• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

Reclaimer

What aim view mode are you all using?

The default is first person, but I ended up switching to 3rd person. Just let's me see a bit more of my surroundings when fending off enemies in tight quarters.

Ken

Reclaimer said:
What aim view mode are you all using?

The default is first person, but I ended up switching to 3rd person. Just let's me see a bit more of my surroundings when fending off enemies in tight quarters.

Third person because of RE4's Mercs which didn't offer first person. Also, surroundings and stuff.

Ken

hayejin said:
Was there any news or rumor of DLC?

Been playing it since launch and there's not much to do after SS ranking all stages.

Before the NA launch I asked about DLC and was told there were no plans for DLC for this game. :(

I guess the only things to do after SS ranking is to level up all the skills, or keep playing for higher scores/fun.

Because of this game, I'm actually interested now in grabbing a copy of RE5 Gold Edition and play through its Mercenaries split-screen.

SmithnCo

hayejin said:
Was there any news or rumor of DLC?

Been playing it since launch and there's not much to do after SS ranking all stages.

On a Capcom livestream they actually said they didn't implement a DLC system and didn't have any plans. Kinda sad because DLC would really help this game.

Ken

Watching random RE5 Mercenaries Reunion videos to see if I should bother grabbing the DLC and noticed a few things:

-Going to be tough adjusting to pick up animations.
-I'm going to miss Old School.
-RE5 still looks great.
-Some of these maps lost a lot in their Mercenaries 3D version.
-No nurse Rebecca, Claire, or HUNK. :(

kiryogi

Banned
Hah yeah, a week after I got Mercs 3D, I finally got myself a copy of RE5 Gold. Going into RE5 mercs were quite a difference. You could say though, Mercs 3D is a more concise experience. I love both though!

That said, we need to partner up again some time Ken! It's been at least a week now.

Ken

kiryogi said:
Hah yeah, a week after I got Mercs 3D, I finally got myself a copy of RE5 Gold. Going into RE5 mercs were quite a difference. You could say though, Mercs 3D is a more concise experience. I love both though!

That said, we need to partner up again some time Ken! It's been at least a week now.
Lol maybe tomorrow?

When I get back to my college apartment in September, we should try doing some RE5 Mercs too. What console/PC do you have it on?

kiryogi

Banned
Ken said:
Lol maybe tomorrow?

When I get back to my college apartment in September, we should try doing some RE5 Mercs too. What console/PC do you have it on?

360. If you're there, I'd love to have a partner that wasn't just killing mindlessly. Both my friend and my sister's BF just kill and don't even bother with melee-ing. XD

Ken

kiryogi said:
360. If you're there, I'd love to have a partner that wasn't just killing mindlessly. Both my friend and my sister's BF just kill and don't even bother with melee-ing. XD
I have it on 360 too. Just need to grab the DLC. Maybe we can get somewhat high on the leader boards lol.

Ken said:
Watching random RE5 Mercenaries Reunion videos to see if I should bother grabbing the DLC and noticed a few things:

-Going to be tough adjusting to pick up animations.
-I'm going to miss Old School.
-RE5 still looks great.
-Some of these maps lost a lot in their Mercenaries 3D version.
-No nurse Rebecca, Claire, or HUNK. :(
Are you saying none of these characters are in Mercenaries? because Hunk, Claire Rebecca are in the game

MooMoo

Axkil aka StabMasterArson said:
Are you saying none of these characters are in Mercenaries? because Hunk, Claire Rebecca are in the game
He's talking about the RE5 mercenaries characters, not the 3DS ones :p

I have the 360 version but for some odd reason my high scores for mercs reunion keeps getting reset. Never figured out why and it sorta pissed me off. I also bought the PC version on Steam. Unfortunately you have to play through the game once to unlock mercenaries and I sure as hell wasn't gonna play solo and the last time I checked the servers were pretty dead. I really want to try No Mercy mercenaries though.

Sectus

MooMoo said:
He's talking about the RE5 mercenaries characters, not the 3DS ones :p

I have the 360 version but for some odd reason my high scores for mercs reunion keeps getting reset. Never figured out why and it sorta pissed me off. I also bought the PC version on Steam. Unfortunately you have to play through the game once to unlock mercenaries and I sure as hell wasn't gonna play solo and the last time I checked the servers were pretty dead. I really want to try No Mercy mercenaries though.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=13366&st=0 - Get this trainer and just breeze through the game. You can have some random fun along the way too (try turning on rapid fire, changing character scale or speed, turn every melee into the ultimate tag team melee, or just turn on plain simple invincibility and infinite ammo to make the run be super quick).

Direct trainer download: http://www.mediafire.com/?rzn38vm7jr4cyxl

GeekyDad

Don't have the game yet, but I'm curious -- do you need to use FCs to play online, or can the game match you with random players?

MooMoo

GeekyDad said:
Don't have the game yet, but I'm curious -- do you need to use FCs to play online, or can the game match you with random players?
You can do both random and friends. Friends is sort of stupid though because without any messaging system of sorts it's a hassle to host up a game. From my experience and other peoples' statements, lag generally isn't an issue either, so online holds up extremely well for this game and is pretty much the meat of the action.

I wish every character had a special move thing like Wesker's sprint. I miss Krauser's arm move from 4.

Wesker still seems like the worst character to. If you equip him will skills that strengthen melees he's alright, but without his melees are surprisingly week, and he relies on them a lot since you never have a ton of ammo for either of his other weapons.

And speaking of his other weapons, are shotguns weaker in this game than the other Mercs? Seems like I remember a shotgun basically being a one-shot kill no matter where you hit as s long as you were close enough, but in 3DS Mercs I have to get a headshot to one-shot kill.

SmithnCo

Yeah, it's probably a case of enemies being stronger in this game. In RE5 Mercs enemies were killed almost every time with melees I think. And Sheva's bow was pretty godly compared to Krauser's in this one.

As for online the biggest hassle is there are no lobbies. If you find a random guy who you like playing with you cannot continue playing with them because the game boots you to the main online menu after games. It does the same with friends which is a big pain.

MooMoo

Heh killed by a normal majini, my bad!

Edit: XD double axed, grrr. We'll get it this time for sure

Double edit: WOO! FINALLY:D

MooMoo

Haha no problem. That last wave I had close to zero bullets, which is why I was sort of running around like a doofus :S Well that and the chainsaw guys haha. Did it get really laggy halfway through or something? I was trying to heal you on the stairs after you got axed and next thing I knew I did some weird slide-resuscitation.

MooMoo said:
Haha no problem. That last wave I had close to zero bullets, which is why I was sort of running around like a doofus :S Well that and the chainsaw guys haha. Did it get really laggy halfway through or something? I was trying to heal you on the stairs after you got axed and next thing I knew I did some weird slide-resuscitation.

I didn't notice anything really weird or laggy.

But yeah that last round was hilarious. I was out of ammo at one point and was running through the tunnels and I could hear chainsaws in every direction. Luckily I had enough grenades, but still was nerve-wracking.

Reknoc

Bought this against my better judgement. Since while I enjoy Mercs mode in 4 and 5 I'm also really terrible at it. In fact I've been playing Resident Evil 5 on and off recently (to mop up some achievements and start it on hard mode while waiting for a friend to complete it) and I looked at my Mercs progress and I hadn't even unlocked the 2nd map.

That said I'm loving this game. Though now I'm past the tutorial stuff and not getting SS ranks at all and just barely scraping Bs.

The special load-out made me cry with joy a little since it had my favourite gun from Resi4 in. Shame I can't use it because I don't like the other weapon.

MooMoo

Count Dookkake said:
I didn't notice anything really weird or laggy.

But yeah that last round was hilarious. I was out of ammo at one point and was running through the tunnels and I could hear chainsaws in every direction. Luckily I had enough grenades, but still was nerve-wracking.
Oh hm, that's weird then. Yeah I started freaking out too because it really did sound like the chainsaw guys were everywhere. I was also worried about my last melee/last chainsaw guy, was thinking that he might recover from his stagger and then turn around and slice me in half. But I love Barry's hurricane melee, so fun! Oh I also think it's really creepy how when you're in the red, the executioners will just circle around you like a shark ...

But yeah, I also snagged a bunch of medals after we finished :D Up to 41/50 now.
Reknoc said:
Bought this against my better judgement. Since while I enjoy Mercs mode in 4 and 5 I'm also really terrible at it. In fact I've been playing Resident Evil 5 on and off recently (to mop up some achievements and start it on hard mode while waiting for a friend to complete it) and I looked at my Mercs progress and I hadn't even unlocked the 2nd map.

That said I'm loving this game. Though now I'm past the tutorial stuff and not getting SS ranks at all and just barely scraping Bs.

The special load-out made me cry with joy a little since it had my favourite gun from Resi4 in. Shame I can't use it because I don't like the other weapon.
Heh, glad to see you like the game. The action/difficulty ramps up quite nicely after the tutorial levels so you should start enjoying the game loads more. If you're not getting SS in solo mode, then I wouldn't worry too much about your skill level since solo and duo mode are entirely different beasts.

Ken

Played about 5 hours of RE5 on X360 yesterday, first time I loaded up the game in a long while, and wow at how refined Mercenaries 3D's controls and gameplay is compared to RE5.

-RE5 has a weird delay between the time of an enemy going down and when you receive the melee prompt.
-Inventory system in RE5 is a pain to use after Mercenaries 3D's item selection.
-No button for healing items (somewhat understandable given that there's more than one healing item in RE5)

Reknoc

MooMoo said:
Heh, glad to see you like the game. The action/difficulty ramps up quite nicely after the tutorial levels so you should start enjoying the game loads more. If you're not getting SS in solo mode, then I wouldn't worry too much about your skill level since solo and duo mode are entirely different beasts.

Yea. I'm on Mission Level 5 now and it's definitely a lot harder but still more forgiving or just better than Resident Evil 5's Mercs Mode. Not too fussed about getting SS just yet, though I am struggling to even get a B haha. Last SS I got was, the boss fight in Mission Level 3 with Rebecca.

I'll probably struggle less when I find a character and loadout I'm comfortable with.

Ken said:
Played about 5 hours of RE5 on X360 yesterday, first time I loaded up the game in a long while, and wow at how refined Mercenaries 3D's controls and gameplay is compared to RE5.

-RE5 has a weird delay between the time of an enemy going down and when you receive the melee prompt.
-Inventory system in RE5 is a pain to use after Mercenaries 3D's item selection.
-No button for healing items (somewhat understandable given that there's more than one healing item in RE5)

Yeah, the controls in RE: Mercenaries are far better than in RE5.

:D :D :D :D :D finally lol, someone is trading it on goozex

i'll have this by next week , thank you based nemesis :p

if only they added the RE 3 mercenaries , would have been sick , oh well.

GeekyDad

friskykillface said:
:D :D :D :D :D finally lol, someone is trading it on goozex

:)

Yeah, just went through my library. Gonna trade in a few games to GS for it. Looks like they're running a deal for an extra $10 back for three trade-ins. Trust me, I won't miss Kane & Lynch 2.

depward

Really tempted to pick this up... though I do have some reservations:

1) I haven't really played any RE games. I have played the RE5 demo and it was alright.. but I felt like the controls were janky. Maybe it's because I wasn't used to them or maybe it's because I haven't played any RE games before. I did hear the controls in Mercs 3D are better than RE5s.

2) No idea if the game will click for me. From the youtube vids I've watched, it looks like good fun. I think I would like it more as a portable game than one on my HD console, as I tend to only play multiplayer games on my HD console and single player ones on portables.

I do like knowing there is online co-op; I think that could really help extend the longevity of the game for me.

Hmm, decisions decisions...

depward said:
Really tempted to pick this up... though I do have some reservations:

1) I haven't really played any RE games. I have played the RE5 demo and it was alright.. but I felt like the controls were janky. Maybe it's because I wasn't used to them or maybe it's because I haven't played any RE games before. I did hear the controls in Mercs 3D are better than RE5s.

2) No idea if the game will click for me. From the youtube vids I've watched, it looks like good fun. I think I would like it more as a portable game than one on my HD console, as I tend to only play multiplayer games on my HD console and single player ones on portables.

I do like knowing there is online co-op; I think that could really help extend the longevity of the game for me.

Hmm, decisions decisions...
Buy it. I don't think anyone is regretting it, unless you expected a deep story-based singleplayer adventure.
It's the perfect modern handheld game that you can (re)play for various timespans.

So, can one of you say how works this ploton of two medal? "Five melee attacks in a row" need me and my partner stun a bunch enemies, then go meleeing them for five times without shooting/picking/make something else?
Great, I'll never have this medal...

So, is Rebecca, at stock, pretty much the WIN button? She has tons of herbs, only two weapons, which means ammo flow is fantastic for her grenade launcher, and her melee attacks are powerful (Stun Gun kills double chainsaw majini in two hits).

I can pretty much S-rank anything with her in my sleep.

Santerestil said:
So, can one of you say how works this ploton of two medal? "Five melee attacks in a row" need me and my partner stun a bunch enemies, then go meleeing them for five times without shooting/picking/make something else?
Great, I'll never have this medal...
It's even more difficult than that. You have to perform the finisher melee 5 times in a row, the one that you can do only after your partner has melee'd a strong/boss enemy once already.

Essentially you have to go to GameFAQs and set up a game with a specific person where getting that medal is the only goal and both people know they are doing it. Only one person can get it, the other will just be setting up the melees for them.

GeekyDad

This guy really makes this game look fun. I was never great at RE4's Mercs, so his item/ammo management seems pretty damn good. Not sure how he/she played that well while recording 3DS off-screen footage.

MooMoo

GeekyDad said:
This guy really makes this game look fun. I was never great at RE4's Mercs, so his item/ammo management seems pretty damn good. Not sure how he/she played that well while recording 3DS off-screen footage.
Hm, well item and ammo management is heavily streamlined compared to RE4/RE5 mercs. In the 3DS version, there's no attache case/9 slots to manage; ammo, herbs, and grenades are just automatically added to your inventory with no space limitations. Plus Rebecca's loadout only has two guns, which explains why the guy playing has so much machine gun ammo :p I do like how at the beginning he exploited the healing invincibility frames to avoid getting hit. He's pretty good though. I have a rough time getting good ranks in solo mode.

SmithnCo

Yeah, item management is really streamlined in this game.

I was playing RE5 Mercs and I forgot you have to hold down a button to run in that game for a second, I'm glad you don't have to do that in this game. The combo timer is also more strict in that game, it took me a while to get used to it.

GeekyDad

Yeah, I should clarified. I was more impressed with how he was going back and forth between guns to use the right tool for the job. :)

Saving flash nades for those right moments and going right back to the machine gun for maintenance kills. Good stuff.

Top Bottom