• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (PC, X360, PS3) [Update 2: Lots Of New Details]

The RE formula was starting to stale again. It was clear with RE5, that the development at Capcom just didn't know how to push that formula forward anymore, despite RE4's amazing rebirth for the series. I applaud Capcom for trying a new direction. Let's hope this is the right direction. I always hoped Capcom gave the whole Outbreak concept another try.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to hear that Kawata is producing the title. This man will help deliver the atmosphere and mood we love for this series. Also very, very glad to hear horror still a strong point for this game.

sublimit

Banned
_dementia said:
It's not like Slant 6 can't make a good game. No need to hate.

Well i really don't know.To be honest i haven't played a Slant 6 game before but opinions about them seem to differ a lot...

Ellis Kim

Banned
Come to think of it, where does RE3's Umbrella mercenary hires (like Carlos and gang) fit into this. The whole thing with US spec ops being a team is also a bit odd.

Saty

lol @ GameReactor. These covers are exactly like that of Prey 2 reveal. Let's start a new batch of spoofs!

fna84 said:
That was Hunks team!

So will Mr.X/Nemesis be on your side?
No, they are still rogue and uncontrollable. It states that you will face BOWs and there's an image of them facing Mr. X. However, it said that there were 3 factions that you could control. The USS, US specs ops and BoWs.

Most of the pics look nice and I like how Raccoon city has been recreated but the zombie meatshield looks even dumber than I imagined.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Lord_Byron28 said:
No, they are still rogue and uncontrollable. It states that you will face BOWs and there's an image of them facing Mr. X. However, it said that there were 3 factions that you could control. The USS, US specs ops and BoWs.

Most of the pics look nice and I like how Raccoon city has been recreated but the zombie meatshield looks even dumber than I imagined.
But how else would you meat shield a zombie?

This begs for an MS paint thread derail :D

ToyMachine228 said:
The RE formula was starting to stale again. It was clear with RE5, that the development at Capcom just didn't know how to push that formula forward anymore, despite RE4's amazing rebirth for the series. I applaud Capcom for trying a new direction. Let's hope this is the right direction. I always hoped Capcom gave the whole Outbreak concept another try.

Capcom milked the RE1 formula for 3 sequels, which produced very memorable games like RE2 and Code Veronica. With Resident Evil 4, Capcom managed to do the impossible and rebooted a franchise. All Capcom had to do was produce a few more titles with the same framework laid by RE4. In my opinion the introduction of co-op to RE5 was the worst decision on how to make a sequel to a masterpiece.

And now this new title is further exploring the co-op component.

Ellis Kim said:
But how else would you meat shield a zombie?

This begs for an MS paint thread derail :D
I guess I didn't actually visualize the thing in my head. I imagined him holding the zombie up from the back not wrapping his arm right in front of its mouth.

Ellis Kim said:
Come to think of it, where does RE3's Umbrella mercenary hires (like Carlos and gang) fit into this. The whole thing with US spec ops being a team is also a bit odd.

They were like, the 2nd wave, "mop up the rest" sorta deal I guess.

Mr_Zombie

fna84 said:
That was Hunks team!

So will Mr.X/Nemesis be on your side?
Nemesis' order is to kill S.T.A.R.S. If you get in its way, it will (try to) kill you whether you with Umbrella or not (see: Mikhail, Nicholai, Carlos).
I suppose T-00 (aka Mr. X) is the same; their objectives was to collect G-virus and destroy all obstacles.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
Capcom milked the RE1 formula for 3 sequels, which produced very memorable games like RE2 and Code Veronica. With Resident Evil 4, Capcom managed to do the impossible and rebooted a franchise. All Capcom had to do was produce a few more titles with the same framework laid by RE4. In my opinion the introduction of co-op to RE5 was the worst decision on how to make a sequel to a masterpiece.

And now this new title is further exploring the co-op component.
Are you honestly blaming co-op as being the thing that ruins RE4's formula?

Criminal Upper said:
They were like, the 2nd wave, "mop up the rest" sorta deal I guess.
No, they were used as test subjects. The only reason why Umbrella deployed them was to see how effective the BoW's were. The team you play as is in this game is supposed to be the specialized team that Umbrella wants to survive and complete their mission.

Mr_Zombie

Ellis Kim said:
It's kinda strange that Capcom Umbrella decided to send in another group of people, when they've already sent UBCS mercenaries to collect data and destroy evidences (including people) of Umbrella's wrong-doing. I think that a UBCS team would also be better; I hate faceless characters :/

Moostache

Chinner said:
Don't really care; that doesn't mean I'm going to dismiss it, but I suspect it'll probably just be dudebros with zombies.

Like that description....Dudebros with Zombies....nice!

Does that mean that this game will have an "extra" minigame section called "Paramilitaries" that you fight instead of Zombie mode?

Zenith

Banned
Ellis Kim said:

UBCS were expendable mercenaries. USS are like inner sanctum stuff.

So... That's the direction they're taking with the designs?

Maybe it's just first impressions, but there's absolutely nothing about those that say "resident evil" to me at all.

I'll still hold out hope for the game, but I'm really not liking how this is starting to look.

Ellis Kim said:

Yes, I am. The Resident Evil games were memorable to me because you spent a huge portion of the games alone. Whenever you met up with other characters it was a momentary sense of relief.

Introducing a character that accompanies you takes away that tension. RE5 could have been a much better game if it had been designed for Chris to be alone throughout the game. The co-op mechanic could then have been built on top of that by allowing the second character in. Instead, the game is designed for two players and it greatly suffers when played by only one person.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Co-op ruined Biohazard 5 because it turned the game from "FEAR THE SUNLIGHT" (the original concept) into "LOL ACTION! Oh, and we have a black chick to be progressive! ENJOY!"

Blue Castle talked with Slant Six, and they were well known for their online games and their coding skills.

:lol Or: The gaiety derived from your translated interview exceeded my self-control tolerances, good Capcom employee! You are to be applauded for your terribad team!

pulga

Banned
Ellis Kim said:

Duh. Introducing co-op to the series conditioned everything from level design to atmosphere. Horrible idea.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
Yes, I am. The Resident Evil games were memorable to me because you spent a huge portion of the games alone. Whenever you met up with other characters it was a momentary sense of relief.

Introducing a character that accompanies you takes away that tension. RE5 could have been a much better game if it had been designed for Chris to be alone throughout the game. The co-op mechanic could then have been built on top of that by allowing the second character in. Instead, the game is designed for two players and it greatly suffers when played by only one person.
I would say that that would have a lot more to do with how you, as a player, plays video games than it does with co-op's incorporation. There are a lot of people who alleviate tension, or don't even get to enjoy tension, by the fact alone of not playing it under "desirable" conditions.

Tension in RE5 existed, but co-op being built in from the ground up wasn't what ruined RE5, at least not until the final boss.

Ellis Kim said:
I guess you're not a big fan of Hunk.
I like the character Hunk, but the whole point of the dude was that he was a clean-up guy and under his umbrella combat gear and gasmask he was a normal dude, not some crazy psycho with a nanosuit.
That's the whole thing about Hunk, he's awesome because he's the most stoic Resident Evil character and gets shit done with a really normal arsenal of weapons and yet he is just a normal bloke. I guess you probably didn't even see his RE3 epilogue?
He's not some kind of super-crazed, edgy psychokiller like those new characters.
Do you want me to go on?
Your reply is like calling someone out on hating Max Payne because he got a problem with baldy Payne from MP 3.
Get it?

Amalthea

Banned
A western-developed Resident Evil and surprise, surprise; now even Hunk wears a Hoodie.
Good lord, Mikami's head must be rotating in its grave.

Ellis Kim

Banned
ViralMarketingDrone said:
I like the character Hunk, but the whole point of the dude was that he was a clean-up guy and under his umbrella combat gear and gasmask he was a normal dude, not some crazy psycho with a nanosuit.
That's the whole thing about Hunk, he's awesome because he's the most stoic Resident Evil character and gets shit done with a really normal arsenal of weapons and yet he is just a normal bloke. I guess you probably didn't even see his RE3 epilogue?
He's not some kind of super-crazed, edgy psychokiller like those new characters.
Do you want me to go on?
Your reply is like calling someone out on hating Max Payne because he got a problem with baldy Payne from MP 3.
Get it?
Who said anything about a nanosuit? There's only one guy with some sort of cloaking system. Cloaking systems exist today, and we're hardly MGS4 cyberpunk.

Also, I guess you didn't play Hunk's chapter in RE Umbrella Chronicles.

Ellis Kim said:
Who said anything about a nanosuit? There's only one guy with some sort of cloaking system. Cloaking systems exist today
Haha, no.

The whole problem I got with this game is that they're taking the typical GRITTIER, EDGIER, NOW WITH MORE PSYCHOPATH KILLERS angle to it.
Hunk was a normal guy and fit the scenario well.
Those new characters look like a mix of hostel aesthetics with rob liefeld, killzone and call of duty thrown into the blender.
It tries to appeal to the lowest common denominator of the x-box live audience.
Using a zombie as meatshield, dodgy art-direction and a team with a record that reads like a brown stain in a pair of discared undies.
I could understand if people are cautiously optimistic because capcom is helping out or because they like the scenario of the game. But on the other hand you gotta accept that people might be very sceptical about the whole thing.
To me it's shaping up to be another dreadlocked Bionic Commando.

Dascu

Question: Survival horror doesn't sell very well, except for Dead Space 2. Is going towards a full shooter a natural evolution for the series?

Capcom Producer: In terms of sales, survival horror isn't as popular as it once was. Having said that, I love Dead Space. Besides this game, I am working on a survival horror game. We aren't making this game to run away from survival horror, but to bring new challenges to the world of Resident Evil. I wouldn't say it's a natural evolution as much as I always wanted to do something a little different.
1) The reason DS2 sold well is because it had a big publicity campaign and because it's mostly an action game with horror elements rather than a hardcore surival-horror game like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Besides, the latter sold nicely through word-of-mouth, proving that even a real survival-horror game can do well financially.
2) He'd better be working on a (spiritual) sequel to Haunting Ground.

Looking good, lots of talk though for a game made by a team that has a bad record. Can't wait to see this in motion, I really hope its good.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
Looking forward to this one.

Left 4 Dead is the best horror game to come out of the last few gens, so I'm definitely up for another team zombie shooter. Putting it in Racoon City is a pretty good idea too; lots potential for some cool Romero scenes.

Zenith

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
Who said anything about a nanosuit? There's only one guy with some sort of cloaking system. Cloaking systems exist today, and we're hardly MGS4 cyberpunk.

Not really, and certainly not in 1998.

Vamphuntr

TheSeks said:
:lol Or: The gaiety derived from your translated interview exceeded my self-control tolerances, good Capcom employee! You are to be applauded for your terribad team!

Indeed. Dead Rising 2 online mode sucked ass. The coop blew because every single time the host went to the bathroom to save the game it would kick the other player on the 360 version. You had to reinvite your friend over and over again.

Saw the scans. Think it looks really good, and I'm excited about the prospect of seeing the Raccoon City incident with modern graphics and co-op play.

Squire

Banned
Feindflug said:
Sounds kinda interesting I guess...I'm really curious to see what engine they're using for this game (UE3?) - as a collaboration it can't use the MT Framework though which is sad.

Yes it can. Blue Castle used MT Framework when developing Dead Rising 2, before Capcom bought them and turned them into Capcom Games Vancouver. It can and probably does.

Not that that should inspire anymore confidence than anyone already has/hasn't.

Inorigo said:
Yes it can. Blue Castle used MT Framework when developing Dead Rising 2, before Capcom bought them and turned them into Capcom Games Vancouver. It can and probably does.

I thought Blue Castle used UE3 and there is no english documentation for Framework?

ezekial45

Banned
Inorigo said:

No, they used their own engine for the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Inorigo said:

I thought Blue Castle used UE3 and there is no english documentation for Framework?
Blue Castle used their own internal engine.

Xater

They did not use UE3 but they also didn't use Framework. They had their own engine.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Zenith said:
Not really, and certainly not in 1998.
You have to keep in mind that the late 90's was a time when things in current events like the human genome project that inspired MGS1's main plot was happening. Its not beyond the stretch of the imagination to suggest that the tech they're using couldn't exist at that time in the RE universe.

To say that Umbrella could design a virus that made zombies and superhumans, but couldn't make a prototype cloaking system for its spec ops unit, is a bit silly.

Haha, no.

The whole problem I got with this game is that they're taking the typical GRITTIER, EDGIER, NOW WITH MORE PSYCHOPATH KILLERS angle to it.
Hunk was a normal guy and fit the scenario well.
Those new characters look like a mix of hostel aesthetics with rob liefeld, killzone and call of duty thrown into the blender.
It tries to appeal to the lowest common denominator of the x-box live audience.
Using a zombie as meatshield, dodgy art-direction and a team with a record that reads like a brown stain in a pair of discared undies.
I could understand if people are cautiously optimistic because capcom is helping out or because they like the scenario of the game. But on the other hand you gotta accept that people might be very sceptical about the whole thing.
To me it's shaping up to be another dreadlocked Bionic Commando.
You keep insisting that Hunk was a "normal guy." He was hardly a "normal guy."

Also, gas masks + leather = Rob Liefield? Really? I don't see millions of pouches.

Zenith

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
To say that Umbrella could design a virus that made zombies and superhumans, but couldn't make a prototype cloaking system for its spec ops unit, is a bit silly.

ugh at that argument. Area 51 aliens and magic are both silly but you would not want them to cross genres like they did in Indiana Jones. Same goes for a Terminator appearing in Lord of the Rings. They just don't gel together.

And then there's the fact that none of Umbrella's troops have used invisibilty since. Most out there they had were the genetically-enhanced Cleaners in Gun Survivor.

Raide

Just seen some of the scans...still not 100% sure but it does look dark and depressing, with zombies in it!

I wonder if they are going to do a load of customisation or just the basics? Arrggghh! Need some footage now!

Top Bottom