• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Coreda

I highly doubt anything was lost.

Who is buying this? RE fans. This isn't going to set the world on fire, even if they re-rendered all of the backgrounds and remade the animations for 60fps.

Would have made a difference to the reception in this thread (and likely others) from the same core crowd who will be buying the game, and feeling let down that Capcom didn't do a better job on the overall quality, specifically the background IQ. It's pretty clear given a choice that everyone would prefer native-res backgrounds.

If you believe the original background files weren't lost then you can understand why people would be upset that they didn't bother improving the backgrounds, which would have satisfied everyone and been a better port.

ZeroCDR

Limited edition for Japan
PfntqNg.png

11.111 円

Okay, I may have to get this.

rjc571

Banned
The fact that they're even touting screencropping as a feature shows how clueless they are. "It's the game you know and love, but now with less visibility! Hooray!"

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My RE-collection goes beyond 5k USD so I need to get that CE.

Timeaisis

If anything, this thread has reminded me how freaking beautiful this game was when it was released back in 2002. Still holds up very, very well. They wouldn't be able to get away with a "remaster" of dubious quality like this without amazing source material to go on. I mean, they're basically just upscaling everything and calling it a day, it seems?

Minsc

Gold Member
Oh my god the drama.... just play it in 4:3 if you don't like the 16:9 version!!!!

Most of the drama is over why they decided to go through the trouble of upscaling and putting filters over the existing SD pre-rendered backgrounds instead of just simply rendering the backgrounds at actual HD resolutions for the HD version, which would look a ton better.

Seik

Banned
My RE-collection goes beyond 5k USD so I need to get that CE.

Same, well, maybe not about the 5K part, but RE, along with Mega Man and Sonic, is one of my biggest, most valuable collection of a franchise I have.

I didn't know you were such a big fan, Yoshi, respect.

Levito

Banned
You know, I always knew that an HD port of this game would be a tough thing for Capcom to do due to the prerendered backgrounds. Hopefully it turns out ok.

Hiltz

So the rumor was true. Cool news, but it's a shame there's no Wii U version. Nintendo gamers would have supported it too.

Would have made a difference to the reception in this thread (and likely others) from the same core crowd who will be buying the game, and feeling let down that Capcom didn't do a better job on the overall quality, specifically the background IQ. It's pretty clear given a choice that everyone would prefer native-res backgrounds.

If you believe the original background files weren't lost then you can understand why people would be upset that they didn't bother improving the backgrounds, which would have satisfied everyone and been a better port.

Most perspectives are coming from a similar place, this is a post Naughty Dog era. It's easy to filter those out. Most of them probably wouldn't even buy this, they barely get the consequences of what widescreen means to a game like this.

I wouldn't expect Capcom to go back and redo all of the animations, renders, etc. If they were going to sink a budget into RE1, they would actually remake the game, not dick around with re-rendering REmake assets and tweaking shit to look and work right at 60fps.

Badosh

That's super cool.

I never played the REmake and only bits of the original. I jumped on the Re train at 3 and then stopped at 4.

Most of the drama is over why they decided to go through the trouble of upscaling and putting filters over the existing SD pre-rendered backgrounds instead of just simply rendering the backgrounds at actual HD resolutions for the HD version, which would look a ton better.

All the assets are gone. Capcom are cheap but it's best we can get unless they re-do EVERYTHING which would cost a lot money (not much compared to their AAA titles), but it's a lot of work and money for something that's not sure to sell a lot.

It may be a cheap move but it's a secure one. Plus they can test the water for future RE titles to maybe retain or literally go back to the horror roots of the series.

At least we're finally getting an updated version of it. It's not lost forever like most feared.

Ridley327

Same, well, maybe not about the 5K part, but RE, along with Mega Man and Sonic, is one of my biggest, most valuable collection of a franchise I have.

I think he and cvxfreak are constantly duking it out over who has the most outrageous collection of game-related goods for the series.

TyrantII

The fact that they're even touting screencropping as a feature shows how clueless they are. "It's the game you know and love, but now with less visibility! Hooray!"

That's the least of the issues. True fans wouldn't be playing widescreen anyways because it was never built with that in mind. The pan and scan method they're implementing is actually a pretty good idea for fixed camera angle scenes that were set up for 4:3. The isometric view lends itself more to movies than 3d camera games and you get similar issues that can't be fixed when trying to make it widescreen. Not only due to the need to rerender, but due to the composition of the maps, scenes, and item placements.

Not rerendering the backgrounds in HD is a much bigger issue and a no sale IMO.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hail to you, fan!

Yeah I don't make a big fuss about it, like I normally do :D But I've been collection RE-games since 2006.

I've been saying that Capcom should have done this years ago. Now bring the rest of the RE and Dino Crisis games to pc Capcom!

I'm happy that this is coming to pc because there are people who will make this look even better than by creating mods. Hope Capcom doesn't charge more than $20 for this.

I have never played RE, and was just this week looking into the REmake version. I think I'll hold off and grab this version instead. It always freaked me out when I was a kid, so I never could finish it lol But I think I can handle it now!

All the assets are gone. Capcom are cheap but it's best we can get unless they re-do EVERYTHING which would cost a lot money (not much compared to their AAA titles), but it's a lot of work and money for something that's not sure to sell a lot.

It may be a cheap move but it's a secure one. Plus they can test the water for future RE titles to maybe retain or literally go back to the horror roots of the series.

At least we're finally getting an updated version of it. It's not lost forever like most feared.

So then Capcom should have:

1) Made a straight-up port of REmake (minus any filters) and priced/marketed it as such

or

2) Made an actual remaster like Square did with Final Fantasy X HD - which was also filled with pre-rendered assets.

Maybe because they don't have that option.. I mean we are talking about a game over a decade old so they are working with what they already have and trying to make the best out of it.

Re-Rendering the backgrounds from 4:3 to 16:9 without having the access to the original files extremely hard.

Anyway from the pictures I've seen I'm more than ok with it... I've been dreaming of this HD port for very long years and it was just a wishful dream never thought it will come true, and it did.

Beside I will wait for a gameplay footage and direct screens from the PS4\XBOX1 version before making any judgment.

Edit:
1) Made a straight-up port of REmake (minus any filters) and priced/marketed it as such
No thank you I want the upgraded version with the option of playing in 16:9

2) Made an actual remaster like Square did with Final Fantasy X HD - which was also filled with pre-rendered assets.
FFX is like 95% 3D environment.....

This is one of the best GAF news threads I've been able to wake up to! When I decided to start playing the Resi games in early 2013, I started with the GameCube Remake and I loved it. I like RE4 for sure, but an HD REmake would be amazing and I'll double dip for it. It will be awesome to be able to play it with a DualShock instead of the Cube controller.

Digital only sucks though, IMO

An aside... this is the ONE TIME a famitsu has ever delivered on its "big scoop" haha

Top Bottom