• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

Reclaimer

Finished 5-5 tonight, what a fun game! Yeah, it's a little crappy sometimes, but overall a good game. I'd say my 10 hours on it have justified the purchase, so many good runs.

Now onto EX missions! I really need to play these co-op, the first EX in the night village is rough. The rest of the game seems like a cakewalk.

Is this as fun as RE 5 Mercs? I don't remember RE5's mechanics being quite as nice, or the general flow of it movie as quickly ad this 3ds version. Worth going back to the 360 RE5 and unlocking mercs?

SmithnCo

GGs :)

Reclaimer said:
Is this as fun as RE 5 Mercs? I don't remember RE5's mechanics being quite as nice, or the general flow of it movie as quickly ad this 3ds version. Worth going back to the 360 RE5 and unlocking mercs?

One thing they changed is there is no item pickup animation so it moves a lot faster just from that. I should try out RE5 Mercs again sometime to see any other ways it differs.

Sectus

Reclaimer said:
Mercs 3D is definitely much faster, mainly because you can move almost all the time and many animations can be cancelled early. I think the primary difference between the two is the type of challenge. Mercs 3D is challenging by overwhelming you with tough bosses, and RE5 Mercs is difficult with how much in general is overwhelming (many enemies flanking you, inventory management, bigger risk of running out of ammo). It looks much nicer, especially since it never awkwardly cancels animations early or does weird animation combinations.

I dunno what version you'd prefer, but I definitely would recommend you try it at least. There's content in RE5 mercs which is not in Mercs 3D (3 stages, a few characters, a few weapons and some enemies). One thing which is unquestionably better in RE5 mercs is the coop.

If you choose easy difficulty in story mode, you'll unlock the mercs mode really quickly. I think you might even unlock it instantly if you get someone to invite you to a mercs match.

I just found time to do some online coop missions and apart from some short lag spikes the games with randoms worked just brilliantly. Almost cracked that 100 combo, but the mission ended 2 kills short.

The online alone makes this game really worth it. Fast, functional and tons of fun. Too bad that Nintendo didn't allow voice chat, since the 3DS allready comes equipped with a mic.

Hopefully they release a new Mercenaries sometime when the 3DS is better equipped for online.

MooMoo

kiryogi said:
Hrm SS-ed but did we miss a time bonus or something? XD
Nope, you activated the first one and I activated the second one. Sorry about getting axed the first time. I saw him but I thought I could magnum him quick enough >.>

cvxfreak

Sometimes, I just don't understand Capcom.

wh06c9.jpg

Ken

I accidentally hosted a game once; doesn't the host need to press mission start first before they can be found?

Ken

kiryogi said:
Haha SS-ed. I must say I effing HATE shipyard. It's a goddamn maze.
Least favorite map along with the prison.

Also, would have jumped on when you were looking for someone earlier but I'm wrapped up with Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 lol.

kiryogi

Banned
Ken said:
Least favorite map along with the prison.

Also, would have jumped on when you were looking for someone earlier but I'm wrapped up with Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 lol.
And yes, Prison also PITA to combo in. STill need to get good scores for EX-8...

kiryogi

Banned
MooMoo said:
Isn't 150 max though? :p Again, sorry about getting axed. I swear they're like ninja executioners.
Yeah 150 is, but we need to leave a good amount of time left for bonus as well. I noticed last time we didn't kill boss fast enough and it gave us a lower score.

I really like this game, definitively would buy it if I had to pay for it. The most satisfying thing is to use flash grenade and go on a Barry rampage with knocking the heads out of the enemy. My only complaint is them getting rid of Barry fun lines and the neckbreaker move. Of course they could have added more levels, but still happy with this re used assets type of game.

MooMoo

Nice. Sorry about getting axed...again XD Kill combo was going out so I went on a sniping spree up there and the executioner snuck up on me.

kiryogi

Banned
MooMoo said:
Nice. Sorry about getting axed...again XD Combo timer was going out so I went on a sniping spree up there and the executioner snuck up on me.
Hah it's cool. Those executioners are indeed ninjas.

MarkusRJR

I just bought this game along with OoT, and holy shit. This game is pretty good. I've never played Mercs on RE4 or RE5 and this blew my mind. It's so fucking good. 3DS purchase vindicated. The only problem I can imagine happening is finding someone to play multiplayer with. No one I know has a 3DS let alone RE: Mercs 3D. I kind of want to go and get friends on GAF, but I hate having friends lists full of people I don't know. Bleh. :/

MooMoo

Yaceka said:
I just bought this game along with OoT, and holy shit. This game is pretty good. I've never played Mercs on RE4 or RE5 and this blew my mind. It's so fucking good. 3DS purchase vindicated. The only problem I can imagine happening is finding someone to play multiplayer with. No one I know has a 3DS let alone RE: Mercs 3D. I kind of want to go and get friends on GAF, but I hate having friends lists full of people I don't know. Bleh. :/
Aw we don't bite!
Also HOLY CRAP. I was so lucky. Those two axe guys were just standing in front of me like they were high on crack or something xD

kiryogi

Banned
Ah man sorry about that >_< Battery was dying. Tried rushing to the closest outlet but I prolonged it too long. . . It looked like we almost had it too! Still up for more? Provided it turns on XD That said, I think I finally figured out how to deal with Salvadors. 4 headshots and melee = Boom. Wish I could figure out Red Executioners though. . . It seems like best method is to down them and then do a team melee and repeat with. Or add some back/head shots into it.

Also regarding 5-5. It looks like we now hold the record for highest score in duo :D

MooMoo

kiryogi said:
Ah man sorry about that >_< Battery was dying. Tried rushing to the closest outlet but I prolonged it too long. . . It looked like we almost had it too! Still up for more? Provided it turns on XD That said, I think I finally figured out how to deal with Salvadors. 4 headshots and melee = Boom. Wish I could figure out Red Executioners though. . . It seems like best method is to down them and then do a team melee and repeat with. Or add some back/head shots into it.
That sucks D: We were doing pretty good too. I can play a few more rounds haha. Normal Salvadors are fine but the crazy ones have invincibility frames or something (I think you mentioned something similar earlier, something about missing the feet?). Otherwise the crazy ones would be too easy; stun with grenade/proximity mine/rocket launcher thingy and then spam magnum on my part. I have too hard of time trying to get accurate shots on them while they're dancing around.

Haha yeahhh! Feels good to be on top! Ken and Smithnco have some beastly scores though.

kiryogi

Banned
MooMoo said:
That sucks D: We were doing pretty good too. I can play a few more rounds haha. Normal Salvadors are fine but the crazy ones have invincibility frames or something (I think you mentioned something similar earlier, something about missing the feet?). Otherwise the crazy ones would be too easy; stun with grenade/proximity mine/rocket launcher thingy and then spam magnum on my part. I have too hard of time trying to get accurate shots on them while they're dancing around.

As Ken mentioned, it's a major fear to miss trying to hit their feet. If you can nail their feet fast enough when you're close to them, it'll stun them. However, if you miss, you're gonna eat chainsaw. Which what I meant by being too courageous... or suicidal. Haha.

And well, in general, we got a very solid bunch of folks here on Mercs. :D

edit: And updated the scores with the most recent outings I've done. Alright gonna be up in a sec.

MooMoo

Ken said:
I accidentally hosted a game once; doesn't the host need to press mission start first before they can be found?
Yeah, the image confuses me. I just tested it out myself. Regardless of local/wifi play, if you're hosting you have to click start mission in order to actual begin searching for other players. Just sitting at that screen does nothing lol.

kiryogi said:
edit: And updated the scores with the most recent outings I've done. Alright gonna be up in a sec.
Haha k.

Ken

kiryogi said:
As Ken mentioned, it's a major fear to miss trying to hit their feet. If you can nail their feet fast enough when you're close to them, it'll stun them. However, if you miss, you're gonna eat chainsaw. Which what I meant by being too courageous... or suicidal. Haha.

And well, in general, we got a very solid bunch of folks here on Mercs. :D

Chris' rifle, without any damage buffs, will down the giant chainsaw guy with one shot to the leg. Not sure how many shots the other rifles need to down him though.

MooMoo

Ken said:
Chris' rifle, without any damage buffs, will down the giant chainsaw guy with one shot to the leg. Not sure how many shots the other rifles need to down him though.
Hm, takes at least 2 with Barry's rifle.

Edit: Sowwie >.< I had wayyy too many Magnum rounds and I got a little cocky haha.

Ken

Sadist said:
Yes, I completed the final Ex Mission. (Score is 8003689) One skill left and got 33 medals
8 million points? Didn't know that was possible.

RE4Character_Merchant.gif

I hope this guy makes it into Mercs 2 as a playable character.

MooMoo

We'll get there some day! Maybe I should use a different loadout or skill set since I'm just using random skills right now xD. Also, I just played that EX-4 level with 3D on full blast and wow. It's actually really nice, makes sniping easier. Gg!

kiryogi

Banned
MooMoo said:
We'll get there some day! Maybe I should use a different loadout or skill set since I'm just using random skills right now xD. Also, I just played that EX-4 level with 3D on full blast and wow. It's actually really nice, makes sniping easier. Gg!
Haha. I have 3D on full all the time, it's a really nice effect.

It's no problem, for awhile there I was also just using random skills to go at it. Only recently have I finally decided on a serious skill set. Still manage some awesome scores regardless. The skills help, but what really matters is how you handle yourself. GAF is pretty good about keeping chains going and whatnot. . . Randoms online, not so much.

Only thing bugging me is getting the scores out of the 200ks for the EX Prison and Shipyard. It's pretty funny looking at the score list how low the Shipyard ones are.

Ken

Out of curiosity, how do you guys prefer to grab the time bonuses?

For example, ever since RE4 Mercenaries, I always picked up all the time bonuses on the map before killing. Seems like it would make keeping combos going easier, at least in solo play when you can't really afford to lose a second breaking a time bonus during a combo.

kiryogi

Banned
Ken said:
Out of curiosity, how do you guys prefer to grab the time bonuses?

For example, ever since RE4 Mercenaries, I always picked up all the time bonuses on the map before killing. Seems like it would make keeping combos going easier, at least in solo play when you can't really afford to lose a second breaking a time bonus.

So far I like just doing them as I move along and when in coop, basically each person grabs the one in their respective starting areas. Although yeah, from RE4/5 mercs vids, everyone seems to go for bonuses first then start killing.

I agree with that strat for solo, but in duo, I see it working a lot better moving along since there's twice the coverage.

Top Bottom