• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

beje

Banned
OK, I don't know if I'm being stupid but I keep failing 3-1 because I don't find any single time totem at all. Any hint?

SmithnCo

beje said:
OK, I don't know if I'm being stupid but I keep failing 3-1 because I don't find any single time totem at all. Any hint?

Just kill every enemy and the mission will end.

I forget but it might be one of the tricky ones to SS too... But Jill's knife + lighting skill makes those easy.

beje

Banned
SmithnCo said:
Just kill every enemy and the mission will end.

I forget but it might be one of the tricky ones to SS too... But Jill's knife + lighting skill makes those easy.

Cool, made it. I was deviating too much from the path all the enemies are while searching for totems.

Reknoc

Nooo 5-2 :( What the hell double chain saw guy, what game are you even supposed to be from.

What's with alternate costume Jill's face? Her eyes look all wrong making her look older. Makes her look like a prostitute past her prime.

Reknoc

TheBaldEmperor said:
Those guys can be a pain. From RE4.

Oh one of the extra modes? Never really played them much. He is a pain though, like a Garrador and Dr. Salvador had a hyperactive child.

Ken

Vyse The Legend said:
So, is Rebecca, at stock, pretty much the WIN button?

If you're going for all melees for the time bonus which eventually means a higher score, then no. Aside from her head cracker at %50 critical rate, she has terrible melee moves on normal enemies.

If you just want to blow stuff up, sure, but the Red9 + 2way G. Launcher might be better at that.

SmithnCo said:
He really is OP, lol.

If only he had better costumes. :(

GeekyDad

Finally got a copy. Pretty much turned the 3D off after the tutorial missions. Seems to add little, other than being distracting when the screen gets slightly jostled. Definitely more challenging than videos make it look. I think I spent all of five minutes with RE4 Mercs, so I'll definitely need to grow as a player. I dig it, though. Just finished my first Duo mission. Very fun.

Any tips as far as switching out weapons on the fly? Tapping the touch screen just doesn't feel as fluid as I'd like. Also, after a melee finisher, it seems random the direction you'll be facing. You might approach an enemy from one direction and end up facing the opposite way it seems after the melee. Is it always a 180, or does it depend on various factors? What's the best way to predict the direction you'll be facing?

SmithnCo

GeekyDad said:
Any tips as far as switching out weapons on the fly? Tapping the touch screen just doesn't feel as fluid as I'd like. Also, after a melee finisher, it seems random the direction you'll be facing. You might approach an enemy from one direction and end up facing the opposite way it seems after the melee. Is it always a 180, or does it depend on various factors? What's the best way to predict the direction you'll be facing?

For melees it depends on what kind of melee you do, if you run slightly "past" a guy and see the melee change, it's a back melee and will probably turn you 180 degrees, most front melees don't do that though in my experience.

As for weapons I prefer the touch screen, it feels more natural to move my figure to the side rather than down to hit the d-pad. Plus I don't think you can choose explosives without using the touch screen.

bigswords

I can't believe that there are actually people who bought a "game mode" that comes with the previous retail game. And bought it at full retail price.

I love Capcom, but this is really shit business practice IMO.

Ken

GeekyDad said:

I like to use the D-pad for weapons and touch screen for explosives.

The direction you end up in depends on the melee move.

Reknoc

I'm surprised they didn't assign explosives to the left and right directions. Not a massive bother for me since I don't find using the d-pad that comfortable for switching weapons.

GeekyDad

Reknoc said:
I'm surprised they didn't assign explosives to the left and right directions. Not a massive bother for me since I don't find using the d-pad that comfortable for switching weapons.

Yeah, I think instead of wasting that real estate on voice commands, they should have used the X button to switch out main weapons. Otherwise, everything seems to work once you get used to it.

Diggin' it so far. Played a couple of co-op missions last night, which were fun. Do your ranks in Duo missions count toward unlocking things in the game, or just the solo rankings?

SmithnCo

GeekyDad said:
Diggin' it so far. Played a couple of co-op missions last night, which were fun. Do your ranks in Duo missions count toward unlocking things in the game, or just the solo rankings?

Yes, duo rankings count.

MooMoo

GeekyDad said:
Yeah, I think instead of wasting that real estate on voice commands, they should have used the X button to switch out main weapons. Otherwise, everything seems to work once you get used to it.

Thankfully, duo ranks count as well as solo ranks.

bigswords said:
I can't believe that there are actually people who bought a "game mode" that comes with the previous retail game. And bought it at full retail price.

I love Capcom, but this is really shit business practice IMO.

If you read the thread you will see that a lot of fun is being had. It's been my most played 3ds game at a little over 50 hours. I like this game so much that I would buy a sequel with more characters and additional levels.

GeekyDad

Very cool. Thanks. I'll probably lean on better players to S and SS the later missions. Have to get Rebecca's nurse outfit. ;)

depward

Yeah, I bit the bullet for a reduced price-point (due to getting some giftcards for my birthday) and I'm finding it good fun. I get the argument that it's just a mode for other RE games but I'm liking the unlockables, online play works well (which is something to be said that they included it, because a LOT of these early 3DS games are not including online play when they should be) and the gameplay works really well on a handheld.

I might suggest that a $40 price is a little steep... but from $20 - $30 you can have some fun with it and get your money out of it.

GeekyDad

All right, one more question:

So, your duo play counts toward unlockables, but is that only when hosting, or do you also get rank credit at the end of a mission you've joined?

Ken

GeekyDad said:
All right, one more question:

So, your duo play counts toward unlockables, but is that only when hosting, or do you also get rank credit at the end of a mission you've joined?

Duo play counts towards unlockables regardless of if you are hosting or joining. You only get rank credit if you successfully complete the mission.

Well, 5-5 wasn't so bad

But 5-4 sucks. The prison almost feels too big

At least I know how to unlock each character's weapon loadout without the use of play coins

GeekyDad

lazybones18 said:
Well, 5-5 wasn't so bad

But 5-4 sucks. The prison almost feels too big

At least I know how to unlock each character's weapon loadout without the use of play coins

Yeah, just tried 5-4 for the first time a few minutes ago...didn't go well. I didn't see the rocket-launcher dude they place right there at the beginning of the level. Went right for the red-dildo-looking-time-extender thing and got an RPG to the face.

GeekyDad

lazybones18 said:
Alright, managed to finally pull off a 150 combo on Solo

4-1 with Wesker

I bow to you, sir. I'm impressed by anyone who can pull off a 150 combo in Duo, let alone Solo.

And I'm successful at obtaining another 150 combo on Solo using Wesker. This time on 4-4

The flash grenades worked wonders in helping me get extra time added

GeekyDad

Well, after 20-some hours, I decided to check out the Revelations demo (I wanted to savor it). Folks weren't kidding when they said it was short. Shoot one enemy, watch a dude get killed, and it's over.

However...wow at how Revelations looks on 3DS. Such a stark contrast to Mercs 3D. It is by far the best-looking thing I've seen running on 3DS. That is some impressive stuff right there. I tried to view it both with the 3D on and off, and I took the time to get up close to some of the textures, which surprisingly held up okay.

I'm so stoked for the game.

If there's one thing I have an issue with when I play as Wesker, it's the herbs do jack shit when I try to heal. If my health is in the red, it shouldn't take 2-3 herbs to get me back to decent health

GeekyDad

lazybones18 said:
If there's one thing I have an issue with when I play as Wesker, it's the herbs do jack shit when I try to heal. If my health is in the red, it shouldn't take 2-3 herbs to get me back to decent health

According to the FAQ, that's due to his weapons loadout. You could perhaps try another loadout, say, Rebecca maybe for better regen.

NateDrake

Yea, the game may be a bit shallow in content but I just keep on going back to it. I wish there were more levels to play and more 'Wave' type missions but I love this game. It may not be worth $40 to everyone but if you can get it for $30 it is a steal.

It's addicting and the fun never ends. The EX missions are still challenging even after beating them once. Definitely a solid game that is getting over looked.

Codeblue

NateDrake said:
Yea, the game may be a bit shallow in content but I just keep on going back to it. I wish there were more levels to play and more 'Wave' type missions but I love this game. It may not be worth $40 to everyone but if you can get it for $30 it is a steal.

It's addicting and the fun never ends. The EX missions are still challenging even after beating them once. Definitely a solid game that is getting over looked.

Yeah, I've been eyeing the game, but I haven't seen anyone selling it for less than MSRP.

Ken

lazybones18 said:

How much health a herb heals changes depending on the character and his costume.

IIRC Ouroboros Wesker has ridiculously low healing by herbs but the highest defense of everyone. For every character except Chris, one costume will have greater defense but lower healing, and the second costume will have a lower defense but a higher healing. Last I checked, Chris' pilot suit has both increased defense and increased healing over his normal costume for whatever reason.

If you're duoing or have a friend to play with, you could take advantage of the fact that your partner will heal you for the same amount they can heal themselves. So Nurse Rebecca would be a great healing partner for Ouroboros Wesker.

Pachimari

Just started playing the review copy of this game, and is wondering how to shoot in third person, even running while shooting - better check out the manual.

Ken

Anastacio said:
Just started playing the review copy of this game, and is wondering how to shoot in third person, even running while shooting - better check out the manual.
Change from FPS to TPS in the start menu options.

Move while aiming by holding L while holding R and moving the analog nub.

GeekyDad

NateDrake said:

Yeah, Mission 4-5 is one of my favorites. Wish there was an endless version of that mission. A true survival mode with at least four different locales would have shot the review scores up for this game quite a bit, I think. I really don't understand why it's not a feature.

beje

Banned
Lol, sometimes I feel like I'm cheating when I play with other people online and get SS + a bazillion ability points. I barely can get an A (most of the times a B) when playing solo on Level 4 missions.

GeekyDad

I'm curious, and perhaps someone who's more knowledgeable about these sorts of things could answer the question -- something the kids over on GameFAQs seem to be hoping for. Is it even possible for Capcom to offer DLC for this game? The impression I got was the game wasn't really designed to allow for DLC. Is that even something they could implement after the fact?

GeekyDad said:
I'm curious, and perhaps someone who's more knowledgeable about these sorts of things could answer the question -- something the kids over on GameFAQs seem to be hoping for. Is it even possible for Capcom to offer DLC for this game? The impression I got was the game wasn't really designed to allow for DLC. Is that even something they could implement after the fact?

Impossible.

The "hooks" for DLC are coming later this year, according to Iwata.

So, as with all of Capcom's recent games, expect a Mercenaries Reunion 3D next year.

GeekyDad

Vyse The Legend said:
Impossible.

The "hooks" for DLC are coming later this year, according to Iwata.

So, as with all of Capcom's recent games, expect a Mercenaries Reunion 3D next year.

I wasn't referring to paid DLC -- what Iwata seemed to be referring to recently -- more something along the lines of what Samurai Warriors Chronicles has offered.

Top Bottom