• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

- No, then they would call it a "Remake".

- It's not like you can actually tell a difference unless you are comparing them side to side. They haven't turned it into a ps one game like some ppl seem to think. And besides...who cares? Are graphics really that important?

- There are MANY ppl who wants to play the GCREmake but don't want to go over the hassle of getting a Gamecube just for that game and then trying to find a copy of the game on ebay and then playing it on Scart....

-No it's not, until we see the finished version on screen, it says nothing.

I can tell the difference just by looking at it. A cropped 480 image blown up to 720? Looks bad. The screenshots tell us exactly what we want to know: how is it remastered or ported? The answer is "badly."

If people want to play a worse version of the game, they're about to get the option. That doesn't stop my ire at Capcom for releasing this. Gamers would be better served by buying a Wii or a Gamecube.

It doesn't matter if you spin it as a port, a remake, or a remaster - it looks bad.

I bet there isn't even a photo mode

TfEuwWW.gif

Really hope this isn't a lazzy port.
Of course it is.

I'll probably get it anyway, I love this game. Still have my Gamecube copy around.

Just scanning through this thread, it's crazy to me to see how many people are saying things like "I finally get to play this"

I first played this game in 1997

I'm getting old :lol

How else were they going to do it? Cut off the top and bottom of the scene and not scroll? Find a magic lamp and wish for more art to the sides to keep the entire scene visible in widescreen? Not have a widescreen mode at all?

Find the original master files of the original game and then re-use those to build the assets of the new version?

I wonder what we would call such a process. Maybe Re-make? No, that implies they're making the whole game again. Re-master? Hmm, that sounds pretty good.

Hmmmm, I don't really know how I feel about this. On one hand it's a fantastic game and the more people that play it the better.

But on the other hand I'm sick of remasters, and you just know Capcom is gonna half ass it too.
I suppose I'll keep an eye on it.

ethomaz

Banned
Fuck if the industry is only doing remakes.

I need that one so much... yet the best RE for me... played it and beat dozen of times without had a PS1 memory card.

How else were they going to do it? Cut off the top and bottom of the scene and not scroll? Find a magic lamp and wish for more art to the sides to keep the entire scene visible in widescreen? Not have a widescreen mode at all?

I'm not too distressed about this, but I guess I was kind of hoping they'd exert the same effort as when they actually made the REmake.

Ganondorfo

This is lazy, nobody cares to play an old game like that anymore. They should have made a new Resident Evil one, like Tomb Raider did for the Tomb Raider series.

Tain

a PC port of one of the very best Gamecube games? Sure, I'll take it.

Lame that the backgrounds aren't being re-rendered but it's probably a better experience than Dolphin in 4:3 mode.

let's be honest, no one was expecting capcom to actually re-render all the backgrounds

but i did not expect this.

one step forward, two steps back...

It's a damn big step forward for Capcom though.

Folks are acting like this is Silent Hill HD Collection 2.0, to which what we're seeing so far looks pretty damn good in comparison.

Melchiah

The Playstation 2 was released in Japan a month after Code Veronica came out there. They could have ported it much sooner, but they were too busy developing other Dreamcast titles at the time.

I don't buy your argument, sorry.

And the PS2 was released in Europe in November 2000. You're not going to get to play on the system at the Japanese launch date eitherway. What matters is when it was released where I live. If you don't buy it, it's your problem, not mine.

Capcom was busy developing other games for the PS2 as well...
Onimusha: Warlords - March/July 2001
Devil May Cry - October/December 2001
...Code Veronica was released on the PS2 in August/September 2001.

G0523

What the hell? Why isn't this coming out on the Wii U? The original remake and its Wii port were Nintendo-exclusive but now this one isn't? Nintendo got jipped.

I think I'm getting old and jaded GAF. I just can't muster any enthusiasm for this at all. I've already played RE a bunch and the "remaster" doesn't look good enough to warrant a purchase.

Maybe I just need more coffee...?

I have been meaning to play this again. Dug out my GameCube and everything. Guess I can put it away.

That being said, this is super cool that this is finally coming out on non-Nintendo consoles. I bought my GameCube originally just for the Resident Evil games that were coming out on it, so it's really the only excuse I have for holding on to the system.

Good news.
any chance we are gonna see RE 2 Remake?

Depends on how well this does and what direction they are taking the new game. The next game is likely well-underway to the point where there would be Resident Evil 4-level thematic and gameplay shifts.
My shit looks pretty darn good compared to Silent Hill HD collection, dosn't change the fact is shit.

The main hall, dining hall, hall of mirrors, and the first zombie cutscene look off, but I wouldn't say terrible. Yet the kitchen, lab, and other scenes that utilize soft whites, greys, and blues look fantastic despite the odd object depths.

This may be a lazy port/remaster. But if this is complete shit, then I suggest getting out more.

Ridley327

This is pretty disappointing, but expected with the difficulty of re-rendering the old backgrounds. It also explains why it's locked to 30 fps, because 60 fps would have only been possible if they re-rendered them, too. They technically would be able to run the polygonal stuff that fast, but it would clash horrendously with the backgrounds.

Like some have said, you could just as easily put the Wii version of REmake in your Wii U and get the same experience.

chadboban

If anyone who's buying this is going to be playing it for the first time, judging by how they said the 16:9 wide-screen mode is going to work, you should probably stick with the original 4:3 mode since this mode may have you shooting enemies off-screen even more often than in the original.

I'm so torn on this, I want to support old school RE yet and the same time I don't want to support a "remaster" that doesn't really seem to be trying. It's still good for the people who haven't played this masterpiece yet though.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they make more of an effort with Grim Fandango

who would've thought a 2014 game with pre-rendered backgrounds could look so bad

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think this is how Capcom see's it:

The 360 and X1 platforms are there for Western sales. Also all platforms except PS3 are digital in JP.

WiiU is doing horribly WW. Just looking at JP sales of Revelations:

PS3 : 188,851
WiiU : 11,973
3DS : 283,235
360 : 6,099

Why isn't this coming to the 3DS? They'd only have to down-scale the backgrounds. ;-;

famitsuhd4jki8.jpg

I don't get it, it looks great, i mean look at the floor...

It's doctored, the "Original" image that is. Capcom has no shame :p

I think I'm getting old and jaded GAF. I just can't muster any enthusiasm for this at all. I've already played RE a bunch and the "remaster" doesn't look good enough to warrant a purchase.

Maybe I just need more coffee...?
There is nothing wrong with having standards. It's not like you are asking for 4k textures. Capcom just needs to log onto Amazon and buy some fucking safes lol.

Find the original master files of the original game and then re-use those to build the assets of the new version?

I wonder what we would call such a process. Maybe Re-make? No, that implies they're making the whole game again. Re-master? Hmm, that sounds pretty good.

Well said.

How or why you'd defend the billion dollar corporation to not spend a little extra effort to maximizing the quality of their product, must have an associated mental disorder.

I get it. They don't owe us anything, but why support such poor output.

The Last of Us on PS4.. That's a great remaster.

ZeroCDR

Yes, let's instead only look at the "best" screenshots and bury our heads in the sand regarding the "remastering" of this port.

Even that screenshot is filtered and looks a bit rough, though it doesn't seem as bad. I'm gonna wait for direct footage, I'd assume if there's a filter option Capcom will let you disable it.

Top Bottom