• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

GJS

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
Judging from the videos, the audio is complete low quality shit, the 3DS can surely do better than this, right?
You can't really judge the quality of the audio recorded via a built in microphone close to the 3DS.

I don't think there are any videos which have taken the audio directly from the 3.5mm socket yet.

dreamfall

I really just want to buy this for the Revelations demo. Any word if Sheva will be a playable character? Dead or Alive is still in heavy rotation, but I want to try this!

SmithnCo

dreamfall said:
I really just want to buy this for the Revelations demo. Any word if Sheva will be a playable character? Dead or Alive is still in heavy rotation, but I want to try this!

Sheva isn't playable, sadly.

SmithnCo

xXJonoXx said:
Does Jill have the Battlesuit armor costume in this game?

No, her alt is her RE3 costume:

ojXXc.jpg

This game looks like a bad rush job and doesn't even have things in it that should have been included.

RE 3D

+ Claire included
+ RPG elements
+ Portable
+ Co op RE4 stages
+ RE4 and RE5 characters can play any stage
+ Kinda has a pseudo character campaign
+ Cool alternate costumes
+ Two screens
+ 3D

- No Leon
- No Sheva
- No Josh
- No Ada
- No Excella
- No Battle Suit Jill. STARS Wesker. Shirtless Chris alts so forth
- Zero new content besides the above
- No new modes besides the standard time attack (No excuse with a standalone release)
- Fewer enemies

RE4 / 5

+ Includes main characters (Sheva and Leon)
+ Has HD auido and visuals
+ Has more enemies/memory compared to the 3DS vers.
+ Better online infrastructure
+ More people play these versions
+ Versus mode (not sure if this is in Mercenaries 3D if im wrong ignore this)
+ Move support for PS3 RE5 Gold

- No RE4 co op
- No RE4 online
- Separate games

I'm finding it hard to spend 35 additional dollars for a less superior product.

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
This game looks like a bad rush job and doesn't even have things in it that should have been included.

RE 3D
+ RPG elements
+ Portable
+ Co op RE4 stages
+ RE4 and RE5 characters can play any stage
+ Kinda has a pseudo character campaign
+ Cool alternate costumes
+ Two screens
+ 3D

- No Leon
- No Ada
- Zero new content besides the above
- No new modes besides the standard time attack (No excuse with a standalone release)
- Fewer enemies

I'm finding it hard to spend 35 additional dollars for a less superior product.
I have to agree that Capcom really did mess up a good opportunity. If they had at least included Leon and Ada, a few new stages and an additional mode then I think one could justify the $35. Even then it's still borderline. I like the basis of the idea and think if marketed and with enough content it could be Resident Evil's "Mario Kart". The idea of playing all major RE characters from the games fighting together against RE enemies across multiple locations throught out the series sounds very appealing. Also lends itself easy for future instalments with other locations, lesser known characters, older enemies such as zombies, crimson heads, Tyrants, Mr. X, Nemesis, mission mode, etc . However, Capcom blundered imo and chose the cheap route.

fionel

Lord_Byron28 said:
I have to agree that Capcom really did mess up a good opportunity. If they had at least included Leon and Ada, a few new stages and an additional mode then I think one could justify the $35. Even then it's still borderline. I like the basis of the idea and think if marketed and with enough content it could be Resident Evil's "Mario Kart". The idea of playing all major RE characters from the games fighting together against RE enemies across multiple locations throught out the series sounds very appealing. Also lends itself easy for future instalments with other locations, lesser known characters, older enemies such as zombies, crimson heads, Tyrants, Mr. X, Nemesis, mission mode, etc . However, Capcom blundered imo and chose the cheap route.

What you described is exactly what I expected in the first place, so I am just as disappointed to find that they released this with minimal contents for quick cash. While we might think they cheaped out on this one and should suffer on sales, from last week's Famitsu this one has sold 70k+ in Japan already. To them I believe the sales justified the reason they choose the cheap route. Not only does the game sell reasonably well already by only including minimal contents, this also leaves room for easy expansion (which might require even less work) for future installments.

My hype has gone down a bit :(
it really should have came out in the first two months
I'll most likely try to trade Zelda OoT for it after i'm done with it or get it from goozex.

I'm still pissed at a no RE3 type mercenaries mode being added , that was the best mode.

fionel said:
What you described is exactly what I expected in the first place, so I am just as disappointed to find that they released this with minimal contents for quick cash. While we might think they cheaped out on this one and should suffer on sales, from last week's Famitsu this one has sold 70k+ in Japan already. To them I believe the sales justified the reason they choose the cheap route. Not only does the game sell reasonably well already by only including minimal contents, this also leaves room for easy expansion (which might require even less work) for future installments.
I'm curious if they were able to do DLC. It seems pointless and rather dumb to not include all the characters available in RE4 and RE5 Mercenaries. I still don't get the logic to include Krauser, Rebecca and Barry but not Leon and Ada in terms of selling and marketing the game.

cvxfreak

I'm pretty much convinced Capcom will be making a sequel to this game, either on 3DS and/or maybe on Vita. It'll have more missions, a longer campaign and Leon/Ada/Sheva/RE Revelations characters.

fionel

Lord_Byron28 said:
I'm curious if they were able to do DLC. It seems pointless and rather dumb to not include all the characters available in RE4 and RE5 Mercenaries. I still don't get the logic to include Krauser, Rebecca and Barry but not Leon and Ada in terms of selling and marketing the game.

Well there was never a RE game with all the characters in it. I suppose they think that having the Bravo team + Claire is already strong enough for marketing, and if they included everyone in this game already, who's gonna buy their next game? ;)

SmithnCo

cvxfreak said:
I'm pretty much convinced Capcom will be making a sequel to this game, either on 3DS and/or maybe on Vita. It'll have more missions, a longer campaign and Leon/Ada/Sheva/RE Revelations characters.

Definitely. Either that or it will go to HD systems after they are done focusing on Operation Raccoon City. And that Parker guy from Revelations would probably be included.

Boney

Banned
Lord_Byron28 said:
They couldn't be assed to make 4 new Melee moves for older characters. Don't ask me why the other RE5 ain't in them.

cvxfreak said:
I think so as well. It's a test for the platform and that style of game but based on the producer's comments it seems like they are already interested in continuing it as a spin-off franchise.

Well there was never a RE game with all the characters in it. I suppose they think that having the Bravo team + Claire is already strong enough for marketing, and if they included everyone in this game already, who's gonna buy their next game? ;)
Well there is still plenty of other RE characters they could include. There's Excella, Josh, Sheva, Carlos, Luis, Ashley, Steve, and plenty of other characters they could delve into. They could dabble into L4D style and have you play as a strong RE enemy such as Mr. X, El Gigante, Nemesis, Tyrant, Chainsaw guy, executioner, etc. against multiple RE protaganists.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
No sale for me. It's just too lazy. With a bit of effort this could have been a big seller, but as always Capcom have to give you a 'test' game before they bring the real goods. I'm not falling for that again.

Vyse The Legend said:
Just picked up the US version in NYC. :)
Can you confirm if it's possible to delete your save in the US version?

APPARENTLY in the japanese original, you cannot. I think it was 8-4 Play or WAHP that said it was a way to combat used game sales which basically made the resell price plummet to 500 yen.

samoset

Sectus said:
It's confirmed to be out.
Wow that really bums me out. I was hoping for a friends leaderboard at least to extend the score based gameplay. There's really no excuse for no inclusion of leaderboards whatsoever.

In the gameinformer preview it said that you can still move while in aiming mode. Does this mean your forced to aim with the buttons or touchscreen? Or can you still use the circle pad for both movement and aiming, like RE4/5? If it's only the first option then I need to cancel my pre-order immediately.

params7

Banned
All these RE's on Nintendo's consoles from rail shooters to this one are alienating me from the very franchise that was my favorite growing up. I hope one day they'll do port them over so we can all play them on one console for the storyline.

I also wish Carlos or even Billy would come back as side heroes once again in one of these games.

params7 said:
All these RE's on Nintendo's consoles from rail shooters to this one are alienating me from the very franchise that was my favorite growing up. I hope one day they'll do port them over so we can all play them on one console for the storyline.

I also wish Carlos or even Billy would come back as side heroes once again in one of these games.

Yes, damn Capcom for putting games on Nintendo systems.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Rush2thestart said:
Yes, damn Capcom for putting games on Nintendo systems.
"When I play RE on Nintendo consoles, it doesn't feel the same anymore!"

meltingparappa said:

APPARENTLY in the japanese original, you cannot. I think it was 8-4 Play or WAHP that said it was a way to combat used game sales which basically made the resell price plummet to 500 yen.
I don't see the option anywhere either. I checked in-game and the system data management. Unless there's a hidden button press, it's not there.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:

...and there goes my interest. Was REALLY hoping for a proper 'Horde' style survival mode as I HATE the time attack shit. A stage-based wave survival experience with persistant upgrades would have been great.

beje

Banned
meltingparappa said:

WAT? Talk about idiotic DRM

Vyse The Legend said:
I don't see the option anywhere either. I checked in-game and the system data management. Unless there's a hidden button press, it's not there.

Check the manual just in case...

beje said:
WAT? Talk about idiotic DRM
Seriously terrible. If not for the re-sell reason, than for killing the replay value.

Better write our outraged kotaku articles in advance. "New game plus? More like NO GAME plus."

Or time to write a hardmod FAQ on how to use a magnet on the precise spot on the cart the save data is located.

blurrygil

Vyse The Legend said:

Un. Be. F**kin. 'Lieveable...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
blurrygil said:
Un. Be. F**kin. 'Lieveable...

Vicious cycle of the game industry:

Games become increasingly disposable, leading to increased used sales.

Increased used sales are combated by making games MORE disposable.

????

... profit...?

I ordered the game through the Capcom store to get that sweet limited case and order a RE shirt.

I'm thinking I may just end up not even opening the game and exchange it for something that I want.

Can't delete saves and no leaderboards, on top of no Leon? Horseshit.

kaskade

I'm not really sure what to think of this. Mercenaries mode was fun as a bonus thing to do, I don't know if I really care to play it on a hand held though. I think I'm just going to wait and see how revelations turns out.

Teknoman

SkyMasterson said:
I ordered the game through the Capcom store to get that sweet limited case and order a RE shirt.

I'm thinking I may just end up not even opening the game and exchange it for something that I want.

Can't delete saves and no leaderboards, on top of no Leon? Horseshit.

I can understand complaints about lack of certain modes or characters, but not being able to delete your save in a game of this type isnt that big of a deal.

Its a very strange way to fight used game sales (unless they have some other reason) for sure, but it doesnt seem like it'll have an effect on people who will want to keep the game anyway.

Unless the data for the save is on the SD card?

Top Bottom