• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil-like games?

NotMSRP

I picked up The Thing from CC. What else is even remotely like a Resident Evil/Silent Hill/Fatal Frame/Clock Tower game?

Kudie

Isn't The Suffering a survival horror game? Or is it an action game? I haven't played it so I really have no idea.

NotMSRP

Well, it also has to be something that I can get at CC. I also picked up RLH. I really don't know if these are even close to survival adventure/action, but I thought they are so that's why I picked them up. What about The Suffering? I'm really too tired to read IGN/Gamespot/etc. This is my chance to branch out to "other games" in thanks to CC.

Gattsu25

Banned
RLH is supposed to suck...i think

Suffering is a pretty good game...a horror 3rd/1st person game - - loved the demo

Alias03

Etermination (PS2) Siren (PS2) Galerians (PSX) Galerians: Ash (PS2) Shadow of Destiny

(sorta) (PS2) Clock Tower 1&2 (PSX) Clock Tower 3 (PS2) Nightmare Creatures (PSX)

Nightmare Creatures 2 (PSX & DC) Ring: Terror's Realm (DC) D (PSX & 3DO) D2 (DC)

Echo Nights (PSX) Dino Crisis (PSX & DC) Dino Crisis 2 (PSX) Dino Crisis 3 (Xbox) Curse

(Xbox) The Suffering (PS2 & Xbox) Eternal Darkness (GCN) The Thing (PS2 & Xbox)

Carrier (DC) Overblood (PSX) Alone in the Dark: The New Nighmare (PSX & DC)

Countdown Vampires (PSX) Illbleed (DC) Evil Dead: Hail to the King (PSX & DC) Deep

Fear (import SAT)

ones to look forward too!

1. Silent Hill 4: The Room
2. Resident Evil 4
3. Call of Cthulhu
4. Obscure
5. Fahrenheit
6. Michigan

HOPE THAT HELPS YA!!!!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Saying The Thing is similar to Resident Evil is really stretching it IMO (but maybe that's what this thread is all about?). The game itself was OK, but not that special. Needed more polish, and some of the concepts were just too underused. It's not even close to being as good as the movie either, but that was expected. :p

And it seems like all the games have already been mentioned...but wasn't Deep Fear released for Saturn rather than DC?

"but wasn't Deep Fear released for Saturn rather than DC?"

Yep, great game too. One of the last survival horror games to feature awesome B Movie level voice acting. :)

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
playing D2 right now, so far, so good. It has some rpg elements, and switches between first and third person view somewhat like sh4. I also recently tried the suffering which was excellent and clock tower 3 which started out good but dropped the ball toward the end when it got really silly and *spoiler* the last boss is captain morgan. Illbleed is also suprisingly enjoyable and is sort of like clock tower. Though I hate the thing with a burning passion. I loved the movie and the game is just some kind of wannabe half life with a terrible team system

nathkenn said:
playing D2 right now, so far, so good. It has some rpg elements, and switches between first and third person view somewhat like sh4

Ahh D2. Makes me wish Eno would return to the industry. No one knew how to rip into companies like he did.

AeroGod

The X-Files game that came out a few months ago is a survival horror game. IMO its not that bad really, just pretty average. Worth a look though I would say, extra especially if you are an X-Files fan.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
seismologist said:
Why? It has the survival part. It's just not a horror game. So it depends on what you like about RE.

Yes, it is about survival...but the actual game is incredibly different.

I recently rented Siren, which is pretty cool despite its problems.

You play as one of several different characters over a three day period. The story is decent, but rather confusing at first. I really like the atmosphere and the music is awesome.

Strangely, I think it reminds me more of Eternal Darkness than any other game.

The Suffering is totally worth a rental at least. I had a great time with that game and it makes excellent use of its location and monster designs.

Alucard

Banned
Uhh....ONIMUSHA. More action-based but still done in a similar style to the RE games. Plus, it's great fun.

cvxfreak

Silent Hill 4 is more RE-like than the other previous games. In fact the second half of the game is a terrible RE clone.

hobbitx

The old Alone in the Dark games are wonderful. If you have an older pc that can support dos games you definitely should get the AitD trilogy set. Before I heard of these, I always figured RE started it all, I guess technically they did as far as mainstream goes though. Finding an old dos game that played just like RE is like finding an old Snes game that plays just like GTA, or an Nes Metal Gea.....no wait......

Top Bottom