• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

butman

Please don't mess up Jill.
Yes and No.

resh_reremake_personaje_jill4.jpg
resident-evil-revelations-jill-cut-scene.jpg

Just imagine Jill face model on RE3 Remake for PS4. Believe!

Project-SERA-960x508.jpg

Not on MT Framework.
No existing port to work off of.

Four reasons.

1.) The games were made on a much older engine. They can be ported to modern platforms/PC, but they wouldn't look very good. Not just because their visuals were made with the PS1 in mind, but the pre-rendered backgrounds are miniscule by today's standards. On a modern TV they would look super stretched-out/pixely.

2.) Porting the games to MT Framework probably wouldn't work because of how the backgrounds are. MT Framework has a unique lighting system, but that lighting system would do nothing for what is literally 2D images. REmake and Zero use pre-rendered as well, but they're animated and multi-layered images to help give the illusion of 3D space.

3.) There exists already old PC versions of RE1, RE2, and RE3, however the old PC versions have troubles with modern PCs and they'd likely have to redo the games porting from scratch.

4.) Simply put, the visuals are outdated and outside of making them available for the platform like on the PSN store, there'd be no advantage, and in fact possible disadvantages, to porting the games to the MT Framework Engine.

That is, unless of course they remade the games themselves. I'm not saying they will remake them, I'm very cynical if they would decide to do it. But they have shown they know fans have asked for this, and cite they'd do it if interest was shown, and I can be a bit shifty eye as they've since saying that been porting all of their older RE games to the MT Framework Engine in the last 2 years, probably for multiple reasons but one possibility can't be ruled out they may be looking into if porting or redoing older versions of their RE games in the MT Framework Engine may or may not be a worthwhile investment, and if remaking the second (or even third) game in the series would be worthwhile.

Cutline, if they want RE2 and RE3 on MT, the only way it'd truly work would be to remake the games. Either they will, or they won't.

Thanks y'all (also this might be a good time to re-quote your post Golem in case others come asking the same question).

Hopefully it will be implemented like Parasite Eve. The character keeps moving forward (relative to the character) through the camera change as long as the D-pad is held down. When the player releases the D-pad, the d-pad directions reset and become relative to the screen again. This avoids sudden character direction changes when the camera switches. I think the first Devil May Cry used this scheme as well.
That sounds like a decent way to do this.

Unfortunately that's the one thing that's off to me. Game's supposed to look smokey and grimey. It's just something that SD conveyed better. Ah well.
I know what you're getting at and sometimes that is true, but by and large I think this remaster improves on the atmosphere w/ its changes. Certain details just come out better in higher resolution and make it look creepier.

I think this kind of viewpoint is much more applicable to a lot of horror anime, but that isn't completely relevant here.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Well, do what they can with the pre-rendered backgrounds, but they should deck the hell out of the characters with 850k polygon counts. LOL

Melchiah

The last time I played RE1 was in ~1998.

This remaster comes at perfect time for me. It's gonna be a full on nostalgia blast.

Same here. I bought the director's cut with the PS1 in May 1998, and those were also my first game and gaming system since I sold the Amiga in 1993. It's great to be finally able to play the remake of a game that rekindled my passion for gaming.

Cyrus_Saren

To think I had just started a playthrough of this... apparently I should have just waited and would have been able to skip setting up the Wii again.

Oh well. Been meaning to go through Xenoblade anyway.

Xpliskin

Just imagine Jill face model on RE3 Remake for PS4. Believe!

Project-SERA-960x508.jpg

Real jill is kinda hot.

Is it true that they had to modify her appearance after the success of the RE series ?

By the way, RE4 HD does not run on MT Framework.
The only "old" RE game that has been rewritten using MTF is Code Veronica X HD.
Which means a PC port is very very likely ( I wonder at this point what the hell they're waiting for).

RE4HD PC port is a port of the X360 version, which is a port of the Wii version, which is a port of the GameCube version.

source: disassembly

FLAguy954

what's up with the lightning differences on the characters

i just threw this together real quick but wesker beat me to the punch with a better comparison that definitely shows that the backgrounds are just upscaled stuff w/ a sharpening filter

also im a moron who typed 'upscale' instead of 'downscale'

1C96CLd.jpg

either way i'm buying it because i'm part of the problem and also more importantly i want more resident evils that are good

Dat ambient occlusion, the new model looks great. They even added normal maps to his model.

Jawmuncher

what's up with the lightning differences on the characters

i just threw this together real quick but wesker beat me to the punch with a better comparison that definitely shows that the backgrounds are just upscaled stuff w/ a sharpening filter

also im a moron who typed 'upscale' instead of 'downscale'

1C96CLd.jpg

either way i'm buying it because i'm part of the problem and also more importantly i want more resident evils that are good

It's looking good to me even with the up scales and sharpening filters on it from the other images I've seen.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hahaha, that's what I thought!

I'm curious to see your RE collection, so I could compare. :p

Will share it eventually :) I did make a post about it like a year ago on GAF but back then it was nowhere near as "complete" as it is today!

Real jill is kinda hot.

Is it true that they had to modify her appearance after the success of the RE series ?

By the way, RE4 HD does not run on MT Framework.
The only "old" RE game that has been rewritten using MTF is Code Veronica X HD.
Which means a PC port is very very likely ( I wonder at this point what the hell they're waiting for).

RE4HD PC port is a port of the X360 version, which is a port of the Wii version, which is a port of the GameCube version.

source: disassembly

Yeah, thanks for the confirmation. I knew RE4 HD was not running on MT and I was sure this wouldn't run on it either.

edit: and I need CV on PC dammit. It's the only "main" RE game that is multiplatform and skipped PC!

Well they are certainly modifying some assets. Look at the plant on the right.

image.jpg
l_53db90cd50c2a.jpg

Hopefully we get to see the current gen versions soon.

image.jpg
l_53db90cd50c2a.jpg

Yes the plants have been remade although I have no idea why.

ibyt6uwf6E93fW.gif

edit: perhaps most easier seen on the plant on the left. In the original its leaves are growing upwards. In the remaster they are growing downwards.

image.jpg
l_53db90cd50c2a.jpg

If they can go in and change aspects of the pre-rendered backgrounds, does that mean that it's likely they are doing more than simply up scaling them and actually re-rendering at a higher resolution?

Nemesis_

I still stand by the theory that they're using the PS3 and 360 as some kind of crude testing ground and are focusing the most effort on the XBO/PS4 ports

SoldnerKei

sad this won't come out on Wii U, I guess I'll grab PS3 version because nostalgia, hopefully they add extra features, thou I doubt it

If they can go in and change aspects of the pre-rendered backgrounds, does that mean that it's likely they are doing more than simply up scaling them and actually re-rendering at a higher resolution?

If that were the case one would imagine they would show us screenshots that wouldn't look like filtered upscales!

I wonder whether they are simply working on older (alpha, beta, etc) versions of the backgrounds that didn't make it to the retail GC game and in one of those the plants were slightly different.. Maybe they didn't even realize the background set they are working on has differences compared to the retail GC game. Dunno, just an idea.

No. It just means they are probably going to edit some background like photo manipulation. Some backgrounds are actually 100% static but there's a layer of movement on top of it (projected shadows, fog, haze, lighting/bloom,etc), so you can tweak them without affecting the motion some of them have.

Koozek

Was going to ask the exact same thing^^ Maybe they just had a variation of some screens.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I saw someone on twitter mention there will be options for non-tank controls? Is there a source for this? I've always wanted to try and give the pre-RE4 games a shot, but even when I tried out the original REmake, the shitty fixed camera tank controls kept me from playing more than 10 minutes.

I saw someone on twitter mention there will be options for non-tank controls? Is there a source for this? I've always wanted to try and give the pre-RE4 games a shot, but even when I tried out the original REmake, the shitty fixed camera tank controls kept me from playing more than 10 minutes.

Read the OP!

Also tank controls are the best.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
]
Also tank controls are the best.

I can understand why people like them, but I just can't put up with it. Behind the character tank controls where you can control the camera are fine but the fixed camera games are what kill it for me. I get people have nostalgia for it but if I spend more time fighting against the controls to do what I want than actually playing the game, I'm not going to play it for very long. So glad to read that in the OP. Thanks!

Seik

Banned
So I just read that it's releasing in November 2014 for the JAP PS3/360 releases...

I'm so fucking hyped now, my body was anticipating 2015, but knowing this I'm still under the shock!

Will pre-order that sweet LE tonight fo sho!

I can understand why people like them, but I just can't put up with it. Behind the character tank controls where you can control the camera are fine but the fixed camera games are what kill it for me. I get people have nostalgia for it but if I spend more time fighting against the controls to do what I want than actually playing the game, I'm not going to play it for very long. So glad to read that in the OP. Thanks!

I played my first classic RE (RE2) only last year, an I was fucking TERRIBLE at the tank controls. After sticking with it I got totally used to them though, and now I can dodge zombies like a pro. Don't let tank controls be a barrier I entry! Trust me, you'll adjust to them.

Grief.exe

Has a slight learning curve, but once you get used to them they become just fine. They are really perfect for these type of games, they were specifically balanced to include those type of controls. I haven't played RE1, but I noticed while playing the recent PC release of RE4 that the game would be fundamentally broken if controlled any other way.

Anung

Un Rama
Has a slight learning curve, but once you get used to them they become just fine. They are really perfect for these type of games, they were specifically balanced to include those type of controls. I haven't played RE1, but I noticed while playing the recent PC release of RE4 that the game would be fundamentally broken if controlled any other way.

I hope they don't mess with the controls. Tank controls are fine. Messing with them will kill a big part of the atmosphere.

I'm confused about the backgrounds. In some of the screenshots, they look higher res and have more detail while in others, they look upscaled with filters applied over them.

Do we know if they're actually retouching these or are my eyes deceiving me?

Yes the plants have been remade although I have no idea why.

ibyt6uwf6E93fW.gif

edit: perhaps most easier seen on the plant on the left. In the original its leaves are growing upwards. In the remaster they are growing downwards.

They actually added another plant in the remaster.

Edit: The one closest to Forest.

Top Bottom