• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

PowderedToast

But it was. I was very young but I can still remember how mad I was. It wasn't just Mikami, whole Capcom really tainted what the series once was. First CV only came for the Dreamcast and then the Exclusives for the GameCube. There series popularity was never the same again after. Just look at how many RE games we had from the original 96 to 02 and then how many we had since. If it wasn't for the shitty movies that spread the name-fame the series would be dead by now.

huh? RE still sells really well. wasn't 5 the most successful of the entire series?

I wonder why this game is 720P on PS360 when the models (which obviously won't be as detailed as RE5/RE6 models in terms of shader detail and such) are the only thing being rendered.

Probably because the higher the resolution the worse the upscaling process of the backgrounds looks. At 720p they can get away with an okay look and the excuse of "but that's the standard resolution of the old consoles".

On the PC/XB1/PS4 versions which will have to support 1080p and are also set to launch later (I wonder why is that...) the upscaling's shortcomings will be pretty evident.

MADGAME

Does RE Archives on Wii look any better than REmake on GCN?

REmake looked great on my old CRT tv which I no longer have, but I've only played archives on modern lcd and led tv's and in my humble opinion looked terrible. If you have a Wii U and don't mind a small screen, it does look decent on the Wii U gamepad.

Jill's ass looked pretty good in the game. I'm glad to see it return.
It's going to be flat with crushed blacks. A round, jaggie-less derriere dlc package will be available. :p

Some tests I did.

Original background from the GC disc:

agtxxo.jpg

1080p simple upscaling:

http://abload.de/img/dumb2rrwg.jpg

1080p smart upscaling:

http://abload.de/img/smarty2pe1.jpg

1080p smart upscaling with enhancements:

http://abload.de/img/f2i5y67.jpg

Obviously the simple upscaling doesn't cut it. But what would you prefer? The blurrier but more natural looking smart upcaling or the further enhanced but more artificial looking one? -> http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/86873

edit: this is a nice compromise I did between the two:

new13o1r.jpg

What do you think?
I like the image with smart enhancements, looks definitively sharper and "clear". Sweet.

Capcom should hire the wizards who can launch Dolphin.
I agree on some games changing settings back and forth to get a game to play without audio or visual hiccups or even at all can be cumbersome, but in my opinion very worth it. The Dolphin Wiki lists ideal settings for each game which will minimize the pain.

djshauny

Banned
I really like Mikami, but the commercial failure of REmake is because it released on the gamecube. Most of the fan base was already on a sony platform, and the gamecube sold like shit. What did he expect? Why did he make a fucking Capcom five deal? What was he thinking?

My thoughts exactly.

No. The Wii U has the Wii instruction set to enable BC, but it's not an upgraded Wii.

What you've suggested will land you with something that already exists:

Z8Ytemc.jpg

So how does it enable the wii games? its not emulation right?so the hardware is there. And the wii is based on the GC hardware....

amar212

I really like Mikami, but the commercial failure of REmake is because it released on the gamecube. Most of the fan base was already on a sony platform, and the gamecube sold like shit. What did he expect? Why did he make a fucking Capcom five deal? What was he thinking?

This.

OK, I was the madman that actually bought GameCube because of the REMake and REZero - and RE4 - and those are the only GameCube games I have, together with the console.

But they missed 90% of potential market because of that deal.

ArjanN

You know what I mean -_-

PS1/Dir. Cut/Dual Shock/Saturn/GameCube/DS, now this. I want 2 and 3 to be given some love. They are better games too.

2 maybe, 3 not really.

And IMO REmake is different enough from the original that I basically consider it a different game.

heyf00L

So how does it enable the wii games? its not emulation right?so the hardware is there. And the wii is based on the GC hardware....

At least for the CPU it's like how a new Intel i5 can run old Pentium code. The Wii U processor (Espresso) understands GCN instructions. The difficulty is that while PC games anticipate various hardware and so use internal clocks for things, sometimes console games can base things on the consistent CPU clock, so Espresso probably underclocks to run Wii/GCN games.

The Wii U's GPU (Latte) has components from the old Wii/GCN chip built into it. That chip (Flipper) was made by ArtX before ATI bought them, and so has rather unique architecture.

I agree on some games changing settings back and forth to get a game to play without audio or visual hiccups or even at all can be cumbersome, but in my opinion very worth it. The Dolphin Wiki lists ideal settings for each game which will minimize the pain.

I was a bit unclear with my snark. Dolphin is actually a really easy emulator to use.

I was referring to taking Dolphin screenshots to minimize what Capcom is trying to do.

nOoblet16

Probably because the higher the resolution the worse the upscaling process of the backgrounds looks. At 720p they can get away with an okay look and the excuse of "but that's the standard resolution of the old consoles".

On the PC/XB1/PS4 versions which will have to support 1080p and are also set to launch later (I wonder why is that...) the upscaling's shortcomings will be pretty evident.
No I don't think that's the reason otherwise the PS4/One/PC version won't support 1080P.

Also remember that eventhought the PS360 version render at 720P they still get upscaled to 1080P by the TVs (Most TVs out there are 1080P I assume)

At least for the CPU it's like how a new Intel i5 can run old Pentium code. The Wii U processor (Espresso) understands GCN instructions. The difficulty is that while PC games anticipate various hardware and so use internal clocks for things, sometimes console games can base things on the consistent CPU clock, so Espresso probably underclocks to run Wii/GCN games.

The Wii U's GPU (Latte) has components from the old Wii/GCN chip built into it. That chip (Flipper) was made by ArtX before ATI bought them, and so has rather unique architecture.

So i assume porting to the wiiu shouldn't be an issue budget wise.

Toxa

This.

OK, I was the madman that actually bought GameCube because of the REMake and REZero - and RE4 - and those are the only GameCube games I have, together with the console.

But they missed 90% of potential market because of that deal.

same for me but i've bought 4 more games with , rogue leader games, MGS TTS and james bond
not a single nintendo games :D

Sadist

I can't believe people are still salty about the Capcom 5 deal from a decade ago. Jeez guys.

Mikami just didn't like working on PS2, that's all. Resident Evil Moving to Gamecube was one of the reasons for me to pick up the system. I was actually looking into buying the series for PSone but afterwards that happened. Couldn't be happier with the purchase back then.

Holy shit that's a nice find !
Forest (that's his name?) has been moved to the right.
The plants' have been replaced (the one on the right was aliasing even in the original version).

I can't tell if this has been done using image editing or if the actual pot and herbs have been altered in the original 3D scene file.

I would go with the former.
I did some quick digging in the orginal GC files and the other find was this:
gKNAWX8.jpg

ztbTOJo.jpg

36bqe0j.jpg

xytQiTH.jpg

zq96RKD.jpg

The mansion was textured with close-ups in mind, they used very high-res textures for the time. It's basically a CG movie of the 2000-era.
I thought that maybe they tried and there were too many artifacts because the source material wasn't of enough quality, but no.

What this means is, rerendering wouldn't bring about too many artifacts of whatever kind(even if it did they could just upscale the source textures instead ... but I guess that's too much work). The source material is high-res itself. Just look at the material applied on the "S" shapes in the garden and the level of detail even when the viewpoint is really close to the chair.

This is really maddening because we get upscaled images that are retouched by hand instead. Well I guess we should be happy it's getting ported.
Background-wise, this is nothing more than a quick job (for now ?).

There's the occasional lowres texture.

Original:

a0vubq.jpg

2x upscaled:

s5fu4f.jpg

The wallpaper texture is quite lowres.

Some images are very sharp and upscale better:

a3kuzq.jpg

2x:

sjwuw7.jpg

Is a shame that they didn't save the backgrounds in higher resolutions, even if it was of no use back then.

Yep, where I work (not the game industry) we have files saved from '95. On tape (useless) discs and recently transferred them to new hdd's, mostly pictures and layout files.

It stands to question if we will ever need them again but they also dont need much space on a modern hdd. It was really strange for me to read that it was/is common to just dump them (not take care of them)

MADGAME

I was a bit unclear with my snark. Dolphin is actually a really easy emulator to use.

I was referring to taking Dolphin screenshots to minimize what Capcom is trying to do.

Whoops, sorry. My snark sensors were not yet fully operational at the time of my response. Full caffeinated now, should not be a problem going forward!

Ridley327

Yep, where I work (not the game industry) we have files saved from '95. On tape (useless) discs and recently transferred them to new hdd's, mostly pictures and layout files.

It stands to question if we will ever need them again but they also dont need much space on a modern hdd. It was really strange for me to read that it was/is common to just dump them (not take care of them)

Japanese archival practices are disappointingly inconsistent. Games like the original Famicom version of Final Fantasy III and Panzer Dragoon Saga are gone for good, necessitating techniques like reverse engineering of a copy of the game or simply making an entirely new game based on the original. It's frustrating to watch this unfold, especially with recent examples like the texture data for Kingdom Hearts being lost, which required them to redo all of them for the HD version. That game is just over 10 years old, too, so why are these practices still this poor?

-MD-

Well I don't know why it would sound fine to you because it certainly isn't fine, unless you think there would be no panic or emotion involved in meeting a zombie for the first time.

Did you miss the part that came 2 seconds before what you linked where Jill bursts open the door and runs screaming about the monster coming?

Wow, these look really good. But they're so tiny! Like a background for ants! Even for 2000/2001, could they really master content on something this small? I mean, a dev with access to expensive production monitors at the time would at least go for the 4:3 equivalent of something 2k, right? Kind of like how Hideo Kojima has one of those brutally expensive Sony OLED monitors for making trailers.

Lothar

Banned
Did you miss the part that came 2 seconds before what you linked where Jill bursts open the door and runs screaming about the monster coming?

No, that part was okay. It was the part after that that was terrible. The part I linked to.

Grief.exe

Wow, these look really good. But they're so tiny! Like a background for ants! Even for 2000/2001, could they really master content on something this small? I mean, a dev with access to expensive production monitors at the time would at least go for the 4:3 equivalent of something 2k, right? Kind of like how Hideo Kojima has one of those brutally expensive Sony OLED monitors for making trailers.

They probably did, for example FFIX had higher resolution backgrounds then what was displayed in the game.

The issue is these are ripped from the , there is a good chance Capcom had higher resolution renders and models, but they probably lost them.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How did SE do FFX HD Remaster backgrounds? because those was actually good

Sectus

Well, I don't know if they'd have any reason to render at a resolution higher than what's used in the game. If they have access to all the old development files, they definitely could have re-rendered them though.

Well I don't know what Capcom did but Westwood when creating Blade Runner (back in 1997!):

http://media.bladezone.com/contents/game/BR-PCGame1.html

All this rendering has created over 160 giga-bytes of game art, which might mean some long lunch breaks for the artists if they had to rely on standard machines for rendering. But Westwood has made a significant investment in technology. Forty miles of network wire run through tubes along the building's ceilings. Ninety "farm machines" -- 200MHz Dual P6 boxes with 128M B of RAM apiece -- are stacked up in a locked roam, rendering game art 24 hours a day. Several terabytes (equal to 1,000 gigabytes) of storage space are accessible from every desktop, across 100Mbps Ethernet wire. There's enough technology here to make even the Tyrell Corporation envious.

They rendered at least some of the material at 4400x3300 (or higher)...

http://abload.de/img/4860650211_184e89d701tauqf.jpg

4860658039_cceddcbd751su2j.jpg

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe people are still salty about the Capcom 5 deal from a decade ago. Jeez guys.

Mikami just didn't like working on PS2, that's all. Resident Evil Moving to Gamecube was one of the reasons for me to pick up the system. I was actually looking into buying the series for PSone but afterwards that happened. Couldn't be happier with the purchase back then.

I just don't understand his rationalization for what the series turned into. He developed REmake for the Gamecube which had a small install base, including an even smaller fan base for that type of game. I mean, I guess he couldn't have foreseen that the Gamecube would sell so poorly because the game had to have been in development before the system even launched. Regardless, it was evident that PS1 was popular enough to at least attract a decent install base for the PS2, despite its programming difficulties. Instead he said that RE4 happened because REmake sold poorly? While I am glad that RE4 happened, I just don't understand that jump in logic. He had many factors working against him by choosing to go with the Gamecube that he probably should have just developed for the PS2.

Now, who knows how well it would have sold had it initially released for the PS2. We don't know, but I imagine it would have been much more than the Gamecube version. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he shouldn't conclude that the series was too unpopular to exist in its original state with tank controls and horror if he released to a very small user base to begin with. That's an awful sample. Maybe if Mario made a cameo it would have boosted sales. Mario the zombie.

I just don't understand his rationalization for what the series turned into. He developed REmake for the Gamecube which had a small install base, including an even smaller fan base for that type of game. I mean, I guess he couldn't have foreseen that the Gamecube would sell so poorly because the game had to have been in development before the system even launched. Regardless, it was evident that PS1 was popular enough to at least attract a decent install base for the PS2, despite its programming difficulties. Instead he said that RE4 happened because REmake sold poorly? While I am glad that RE4 happened, I just don't understand that jump in logic. He had many factors working against him by choosing to go with the Gamecube that he probably should have just developed for the PS2.

Now, who knows how well it would have sold had it initially released for the PS2. We don't know, but I imagine it would have been much more than the Gamecube version. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he shouldn't conclude that the series was too unpopular to exist in its original state with tank controls and horror if he released to a very small user base to begin with. That's an awful sample. Maybe if Mario made a cameo it would have boosted sales. Mario the zombie.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind REmake would have sold significantly better had it been released on the PS2.
Mikami and Capcom gambled on their deal with Nintendo. They lost.

Ridley327

Y'now I never thought of it til now, why don't the trees have any leaves on them? It's the middle of July!

Are the trees *gasp* infected??

Or they were going a little Halloweeney with their spooky cemetery feeling.

I think the more likely explanation is that the trees are dead.

News Bot

Banned

Technically the sales of REmake and 0 were to blame, but not really. They sold well considering. The problem at the time was that they weren't really major sellers (0 sold less too). So when BIO4 was originally being developed and began to run into technical difficulties (GameCube couldn't handle it) and began to cost more than they anticipated, CAPCOM dealt him an ultimatum to make the next game sell better or they would shelve the series. In the end, BIO4 only sold marginally better on the GameCube, prompting CAPCOM to have it ported and proving that Mikami's exclusivity deal was a failure.

Basically REmake's sales were a problem, just not directly, like he implies. Mikami simply had no business sense at the time and put all his eggs in a basket with the bottom cut out.

I'd love to know what they built the fully 3D versions of REmake's environments out of that were used in the various Chronicles titles.

Did they rebuild those from scratch?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Technically the sales of REmake and 0 were to blame, but not really. They sold well considering. The problem at the time was that they weren't really major sellers (0 sold less too). So when BIO4 was originally being developed and began to run into technical difficulties (GameCube couldn't handle it) and began to cost more than they anticipated, CAPCOM dealt him an ultimatum to make the next game sell better or they would shelve the series. In the end, BIO4 only sold marginally better on the GameCube, prompting CAPCOM to have it ported and proving that Mikami's exclusivity deal was a failure.

Basically REmake's sales were a problem, just not directly, like he implies. Mikami simply had no business sense at the time and put all his eggs in a basket with the bottom cut out.

I know there are several factors, but yes, REmake's failure to sell as much as they anticipated definitely added fuel to the fire. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much RE2 sold on N64? I'd like to see if that also sold poorly, and why they thought a successor to the N64, as poorly as it sold, would suddenly gain a massive user base. It's not like the N64 was so successful that they thought the Gamecube would ride on its success.

Y'now I never thought of it til now, why don't the trees have any leaves on them? It's the middle of July!

Are the trees *gasp* infected??

Or they were going a little Halloweeney with their spooky cemetery feeling.

Any living organism can be infected by the t-virus it seems. Plant 42 bro.

I'd love to know what they built the fully 3D versions of REmake's environments out of that were used in the various Chronicles titles.

Did they rebuild those from scratch?

Maybe they still had access to the files then.

Or built them up from scratch using the backgrounds as reference (which would be the most work)

Any living organism can be infected by the t-virus it seems. Plant 42 bro.

Oh yah lol

At least they don't spit acid on you

DedValve

Banned

And it's a damn damn shame. The numbers don't lie, RE4 only did slightly better than REmake before moving to the PS2 with bonus content and even then it only sold 1 million more correct?

Imagine if Remake had the same treatment *sigh*.

I really really hope this game sells a lot of units. It coming out for PC gives me hope. Those Steam sales should help a lot. I hope it also comes out for GOG.

Top Bottom