• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

watershed

Banned
Flib said:
This really is one of those games with so many issues, but in the end it's supremely addictive. It is a bit light on content though.
Wait so you already have the game? How are the controls? I first played mercenaries with RE4 and loved it but after playing RE I felt like I was fighting the controls more than I was the "zombies". I'm afraid this game will make me feel the same way, that RE needs to change its control scheme if its gonna try to be more like a third person shooter than a survival horror. Since Mercenaries is all about action I am particularly concerned about this.

On one hand, the game does look hella fun and I'm looking forward to playing it, but on the other hand, I'd feel kinda slimy supporting a practice like this...

Feh. I'll probably end up getting it anyway. I wouldn't deign to pass up a fun time out of some misguided attempt to boycott a company that wouldn't even miss my money. >.<

Too lazy to cancel my preorder, anyway.

NEO0MJ

Electivirus said:
On one hand, the game does look hella fun and I'm looking forward to playing it, but on the other hand, I'd feel kinda slimy supporting a practice like this...

You must help us pass Capcom's test!

mr_chun

cacophony said:
This looks good but not $40 good. Has it been said how long it is?
30 missions that I'd imagine are at least five to ten minutes in length a piece, so that's about two and a half to five hours. Initial reviews/impressions have said that unlocking everything will take around 30 hours.

That, and it's an arcade game at heart, with online co-op. The replayability is infinite, if it's your cup of tea.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Aussies: Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D on sale already

re-receipt.jpg

Another street date 'break'.

Kevtones

Gravijah said:
Was that ever confirmed to be actual DLC and not stuff on the cart?

I know the DOA stuff was confirmed as DLC although I think the Samurai Warriors stuff is a combination of both cart/DLC stuff.

They're doing 21 weeks of DLC btw.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
I prefer handheld saves to be tied to the cartridge, but that's just me. I think the Vita will be doing the same thing?
Correct. NGP will put saves on the cart, just like the DS/3DS. I like it this way, so no complaints from me.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Izayoi said:
Correct. NGP will put saves on the cart, just like the DS/3DS. I like it this way, so no complaints from me.

The problem is that you cannot delete these saves from the cart. This affects the used game market and also means that there is no way to start over if you want to. Having them purposefully lock the saves so that they cannot even be wiped clean is ridiculous.

I'm still getting this game though. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow.

Since THIS thread is filled with people who will buy the game, who's the brave soul that'll try corrupting their save to see if that resets things?

Also the personal downside to the no save issue is that a co-worker who was originally going to buy it with me has decided to back out (though it's more the $40 price tag than anything). Co-op RE5 was some of the most fun I've had with the series.

Does anyone know how the online is set up in this game? Profile-based? Can those be altered or deleted, even if the primary save can't?

I mean it's not like every used copy will have to go online with the name the original user picked.

I guess I'll find out soon enough, the game should be waiting for me at home today (shipped from Capcom store).

Effect

My copy shipped out today from Amazon. They had release day delivery available for the game. Saving still bothers me but oh well. Game looks to good to pass up and seems to have a decent amount of content.

Yuterald

I'm picking up my copy Tuesday. I'm not terribly excited since I know what to expect, but it should be fun online with some buddies. The whole 'unable to delete save file issue' is a shame, but it doesn't really bother me since I'm buying it day one.

kunonabi

I'll pick up mercs but I'm still irritated at how gimped it is in terms of content. I just picked up Pilotwings and OOT3D so I'll wait for a price drop. If capcom wanted me to pay full price they should have put some actual effort into it.

Borman

Just a quick first impression (double) post. The graphics look great, except for one (fairly major) detail : Enemies in the distance are rendered at a lower framerate, making them move choppy. Its really quite jarring, as the game looks pretty great other than that. Controls are taking some time to get use to, Ive only used the 3rd person shooting mode rather than the first. Making my way through the missions now.

Ken

What kind of DLC is there for this?

Totally forgot this game was coming out on the 28th until I saw the thread about saves on the front page. Might pick it up with Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 today.

Flib

Baloonatic said:
How do you unlock skills? Do you use points that you earn through finishing missions?

Skills are unlocked by beating missions/getting better grades. Whatever skills you have equipped while playing gain experience depending on how well you perform. There is also a skill you can equip which drastically improves your exp for the other two skills equipped.

artwalknoon said:
Wait so you already have the game? How are the controls? I first played mercenaries with RE4 and loved it but after playing RE I felt like I was fighting the controls more than I was the "zombies". I'm afraid this game will make me feel the same way, that RE needs to change its control scheme if its gonna try to be more like a third person shooter than a survival horror. Since Mercenaries is all about action I am particularly concerned about this.

The controls are pretty good...I've never been the best at Mercenaries in the other RE games, but have been doing really well in this (I've beaten all the missions since I picked it up on Saturday). You can finally move while shooting, albeit walking and not running, and you default to a run which helps. The controls are more tailored to action than the typical tank controls. If that's your issue, you should be fine.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ken said:

None. Capcom said they'd "look into it" but never planned it.

dyergram

Kinda gutted this doesn't come out till Friday I go on holiday on wed, maybe ill luck out and be able to grab it from the airport...

Borman said:
Just a quick first impression (double) post. The graphics look great, except for one (fairly major) detail : Enemies in the distance are rendered at a lower framerate, making them move choppy. Its really quite jarring, as the game looks pretty great other than that. Controls are taking some time to get use to, Ive only used the 3rd person shooting mode rather than the first. Making my way through the missions now.

that's what I noticed, enemies in the distance move at like 2 fps making them look like Game&Watch sprites. maybe I'm overreacting but damn, it surely doesn't look pretty

still buying it though

SmithnCo

Ken said:

Totally forgot this game was coming out on the 28th until I saw the thread about saves on the front page. Might pick it up with Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 today.

On a livestream the guy said they don't plan to do DLC, and basically said it was because the game is a launch title game so it would be trickier to implement it, or some such excuse.

They'd probably do another retail release before DLC, lol.

But anyway hopefully my copy comes tomorrow if USPS doesn't screw me over, should be fun.

For anyone on the fence about this one, if you like RE games, it takes a few missions to get used to, but this game is fantastic! I've had the game since the Japanese launch, and although playing solo is good, online is especially good. There are tons of unlockables, no DLC to worry about (I like my games finished when I purchase them), and it's the only game other than Dead or Alive that ever goes in my 3DS.

If you get it, definitely try out the online, it's a blast!

I posted this in the "Capcom ruined Mercenaries w/ the save thing" thread, but I think it also ought to go here as it's more relevant to the OT.

My initial impressions:

The graphics are awesome, 3D effect really brings the world to life in the same way it does OoT. For those who don't like 3D, 2xAA looks fantastic too. Far away enemies have a lower animation framerate but I can deal with it, it's a small price to pay for the rest of the game looking as good as it does. Doesn't hinder my ability to kill anything.

Combat is exactly how you would expect it to be - RE4 and 5 in the palm of your hand. Melee attacks are still super satisfying, Chris's stomp and Jill's knee drop work wonders on the basic enemies. Weapon loadouts are legitimately different and change your strategy (as expected). I saw in a video that you can eventually unlock any loadout with any character, so for example Claire using Krauser's bow. :D

I played one game online already as the host and we tore the level a new one, got rank SS and unlocked some skills. The game's got emotes too, you can say stuff like "over here" and "fall back."

Skills are like this: the more you play, the more you unlock. You can equip up to three skills at a time per character, and it remembers which ones you pick for each character. The two that I have now are Medic (improve vitality recovery) and Luck (improve resistance against instant kill). Other skills I've heard about include imbuing your melee attacks with lightning, reloading faster and increasing the amount of XP your other skills earn.

The skills you have equipped will earn XP when you complete a mission, more XP for better performance. I got around 90 XP for getting rank SS and 15 XP for rank B; individual skills seem to take 4000 XP to level up to two (out of three per skill). The third level of each skill is supposed to do something unique as well, such as also giving your partner a bonus to the relevant skill. Skill XP is shared among every character, I played as Jill with the same skills as Chris and they already had 250 XP.

Each of the 30 missions keeps track of a different rank for each character, so mission 1-1 has an S for Chris and an SS for Jill. I foresee a lot of replayability here, not just to play each mission with each character but also perfecting them.

There are 50 medals to collect - essentially achievements. Clear a mission without missing a shot, clear a mission without using Quick Turn, blow up an enemy by shooting his dynamite, even a couple mysterious "?" ones.

Options include four control schemes: game default, "aim and shoot together," "similar to FPS / TPS," and series' standard. They're hard to describe but there should be something for everyone. One was kind of like playing Metroid Prime, another was sort of like a twin stick shooter with aiming on ABXY. Default is fine though.

Other options include first person view vs. third person view while aiming, invert y/x/both/neither, aiming speed slowest/slow/default/fast/fastest. I like that kind of customization. Also you can choose between four colors for your laser sight and health meter.

All in all it seems like a great package and I hope other people at GAF give it a try.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SmithnCo said:
On a livestream the guy said they don't plan to do DLC, and basically said it was because the game is a launch title game so it would be trickier to implement it, or some such excuse.
Er right, even though Tecmo Koei has been doing DLC spotpass content since day 1. What a bunch of fucking clowns.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
UncleSporky said:
The skills you have equipped will earn XP when you complete a mission, more XP for better performance. I got around 90 XP for getting rank SS and 15 XP for rank B; individual skills seem to take 4000 XP to level up to two (out of three per skill). The third level of each skill is supposed to do something unique as well, such as also giving your partner a bonus to the relevant skill. Skill XP is shared among every character, I played as Jill with the same skills as Chris and they already had 250 XP.

Wow, that sounds like it will take a long time to level up all of the skills.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
UncleSporky said:
Does anyone know how the online is set up in this game? Profile-based? Can those be altered or deleted, even if the primary save can't?

I mean it's not like every used copy will have to go online with the name the original user picked.

I guess I'll find out soon enough, the game should be waiting for me at home today (shipped from Capcom store).
You gave some impressions above but did you ever figure this out?

Borman

Already beat all the missions, but still looking forward to going back and playing more.

Revelations looks great though :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Christ the sound quality in this game is dreadful.

Anasui Kishibe said:
:(
ah well. I'll buy it cheap...
It is theoretically possible to turn off auto-save and decline the offer to save after every mission, and keep your 3DS powered and in sleep mode forever. You're never forced to save anything.

But that's really not feasible or preferable, it's a score attack game and you want to be able to save your records and keep that skill progress.

MasterShotgun said:
Wow, that sounds like it will take a long time to level up all of the skills.
Yeah, it definitely will. Some reports say 30 hours or more.

By the way, the multi experience:

With local play or online friend games, it all works the same way - it's two player and you pick whether you want to be the host or the client. Client sits there looking for available games and host creates a game on the mission of your choice and waits for available clients. There's also global host/global client. The client in my global game appeared to have his name all starred out, unless the dude just used all stars for his name. I imagine friend games show the actual name.

The mission plays out exactly the same as it does in single player, enemies and powerups in the same location. When one player picks up more time you both get it, when the win conditions are met you both win. One player can dick around and do nothing and if the other guy is awesome you'll both get a good rank (i.e., I think I played with a super powered Japanese player).

I couldn't play the simple training missions in two player but I don't know why you'd want to. It appears that nearly all other missions can be played in multi though (as expected).

It seemed lag free enough, exactly what you'd expect from any other online game. I applaud the global friend code. Unlike OoT the game correctly shows others in your friend list that you're playing Mercenaries (though frustratingly as usual you can't message them or jump in).

EatChildren said:
Christ the sound quality in this game is dreadful.

Yeah, voice samples are pretty low quality. Did you use headphones? I think it's more evident there, but the surround is nice and gives you the advantage of knowing where your enemies are.

Music is good though, and guns, explosions, all the "normal" sound effects are serviceable. The Zealot yells are just kind of mushmouthed.

I just hosted three random games online, turns out that you can see others' names and the ***** guy I saw earlier either had a weird name or was Japanese. I met Jesus and some other guy, chrisc or something.

This game is amazing online. Holy hell, so much fun. Spent like 10 minutes running around the RE4 village with Jill, dodging Zealots and Garrador. We each saved each other from death and fought back to back more than once, meleeing dudes in the face. Got an A rank. I unlocked a new skill from it too, handgun proficiency.

It turns out that not all skills are created equal - the two I got earlier took 4000 points to level up once and 10000 to level up twice, but the new handgun skill needs 9000 points for its first level up.

You can pass/unlock singleplayer missions by playing online, it's just that it doesn't set a single player record for that mission.

cacophony

Thanks for the impressions.

Are the skills and medals the only unlockables? What about weapons/weapon upgrades. Also, how do you unlock the ability to get to use certain weapons with different characters.

Flib

cacophony said:

Are the skills and medals the only unlockables? What about weapons/weapon upgrades. Also, how do you unlock the ability to get to use certain weapons with different characters.

You unlock the weapon loadouts using the system's Play Coins, once you've unlocked the respective character.

cacophony said:

Everything the game saves:

- 30 skills x 3 levels per skill, i.e. your experience level in each
- characters you have unlocked
- missions you have unlocked
- medals you have earned
- alternate costumes you have unlocked
- weapon loadouts you have unlocked to be shared with other characters
- your high score on every mission with every character
- your skill setup for each character
- your option settings like control scheme and invert

Items do not change. Every loadout starts you with the same stuff on every character.

EDIT: There is one non-character specific loadout: the Red9 and two way grenade launcher. It costs 15 play coins while everyone else's costs 10 coins. When you unlock a loadout it stays unlocked for everyone.

Ken

EatChildren said:
None. Capcom said they'd "look into it" but never planned it.
Oh I see. I thought the DLC discussion on the page was about Mercenaries so I was confused for a bit.

Went to pick up DWG3 at Gamestop today and asked for Mercenaries but some kind of shipping error caused them to not have copies in stock in the morning.

Top Bottom