• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Beta : Impressions and Discussion

Loudninja said:
1.Killstreaks works the same you get a certain number of kills in a role and you can activate them.There are very reasonable counters to the killstreaks, one that is not in a beta is the EMP grenade that disables all shields and other devices for 6 seconds.I dont feel the killstreaks are really important so far, but they are fun to use and they don't piss me off.

2.You can die quickly if you are not paying attention, but I feel the health is just right.Head shots are key in this game.

3.Spawns are random from what I seen.

4.Yes there is a respawn time, I forgot how long but it is pretty short.You also get automatically respawn in like 40 seconds.

5.The loadout selection works as you imagine you pick a weapon, 2 abilities and 2 passive abilities.None of them so far seem over power to me.

6.I don't know yet remember this is a beta so we only got a small taste so far.
Thanks for the answers, it sounds like they are handling things pretty well in terms of killstreaks and abilities. I just don't want to play another game where those dominate the flow of every match. MW2 was the breaking point for me in that regard.

DarkChild

Banned
Thrakier said:
Right. R1 has 25% more pixels on screen and better art/modelling. Both use pre baked lighting (R3 in a more complex but less consistent wayn). Aesthetically it's just opionion, but I'm pretty sure who would win that if you tried to make a blind study about it. ;)

Also I encourage you guys to check the "skyboxes" aka the distant background in the beta. Just do it.
All games use pre baked lighting and some dynamic ones,even games like RAGE and MW3.Only ones that I know that don't use a single pre baked light or shadow are GTA IV and Crysis 2.

Insomniac engine is deferred renderer(like NDs,R*s and GGs) which gives them ability to use much more dynamic lights than forward renderer engine(like UE3) so you are wrong about that one. I do think that Insomniac dropped the ball this gen,they started good with RFOM but continued in bad fashion as far tech goes.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wait a minute. The Auger is only available as Kill Streak?
I consider myself a rational man but...
* Kicks rack of magazines *

Loudninja

Fersis said:
Yep,I think its best that way that Auger is a really powerful weapon.

patsu

I played a few more sessions yesterday.

Do we get weapon wheel in MP at all ? It's a shame Auger is only a kill streak reward. The original Auger is well balanced (slow firing rate and limited shield coverage).

Also confused by the options and rewards in the game. I used the Doppelgänger ability and that's about it.

Don't like too many shields in the game. I think they are too powerful.

How do I activate cloaking ? In KZ3, I have assorted super abilities to overcome cloaking. What's the counter here ?

Game is fast pace, which I like. Carbine still feels weak/flat although I can get some kills.

Thrakier

DarkChild said:
All games use pre baked lighting and some dynamic ones,even games like RAGE and MW3.Only ones that I know that don't use a single pre baked light or shadow are GTA IV and Crysis 2.

Insomniac engine is deferred renderer(like NDs,R*s and GGs) which gives them ability to use much more dynamic lights than forward renderer engine(like UE3) so you are wrong about that one. I do think that Insomniac dropped the ball this gen,they started good with RFOM but continued in bad fashion as far tech goes.

Yep, maybe, I'm no tech head, just telling what I see. In games like UC3 or Dead Space lights throw correct shadows on the surroundings incuding myself (selfshadowing?). This doesn't happen in R3. It's just "dark gun model" or "light gun model" in the MP. And even this doesn't work 100% correctly. I hope it's upgraded in the SP.

Loudninja

patsu said:
I played a few more sessions yesterday.

Do we get weapon wheel in MP at all ? It's a shame Auger is only a kill streak reward. The original Auger is well balanced (slow firing rate and limited shield coverage).

Also confused by the options and rewards in the game. I used the Doppelgänger ability and that's about it.

Don't like too many shields in the game. I think they are too powerful.

How do I activate cloaking ? In KZ3, I have assorted super abilities to overcome cloaking. What's the counter here ?

Game is fast pace, which I like. Carbine still feels weak/flat although I can get some kills.
The weapon wheel is in mutilplayer,the EMP grenade is not in the beat it will counter all shields. The cloak is a kill streak.

johntown

Banned
From what I have seen in videos it looks like the chimera players have an advantage because of the bullseye alt fire tag option.

They can tag and enemy and just run around a corner and shoot. Do the human players have anything to counter this?

Loudninja

johntown said:
From what I have seen in videos it looks like the chimera players have an advantage because of the bullseye alt fire tag option.

They can tag and enemy and just run around a corner and shoot. Do the human players have anything to counter this?
Ah anyone can use the bulleye.

patsu

Loudninja said:
The weapon wheel is in mutilplayer,the EMP grenade is not in the beat it will counter all shields. The cloak is a kill streak.

Where do I get an EMP grenade ? In fact, how do I pick up an additional grenade or more ammo ? By walking over a dead body ? I think I got some ammo doing that, but so far no new grenade yet.

If I pick up bulleye, I won't lose my Carbine ?

I just played my first match and i'm not liking this at all. I got matched with players level 10-20 for some reason, the resolution is killing me eyes, and the default movement is so fucking slow.

Loudninja

patsu said:
Where do I get an EMP grenade ? In fact, how do I pick up an additional grenade or more ammo ? By walking over a dead body ? I think I got some ammo doing that, but so far no new grenade yet.

If I pick up bulleye, I won't lose my Carbine ?
Sorry the EMP grenade is not in the beta, you get more ammo with a ammo beacon, you can upgrade it to give you grenades. Yes the weapon well is in multiplayer so what ever someone drops you can pick up.

Violater

Loudninja said:
Sorry the EMP grenade is not in the beta, you get more ammo with a ammo beacon, you can upgrade it to give you grenades. Yes the weapon well is in multiplayer so what ever someone drops you can pick up.

Loving the strapped ability.
Carbine
Shotgun

TheHakku

SuperSonic1305 said:
I just played my first match and i'm not liking this at all. I got matched with players level 10-20 for some reason, the resolution is killing me eyes, and the default movement is so fucking slow.
Same here. I'm struggling to level due to the matchmaking. Probably due to the small amount of people playing right now. PS3 froze right after my third game ended. Not booting up again until I hear of another patch.

Loudninja said:

It kinda sounds like an unfair advantage to the chimera, unless the EMP greande can also disable the cloak.

Loudninja

RockmanWhore said:
It kinda sounds like an unfair advantage to the chimera, unless the EMP greande can also disable the cloak.
Yes.

This is the EMP Grenade. You will learn to love it in MP. It disables any active MP ability for six seconds. This includes Bubble Shields, Cloak, the auger shield, turrets, thermal vision, beacons, etc. etc.

A player who uses it immediately evens the battle.
http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/index.php?topic=56041.0

patsu

Do we know where to get an EMP grenade now even if it's not in the beta ? Sounds very important. ^_^

... and where are the weapon wells in both maps ? I didn't see them !

Fersis said:
Agreed. Don't know why it's a killstreak reward. Should be able to use all weapons for loadouts.

Another thing I don't like is only one weapon to start off with. :-(

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
MrPliskin said:
Please tell me you're not comparing two MP levels to SP content...

That said, the radio broadcasts alone give the R3 MP stages more atmosphere than anything in FoM. Also, if you dont mind spoilers, watch the first 30 minutes. There's good reason the game has been getting praise.

I'm not trying to stir this back up, but damn you NEED to learn to read thoroughly before responding to a post. I've already stated MULTIPLE times, this is and OPINION, but not only that, but the game has YET to be released. I like what I see, but from an artistic standpoint I so far like FOM better, again this could change with the release, better or worse.

Also you saying "already has more atmosphere" is crap, sorry but that is your opinion. I loved the atmosphere in that moment, but FOM was loaded with atmosphere throughout the entire game. Also your "good reason it's getting praise" R2 got better reviews than RFoM and again this is an opinion, but I didn't even think they were close.

Loudninja

patsu said:
Do we know where to get an EMP grenade now even if it's not in the beta ? Sounds very important. ^_^

... and where are the weapon wells in both maps ? I didn't see them !
You most likely have to unlocked it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Bollocks said:
Holy Shit!
Wasn't so sure but with this info day 1 then :)
Please confirm that all SP trophies can be done in coop as well?
Most of the fun in RE5 came that way

Yeah, and you can dual-login if you play split-screen.

There are a couple of co-op only trophies as well

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Live Free or Die said:
Agreed. Don't know why it's a killstreak reward. Should be able to use all weapons for loadouts.

Another thing I don't like is only one weapon to start off with. :-(

Because the Auger isn't fun if you make it balanced with everything else. You basically have to nuke it because you can see through walls with it. If it's actually fun and powerful, everyone picks it.

Plus, even if it is relatively balanced, it isn't fun for people to get shot through walls all the time. We had the Auger as a loadout, we had it not in MP at all, and then we settled on killstreak. It's awesome when you actually get it though, and its fun in how it changes the dynamic on the battle field.

patsu

Loudninja said:
You most likely have to unlocked it.

Ouch. 8^(
I hope either they tone down the shields, or make EMP relatively easy to get.

Weapon well is not an unlockable right ? Otherwise, newbies will suffer like in MAG.

Is there custom game in R3 ?

patsu

jstevenson said:
Because the Auger isn't fun if you make it balanced with everything else. You basically have to nuke it because you can see through walls with it. If it's actually fun and powerful, everyone picks it.

Plus, even if it is relatively balanced, it isn't fun for people to get shot through walls all the time. We had the Auger as a loadout, we had it not in MP at all, and then we settled on killstreak. It's awesome when you actually get it though, and its fun in how it changes the dynamic on the battle field.

The old Auger is very slow, so people don't usually pick it.

It's a wonderful weapon to flush Snipers and group of holed up enemies from a building though. Is there an air fuel grenade in R3 ?

Loudninja

patsu said:
Ouch. 8^(
I hope either they tone down the shield, or make it relatively easy to get an EMP.

Weapon well is not an unlockable right ? Otherwise, newbies will suffer like in MAG.

Is there custom game in R3 ?
Just hold triangle.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
jstevenson said:

What happened with the auger from the first to second one? The auger was a damn good gun if you knew how to use it right, and it's lack of ammo really is what balanced it out for the most part. The shields were the perfect balance, because they weren't unfair, they just gave you enough to slow them down a little.

However in the second one the shields were huge and it shot like a machine gun. Would it not work as a pick up like that on the battlefield? Maybe not a loadout, but it never needed to be a killstreak originally.

patsu

James, I'm ok with Insomniac leaving out Auger in the default game since the team probably balanced the entire MP already.

Would it be possible to put Auger back into circulation in custom games ? Perhaps after launch ?

EDIT: *argh* I think problem is new Auger has higher firing rate. I agree limited ammo is a good way to gimp it too.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Also not trying to be a pain, but can we get a discussion going on the nades here? What are peoples thoughts?

Edit- Patsu look up at my post, completely agree with you.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
CozMick said:
I have a US beta code for someone who is a resistance veteran and hasn't got in yet.

Could I possibly grab this for my friend? He was a big time R1/2 fan.

Guess Resistance megafan here will plead one more time for a code.

Actually tried out PlaystationPlus anyways so will see if I get lucky with that...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
hmm... well can we share the beta? I was thinking maybe I'll just share with my friend if that's allowed and pass up the code CozMick was generous enough to share with me.

Massa

msdstc said:
hmm... well can we share the beta? I was thinking maybe I'll just share with my friend if that's allowed and pass up the code CozMick was generous enough to share with me.

You can play it on up to 5 different PS3's.

Hixx

Just won a code on twitter. I never win them so I was shocked to bits
KuGsj.gif

patsu

Loudninja said:
Anyone else love the look of the trainyard map and the weapons?

What weapons are available in the closed beta ?

I saw:
Carbine
Bulleye
Auger
Hedgehog
Frag
Shield
Sniper
Shotgun (?)
[May be something else. I couldn't recognize the silhouette]

lowrider007 said:
Is that a joke?, outside of the gun the modelling the RFoM pic owns the R3 pic, but from what I've seen of the beta and various videos the particle effects in R3 own most effects in RFoM.

I needed a good laugh today, thanks.

I love RFoM, but Thames compared to one screenshot of R3 looks way worse. There is literally no way it looks better.

DigiMish

DJ Crimson said:
I don't see how making it a killstreak now makes it anymore balance than it was before. Now you'll just have players be able to get the next killstreak easier and quicker which will only punish other team even more. Already seen it happen multiple times during the beta once they got the Auger, and done it myself.

It's more balanced because not everyone has it at the start. The point of debate was how to keep the Auger in the game, but make it relatively balanced compared to other weapons.

Regarding the players reaching the next killstreak easier with it - it's pretty standard now a la Call of Duty.

DigiMish

DJ Crimson said:
It was perfectly fine the way it was in RFOM like others have already mentioned. I can't say the same for R2's version of the weapon tho. So basically with the killstreaks, they want to make it even more accessible to attract the CoD fanbase. What a way to kill any uniqueness this franchise once had in the beginning.

Well, it was a pickup in Rfom - you didn't just start with it, and James said that they did not want to do weapon pickups in this game, so...

I mean yeah they could have gimped it via a variety of balances like quick overheating, less dmg., etc. - but then it wouldn't feel like the Auger.

jstevenson said:

Ok. I thought you could leave it in for loadouts then have like a perk or something that counters being able to be seen through walls.

Top Bottom