• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Shredderi

Zero is all pre-rendered as well.

image.php

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
probably not given that none of the prerendered backdrops "play" at anything above 30fps. I'm sure that the pc version will either have the option or have ppl mod for it but it's going to look jarring if they do.

I don't understand why people think this.

The vast majority of the game is static backgrounds. 60 fps will be character movement against static backgrounds.

Even the animated backgrounds are rendered at 30fps (assuming they dont, won't or can't rerender them). On the animated backgrounds it's just your character moving more smoothly across a moving background.

There's no reason why it should be THAT jarring.

Seik

Banned
Its possible that the original scene files are gone, but we do know that they had them when working on Umbrella Chronicles. That was 7 years ago of course, but it shows that Capcom did indeed have some archival process in place. If they bothered to archive it in the first place, it would be short-sighted of them to throw them away after that. Plus they clearly used the old character models as a base for the remaster, so they kept those around somehow.

Nope, they remade everything in 3D for both Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles.

At first I was like ''What?''.

Well played! :D

Ninjimbo

I'm probably going to buy it anyway, but is it only a simple upres of the game? No new modes or unlockables? I kind of don't want to pay for slightly better graphics.

I already own the game for the GC.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Can not wait to play this again!

Almost finished it as Chris on Dolphin, but have put it aside.

(wonder if they'll leave the infinite grenades for grenade launcher glitch for Jill)

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
Nope, they remade everything in 3D for both Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles.

Did they? They are obviously lower-poly but I thought they were based on the high-poly original assets. Do you have a link? I can't seem to find anything online one way or the other.

Edit: I'm talking the RE Mansion only. The Darkside stuff is definitely remade.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'd definitely like to play this again but whether I buy it on day one or not will depend on how much effort Capcom put into the 'remastering'. If it was Resident Evil 2 I'd be throwing my wallet at the screen right now.

Jinko

Huh? I wasn't expecting anything else than it being a HD port of the GC REmake. What do people want? A remaster of a remaster?

I'm totally fine with an uprezzed port in this case.

I want a complete remake (from scratch), but it seems all we are getting as of late is more and more HD remake bullshit with a minimal amount of work put in.

Seik

Banned
Can not wait to play this again!

Almost finished it as Chris on Dolphin, but have put it aside.

(wonder if they'll leave the infinite grenades for grenade launcher glitch for Jill)

That's a good question.

Since the changes seem to be mostly aesthetic, I assume it would still be there.

Did they? They are obviously lower-poly but I thought they were based on the high-poly original assets. Do you have a link? I can't seem to find anything online one way or the other.

Well, it's not all that complicated, REmake is all about a 3D model running around a flat pre-rendered background.

Umbrella Chronicles is an on-rail shooter with EVERYTHING in 3D, so if we exclude some stuff like the doors (maybe?), pretty much everything probably had to be redone.

Can't wait to stand in the save rooms again relaxing and listening to this ;_;

Edit:
I'm a little confused by the screens. If try to play this on my 16:9 1080p monitor, am I going to have black borders?
You can play the game in a widescreen 16:9 display ratio.
pop_hd_wide_ss01.jpg

When Chris moves down... the screen will scroll to follow him.
pop_hd_wide_ss02.jpg

I took a shot in dolphin, cropped it, added noise like they seem to be using, and change the hues to be a similar color. This is all stuff that would be pretty trivial to do real time in game.

dolphin_vs_hd_by_aloo81-d7tsx9d.gif

It seems like they're adding a LOT of contrast to the backgrounds. What used to be noticeable details before is now flat blacks in this new HD one.

The character's textures seem much improved though.

Remaster looks noticeably better to me.

Question for people importing......how are you going to read Japanese ( are we hoping Capcom allows an English option?)

Even tough we already know the fate of Wii U in terms of 3rd Party games, news like this and the lack of a Wii U version still makes me depressed, literally. Even more because Wii U is the only game console I have and my PC is outdated as hell. It's like Nintendo is not even trying anymore and they believe everything will be fine if customers wait 4 to 5 months between each 1st party game and zero retail 3rd party stuff in between. Last year we had RE: Revelations why not this one!? My goddd! I need a cup of tea.

Capcom tried with Revelations. It bombed on WiiU hence no remaster for WiiU. If you want to play Japanese and Western third party games get a PS4 or XB1.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm a little confused by the screens. If try to play this on my 16:9 1080p monitor, am I going to have black borders?

No. It will crop down, and the background will scroll with you as you move around.

Sort of like this, but of course as you move, and smoother.

scrolling_by_aloo81-d7tt6xk.gif

Not just remade, but some parts are also redesigned if I remember correctly.

This is a day 1 for me. I don't care if people are hating on this for not being good enough for them.

It looks great, and tons of people never got to play REmake. This is great for people like myself who never got to experience it.

Grief.exe

How do you lose the original assets? How does that happen?

Large capacity hard drives were expensive, failures, lack of forward thinking, and general incompetence.

I would lean towards the latter going by the release date of REmake. The price issue was more frequent during the 90s.

The game has such a great OST.

Some of my favourite tracks:
Neptune Tank

Guard House I

Macabre Hallway

Main Hall
Oh god just listening to these gives me the chill and the creeps... damn that Macabre Hallway so freaking freaky :(

It happens.. the game was developed in a very very long time, it's normal for the assets to get lost, same thing happened to Kingdom Hearts 1:

Kingdom Hearts 1 was created a long, long time ago, so actually the original data was missing already," he explained. "It was lost, so we had to research, and we had to dig out from the actual game what was available and recreate everything for HD. We had to recreate all the graphics and it was actually not that easy."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/27/original-kingdom-hearts-assets-lost

Edit:
mr teaspoon said:
I love the RE series save room music, but I don't know how you can find it relaxing! To me it does such a great job of embodying this tone of 'you're safe for a moment, but you won't escape the horror'.
Nailed the expression!

Garibaldi

Where is it mentioned they've lost the original background assets? Let's not jump to conclusions here. These shots could quite easily be work in progress mock shots.

There was a glitch in the Gamecube version where you could game the item storage system and end up with a grenade launcher with infinite incendiary ammo. I hope that's still there in this version--it's the only way I could ever beat the game!
I'm a scaredy cat and this made the game crimson-head free.

televator

Hmm.... So it seems the character models will definitely be improved. The backgrounds will be filtered which isn't ideal. Crop and zoom 16:9 makes me wanna vomit. I guess I can consider that this game will be superior to the GC version if played in 4:3.

Xpliskin

It's been a while, internal server movements, faulty backups, no archiving at all, carelessness, who knows ... .
The old original japanese remake website hasn't even been archived, that's the website, it takes no space at all.

Konami actually lost source code of Silent Hill 2, so the people making the port had a previous build with bugs in it as a starting point (that's why the port sucks).

I just can't believe they lost such "precious" timeless classics.

Seik

Banned
Hmm.... So it seems the character models will definitely be improved. The backgrounds will be filtered which isn't ideal. Crop and zoom 16:9 makes me wanna vomit. I guess I can consider that this game will be superior to the GC version if played in 4:3.

There's better lighting too, it seems!

It's been a while, internal server movements, faulty backups, no archiving at all, carelessness, who knows ... .
The old original japanese remake website hasn't even been archived, that's the website, it takes no space at all.

Konami actually lost source code of Silent Hill 2, so the people making the port had a previous build with bugs in it as a starting point (that's why the port sucks).

I just can't believe they lost such "precious" timeless classics.

Yeah, shit happens, just like SEGA that lost the codes for Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Anyone else leaving the control scheme exactly as it is?

#TankControls4Lyfe

Me for sure, wouldn't have it any other way, I honestly think the original control scheme is the best, and could still be used in new entries if modified to be more free flowing and responsive and add in the RE4 style laser sight to help with aiming. I'm tired of RE4's over the shoulder game play.

Hey this would have been nice on Wii U, but you can't really blame Capcom for not putting it on there. They tried in the past, I mean shit they released this game already on Gamecube AND Wii, but the sales must have dismal both times.

Dunkley

What are the odds of Capcom just implementing an option to turn off the remastered backgrounds? They did offer the SD textures in Ultimate HD on Resi 4.

At least that way, you could set the resolution to match what the FMV backgrounds were rendered at and just have your monitor scale the image for you. Isn't a HD remaster that way, but at least you get to experience REMake as it was on GC/Wii if you never had the chance to play it before.

Top Bottom