• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (PC, X360, PS3) [Update 2: Lots Of New Details]

commedieu

Banned
stump said:
Here's stump's interview summary/translation from one of the French magazines:

Question: Why a team-based third person shooter?

Question: Why use an external developer? Why Slant Six?

Question: Survival horror doesn't sell very well, except for Dead Space 2. Is going towards a full shooter a natural evolution for the series?

I don't like that Resident Evil the survival game, has taken back seat to mindless shooting. I wouldn't mind the shooting if there was still a deep story, health considerations, and a lot of puzzles. Remember when Resident Evil was hard? And annoying at times? But man did it feel great to pass those portions.

I'm in the minority I realize. I just hope that someone out there can keep the ball rolling with this genre. I tried Amnesia recently, great find & good game. Slow, but still more enjoyable than RE5. DeadSpace is ok, just doesn't capture the world of survival horror like night trap & re1.

That is all.

Colocho

Banned
So we get to "change" Resident Evil history, what does that mean anyway? unless the changes we make alter in some form all the previous games as well, I don't see how these changes matter at all.

Concept17

Nirolak said:
If I'm understanding it right, there's a singleplayer campaign that can be played in four player co-op, and several (competitive?) multiplayer modes they're not unveiling yet.

So all this info we're currently getting is for a single player campaign? That you can potentially play with up to 4 people, but otherwise have AI running around with you similar to L4D?

Everything sounds awesome so far, just need to understand the modes and such, especially if there are competitive ones planned. If its JUST a single player campaign then blech.

Raide

commedieu said:
I don't like that Resident Evil the survival game, has taken back seat to mindless shooting. I wouldn't mind the shooting if there was still a deep story, health considerations, and a lot of puzzles. Remember when Resident Evil was hard? And annoying at times? But man did it feel great to pass those portions.

I'm in the minority I realize. I just hope that someone out there can keep the ball rolling with this genre. I tried Amnesia recently, great find & good game. Slow, but still more enjoyable than RE5. DeadSpace is ok, just doesn't capture the world of survival horror like night trap & re1.

That is all.

Hopefully they add some kind of Hardcore mode which drops the ammo and ups the damage etc, that would be pretty awesome in co-op.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Concept17 said:
So all this info we're currently getting is for a single player campaign? That you can potentially play with up to 4 people, but otherwise have AI running around with you similar to L4D?

Everything sounds awesome so far, just need to understand the modes and such, especially if there are competitive ones planned. If its JUST a single player campaign then blech.
I believe you are right, and there definitely seem to be competitive multiplayer modes planned.

"Question: Why a team-based third person shooter?

Capcom Producer: As you know it's our fifteenth anniversary, which is a long time for a video game series... bottom of this answer cut off by watermark. Some players came to the series when it made a turn towards action (still with horror elements, though). This design led the series towards TPS. How do you attract shooter fans? ...
... continued... Coop, Multiplayer... These are particularly important aspects. So it was important for us to do them. I want to clarify something, even though it's a shooter, there are still tons of horror elements."

They list multiplayer separately and they mention special forces as an opposing force to the USS (the people talked about so far) in the details, which I believe are the playable opposition faction in multiplayer.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Lonely1 said:
PC? Interest +1. Current level at 1.

It absolutely amazes me, that despite dozens and dozens and posts from fans crying out for PC releases of Capcom games, they contunue to ignore us. This game is a good start, but doesn't make up for the utter lack of respect Capcom has for its PC fan base, giving us the middle finger when it came to RE5 Gold Edition, Super Street Fighter and MvC3. They really have their priorities all fucked up. Now we're getting what looks to be best Mercenaries related game from Cacom, and they put in the fucking handheld.

I am really starting to hate this company with every last fiber of my body.

ezekial45

Banned
badcrumble said:
Weird that Umbrella's apparently spending a special hit squad after a rookie cop on his first day on the job.

Maybe there's more too it. Like they see him running around and they have to eliminate him to take out any witnesses? I don't know, but i do agree.

Raide

ezekial45 said:
Maybe there's more too it. Like they see him running around and they have to eliminate him to take out any witnesses? I don't know, but i do agree.

Maybe they are sent there more to get rid of data linked to the outbreak and Leon just gets added to the list of people to silence. :D

I can see it being mostly collecting information/doing corporate stuff and then Leon etc appears and its your job to kill them. Kinda like a boss character that you have to finish. lol

Jubbly

Thanks Nirolak, nice job updating the OP. I personally am interested in this game and hope that everyone gives the devs some slack. That awful jetpack game showed Capcom that they need to offer more support to third party devs so I'm hoping that this will be good, especially so on PC.

I'm interested. I mean, this is spinoff like Dead Aim, Outbreak or the Chronicles games. IF they fuck it up, it won't ruin anything because it's not the main series.

Kandinsky

Lakitu said:
Gamereactor-Denmark.jpg

I've got a feeling this guy is voiced by Steve Buscemi.
Guy?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
badcrumble said:
Weird that Umbrella's apparently spending a special hit squad after a rookie cop on his first day on the job.
Fictional cops usually have it pretty rough when they first start and when they're about to retire.

badcrumble said:

To be fair, it does say it's one of the main missions. I expect the team is sent into R.C to obtain something and you happen across Leon and have to kill him so as there's no survivors/witnesses.

params7

Banned
Real fan of the classics here, RE3 is my fav and CVX is my second fav RE of all times.

But I was also one of those who bought Socom Confrontations. I seriously hope Slant Six just make a playable game (doubtful) and contain the "lore" of Re2/Re3 (story driven games with actually good storylines of which a lot was presented through diaries of scientists of Umbrella Corp, no dumbing down please). I hope the events in this game don't go against the chronology of the events of Re2 and Re3 and that others besides Leon make some kind of an appearance even if a cameo. Would love to see Jill, Carlos or Claire.

Otherwise, I don't care even if they make this into a Re4/Re5 style shooter.

Okay this actually does sound rather fantastic. Edit: Just saw the scans and it looks as good as it sounds too. A real cut above that shitty DmC game.

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
Meaning that it will be fucking awesome and GOTY like BC was?
Hopefully ;)

I like you.

G-Fex

I'm opportunistic to this. I'm open minded to these new ideas so long as they're not forced co-op maybe it'll be a swell game. I'm just fine in seeing how this and silent hill downpour come along.

In fact it's pretty fun anticipating such things.

G-Fex

shadyspace said:
Uh, I was strongly encouraged by RE4 to not have my player character's head cut off with a chainsaw.

but it was a magical lesson to be learned. Chainsaws kill on first impact!

TBH I'd rather kill claire/RPD cops/umbrella guys like Carlos/etc.

But I suppose Leon's fine too.

brandonh83 said:
Hopefully RE6 follows suit.

That's what everyone's hoping.

I can totally see Operation Raccoon City becoming the shooter-focused L4D-esque horror spin off, while the main saga follows the path Dead Space's shown, while both go back to the original aesthetic.

faptacular

Indeed.

Gravijah

G-Fex said:

Why would you kill Claire? You're sick.

You're sick.

G-Fex said:

I haven't played RE3 in God know's how long so my memory on this is fuzzy at best, wasn't Carlos pretty much one of the dudes you'd be playing as in this (not literally of course, but an Umbrella "clean-up" agent)? Why would you be going after him?

G-Fex

shadyspace said:
I haven't played RE3 in God know's how long so my memory on this is fuzzy at best, wasn't Carlos pretty much one of the dudes you'd be playing as in this (not literally of course, but an Umbrella "clean-up" agent)? Why would you be going after him?

Fun

Gravijah said:
Why would you kill Claire? You're sick.

You're sick.

Claire had her game, Leon had his game, leon's was better.

Plus the dude's been punished already too much.

Either way it'll be BRILLIANT to stop either one, from letting Resident Evil 2 take place. Imagine the alternate outcomes!

If they'd let you fight Birkin and stuff it'd be aweeeeeesome!

Gravijah

G-Fex said:
Fun

Claire had her game, Leon had his game, leon's was better.

Plus the dude's been punished already too much.

Either way it'll be BRILLIANT to stop either one, from letting Resident Evil 2 take place. Imagine the alternate outcomes!

If they'd let you fight Birkin and stuff it'd be aweeeeeesome!

You're making me giddy when I shouldn't be. :(

cvxfreak

I'm not sure why Leon is going to be the main focus of the game. It really should be Jill as the main target instead.

Leon didn't know what he was in the middle of in RE2. He only learned of how everything came together at the end of the game. Why would a dedicated team want to go after Leon?

G-Fex

cvxfreak said:
I'm not sure why Leon is going to be the main focus of the game. It really should be Jill as the main target instead.

Leon didn't know what he was in the middle of in RE2. He only learned of how everything came together at the end of the game. Why would a dedicated team want to go after Leon?

Are you ready for this?

You're not but..

Time Travel.

And then like the new MK, every new Resident Evil game will subsequently take place after the racoon city incident (After? It'll still be going on cause nobody will nuke it ;) )

Luigiv

cvxfreak said:

Well it is a non-canonical spinoff so *shrug*.

So they gave the series to a developer who has worked on one of the very few 3D games with even WORSE controls than the original Resident Evil titles? Okay.

Just saw the scans.

Like most in here I’m not sold yet. The developer has me worried, but the scans do look quite good. It has potential.

I need to see gameplay before I get excited. Seeing the over the shoulder view in one of the scans is a good start...

Flying_Phoenix said:
So they gave the series to a developer who has worked on one of the very few 3D games with even WORSE controls than the original Resident Evil titles? Okay.

How's Socom Confrontation though?

It can't really be worse than RE5 control-wise.

G-Fex

Rash said:
I never played Darkside Chronicles, but didn't that game mess with RE2 Leon as well?

I thought it was all about Leon too.

Didn't get far in it cause the cam is shakier than 10 jason bourne movies.

ezekial45

Banned
industrialfan225 said:
I don't get something, when farming out their biggest IPs, why would they use such mediocre developers.
Go ahead and name a few top tier devs that are still independent, not developing anything at the time, not tied up in exclusive contracts, and are proficient with action games.

cvxfreak said:

Nemesis is taking care of that.

Top Bottom