• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Beta : Impressions and Discussion

Thrakier

T-0800 said:
Game is fun and day 1 etc etc but....

The seaside level. The green!!! Looks like someone threw up radiation all over it. Looks horrible.

Yeah, they are having a little "style" problem since R2. R1 however...

123scj7.jpg

Just look at that tree...and compare it to the R3 trees. o_O

Loudninja

JB1981 said:
Has Insomniac released a list of the other gametypes that will be available, the number of maps, co-op info etc?
So far TDM, Free for All, Chain Reaction, and Breach.We know there are atleast 3 maps so far.

T-0800 said:
Game is fun and day 1 etc etc but....

The seaside level. The green!!! Looks like someone threw up radiation all over it. Looks horrible.

I've mentioned this previously but why have two rounds with a change of species with no difference between the two? R1 was great in this regard.

Oh did I mention the green? Yuck.
There's no difference between the species? That sucks.

JB1981

I remember the GAF Resistance 1 games .. they were epic .. one of the most dedicated groups i've ever played with and the meltdown games were insane. The franchise used to have more in common with twitch shooters like Unreal Tournament .... very fast paced, no iron sight BS, very little aim assist .. the bullseye back then was AMAZING

Gustav

Banned
Two major gripes with the game:

1. SubHD and narrow FOV hurting my eyes.
2. Slight zoom when sprinting makes narrow FOV even worse. It really makes me feel uncomfortable. And normally I have no motion sickness or similar.

Other than that I had more fun with this than with Killzone 3 MP! Day 1!

Loudninja

Thrakier said:
pic

Its really like you having been paying attention to anything R3 related at all.

JStevenson please give props to whoever decided to allow us to manually change the controls…no more accidental melees with the R3 button! :D

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Thrakier said:

123scj7.jpg

I know I sound like a broken record becuase I say this a lot but seriously, the modelling in RFoM was and still is amazing, the art, the setting, fucking amazing, still my favourite FPS of the generation.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
JB1981 said:
Has Insomniac released a list of the other gametypes that will be available, the number of maps, co-op info etc?

Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Capture the Flag
Breach
Chain Reaction

Number of Maps: TBA - revealed 3 16p so far. There will also be 8 and 4 player maps.

Co-op: Split-screen or Online. Entire campaign. Co-op player is Havenite John Harper. More on this way of playing soon

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This will be my the first Co Op Campaign ever. Probably gonna do it with Loudninja. :3

V_Ben

Banned
jstevenson said:
Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Capture the Flag
Breach
Chain Reaction

Number of Maps: TBA - revealed 3 16p so far. There will also be 8 and 4 player maps.

Co-op: Split-screen or Online. Entire campaign. Co-op player is Havenite John Harper. More on this way of playing soon

Split screen or online? Damn man, awesome news. I can play it with my flatmates! :D

T-0800

Thrakier said:

123scj7.jpg

One of the best moments in R1 is about to happen there....the snow.

Clearly someone left IG after R1. Someone involved in R2 and R3 is colourblind. I love the look of the Trainyard level in R3 though.

T-0800

MoonsaultSlayer said:
There's no difference between the species? That sucks.

If there is I can't tell what. Loved the difference in R1. Why they gave up on it I don't know.

R3 MP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sitting in a corner >>>>>>>>>>>> R2 MP

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I think when you see all of Resistance 3 you will not think the art team is colorblind. Controlled color yes, but not a lack of color.

Loudninja

T-0800 said:
One of the best moments in R1 is about to happen there....the snow.

Clearly someone left IG after R1. Someone involved in R2 and R3 is colourblind. I love the look of the Trainyard level in R3 though.
Are you blind?

MrPliskin

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Not enough. I like Rfom's way of differentiating.

It most definitely is enough. The difference between playing with a shield and playing with the cloak is pretty significant. The fact that they are kill streaks makes the two far more balanced than FoM, where Chimera were the go to for victory. Rage mode was considerably more powerful than infinite sprint and good radar.

Also, GAF: LOL its too brown. LOL its too Green. Make up your mind.

Thrakier: The trees in R3 are just as good, see: Oklahoma level.

MrPliskin said:
It most definitely is enough. The difference between playing with a shield and playing with the cloak is pretty significant. The fact that they are kill streaks makes the two far more balanced than FoM, where Chimera were the go to for victory. Rage mode was considerably more powerful than infinite sprint and good radar.

Troll: The trees in R3 are just as good, see: Oklahoma level.
I don't think I stopped to think about what was said to me and just jumped to wishing for Rfom differences. Chimera get the cloak, I presume? That actually does seem neat. Like the invaders have the sneaky cloak while the protectors have shields. My mistake for the hasty remark. I'm not in the beta and not asking to because I've not a lot of time... but I cannot wait for the full game. SP for sure but I'll dabble in the MP and see if it clicks with me.

DigiMish

Thrakier said:

123scj7.jpg

I don't understand - what are you trying to say by singling out a tree?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You guys are being a little unfair. That is a shot of the best looking level of Resistance 1. It is not a multiplayer map. And Resistance 1 is certainly limited in other ways.

But yeah, goddamn it looks amazing. It does not skimp on polygons. I think this means it will hold up much longer than games using texture tricks.

Violater

jstevenson said:
I think when you see all of Resistance 3 you will not think the art team is colorblind. Controlled color yes, but not a lack of color.

I have no prob with the art where color is concerned.

Y2Kev

jstevenson said:
most expensive effect ever, both in terms of system resources and development resources.
Then please make a PSN game where all you do is punch glass. Punch glass, eat glass, spit glass, build things with glass, have Miss Lucy sit upon glass, etc.

V_Ben

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Then please make a PSN game where all you do is punch glass. Punch glass, eat glass, spit glass, build things with glass, have Miss Lucy sit upon glass, etc.

Give the tech to idol minds, have them implement it in Pain. :p

Zoibie

I really, really like the motion blur when moving normally, but it does get a bit disorienting when sprinting. Otherwise, keep it the same (or add it as an option to toggle) and I'll be happy.

Speaking of things to toggle, it would be helpful if you added an option to change whether to hold the button or just press to sprint, for those of us who have grown accustomed to sprinting being on L2.

One last thing, there seems to be a bit of delay when you activate your shield that you get after a 3 kill streak, in one game it popped up just as I'd been killed meaning that I'd inadvertently wasted it. Again, this could have just been lag.

Overall though, I really like the beta. It's fast paced and yet it feels cautious enough that you can't just run into a room not knowing what you're doing. The weapons are pretty fun too; I haven't spent much time with the Carbine but the rest of the weapons feel fairly well balanced.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
JS,

Do we get to see much Chimerian architecture in R3?, the inside of a Chimerian ship/base/facility etc?

Y2Kev

...thinking about the jaggies...

How was R1 so clean? The image is immaculate. Just great art direction?

T-0800

Loudninja said:
Are you blind?

No I'm not. Don't misunderstand me I'm impressed with what I've played so far and am confident that the campaign is going to be the best yet for the series. Really can't wait.

I think the Trainyard map looks excellent but I think the other map looks a bit off because of the green.

IG are a great dev and have my money day 1.

T-0800

Loudninja said:
Yeah thats wrong,one can put of a shield another can put up a cloak.

Cool. While I don't think that's enough of a change I'm glad that there is a difference. Thanks for clearing that up.

That should perhaps be explained on a loading screen.

MrPliskin said:

Thrakier: The trees in R3 are just as good, see: Oklahoma level.

Most certianly not true. This statement shows me you are not an Rfom junkie. The chimera's huge body/head was easy to aim for and in the end it was very balanced.

First impression cons:

-bad carbine (but better than R2)
-frame rate is bad (understandable since it is a beta, but it worries me since the game is only a couple months away).
-the leapers are dumb and a straight rip off of the dogs in cod.
-I think shields are annoying and stupid and so is cloaking. (spriting+rage was so much better)
-graphics/colors are ugly
-i miss gun spawns
-grenades are better than R2 but still bad. Rfom's target bombs were some of the most fun I've ever had.

Pros:
-honestly, none so far.

I'm going to keep playing and see if it grows on me.

Also sorry James, I know I must seem like a bratty ungrateful teenager but I'm just trying to be honest.

Y2Kev said:
...thinking about the jaggies...

How was R1 so clean? The image is immaculate. Just great art direction?

Great everything. R1 developers should start their own company and make another game.

Violater said:
Anyone complaining about the graphics and colors need to have their eyes checked.

what about the poor frame rate? do we need our eyes checked for that as well? the multi is fun to mess around in but the graphics are not its strong point.

Here's some more thoughts after a little more playtime:

-Shooting feels okay, but I still think it could be a little 'tighter' across the board. The gold standard for console FPS's is still Halo in my eyes, and the shooting in Halo: Reach feels excellent to me (despite complaints about reticule bloom). Maybe just a touch more aim assist/magnetism and making hip-fire a little more useful. Now I know Resistance is Resistance and Halo is Halo, but Resistance is still pretty similar to Halo in both movement speed and player damage resistance.

-The Auger is ridiculous, especially when you've got the other team spawn trapped into a building.

-I've already said some on the Body Armor attribute, but I think it almost totally negates the Carbine and the Bullseye. After unloading roughly a whole clip of Bullseye rounds into an Armor wearing player, he killed me and on the kill screen he had only half of his health eliminated.

-The Spotter ability coupled with the Marksman is great. I think that's a great combo of weapon and ability. Speaking of the Marksman, I feel like the bullet spread maybe a little too random at times. I'll have to use it more and that may be by design, but I feel it might be just a tad to much spread.

-Spawning with a Sniper Rifle is one of the things I've hated the most about games going the Call of Duty, loadout route. I absolutely hate having several guys sitting in dark buildings in the back and just picking me off with their Deadeyes. It's especially annoying when it seems like the sniper is able to kill in one shot regardless of where the bullet lands. I know it's probably just me being slightly down health, but with all the leapers running around hitting me and me being pegged from random places, the sniper is very deadly.

-While it's pretty easy to tell when your bullets are landing on the enemy, it's pretty tough to tell where you're being hit from/if you are even being hit. Sometimes I can tell easily that I'm getting hit, but it almost seems like the reactionary sounds cut in and out and the directional hit markers aren't that obvious sometimes. I'll have to keep playing to put my finger on what I think is the problem and an idea for the solution.

-Movement and jumping could use some tweaking too. The movement speed itself is decent, but the actual 'feel' of the movement could be a little better. Going back to Halo, I think Halo 2/3 has a great sense of feel and movement speed. Jumping in the R3 beta is a little too short as some others have already said. The players should be able to easily jump waist high barriers.

I've been getting my ass kicked pretty good, but it's decent. Maybe it will be like the UC3 beta and I'll start to enjoy it a lot more once it 'clicks'. I'll keep playing and have more to say later on.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
ghostofsparta said:
Most certianly not true. This statement shows me you are not an Rfom junkie. The chimera's huge body/head was easy to aim for and in the end it was very balanced.

Not true. At pro-player levels everyone would pick Chimera. One of the best RFOM players mistakenly picked Human in the biggest 1v1 tournament and lost due to it. He regrets it to this day (and I just talked to him yesterday). Chimera were overpowered in a 1-on-1 encounter.

ghostofsparta said:
First impression cons:

-bad carbine (but better than R2)
-frame rate is bad (understandable since it is a beta, but it worries me since the game is only a couple months away).
-the leapers are dumb and a straight rip off of the dogs in cod.
-I think shields are annoying and stupid and so is cloaking. (spriting+rage was so much better)
-graphics/colors are ugly
-i miss gun spawns
-grenades are better than R2 but still bad. Rfom's target bombs were some of the most fun I've ever had.

-Framerate will be fixed
-Leapers are in-universe, and are something that you won't see as often in final when you have more abilities to pick from. We'll keep an eye on that though
-Shields/Cloaking are all part of the Resistance universe. EMP Grenades take them out.
-Gun Spawns weren't in the cards, we tried them, but that's not the type of game we want to make.

ghostofsparta said:
Pros:
-honestly, none so far.

I'm going to keep playing and see if it grows on me.

Also sorry James, I know I must seem like a bratty ungrateful teenager but I'm just trying to be honest.

Great everything. R1 developers should start their own company and make another game.

Sorry you feel that way. R3 is its own game, a damn good one (in my biased opinion), and many of the folks who were proud of their work on RFOM are just as proud of their work on R3.

KingOfKong said:
what about the poor frame rate? do we need our eyes checked for that as well? the multi is fun to mess around in but the graphics are not its strong point.

The framerate hitches are a known issue, and is something we are fixing.

jstevenson said:
Not true. At pro-player levels everyone would pick Chimera. One of the best RFOM players mistakenly picked Human in the biggest 1v1 tournament and lost due to it. He regrets it to this day (and I just talked to him yesterday). Chimera were overpowered in a 1-on-1 encounter.

Huh, interesting. I still say I wouldn't mind either species but it's interesting to hear this none the less.

jstevenson said:
-Framerate will be fixed
-Leapers are in-universe, and are something that you won't see as often in final when you have more abilities to pick from. We'll keep an eye on that though
-Shields/Cloaking are all part of the Resistance universe. EMP Grenades take them out.
-Gun Spawns weren't in the cards, we tried them, but that's not the type of game we want to make.

-great
-im going to trust you on that
-ok, I actually didn't know that thanks.
-I see :/

VanWinkle

Norml said:
It did look great.
amazing gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

The game did not look amazing in a lot of areas, looked pretty dated. But holy cow does that look amazing. I know there's snow in R3, I just pray that it uses the same tech.

iratA

R3 should be the better game of the three, well from what I've seen so far. I'm really looking forward to a stella SP campaign. The trainyard is my fave multi-player level atm.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
iratA said:
R3 should be the better game of the three, well from what I've seen so far. I'm really looking forward to a stella SP campaign. The trainyard is my fave multi-player level atm.

I'm stoked about you guys playing the Republic of Chad Prison Map, one of my faves, esp. for CTF.

We're going to show another 16p MP map in the near future too.

Top Bottom