, which says something about how potent they are considering I didn't even play any of the classics until a couple years ago.

Mr_Zombie

The OG is a much faster paced game though, it's got the old snappy movement, less rooms and keys, no Crimson heads to worry about, but the regular zombies are even more deadly since there are no defense items or quick turns.

The regular zombies in the original RE1 could be a pain in the ass, especially if you get yourself surrounded by at least two of them. In later games when you shake off a zombie, you push all zombies around you. In RE1, only the zombie chomping you is pushed aside, and the other ones do not react at all. This way you can easily end up in a situation where you are bitten by a zombie, push him aside, and the moment that happens a second zombie takes the charge and starts biting you.

Nope, not even slightly.
The game has a horror atmosphere, I'll give you that, but the moment the gameplay changed from "fight for survival" to "kill all enemies in the room while they drop ammo and herb for you to use" the game stopped being a survivor horror.

I was listing to some of the original trilogies soundtracks today at work. They have such fantastic nostalgic quality to them, which says something about how potent they are considering I didn't even play any of the classics until a couple years ago.

Yes, the original game has a really good soundtrack. I especially like the Remix OST. I have no idea why they felt the need to change it in the Dualshock version.

MattyH

It's a very fun game, I think you'll enjoy it.

I'm still waiting for a refined Mercenaries game using this as a base :/

id been waiting for a sealed copy to come along for a while went food shopping this morning and saw it for £10 so figured why not

I just really like the gameplay additions that I can put up with the lower aspects. I agree arrange is better than rebirth though. The knife mini games suck, and so do most of the puzzle.

Cannot agree with this, the extra and new puzzles are a welcome addition and I never had issues with the knifing.

You really need use the stylus though, doing it with finger will get you killed, is a time sensitive valve turn at one point and I died like 6 times trying with my finger.

Neff

I just saw TheGamingBritShow's critique of RE7 and I have to say I pretty much totally agree with it, although I haven't quite yet gotten over the RE7 honeymoon period enabling me to get back to RE6 (or any of them for that matter) as my go-to game for wasting time in the RE universe.

Also holy shit watching RE7 gameplay with RE1 music kinda makes me wish there was more of it in the game.

gelf

I do miss RE with creepy music throughout. I stopped even noticing the BGM from 4 onwards. Games in general seem more restrained with music use these days sadly.

I think REmake struck a good balance between using only creepy, atmospheric noises for atmosphere, and more memorable soundtrack tunes. RE7 does have music, it's just super tonal, ambient stuff outside of some of the action music in the later third, save room, and boss battles.

I just saw TheGamingBritShow's critique of RE7 and I have to say I pretty much totally agree with it, although I haven't quite yet gotten over the RE7 honeymoon period enabling me to get back to RE6 (or any of them for that matter) as my go-to game for wasting time in the RE universe.

Good video. I mostly agree with it as well although I'd probably be more effusive with my praise. And I will be returning to 7 a lot more than 6. I liked the intro to 7 a lot, but it's definitely not the most conducive to replays, so I hope next time around they can find a better balance of instant intrigue, atmosphere, and build up with something that doesn't quite hold your hand as much. I think RE2 is the best way to handle it. Instantly throw you into a crazy tense scenario, but limit it to being more linear so you can get a handle on the other core mechanics before you have to worry about navigating the RPD hub level.

Jawmuncher

I'll be coming back to 7 to get the platinum and 1000/1000 when I inevitably buy the game again. But I don't see myself playing it besides that. After I beat the game on PC I had no interest in even playing madhouse mode.

Even though it has good moments. The entire experience to me falters compared to the other classic titles. While I would technically rate 7 higher than RE2. I would play RE2 again before 7 if I was just randomly playing RE games. 7 sits kinda close to the Revelation games for me in that regard. Which are the other titles in the series I have never care much to go back to unless I'm doing a super marathon.

Funny enough when I did my marathon for RE7. Those were the two mainline games I skipped.

4-6 are easily the games I enjoy going back to the most though. Even after 500+ hours across all 3. After that it's RE3, REmake, and 0. With 2 and CVX as wild cards.

Cannot agree with this, the extra and new puzzles are a welcome addition and I never had issues with the knifing.

You really need use the stylus though, doing it with finger will get you killed, is a time sensitive valve turn at one point and I died like 6 times trying with my finger.
The puzzles themselves weren't bad. But I won't defend the knife sections. Which could bite you in the ass if you messed them up. Especially closer to the end where there's a really long one. It's bearable. But if I ever play deadly silence again, I won't be bothering with the touch stuff.

Neff

4-6 are easily the games I enjoy going back to the most though. Even after 500+ hours across all 3. After that it's RE3, REmake, and 0. With 2 and CVX as wild cards.

No lie or exaggeration, I've played RE6 and REmake REmaster at least once a month since they've been released, four and two years respectively. They're just comfy god damn comfy ass games to slip into on weekends and the occasional lazy work night.

And honestly, if RE7 was just that extra cut above what it is now -be it with more areas, or more enemies/bosses- I'd consider putting it up there too. It's a very strong replay game, but I'm starting to feel like it's time to put it among the likes of Revelations 2 and RE0 to dig out every now and then, rather than the RE games I regularly play through.

Jawmuncher

No lie or exaggeration, I've played RE6 and REmake REmaster at least once a month since they've been released, four and two years respectively. They're just comfy god damn comfy ass games to slip into on weekends and the occasional lazy work night.

And honestly, if RE7 was just that extra cut above what it is now -be it with more areas, or more enemies/bosses- I'd consider putting it up there too. It's a very strong replay game, but I'm starting to feel like it's time to put it among the likes of Revelations 2 and RE0 to dig out every now and then, rather than the RE games I regularly rely play through.

Yeah. At its core RE7 is good. But I think it misses the mark personally as a play it all the time kind of game. RE8 though if they take the feedback correctly. I could see being that sort of game of great replayibilty.

I agree, I think 7 is good--mostly really good even--but it's a bit shy of the great titles in the series for me. Still, I know I really like a game when I start up a new game immediately after finishing a first playthrough, and I did that with RE7. Only The Evil Within, Bloodborne, and Uncharted 4 share that distinction with me for current gen games so it's sitting in pretty good company in my eyes.

But if 8 can full realize the potential of 7 then it will be something really special.

I've been playing a little of 7 (just got to the main hall) and I have to say that the FPS doesn't bother me that much.

Liking it so far, hope it has good pacing.

Jawmuncher

I didn't mind the FPS. But I feel I was right in what I said prior. It doesn't help ethan as a character at all. That along with no face to me really makes him a husk of a character. Even with the slight dialog he has. He's really missing something every other main star has had, even when they themselves weren't all that deep to begin with either.

I still think he's a better protagonist than any of the characters were prior to RE4, outside of the visual identity obviously. They really had no defining personalities, character traits, or dialogue written in a unique voice in the classic games.

Jawmuncher

I still think he's a better protagonist than any of the characters were prior to RE4, outside of the visual identity obviously. They really had no defining personalities, character traits, or dialogue written in a unique voice in the classic games.

I think he has more of a personality since he has more quips and the like. Definitely more than the cast in RE 1 & 2 had. But I think it's a case where not having a standout design hurts him. It's the case with both Mia and Ethan. They're so dull in that regard. You can place these two anywhere and not too many people would know where they're from instantly. Which in hindsight is odd when you see the bakers and the previous average joe designs from Outbreak.

they obviously want to give this guy some character. But why capcom is handling it the way they are is beyond me.

zeemumu

I didn't mind the FPS. But I feel I was right in what I said prior. It doesn't help ethan as a character at all. That along with no face to me really makes him a husk of a character. Even with the slight dialog he has. He's really missing something every other main star has had, even when they themselves weren't all that deep to begin with either.

I fee that that was the point. Ethan was never supposed to live up to the other Resident Evil protagonists. He has the relevance of an Outbreak character. He probably could have been a silent protagonist, and that actually might have worked better in a lot of ways, but it would've been weird if he never spoke when Mia was around.

Most RE characters are known for what happened AFTER their first encounter with bio weapons anyway, with the exception of Barry and Rebecca.

BadWolf

Loaded up RE6 yesterday and started a Leon playthrough... damn does the game feel good to play.

I think he has more of a personality since he has more quips and the like. Definitely more than the cast in RE 1 & 2 had. But I think it's a case where not having a standout design hurts him. It's the case with both Mia and Ethan. They're so dull in that regard. You can place these two anywhere and not too many people would know where they're from instantly. Which in hindsight is odd when you see the bakers and the previous average joe designs from Outbreak.

they obviously want to give this guy some character. But why capcom is handling it the way they are is beyond me.

Tbh Ethan felt like a throwaway character meant to only appear once.

Jawmuncher

I fee that that was the point. Ethan was never supposed to live up to the other Resident Evil protagonists. He has the relevance of an Outbreak character. He probably could have been a silent protagonist, and that actually might have worked better in a lot of ways, but it would've been weird if he never spoke when Mia was around.

Most RE characters are known for what happened AFTER their first encounter with bio weapons anyway, with the exception of Barry and Rebecca.

Loaded up RE6 yesterday and started a Leon playthrough... damn does the game feel good to play.

Tbh Ethan felt like a throwaway character meant to only appear once.

I guess it depends on if he returns or not. If he really does never return in any sort of leading role then it makes sense. But if he ends up being a bigger player in the lore, the choice is odd.

zeemumu

I guess it depends on if he returns or not. If he really does never return in any sort of leading role then it makes sense. But if he ends up being a bigger player in the lore, the choice is odd.

I know someone from RE7 is gonna show up again but to me that depends on
which ending is canon. Plus we never found out what became of Lucas

Also holy shit watching RE7 gameplay with RE1 music kinda makes me wish there was more of it in the game.

It 's a good video but I strong disagree with 2 of his critiques:

1) He harps on the title for not being revolutionary. That's never been a hallmark of the series. Only RE1 and 4 really fit the bill (maybe RE5 to an extent because of co-op). And VR is arguably that new, revolutionary feature he was talking about. Correct me if I'm wrong but RE7 is the first major AAA release to be playable fully in VR start to finish. That's pretty huge.

2) His criticism of lack of content compared to RE6. Of course there is a lack of content compared to RE6! That game had an insane amount of content. Too much, arguably. I think its absurd to expect Capcom to maintain RE6 levels of content moving forward. His argument would have been better if he just stuck to focusing on the use of paid DLC to offer content that would have been free before.

I also found his complaints about the unkskippable cutscenes amusing since I watched the RE7 video the same day has his video on his GOTG Yakuza 0 which has large swaths of cutscenes that can only be fast-forwarded and not skipped.

BadWolf

I also found his complaints about the unkskippable cutscenes amusing since I watched the RE7 video the same day has his video on his GOTG Yakuza 0 which has large swaths of cutscenes that can only be fast-forwarded and not skipped.

Generally speaking you only watch cutscenes once at most in Yakuza.

They aren't 'short' games like RE which people often play more than once.

Top Bottom