• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Manu

speaking of which, do any of ya'll think they'll add crimson heads to re2? i kinda feel like the gameplay design/purpose of crimson heads wouldn't really work as well in RE2 due to you moving through different areas quicker + the larger variety of enemies in general.

Maybe not Crimson Heads, but maybe lickers? They're created by an improved version of the same process.

Can you imagine if every zombie in the game could potentially turn into a licker?

I've been playing the HD release of the 2002 Resident Evil lately, and for the life of me I cannot get on with the game. I'm constantly getting killed, and don't know how to improve.

I had played the original back in '96 at the age of 14, on the PS1, and had no trouble completing it then. But these days... I don't know what's happened to me. I've gotten to the part where you meet Rebecca and that other guy who you get the serum for, and after that I'm just getting killed all the time. Really frustrating.

Anyone else had this? A game that you could play when you were younger but you can't seem to manage it now?

Mr_Zombie

I've been playing the HD release of the 2002 Resident Evil lately, and for the life of me I cannot get on with the game. I'm constantly getting killed, and don't know how to improve.

I had played the original back in '96 at the age of 14, on the PS1, and had no trouble completing it then. But these days... I don't know what's happened to me. I've gotten to the part where you meet Rebecca and that other guy who you get the serum for, and after that I'm just getting killed all the time. Really frustrating.

Anyone else had this? A game that you could play when you were younger but you can't seem to manage it now?

I started REmake (with Jill) like three or four times until I finally stopped being killed constantly within the first hour or so of the game.

You just need to learn how to maneuver around zombies and monster and learn the mansion's layout.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder why GAF doesn't like CV (or CVX) that much. I played it for the first time 5 years ago on the PS3 and I really liked it compared to 3. Only thing that might turn off some people is the difficulty and how it can bottleneck the players by missing stuff.

Jawmuncher

I wonder why GAF doesn't like CV (or CVX) that much. I played it for the first time 5 years ago on the PS3 and I really liked it compared to 3. Only thing that might turn off some people is the difficulty and how it can bottleneck the players by missing stuff.

Even now I feel 3 is the better game when compared to CVX. To me it just feels like it has ages better. Also didn't help that the games were made by two different teams, so despite CVX being newer it feels sort of behind RE3 due to the lack of features.

Problem with CVX was that it took some back steps from the improvements of RE 2 and RE 3, CVX is my least favorite of the whole RE franchise.
Also the controls are clunky and I'm one who prefers the tank controls, also the constant switches between characters was annoying too, because if you were going in the first time, you could easily fuck up your play through.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Not only did Resident Evil 6 have the best looking Chris but the best voice acted game as well.

Roger Craig Smith really did a great job during the more intense scenes.

This part specifically, sure it's cheesy with the music and all but damn if it isn't awesome

I agree with whoever said that best Chris is RE6 Chris with RE5 hair. RE6 Chris has this dopey hairdo that does not jive with his pure undistilled boulder punching awesomeness.

But yeah Roger Craig Smith really does a great job with Chris. He really won me over in RE5, which was a pretty over-the-top game but he really carried it.

Might not be your problem, but I found modern gaming had conditioned me to try and kill everything. Could be something like this, forgot that its okay to run by as many of the enemies as you can.

LUXURY

I liked it. The training facility part was the only portion of the game I didn't care for. And bandersnatchers. Yo fuck them. I can't remember how many times I got my head snatched up running for the back of the mansion.

cvxfreak

Wonderful thread. RE has a great fanbase all over.

GamingMoe recently interviewed Kenichi Iwao, the man who conceived of the game world for the original Resident Evil. It's an interesting interview, and yours truly was the interpreter. ;)

Meeting Kenichi Iwao was amazing. Just hearing him talk about how he created RE1's characters, enemies, world, etc. was very mind blowing. I wish there could be an opportunity to go back to the series and see what he would do with it.

Maybe not Crimson Heads, but maybe lickers? They're created by an improved version of the same process.

Can you imagine if every zombie in the game could potentially turn into a licker?

Another thing they could possibly too, to counter the way you don't back track so much is zombies or lickers or whatever moving through the RPD to come to you. In Remake I know they had some bits where zombies travel through doors and such maybe they could do something similar here.

Even now I feel 3 is the better game when compared to CVX. To me it just feels like it has ages better. Also didn't help that the games were made by two different teams, so despite CVX being newer it feels sort of behind RE3 due to the lack of features.

Gotta agree. I tried going back to CVX with the HD release on the Xbox 360 and I just couldn't bare it for long. It's one of those games I enjoyed playing through (up until the snow base part), and completed back in the day, but have never been able to replay. Can't put my finger on it though.

LUXURY

i like emergency dodge more than defensive items because there's an active skill component to it rather than a resource management deal but they're not really incompatible either so you could technically have both in the game as long as defensive items were genuinely rare
however something like issen is built around combat-centric game design- you'd have to get everything to fit around it because of how it'd end up being a core action when older REs don't have that kinda focus in their encounter, enemy, resource management or pacing design
i can't say i'd really like that kinda thing for an oldschool style RE simply because it would mess with the resource management aspect while not really adding much to encounters besides acting as something that would railroad the player into doing it as often as possible for the sake of efficiency

i genuinely don't know how i feel about outbreak- it's such a weird thing. there's so many fantastic things about it but i always feel like the short level concept kinda works against it to a degree because you end up replaying them over and over without being able to build up that pacing that's somewhat integral to a great RE experience

i dunno, there's just something that bugs me about the levels being so short despite that also being a fantastic method for allowing wildly different scenarios (which is my favorite thing about outbreak- the sheer variety of scenarios)

I never realized how short they can be but you're right. I've been playing it online thanks to the server project and you can get through them in no time if you know what you're doing. I don't see that much of a replay value to them once you know exactly what you're doing like say Left 4 Dead where items and enemies can differ in location. Perhaps on Very Hard mode? Either way I'm enjoying my time with it having never been able to play it years ago. It's cool to think how they were able to get something like that working back then.

RSB

Banned
Yep. Especially obvious when comparing the graphics (pre-rendered backgrounds FTW)

Jawmuncher

GamingMoe recently interviewed Kenichi Iwao, the man who conceived of the game world for the original Resident Evil. It's an interesting interview, and yours truly was the interpreter. ;)

Meeting Kenichi Iwao was amazing. Just hearing him talk about how he created RE1's characters, enemies, world, etc. was very mind blowing. I wish there could be an opportunity to go back to the series and see what he would do with it.

It's always interesting to hear how they felt the original title wasn't going to be a success. Since on paper it doesn't really look like a solid recipe. Especially with what is now seen as a bit cheesy. Really was a perfect product of it's time though.

Neff

It's a really great interview, I enjoyed it a lot.

But did he really read the Fighting Fantasy books? Because it just seems too good to be true. Whenever I see House of Hell, I think Resident Evil.

Seyavesh

thanks for the interview! this is full of great stuff. the bit about RE originally being filled with only cyborgs is hilarious

also:
Iwao has worked on many beloved titles like Demon’s Crest, Einhander, and Parasite Eve II.
/
There were actually some other ex-Biohazard staff working on that game, as well. I put in things like the armor, weapons, ammo, and shop systems. It really did turn out a lot like Biohazard, didn’t it…

i knew it

I never realized how short they can be but you're right. I've been playing it online thanks to the server project and you can get through them in no time if you know what you're doing. I don't see that much of a replay value to them once you know exactly what you're doing like say Left 4 Dead where items and enemies can differ in location. Perhaps on Very Hard mode? Either way I'm enjoying my time with it having never been able to play it years ago. It's cool to think how they were able to get something like that working back then.
i wanna say that some item locations sometimes flip around but i can't recall if that's actually true or not

Like I said I'm just saying it should have a coat of horror. You don't have to ditch horror to make an action game. There's so many different directions horror can go in. Remove horror from RE and its not RE. And it doesn't have to be scary to be horror. I like the action gameplay a lot. I just want that horror vibe and that doesn't mean jump scares. Just nice, creepy art direction, no lame ass military zombies and stuff like that. You can be an action game in a horror shell. You can also have puzzles. Hell you CAN even have scares. With creativity the sky is the limit.

Revelations 2 is an action game but it didn't have to shed its heritage to do that. I like the action and gameplay but when I buy something called Resident Evil, well, ya know.

I get what you are saying but I think the series has been going down the path of military theme long before RE5&6. RE2 is where you start to get spec ops like soldiers involved, RE3 focuses even more on them with Umbrella's own Delta Force equivalent, and Code Veronica spends a lot of the game inside different military bases. RE4 does flip things back to 2/3 horror and gothic and then 1/3 military but even that is blunted with the lighter tone from Leon's quips and the colorful but not scary leadership of the cult.

REmake is really the only one that I would say puts a heavy emphasis on horror elements for the vast majority of the game, maybe RE0 as well. Even in RE2 the police station isn't creepy. It's really cool with the mix of ravished precinct style rooms combined with Spenser Mansion type touches but there isn't much dread to the place. Then the second half of the game is just straight up brightly lit sewers and a lab complex.

Overall, REmake excepted, I've felt that most of the rest of the series has been balanced with horror type atmosphere combined with modern or industrial environments. In that sense I think RE6 is still pretty balanced in terms of atmosphere: Most of Leon's campaign, Chapter 2 of Jake's, and even various moments in China from all 3 campaigns.

LUXURY

thanks for the interview! this is full of great stuff. the bit about RE originally being filled with only cyborgs is hilarious

also:

i knew it

i wanna say that some item locations sometimes flip around but i can't recall if that's actually true or not

They do. My mistake. In higher difficulty key item places change.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

That's a good interview, thank you very much.

Y'know what this thread is lacking? Arguments about perceived plotholes!

Ahem...

How did Leon and Claire get into Raccoon City if the army was still surrounding the city? I thought they only started pulling on the 30th?

Reebot

That's a good interview, thank you very much.

Y'know what this thread is lacking? Arguments about perceived plotholes!

Ahem...

How did Leon and Claire get into Raccoon City if the army was still surrounding the city? I thought they only started pulling on the 30th?

RE has more plot holes than... well just about anything. That's part of its wonderful charms.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
RE has more plot holes than... well just about anything. That's part of its wonderful charms.

Really? I honestly can't think of a single other plothole, and even that one can be handwaved as the army/national guard temporally retreating after being overwhelmed. It'd be a huge coincidence that this happened just when Leon and Claire entered the city but beside that it'd work. What other plot holes are there?

Manu

How about how the fuck Parker survived at the end of Revelations 1?

He fell from a great height, into the fire, with a broken leg, in a boat that was about to self-destruct.

Grisby

How about how the fuck Parker survived at the end of Revelations 1?

He fell from a great height, into the fire, with a broken leg, in a boat that was about to self-destruct.
He still needed to buy people lunches.
I like to think that Parker didn't survive. Because Parker's the worst.
Oh he's not that bad. There are two other characters in Rev1 who take that cake.

Seyavesh

you did it
you flashed the newsbot signal

also parker is great in pretty much every way but his actual contribution to the plot of 'absolutely nothing'

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't even like zombies in fiction. But don't mind them in RE for some reason. Probably because the games are fun and the zombies have always been just one type of enemy.

The plot hole that bugs me is RE:CV. Claire is in Paris looking for Chris when she is captured. So then she emails Leon who evidently has no problem finding Chris.

I'm sure I've seen this explained but the explanation never stuck with me.

Neiteio

Am I the only one who liked Jessica in Rev 1 ? :p
Jessica with short hair in her FBC outfit is the best character design in the series

game_cha4_img_l.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Jessica with short hair in her FBC outfit is the best character design in the series

That was a neat costume, but I don't rate it anywhere near the top. RE has some really great character design, some of it approaching iconic in videogames, and she doesn't really make the list. It's a fun costume though.

For example, and I'm not the biggest RE4 fan, but bomber jacket Leon was pretty fucking awesome. There are so many...

pHand

The plot hole that bugs me is RE:CV. Claire is in Paris looking for Chris when she is captured. So then she emails Leon who evidently has no problem finding Chris.

Chris cut off contact with Claire because he didn't want to put her in danger. He probably should've just told her to stay the hell away from Raccoon City and stop following him, but hindsight is 20/20. I think Leon was a government agent by the time CV happened, so he probably had contacts that got him in touch with Chris. I kinda gleaned this info from Darkside Chronicles; I don't remember if CV explained it.

Speaking of the Chronicles games, it's a shame Cavia are defunct, because I enjoyed the Chronicles games immensely. My only real problem was that the downfall of Umbrella was relegated to a spin-off, and it was the most underwhelming chapter of UC. If Capcom continue the 3-pillar approach, I'd love to see them take another stab at showing the true collapse of Umbrella.

i don't think there's a lot of folks who don't like the old ones but like the new ones tbh- i'd imagine most fans like most of the games regardless of style.

like, i've rarely seen anyone who really champions the action focused REs strictly over REmake or the old ones. on the other hand, there's always a huge catfight that flares up when folks who only enjoy the older style REs do the usual internet thing of being really abrasive about their tastes. i guess it can't be helped given the huge fanbase and wildly differing genres of the games but the circular and toxic nature of those kinda fights makes RE threads quite tiresome.

i kinda get the feeling RE2 remake will just flare up the fights even more, unfortunately. folks who thrive on hate are never satisfied, haha

speaking of which, do any of ya'll think they'll add crimson heads to re2? i kinda feel like the gameplay design/purpose of crimson heads wouldn't really work as well in RE2 due to you moving through different areas quicker + the larger variety of enemies in general.

Why not? REmake had to redesign the Spencer Mansion for this purpose, it wouldn't make sense to simply "uprez" REmake2 using the same exact format as the PS1.

Neiteio

FBC jessica was my main in 3ds raid mode. stylish outfit + machine gun/sniper rifle mastery was a win-win for me
Yes, my main, too. Me as FBC Jessica and my friend as Parker (who we called Porker, lol) going through Ghost Ship and constantly spamming our catchphrases ("I'm buying you lunch!") is one of my all-time favorite memories with this series. :)

In terms of designs, I'm also a huge fan of every single Jill design.

If I had to rank them:

1) STARS Jill
2) BSAA Jill
3) Wetsuit Jill
4) Battle Suit Jill
5) Nemesis Jill

Understand I love all of them, though. And this is not including alternates like Army Jill, Pirate Jill, etc.

Golnei

For example, and I'm not the biggest RE4 fan, but bomber jacket Leon was pretty fucking awesome. There are so many...

Claire's original RE2 outfit is the one that always stands out to me as a fantastically simple and effective design. Especially with how it worked around the limitations of the PS1 character models; managing to look better ingame than in any of the sterile 90s CG renders. I hope it's at least an option in the remake, even if they have to use the post-Darkside Chronicles design for the main game.

Neiteio

Claire's original RE2 outfit is the one that always stands out to me as a fantastically simple and effective design. Especially with how it worked around the limitations of the PS1 character models; managing to look better ingame than in any of the sterile 90s CG renders. I hope it's at least an option in the remake, even if they have to use the post-Darkside Chronicles design for the main game.
Claire's OG outfit was an unlockable costume in Revelations 2 (which was a fantastic game, btw).

Golnei

Claire's OG outfit was an unlockable costume in Revelations 2 (which was a fantastic game, btw).

Wasn't that still the Darkside Chronicles one with the red jacket and blue jeans? I was referring to the design from the actual game.

images

Sadist

So yeah, Resident Evil man;

I still remember back when I was a kid, I was easily scared. That might have been the mistake of watching the Thing when I was five years old, (right now it's one of my favourite movies) but at a certain point I started to appreciate horror themed media when I got older. One movie I enjoyed in particular was John Romero's Dawn of the Dead. It was a pretty old movie, but zombies feasting on the flesh of the living was so terrifying to think about. But the idea of zombies as enemies was pretty damn interesting and I started looking into the Resident Evil-series. I only owned a PlayStation back then and after finishing my new, dirt cheap copy of Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare which I did enjoy, I was pretty sure I'd like the Resident Evil games. It went differently in the end. Around that time Nintendo announced the Gamecube and Capcom would release a remake of the original Resident Evil. I missed Nintendo's games and with the promiss of RE coming to Nintendo's new machine I made my decision; I'd wait for a Gamecube. After the € 99 Cube thing and playing Eternal Darkness first I finally played my first Resident Evil. It. was. AWESOME.

I actually waited untill ten o'clock when it finally got dark enough to walk around the mansion. The cutscenes, the murders... that iconic first zombie encounter! It was glorious. I didn't start with the legendary first version (which I do own and played for the first time about six years ago) but even this remake made me gasp with every twist and turn. I mean, I remember laughing about the stupid little note you received with the fuel canteen. "Hey if you don't burn bodies, you're going to have a bad time." Pffffttt, as if! So ignored the fair warning. And I payed with my life after stumbling upon the Crimsonhead, with all of it's bloodthirst. I made sure that hallways I'd frequent quite often were zombie free. Even downed ones. REmake offered so many fond memories though. Cool bossbattles, surprise attacks from Hunters, poor Lisa Trevor... when I finished up my first run I started a new file with Chris. Only thing on my mind from that point; "I need to play more of Resident Evil!" Good thing Capcom ported 2, 3 and Code Veronica X to the system plus Zero arrived in stores.

I was hooked. Loved RE 2 because of my boy Leon, ran away from Nemesis, hated Steve Burnside's guts...

When RE 4 came around I was totally hooked on the series. But more on that at a later time.

The environments are lacking details, this was bad even when the game first release and has made it age worse than all the games using pre-rendered backgrounds, even the PS1 games.

The game has the worst backtracking in the series by far. Well past the point of exploring, it just straight up has some awful back and forths.

Weapons all sucked, handgun ammo is everywhere, while other weapons lack ammo aside from bow, plus the other weapons like the shotgun were weak compared to previous games, and none of them felt powerful anyway because...

No damaged to zombies or anything else, even with a rocket launcher, another prices of going fully 3D I guess, or maybe because they self censored the game, you cannot decapitate zombies or anything.

On DC/GC/PS2 the game is visually dull with fogging used in some areas, the HD Remaster actually helped improved this a lot.

This is where the series really started the cinematic cutscenes, as well as the superpowered nonsense that for many is unwanted in the series.

If really want to nitpick, it lacked small touches and advances in the series, like being able to walk up/down stairs like in RE3, despite RE3 releasing before it (CV actually started development first, but that isn't really an excuse).

Unlike RE2 no alternate scenarios, unlike RE3 no player choices or actions alterting the scenario each time you play. CV was a single scenario that never changed outside of saving Rodrigo which didn't change a damn thing.

Story gets a mixed reception, but everyone agrees Steve was an awful and annoying character.

It was overall a poor effort that paid a hefty price for going 3D, gained pretty much noting for it and mechanically was a very inferior game to RE3 which released before it.

Jawmuncher

I'm currently playing through Resident Evil Zero, what are the chances we might see Billy again? Actually quite like him.

If they do another Revelations and keep with the theme of not seen in a long time characters, I think a billy and Carlos team up would be cool.

Neiteio

Wasn't that still the Darkside Chronicles one with the red jacket and blue jeans? I was referring to the design from the actual game.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsodaItdHXBWfyxxF5ME-Bc9NDtfyiTIKRFkbRKnEaWjzFMBOQpQ[img][/QUOTE]
Oh, my bad

Mr_Zombie

Claire just sucks at using Google Altavista and/or Yahoo, duh.

A more serious answer: wasn't Leon already working for the government by the time CODE: Veronica took place? He had access to stuff an ordinary civilian hadn't. That Claire preferred to break in into Umbrella's Paris HQ guns blazing instead of sending Leon an e-mail first is another story.

The environments are lacking details, this was bad even when the game first release and has made it age worse than all the games using pre-rendered backgrounds, even the PS1 games.

The game has the worst backtracking in the series by far. Well past the point of exploring, it just straight up has some awful back and forths.

Weapons all sucked, handgun ammo is everywhere, while other weapons lack ammo aside from bow, plus the other weapons like the shotgun were weak compared to previous games, and none of them felt powerful anyway because...

No damaged to zombies or anything else, even with a rocket launcher, another prices of going fully 3D I guess, or maybe because they self censored the game, you cannot decapitate zombies or anything.

On DC/GC/PS2 the game is visually dull with fogging used in some areas, the HD Remaster actually helped improved this a lot.

This is where the series really started the cinematic cutscenes, as well as the superpowered nonsense that for many is unwanted in the series.

If really want to nitpick, it lacked small touches and advances in the series, like being able to walk up/down stairs like in RE3, despite RE3 releasing before it (CV actually started development first, but that isn't really an excuse).

Unlike RE2 no alternate scenarios, unlike RE3 no player choices or actions alterting the scenario each time you play. CV was a single scenario that never changed outside of saving Rodrigo which didn't change a damn thing.

Story gets a mixed reception, but everyone agrees Steve was an awful and annoying character.

It was overall a poor effort that paid a hefty price for going 3D, gained pretty much noting for it and mechanically was a very inferior game to RE3 which released before it.

Plus it has some questionable game designs and ridiculous puzzles (hey, lets put that access card into a glass bubble, and make it so that the only way to get it is to smash the bubble with a huge stone block that just happens to be in that one corridor). I like CV, I like the cinematic cut-scenes (I remember being super impressed when I saw that characters actually *talk* and show emotions instead of just waving their hands :D) and I love the soundtrack. But gameplay wise, I put it slightly above, or maybe on the same level as RE0 (i.e. rather low).

I think CV also has too many gimmicky boss battles - while people criticize the Tyrant fight on the plane for taking too much ammo, it's actually beatable using very very little ammo since it's actually about triggering the shoot-it-out-of-the-plane cutscene - but it's also possible to spend basically ALL of your ammo on it without ever realizing this, because the game communicates the rules so very poorly and because the Tyrant doesn't really have a finite HP meter you can deplete, just a stun state you put it into. One of the first ways the game lets you fuck yourself over with little warning.

The Nosferatu fight is straight trash. Worst first-person targeting reticle basically ever, huge aiming sway, terrible visibility, instakills if you get knocked off the platform, and gas attacks covering 3/4 of the platform that knock you out of the first-person view. What a tremendously awful piece of design, through and through.

And the less said about the Steve fight the better. No, as a whiny poster mentioned the last time we talked about, it's not MANDATORY to take damage at this point if you execute an exact series of steps that no gamer could deduce on their own without tons of trial and error, but it's still a garbage sequence.

All three of those fights are symptomatic of in-over-their-head developers who couldn't nail good design and dramatic/cinematic set pieces at the same time so they just chose to say 'fuck it' and go solely for the latter.

see also a few RE5 boss battles

Top Bottom