• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Jawmuncher

I like how you can just grab the character portraits off the site. Shame that it seems to just throw a random 8 on there. I don't even play as neill or Gina.

chara14ZBMt_rev2.png
chara13pDKe_rev2.png
chara12wFnM_rev2.png
chara04aenr_rev2.png
chara09RI5r_rev2.png
chara03P8zL_rev2.png
chara01IkMr_rev2.png
chara02wXll_rev2.png

Question about the different endings and how to get them:

So I don't really know how this works but

In my playthrough I had Moira kill Neil so Moira "dies". I get the cutscene of Claire and Barry in the emergency room. The end. I play Barry's campaign. I get the good ending I guess? Moira saves Natalia. Claire shows up with chopper to save them. Claire mentions Piers in car (omg RIGHT IN THE FEELS), and scene of Natalia in her room at Barry's home I guess as Alex.

Ok, so to my question... does Moira/Claire killing Neil affect BOTH these endings? Is that the only thing that triggers what end you will get? Or do I have to do something in Barry's campaign in EP3 to see the other ending
?

Anyways.

Story was awesome. I really liked it. Although Claire's last chapter... so damn short. I don't get it. What's the point really? Barry's part felt so long though and the first half was kinda boring, but OMG the second half. So much fun.

Overall Barry's campaign felt... I don't really know the word. Drawn out or a bit long, while I wanted to see more of Clarie's. Really liked all the references to other characters and previous games. Barry saying he has had enough of Mansions. I lol'd. Epic. And the mansion part was really good and eerie.

Alex Wesker
in Raid... omg. What to say? Capcom being Capcom, LAZY. No original melee moves. Shares the same as Claire, Moira and Gina. Cool new skills. Her commands are funny. Very Carla/Ada. Posted a video of her in raid mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5bRDBwe8lY

About to finish The Struggle to unlock Rasputin in Raid. Doubt he'll have any originality at all though. ETA: But he has original melee moves in campaign but not Raid? I don't get it?

They're written fine. But the localizations have been some of the worst in the industry for 20 years.

Even with better translations, it doesn't fix the shitty plots and stories. It's all kinds of cheese.

All the bad localization has done is make the dialogue sound stupid at times, the general story telling though is the same convoluted plot hole filled b-movie level stuff

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Jesus christ, those Jim sterling reviews are such utter shit. He's still raving about capcom being greedy fucks about making the game episodic, and the microtransactions.

Yeah, dude is so angry about the game. I get different opinions but wow. I don't get it.

Got my Platinum! Now I just need to S Rank the No Escape difficulty. >< It's really too bad you can't use any of the weapon unlocks to get S rank on anything.

Ending was great. This game turned out way better than I thought it would be and I've had tons of fun.

Nice work, that plat looks pretty challenging!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I cannot believe the true ending is
gated behind a failed QTE
. This is wrong on so many levels.

Pretty much. It would have been way more obvious what to do if that was an actual gameplay scenario, too.

I like how you can just grab the character portraits off the site. Shame that it seems to just throw a random 8 on there. I don't even play as neill or Gina.

I think it adds them as long as you've used them atleast once. I have more than 8 showing.

Japanese children use kuso just like children in English speaking countries use shit or crap. It's the same word.

Most words in Japanese have multiple meanings, it's a language that relies on context particularly for translation. I didn't say saiaku was being used as a swear, just that it can be. It most commonly means "the worst" to describe a thing or situation and is one of Moira's most common lines in REV2. But depending on intention or context, it can also mean "this is fucked up" or any variant thereof.

I've done that for most of the games including BIO2 and the English dialogue made no sense at all half the time, whether it be due to plot errors or just really awkward sentences. You can hear the voice actors struggle with lines at times because they sound like almost broken English or as if they were machine translated. It even contradicted events in the game itself (saying the Tyrant was also a G-Creature).

The only line in the entire series that I've found genuinely sounds better in English is Jill's final line to Nemesis-T in BIO3. When translated literally the original line sounds dull, from what I remember. On its own, the Japanese dialogue is completely serviceable and sounds fine, it's only when you try to translate it that it sounds innocuous. I think BIO4's English script is a little better but that's mainly because Mikami is an awful writer.

I assumed it was the same until I started teaching in Japan and found out it was perfectly acceptable for first grade children to say. Elementary school children may use those words in the US, but it's not considered acceptable for them to say.

I think we might have different views on what it means ... for a word to "mean" something, but regardless I don't think we really disagree much in terms of Revelations 2. Using expletives would have been the right choice for translating this game, despite the game taking things too far.

As for Bio 2, ...

"I almost got the story" is better than &#12300;&#12414;&#12384;&#27515;&#12396;&#12431;&#12369;&#12395;&#12399;...&#12301;
The "co-conspirator" line is better than &#12300;&#12371;&#12371;&#12395;&#32626;&#38263;&#12398;&#27491;&#20307;&#12364;&#26360;&#12356;&#12390;&#12354;&#12427;&#12301;
"Good god, what was that?" is much better than &#12300;&#20170;&#12398;&#12399;&#20309;&#65311;&#12301;

This scene stood out for me last time I played.

Of course there are things that were misunderstood and mistranslated, but at times the dialogue reads better. Particularly because the Japanese dialogue here is so poor.

dellingr

Please say that Barry's episode 4 gets better. I'm really not impressed so far and
the poison gas mechanic is driving me insane. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Please say that Barry's episode 4 gets better. I'm really not impressed so far and
the poison gas mechanic is driving me insane. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired.

While I didn't mind the mines, it does get much, much better.

Jawmuncher

Pretty much. It would have been way more obvious what to do if that was an actual gameplay scenario, too.

I think it adds them as long as you've used them atleast once. I have more than 8 showing.

Hmmm that's weird since I've used everyone once. Not a big deal.

Question about the different endings and how to get them:

So I don't really know how this works but

In my playthrough I had Moira kill Neil so Moira "dies". I get the cutscene of Claire and Barry in the emergency room. The end. I play Barry's campaign. I get the good ending I guess? Moira saves Natalia. Claire shows up with chopper to save them. Claire mentions Piers in car (omg RIGHT IN THE FEELS), and scene of Natalia in her room at Barry's home I guess as Alex.

Ok, so to my question... does Moira/Claire killing Neil affect BOTH these endings? Is that the only thing that triggers what end you will get? Or do I have to do something in Barry's campaign in EP3 to see the other ending
?

Anyways.

Story was awesome. I really liked it. Although Claire's last chapter... so damn short. I don't get it. What's the point really? Barry's part felt so long though and the first half was kinda boring, but OMG the second half. So much fun.

Overall Barry's campaign felt... I don't really know the word. Drawn out or a bit long, while I wanted to see more of Clarie's. Really liked all the references to other characters and previous games. Barry saying he has had enough of Mansions. I lol'd. Epic. And the mansion part was really good and eerie.

Alex Wesker in Raid... omg. What to say? Capcom being Capcom, LAZY. No original melee moves. Shares the same as Claire, Moira and Gina. Cool new skills. Her commands are funny. Very Carla/Ada. Posted a video of her in raid mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5bRDBwe8lY

About to finish The Struggle to unlock Rasputin in Raid. Doubt he'll have any originality at all though.
That decision is the only thing that changes the ending.
It makes sense
if Moira isn't willing to use a gun at that moment she certainly isn't during her 6months stranded, and she wouldn't survive.
Thus not able to show up and stop the complete transfer.

Ralemont

not me
I agree. It's really dumb. I haven't seen the good ending but I don't know how it makes any sense.

I don't see how it doesn't make sense?
if Moira triumphs over her fears she's a survivor and lives.

I'm actually surprised people are getting the bad ending. The whole
Moira-getting-the-gun sequence
felt intuitive to me. I'll see what I think when I replay it.

Jusoni

Just finished this with a playtime of little under 8 hours. This game gives a lot of bang for your buck. Story, raid and a shit ton of unlockables for 25$. Money well spent.

Episode 4 end:
When the helicopter came I was like "Ada Wong?! Omfgwtf!" But it was just Claire disguised as Ada. :D Still an awesome ending.

How long are the extra episodes?

News Bot

Banned
Even with better translations, it doesn't fix the shitty plots and stories. It's all kinds of cheese.

All the bad localization has done is make the dialogue sound stupid at times, the general story telling though is the same convoluted plot hole filled b-movie level stuff

Do you have any examples of plot holes? The stories are fine, at least for most of the games. The translations are what cause plot holes, retcons, contradictions and errors, very few exist otherwise and mostly just because no game includes the entire scenario (they solve this through supplemental material).

There's nothing inherently cheesy about the stories. Most of them, anyway.

I assumed it was the same until I started teaching in Japan and found out it was perfectly acceptable for first grade children to say. Elementary school children may use those words in the US, but it's not considered acceptable for them to say.

I think we might have different views on what it means ... for a word to "mean" something, but regardless I don't think we really disagree much in terms of Revelations 2. Using expletives would have been the right choice for translating this game, despite the game taking things too far.

As for Bio 2, ...

"I almost got the story" is better than &#12300;&#12414;&#12384;&#27515;&#12396;&#12431;&#12369;&#12395;&#12399;...&#12301;
The "co-conspirator" line is better than &#12300;&#12371;&#12371;&#12395;&#32626;&#38263;&#12398;&#27491;&#20307;&#12364;&#26360;&#12356;&#12390;&#12354;&#12427;&#12301;
"Good god, what was that?" is much better than &#12300;&#20170;&#12398;&#12399;&#20309;&#65311;&#12301;

This scene stood out for me last time I played.

Of course there are things that were misunderstood and mistranslated, but at times the dialogue reads better. Particularly because the Japanese dialogue here is so poor.

I dunno, they're pretty acceptable here in Ireland. I can recall conversations with my teachers where I used them, or where the teacher used them in a lecture. They're fairly neutered words.

In regards to those BIO2 lines, they're fine in Japanese. There's not much to them. Ada's one in particular is much more true to her personality, she's not meant to be scared easily. She's meant to be extremely cold and is written the same way in her BIO2 drama album. Her coldness is meant to be what makes her penultimate scenes with Leon pay off.

Just played Claire Episode 1. I liked the intro but wasn't that impressed with the actual gameplay, but I'm sure it'll get much better from here on out. Framerate is inconsistent as anything, I died a few times from the game's huge stutterings. For the most part it's okay though.

Dangit Arklite,
Gina dies 2 seconds after she's introduced. And didn't come back like Rachael.
:(

Alex Wesker
in Raid... omg. What to say? Capcom being Capcom, LAZY. No original melee moves. Shares the same as Claire, Moira and Gina. Cool new skills. Her commands are funny. Very Carla/Ada. Posted a video of her in raid mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5bRDBwe8lY

Who? Dang it I've been spoiled haven't I. :/

Grisby

The Struggle is aptly named. What the hell.

Made it to the 4th, 5th, area and died with no herbs, 4 handgun rounds, and about 18 or so more tough dudes and 3 of those guys that throw shit at you.

I'm...gonna bump it down to casual for my next try (it erases your save if you don't have enough continues!).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Struggle is aptly named. What the hell.

Made it to the 4th, 5th, area and died with no herbs, 4 handgun rounds, and about 18 or so more tough dudes and 3 of those guys that throw shit at you.

I'm...gonna bump it down to casual for my next try (it erases your save if you don't have enough continues!).

The struggle is real.

I'm about to start it up so I'm curious to see how it goes.

joe2187

Banned
After getting the bad ending and being a bit disappointed, I went back and got the good ending and fuck was it ever worth it!

You just need to play the climax of Claires section in Eps3 to change the outcome and then you can go right into Barry's Eps4 to get the good ending.

Manu

So apparently the good ending is significantly better than the bad ending?

Should I replay Claire's part in Ep 3 before playing Ep 4 or should I get the bad ending first? Decisions, decisions.

jediyoshi

So apparently the good ending is significantly better than the bad ending?

Should I replay Claire's part in Ep 3 before playing Ep 4 or should I get the bad ending first? Decisions, decisions.

As someone who went with the bad ending and then watched the good ending.

Go for the good ending.

Dusk Golem

Struggle is indeed hard. I actually like it, but there's a sequence in the second level I just cannot get past on Survival so far, and that's not even the end.

I played and beat Little Miss though, it was actually better than I was expecting. Loved the character reaction, strange tones, bizarre scenes, and pinkish haze to everything. They did a few fun things with the stealth-only focus. Also gave some interesting clarification and viewpoint on the narrative. I think the second level was the hardest though, the third level was pretty easy for me.

Dizzy-4U

After I finished the game I went back to get the good ending. Holy crap that was so good.
I wasn't expenting another fight. Tatarigami Alex was intense as shit.

Dusk Golem

IF YOU GOT THE BAD ENDING:

I actually think it's best to get this ending first. But go get the good ending, you only fight the second half of the final boss fight if you are going along the good ending path, and the ending is longer. Also, something after the credits.

derFeef

About to hop into this tonight, quite excited actually after all the positive buzz. Anyone knows if the discounted upgrade to full season is timed on Steam?

Dusk Golem

Can someone confirm I only have to replay Claire's section of Ep 3 to get the good ending?

I can confirm it as I did it earlier. Even switched difficulties (did Claire's episode 3 on Casual, then switched to Survival for Episode 4).

The game saves whatever you did for that choice last time for further playthroughs of episode 4 until you play the episode through again and overwrite it.

void666

Banned
I want to read the spoilers... :(

Played until 4am but after this cutscene my controller stops working partially.
If i reload the checkpoint it works ok until i hit the cutscene again.
It's a DS4 on pc. I'm using DS4Windows.

joe2187

Banned
I can confirm it as I did it earlier. Even switched difficulties (did Claire's episode 3 on Casual, then switched to Survival for Episode 4).

The game saves whatever you did for that choice last time for further playthroughs of episode 4 until you play the episode through again and overwrite it.

Also it shows your decision when you highlight Eps 3 at the episode select screen. I
n the bottom right corner youll see Moira and Claire's face, If Moira is in front then you got the good ending and can move on to barry's climax.

Risible

I decided to replay Chapter 3 Claire to get the good ending before even playing through the bad ending. Having seen both endings now, I'm glad I did, as the bad ending
is really just a cutscene that is easily watchable on Youtube.

Anyone complaining about the value of this package is INSANE. Sure, you could like or not like it, but the bang for the buck is astronomical. A nice long campaign plus a Raid mode that's a lot of fun, the entertainment value per dollar is up there even if you never touch the Raid mode.

And that good ending?
I thought I was at the end, opened a door and WTF I'M BACK IN A MANSION DEAR GOD CAPCOM I LOVE YOU.
So good.

Manu

I did it and can confirm it absolutely.

Peachy. I'll replay Claire 3 before jumping into Ep 4. Thanks!

The way they hide the true ending is rather cool to me, it means nearly everyone is going to see the bad ending first before the true ending though it could have been made a little clearer that you could do so.

I still need to buy the later episodes but from what I have seen I think rev 2 did a great job and for the asking price, really good.

malfcn

I'm so torn between disc or digital for this.
With GCU it'll be $32+tax vs $25+tax and all that content. If it goes on sale at Best Buy then it's even crazier.
Then there is the expiring coupon I have versus the $25 currency I have expiring in a few months.

-_-

foxdvd

So all I got left for my platinum is beating Barry's episode 4 on invisible/countdown mode. Am I wrong in thinking it will be easier with the bad ending?

the good ending you have to fight the boss twice...I can imagine since you can't spot, hitting the boss with the sniper will be tough when she is invisible and on countdown mode that is more time ticking away...the bad ending ends right at the boss while still under ground...

so I guess I should load up chapter 3 just to set up the bad ending....

LUXURY

Soooooooooo. I missed the shotgun in the room with Claire it was up high. Went through the door and can't go back. Also missed a damn storage box. Or is the shotgun for Barry?

Grisby

Well, there are GAF users that are not scared as easily as I am. If I find RE 1 to 4 scary, will this be scary to me? 5 and 6 were not as scary.
It's definitely more on the horror side than 6. I thought 5 was a bit more 'scary' (underwater gator section) than 4 so you know, your mileage may vary.

This game does fall more into the earlier RE's horror category. Like, 1-CV or something like that, I suppose.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Soooooooooo. I missed the shotgun in the room with Claire it was up high. Went through the door and can't go back. Also missed a damn storage box. Or is the shotgun for Barry?

I had hoped to get that shotgun for Barry, but it is apparently 2 shotguns for Claire, 0 for Barry.

Oh, well. Barry kicks ass without it

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

You can go back and do it again if you want but it doesn't matter much you get another chance at getting the shotgun again for claire in episode 3.

Top Bottom