• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 REVEALED! 60man MP, 8p Co-op, 2 campaigns, etc HOLY $#!t

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Private Hoffman said:
Jstevenson actually said that most of it is in-game. The only time it will be pre-recorded is if they need to lessen the loading times.

For instance, the post-processing there includes the whole eye-lid waking up thing. Much easier to do that out of game than create a new effect in the game we're only going to use in that scene.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
msdstc said:
I have the same question. I'm all for this. I was going to pre-order soon anyways, but I was waiting on information similar to this. Also JS anything on a Limited edition or something of the sort?

Stay tuned.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
Okay that looked really good.

I think Insomniac was a bit unlucky with their E3 showing. They had a cool, 'relaxed' trailer. However I found the demonstration kinda anti-climatic.

I don't think it was a good choice showing the scripted segment of being chased by the Leviathan. All the viewers knew that whatever happened it could only be result A or B (either you do the right thing and proceed further, or you die. There's no inherent A.I to the boss). Scale is a keyword yes but the demonstration came down to a lot of stair walking, going in circles, navigating small items and such just to show off the gigantic boss. Now, after hearing Bryan talk (on 1up yours) about how that scene actually lacked effects such as the glass getting crushed in not to mention the little detail that the whole building is actually supposed to be on fire... There had been no way I would have chosen the same segment for demonstration. I actually believe the small part where you shoot down hordes of Grims in the back alley would have impressed more though I believe there's much more impressive open landscapes to be seen elsewhere in R2 that they could have used.

Anyways, the above movie demonstrated to me better the graphical caliber R2 will have than any media preceding it. The mocap looks stunning. So does the detail on the monsters as well as the lighting.

Yeah, there was a strong contrast in graphical detail between the awesome Leviathan and, say, the indoors. Especially when running down those stairs. There was almost no shadowing there and everything looked flat and clearly unfinished. My sentiments kept bouncing between wows and wtfs during the presentation :lol

But then again, I have faith.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
jstevenson said:
Stay tuned.

Alright cool thanks man... listen I don't mean to put down the game at all. I'm just saying those shots were incredible at the time, maybe I set my bar to high. Either way it looks nice, can't wait to get my hands on it.:D

mstsdc - please...just shut up. Nothing you posted makes a lick of sense. You're comparing direct grabs to a lot of poorly encoded vid captures.

The san fran footage alone is way better than those reveal shots. Give it a rest, we're tired of your constant complaining. Or will R2 now also have poor graphics sine you've seen it a few times, just like KZ2 has poor Ai since you've seen a few odd bahaviors in a couple of vids?

What a joke.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Aeon712 said:
Resistance would be the only game I would buy a collectors edition to. Long as it's not exclusive to EB/Gamestop >_<.

I agree.... except I would definitely get this AND LBP collectors edition. Insomniac always has the most fun extra stuff too.

jeremy_ricci said:
mstsdc - please...just shut up. Nothing you posted makes a lick of sense. You're comparing direct grabs to a lot of poorly encoded vid captures.

The san fran footage alone is way better than those reveal shots. Give it a rest, we're tired of your constant complaining. Or will R2 now also have poor graphics sine you've seen it a few times, just like KZ2 has poor Ai since you've seen a few odd bahaviors in a couple of vids?

What a joke.

Oh hush bitter fanboy. Bullshit on you calling me bias... besides I never did comparisons I'm comparing it to the video and the new shots from e3. Also I'm not the only fucking person who thinks the AI in KZ could use some work. But I also realize that there are 6 months left to finish it. Who the hell are you anyways?

TTP said:
Yeah, there was a strong contrast in graphical detail between the awesome Leviathan and, say, the indoors. Especially when running down those stairs. There was almost no shadowing there and everything looked flat and clearly unfinished. My sentiments kept bouncing between wows and wtfs during the presentation :lol

But then again, I have faith.

Ted said that segment is nowhere near finished, the entire building will be on fire in the final version.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Pai Pai Master said:
Ted said that segment is nowhere near finished, the entire building will be on fire in the final version.

I'm sure in the final game it will be epic. I got so pumped when I was watching the show and I saw that thing in motion. I'm looking forward to seeing it all come together though. The online has a lot of polishing left apparently, and I'm hoping it turns out well, because I spent incredible amounts of time on the first one.

gantz85

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:

I don't think the engine is going to look much better than it does now, but they can certainly add abit of spice here and there for the maps. I mean it's almost August and they probably have only another 2 months to move into gold mastering. Well, as long as it's a great game.

msdstc said:
I'm sure in the final game it will be epic. I got so pumped when I was watching the show and I saw that thing in motion. I'm looking forward to seeing it all come together though. The online has a lot of polishing left apparently, and I'm hoping it turns out well, because I spent incredible amounts of time on the first one.

It really does remind me a lot of God of War, but in a FPS...

The scenes in Resistance 2 are so, so epic.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Private Hoffman said:
It really does remind me a lot of God of War, but in a FPS...

The scenes in Resistance 2 are so, so epic.

I can't wait to see the other bosses... I know this is the biggest one, but I bet the other ones are just as epic.

Raistlin

Maggot9 said:
figures, fucking garbage episode save for the beta

:p

I'm actually pretty interested in the DC game though ... that segment could be good. The game's animation is terrible in its present state, but I think it has a ton of potential.

msdstc said:
Who the hell are you anyways?

iambatman.jpg

gbovo

BobsRevenge said:
So basically $3 for a beta? I'm sorry but I don't pay for betas. Since there is no other content on there worth it I'll have to pass. :(
you should feel lucky it's only $3. 360 owners had to pay $60 to play Halo 3's beta.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
gbovo said:
you should feel lucky it's only $3. 360 owners had to pay $60 to play Halo 3's beta.

And if he doesn't wanna pay for it he could just pre-order the game... the money goes towards the game anyways, PLUS you get it earlier.

bj00rn_

Banned
fanboi said:
Old?
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/jazzking2001/Resistance%202/res04.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/jazzking2001/Resistance%202/res05.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/jazzking2001/Resistance%202/res08.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I like that they now show a greater attention to detail, screens looks less dry than the previous game. Now all I hope for is a better feeling of being in the game, the feeling of "weight" to the character instead of the feeling like I'm just moving a camera around. If they manage to do that then I'll buy this game day one.

FirewalkR

I'd only seen the press conference demo in the lo-res streams, and yesterday I dl'ed it from the american store. The detail in the leviathan is amazing, I had a pause/look/rewind/look again party with it. :D

So, for anyone who didn't see that demo in HD, I recommend they do!

msdstc said:
No nothing

*snip*

This looks incredible. The lighting, the shadows, the scale, and how smooth everything looks.

*snip*

This looks almost like CGI. Not the character in the foreground, but all the objects and chimera in the background. They have a very soft look to them, and even the barbed wire looks really nice. Look how clean the shadows are and all of the lighting and character models.

Look I'm not here to argue, the newest video looks really nice, but it has a lot of bloom going on and it's extremely orange. These screen shots floored me. I thought it looked even better than KZ2, but it just ended up not looking QUITE like that, which is fine. The game should still be great, as long as they stick to their own ideas. From what I've seen they're trying to be too much like COD4, which is great for mainstream, but R1 to me was my favorite MP game this generation... probably the most fun I've had with an online game ever.

I think we need to see direct-feed footage of those areas for a better comparison. From what I've seen of their new lighting, it may even look better. It'll be interesting to compare screenshots when the game comes out.

EDIT: is there an HD version of this "european" video anywhere?

Ploid 3.0

I'm still waiting on my socom beta. Although I want to be in this resistance beta, I think it's best for me to wait until the game is finished. I'll put that $3 towards Ratchet and Clank: Quest For Booty instead.

Ted's is such a humble guy with his 'I'm Ted Price from Insomniac' when he clearly could have said 'I'm the king, all your jsstevensons belong to me'.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bearillusion said:
Ted's is such a humble guy with his 'I'm Ted Price from Insomniac' when he clearly could have said 'I'm the king, all your jsstevensons belong to me'.
Yes!

KZObsessed

jstevenson said:
Stay tuned.

OMG! It's because I asked for one before isn't it? It's ALL thanx to me isn't it??!!??

I had nothing to do with it did I?

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE THE UK OUT! DAY 1 LIMITED EDITION FOR ME!

My LE fetish will be appeased!

Kittonwy

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
I'm still waiting on my socom beta. Although I want to be in this resistance beta, I think it's best for me to wait until the game is finished. I'll put that $3 towards Ratchet and Clank: Quest For Booty instead.

R2 beta>SOCOM Beta, I don't need no SOCOM beta.
angry.gif

jmdajr

I just finished Resistance: Fall of Man a few days ago for the first time.

Man, what a great game. Awesome weapons.

cant wait for the sequel.

msdstc said:
This looks incredible. The lighting, the shadows, the scale, and how smooth everything looks.
The lighting, shadows, and scale (especially the AA, that's an Insomniac trademark) are ALL PRESENT in screens and video's we've seen. Seriously, different times of day, different area's, different fucking countries. OF COURSE THINGS LOOK DIFFERENT. Mid day (iceland) compared to sunset in a dusty alley (chicago) fucking look different. News at 11.

msdstc said:
This looks almost like CGI. Not the character in the foreground, but all the objects and chimera in the background. They have a very soft look to them, and even the barbed wire looks really nice. Look how clean the shadows are and all of the lighting and character models.
Really? The barbed wire? Let me ask you, did you see barbed wire in any of the new footage or screens? Is the absence of evidence suddnely evidence for absence? Now there's suddenly a discrepency because you haven't seen it? The last fucking video showed off AMAZING lighting and texture work on enemy character models, EASILY on par with the screens you posted. Open your eyes dammit, or wipe the damn vaseline from them.

msdstc said:
Look I'm not here to argue, the newest video looks really nice, but it has a lot of bloom going on and it's extremely orange. These screen shots floored me. I thought it looked even better than KZ2, but it just ended up not looking QUITE like that, which is fine. The game should still be great, as long as they stick to their own ideas. From what I've seen they're trying to be too much like COD4, which is great for mainstream, but R1 to me was my favorite MP game this generation... probably the most fun I've had with an online game ever.
Sunset it orange. Holy shit!

Don't try to butter up after you rag on it, it's quite obvious a lot of what you posted is utter shit, with absolutely no grounding. Just like the multitude of other comments you've made reference to other games. How you can see bad AI a handful of times and suddenly deduce that the entire game has AI problems is fucking beyond me. How you can deduce that R2 doesn't look like 'those screens' when we haven't seen those area's (actually we have in leaked vids, but low quality) and think it's not "quite" the same, is fucking stupid.

I thought the later levels of Mario Galaxy looked LEAGUES better than the first level. That does not mean Mario Galaxy was a fucking ugly game, it means different area's...OMFG...looked different! *gasp*

Come on JS do that video right and release the HD version I need to see San Fransisco in HD!

I love how the game starts exactly where the last one left off I think thats fantastic and just from
what little we have seen of the cinematics so far this game looks likes its going to have everything
that made R1 excellent but also everything they need to make it a truly triple A game.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wollan said:
I don't think it was a good choice showing the scripted segment of being chased by the Leviathan. All the viewers knew that whatever happened it could only be result A or B (either you do the right thing and proceed further, or you die. There's no inherent A.I to the boss). Scale is a keyword yes but the demonstration came down to a lot of stair walking, going in circles, navigating small items and such just to show off the gigantic boss. Now, after hearing Bryan talk (on 1up yours) about how that scene actually lacked effects such as the glass getting crushed in not to mention the little detail that the whole building is actually supposed to be on fire... There had been no way I would have chosen the same segment for demonstration. I actually believe the small part where you shoot down hordes of Grims in the back alley would have impressed more though I believe there's much more impressive open landscapes to be seen elsewhere in R2 that they could have used.
OTOH, why shouldn't an enthusiast gamer, likely the biggest consumer target of E3 (esp. in its new form) be able to appreciate a look at a developer's work in progress simply for what it is, not overreacting like a bunch of Chicken Littles because it isn't precisely representative of a finished product that still won't be available for another 4 months anyway?

This board bitches incessantly when nonrealtime CG is shown for an upcoming game, yet when a developer comes along and shows EXACTLY where they are with their realtime game engine, they're hassled for NOT hiding things with smoke and mirrors.

What's the point of taking Insomniac to task over this? Game's not finished and they typically do the majority of their visual effects work towards the end of the project. We know this. The only people this is a "problem" for are people too concerned with the console war pissing match.

Top Bottom