• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So I just started raid mode and I'm loving it. This is probably a dumb question, but what does charge consumable items mean? Does it mean that it'll replenish your ammo/herbs?

Jebral

So I hear that this RE.net patch has gone live, and it's plastered all over the website like they're damn proud of it... But as a PC user I have 100% no clue how to link my game to it and get any use out of. Either it's not live yet for the PC, I'm stupid, or a combination of the latter two.

Hmm.

jediyoshi

So I hear that this RE.net patch has gone live, and it's plastered all over the website like they're damn proud of it... But as a PC user I have 100% no clue how to link my game to it and get any use out of. Either it's not live yet for the PC, I'm stupid, or a combination of the latter two.

Is the RE net link live for PC? Can't seem to find it.

Yep, still doesn't look live on PC. Maybe we shouldn't be surprised PC isn't up to feature parity again.

AdaWong

I think it's safe to say this will be Barry's last appearance. 100% last playable appearance (at least when it comes to canon.)

Just finished it and I have to say that I enjoyed it overall, but
having that one little scene indicate what kind of ending you get is beyond stupid

Feonix

Just beat the game and got the bad ending. I know how to get the good ending, but I have a quick question. What's the quickest way to get straight to the good ending? Do I have to
play the whole campaign over again just to get to that one part with Moira? Or do I only have to replay Claire ep3 and Barry ep4? Or is there some way to skip straight to the fight with Neil, and then skip to the end of Barry's chapter? The less amount of replaying I have to do the happier I'll be. =)

Anyway, that bad ending though. Dayum!

Who would have thought this would be one of the best Resident Evil games? XD

Jesus christ, those Jim sterling reviews are such utter shit. He's still raving about capcom being greedy fucks about making the game episodic, and the microtransactions.

While the raid mode dlc is a bit gross, it's really not anything you absolutely need. If Capcom had paywalled some of the other features in the game than I would understand but with campaign alone you get an insane amount of value for $25 if you bought the digital pass. There's countdown mode, invisibility mode, higher difficulties, collectibles, and they actually give you good rewards with cool new weapons that you can use. Tackle that with raid mode and it's a hell of a value for $25, even at $40 it's still a good buy.

I have zero problems with Capcom wanting to make a few extra bucks off of this one with what they have already given.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
this should be in raid mode

11056546_950206851665636_8224253319739420309_o.jpg

SeanTSC

Got my Platinum! Now I just need to S Rank the No Escape difficulty. >< It's really too bad you can't use any of the weapon unlocks to get S rank on anything.

Ending was great. This game turned out way better than I thought it would be and I've had tons of fun.

Seyavesh

Do I have to
play the whole campaign over again just to get to that one part with Moira? Or do I only have to replay Claire ep3 and Barry ep4? Or is there some way to skip straight to the fight with Neil, and then skip to the end of Barry's chapter? The less amount of replaying I have to do the happier I'll be. =)

you only have to do claire's chapter

not too sure how i feel about ep4. but i had a really bad glitch with the final boss where i straight up couldn't move so that's probably souring me pretty badly

...though i managed to win by just unloading all 30+ magnum rounds i had collected since the start of the game straight into her to trigger the scripts to advance

three things that really bug me:
1. the areas wildly vary in quality between being really great and really terrible in terms of aesthetics. it's pretty crazy how quickly it swings between a really interesting looking place and not

2. the final boss's design is rather underwhelming.
she looks like a really crappy CG monster from a C-tier action/horror movie made in 2008. her design isn't particularly grotesque or super wild as she's basically just a big stretchy lady...
it's quite a disappointment to be honest given some of the stuff they were throwing out beforehand.

3. the music isn't as good as rev1. just a nitpick since rev1 randomly busted out top tier tracks for no real reason. i was really hoping for at least one or two.
the ambient track is actually really overbearing at times for the barry section.. it doesn't really fit very often which is annoying

now those are out of the way:
holy shit i really wish this game got a real budget even more because once again almost all of my issues with the gameplay/designs stem from the budget/console limitation. their heart is definitely in the right place and it shows during the highs of the episode, easily.

also the extra eps have incredible dialogue. play them on casual if you have to because they are great

They really fucked Claire looks in this game.... ENDING SPOILERS
When I saw her in the helicopeter I was like: "WTF is Helena doing here!.

Awesome game, enjoying the extra stuff you get in raid mode with episode 4, too bad about no online.

LeonSPBR

Got the good end and saw the bad one on youtube. Awesome game, easily the best RE since RE4. Recommend for everyone to get a copy, it's worth easily the 25 dollars.

I just now found out the fire spewing put guys weak point, you guys told me it was part of his pot ><
It's actually his legs -_-

I thought there was some scary boss fight for
Barry in Ch. 3? Huh?

The Japanese language uses expletives just as you would in English. The only difference is that the translator has the ability to choose whether to use them or not. For instance:

&#12367;&#12381;&#12387;&#65281; (kuso!) means shit, fuck, motherfucker, fucking hell, jesus, jesus christ, damn it, bloody hell, etc. All depends on context. Billy calls the Queen Leech a "monstrous asshole" in BIO0, an obvious jab at its appearance. Completely altered in the English version to the more pedestrian and nonsensical "Hey, queeny, feast on this!" (why does Billy call it queeny after seeing it as a male?)

Saiaku (&#12373;&#12356;&#12354;&#12367;) actually can be used as a swear. But the English version went above and beyond in an attempt to make it as ridiculous as possible.

The English dialogue "reads a bit better" because the translations posted here so far are fairly literal (literal for English), they haven't been dressed up for English yet, whereas that process has already been done in the English script.

Yes, "kuso" means "shit" and, yes, it's used as a swear. Even so, it's apparently perfectly acceptable for children to say. It's not really a "bad" word in the same way that swear words are in English speaking countries.

Just because "saiaku" can be translated into "shit," doesn't mean it's being "used as a swear." The ALC link kind of proves my point. Words that aren't really anything close to swear words in Japanese translate well into swear words in English because of the differences between our two languages.

I'm talking about playing Bio 2, comparing the spoken English and the Japanese subtitles (I don't own English copies anymore), and determining that the English dialogue is a little better than the subtitles from time to time.

SeanTSC

Decided to say fuck it and play with the Bonus Weapons on No Escape difficulty even though that means I'll have to go back and S Rank it regularly later.

Oh my fucking god, the Katana is so fucking good. And the Bubblegun is hilarous. and Infinite Rocket Launcher is good times.

Man what a great game. I'm really glad I decided to buy it. Barry's Episode 4 was nearly RE4-level good. And that ending
(other than implied Natalia heel turn because fuck that)
was really good.

Also, Moira is love. Never thought I'd like her as much as I did, but she's seriously one of my favorite RE characters now.

What the fuck capcom, what the fuck!
I still can't link my XBox One Account to residentevil.net. Code invalid.
Please tell me I'm able to play co-op without linking my account.

Another great thing this game did was make
Claire relevant to the series plot, despite not being important in the game's plot itself it sets up Claire to be involved if Alex shows up in the series again.

ditching Leon & Ada from my RE7 wish list
now I hoping for Chris & Jill, Claire, Barry with Moira involved in some capacity.

having that one little scene indicate what kind of ending you get is beyond stupid

News Bot

Banned
Yes, "kuso" means "shit" and, yes, it's used as a swear. Even so, it's apparently perfectly acceptable for children to say. It's not really a "bad" word in the same way that swear words are in English speaking countries.

Just because "saiaku" can be translated into "shit," doesn't mean it's being "used as a swear." The ALC link kind of proves my point. Words that aren't really anything close to swear words in Japanese translate well into swear words in English because of the differences between our two languages.

I'm talking about playing Bio 2, comparing the spoken English and the Japanese subtitles (I don't own English copies anymore), and determining that the English dialogue is a little better than the subtitles from time to time.

Japanese children use kuso just like children in English speaking countries use shit or crap. It's the same word.

Most words in Japanese have multiple meanings, it's a language that relies on context particularly for translation. I didn't say saiaku was being used as a swear, just that it can be. It most commonly means "the worst" to describe a thing or situation and is one of Moira's most common lines in REV2. But depending on intention or context, it can also mean "this is fucked up" or any variant thereof.

I've done that for most of the games including BIO2 and the English dialogue made no sense at all half the time, whether it be due to plot errors or just really awkward sentences. You can hear the voice actors struggle with lines at times because they sound like almost broken English or as if they were machine translated. It even contradicted events in the game itself (saying the Tyrant was also a G-Creature).

The only line in the entire series that I've found genuinely sounds better in English is Jill's final line to Nemesis-T in BIO3. When translated literally the original line sounds dull, from what I remember. On its own, the Japanese dialogue is completely serviceable and sounds fine, it's only when you try to translate it that it sounds innocuous. I think BIO4's English script is a little better but that's mainly because Mikami is an awful writer.

Jackpot

Banned
Cant figure out what gun im missing in Raid,
4 pistols(starter,p10(?),Samurai Edge,Triple shot)
4 shotguns(double barrel, assault, Hydra, Drake)
4 sniper(M1891, SVD,Muramasa, anti-material)
3 assault(AK, NSR47, High Roller)
5 magnums(Python,Anaconda, 329, 205m, Pale Rider)
4 sub(MP-AF, AB50, AB50G, Chicago Typewriter).

There's a Glock 18 as DLC.

News Bot

Banned
Oh I don't care these games are mostly written like shit so I'm not hung up on little nuances like that.

They're written fine. But the localizations have been some of the worst in the industry for 20 years.

So did I miss anything or was this a minor plot hole
Claire & Moira are still infected.

There's likely an explanation but it's not included in the game. Would've been simple to just add a section to Claire's chapter four where they get a vaccine, wouldn't be surprised if that was originally part of the game but was cut out. But since t-Phobos is just a weakened t-Virus strain, it probably isn't hard for the BSAA to manufacture a vaccine for it based on the mass-produced t-Vaccine.

They're written fine. But the localizations have been some of the worst in the industry for 20 years.

There's likely an explanation but it's not included in the game. Would've been simple to just add a section to Claire's chapter four where they get a vaccine, wouldn't be surprised if that was originally part of the game but was cut out. But since t-Phobos is just a weakened t-Virus strain, it probably isn't hard for the BSAA to manufacture a vaccine for it based on the mass-produced t-Vaccine.

Thanks.

FaintDeftone

Was the rumors of Episode 4 only being 20min true or bullshit?

I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to check it out since I'm on PC and they didn't release it until today.

News Bot

Banned
Was the rumors of Episode 4 only being 20min true or bullshit?

I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to check it out since I'm on PC and they didn't release it until today.

Claire's section is 10-15 minutes of cutscenes and running. Barry's length is good.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I agree. I get what they were going for, but it manages to both not really make much sense and is really poorly handled from a gameplay perspective.

I was on route for the bad ending the first time through because it gives you the cue for mashing the button as Claire and only has the switch prompt show up a little later, it doesn't give much time to react and that isn't even something that feels immediately obvious. Plus, this shows that Claire was able to reach and use the gun herself, while the 'good' ending is dependent on Moira crawling over there slowly to do it. For some reason Claire doesn't just get it herself at this point.

If they REALLY wanted to split the ending here I would have made it mandatory to play as Moira to really put Claire in a no-win scenario, and have it so you could use a gun or some kind of wreckage from the room(or even the crowbar). Then she smacks him with the melee weapon, gets hit herself and attacked while Claire picks up the gun and saves Moira this time. This would show that she still had a real fear of guns despite needing it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Awesome, had my text from Shopto saying this had been dispatched today then my sister goes through her post and finds something for me, that's a fast fucking delivery lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I agree. I get what they were going for, but it manages to both not really make much sense and is really poorly handled from a gameplay perspective.

I was on route for the bad ending the first time through because it gives you the cue for mashing the button as Claire and only has the switch prompt show up a little later, it doesn't give much time to react and that isn't even something that feels immediately obvious. Plus, this shows that Claire was able to reach and use the gun herself, while the 'good' ending is dependent on Moira crawling over there slowly to do it. For some reason Claire doesn't just get it herself at this point.

If they REALLY wanted to split the ending here I would have made it mandatory to play as Moira to really put Claire in a no-win scenario, and have it so you could use a gun or some kind of wreckage from the room(or even the crowbar). Then she smacks him with the melee weapon, gets hit herself and attacked while Claire picks up the gun and saves Moira this time. This would show that she still had a real fear of guns despite needing it.

I cannot believe the true ending is
gated behind a failed QTE
. This is wrong on so many levels.

Top Bottom