• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Beta : Impressions and Discussion

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
One thing on the leapers - they are much less common when you have other abilities to pick for that slot. They are more popular in the beta than we expect them to be in the final game. Still keeping an eye on that as we've heard plenty of discussion about them.

woolley

theAntagonist said:
4.) Snipers hiding in the back getting easy kills is annoying in any shooter, but so far in this game I seem to get picked off quite frequently. I think it might be because there's always so much happening on screen around me that I don't notice when I'm being shot at by an enemy sniper. I personally haven't used the Deadeye yet, so maybe it's tricky to use and I've just been up against some guys who can wield it well.
The Deadeye is really easy to use. You can usually kill people with one shot because most people don't have full health most of the time and the gun even highlights the enemy players for you so you can easily detect were everyone is. And I think it even lets you shoot through shields.

MrPliskin

Banned
Thrakier said:
GFX are pretty bad, gameplay is ok and most of the time it's fun. Lowres and lighting are a huge disappointment. That's it, I guess.

Cool, glad you've made your peace and will avoid Resistance 3 threads from now on.

...right?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I've been seeing GAF people online left and right. It's crazy. Haha

redhot_

Just cant get into it like I did R2, feels like jerky and pokey.. idk how else to describe it...just not smooth is guess... Only guns i can kill someone with is the shot gun or sniper, everything else feels like im shooting cotton balls or blanks. Crossing my fingers for a good single player.

jstevenson said:
One thing on the leapers - they are much less common when you have other abilities to pick for that slot. They are more popular in the beta than we expect them to be in the final game. Still keeping an eye on that as we've heard plenty of discussion about them.

I figured as much. I know since there's only a few choices, the frequency of leapers on the map will be much greater. I like that they don't immediately attack after they appear and they sit 'feeding' on the corpse temporarily. Maybe make shooting them a bit easier, because as it is it seems like they are very tricky to hit, which is the point in the Campaign. When I'm running away from a battle trying to regroup and recover my health, only to see several Leapers running my way/spitting acid at me like a swarm of pissed off Yellow Jackets is semi-frustrating.

Also, maybe making it easier to delineate between enemy and friendly leapers would help some too because I'm paranoid and am constantly looking at the ground and shooting at leapers that aren't even out to get me.

Things I do like:

-The Carbine and Bullseye both feel pretty satisfying and are the weapons I've used the most thus far. Even though the Bullseye appears to be more of an SMG-esque weapon, I feel like it's easier to get medium to long range kills with it over the Carbine just because of the faux-Red Dot sight. The Carbine, while more accurate, is a little more difficult for me to get kills at a longer distance due to the iron sight.

-The maps seem well designed and cater to a bunch of different playstyles from close quarters, mid range, to long distance. I also like the concentrated firefight areas like the center building in the Trainyard map, to the bridges/creek on Seaside.

-The HUD and the GUI for the menus is fantastic in my opinion. The hand-drawn, rugged Journal style is great I think. I didn't care much for the heads up when it was first shown, but now I really like it. One thing I don't like is that sometimes it's hard to tell when I'm getting hit and am dangerously close to death. Now I'm not saying you should smear the MW2 Strawberry Jam across the whole screen, but something to make it a little easier that I'm getting hit would help I think.

-Even though the low-res discussion has been had, I still think the game looks pretty great. The effects are awesome, and I love getting a headshot and having the other guys head explode. The motion blur, IS a bit excessive but it does look nice.

-Pre-game lobby chat return is awesome. Hopefully spectator mode will return too.

It'd be very cool if there was a Halo Reach, Uncharted 3 type theater/screenshot mode for this game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
redhot_ said:
Just cant get into it like I did R2, feels like jerky and pokey.. idk how else to describe it...just not smooth is guess... Only guns i can kill someone with is the shot gun or sniper, everything else feels like im shooting cotton balls or blanks. Crossing my fingers for a good single player.

Keep in mind there are some known frame hitch issues that look like lag. On the agenda to be fixed

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
JStevenson any chance of fixing the ladder climbing animation?

redhot_

jstevenson said:
Keep in mind there are some known frame hitch issues that look like lag. On the agenda to be fixed

Well I sure hope you get everything figured out from the beta feedback before launch.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
jstevenson said:
Already into developing the day 1 patch :)

Damn james, I was on your team, and twice I got frozen out

I was a locked out half way through, then power up ps3 again, get back into same game amazingly, get put on other team, then get an auger kill streak, activate, bam another freeze ; ;

Also too many random network errors popping up good sir

"Server timed out" (20000######)
"Network Device not detected" same 2000###### thing
"Game has already ended"...um the game just started, maybe 3 minutes have passed

Then inexplicably, my game goes glitchy, like the leapers even when you kill them stay there, for 3+ seconds, then vanish or blow up
I have seen characters die, then magically be in there standing position and stay there for up 30 seconds

I can look past all the craziness, but the freezing...good lord the freezing
8 games played, 11 hard locks, freezes that made me reset my PS3, got the inevitable 3 beep for PS3 soft reset everytime

I'm just going to wait it out, too frustrating, and with my PS3 history, of 2 DRE's and 3 YLOD's, I can't risk it man

I'll await news for stability and hopefully some jankiness corrections, but till then, I'm sorry James, I Thank You for being a good guy and giving me a free key, but I'm not gonna risk it

I have a hard freeze every time I play Chain Reaction and my team makes the other team run out of tickets. Which sucks since CR is the only mode that works. Any time I try TDM I just go into a lobby forever alone. Guess I should just start backing out once it looks like tickets will run out.

Just had a wacky glitch, too. My view looked like I was in crouch mode but I was moving around at normal speed. Before I died I put up a shield and I got a fuckton of points, enough to level from early level 9 to level 11. I also got some bubble medal almost instantly.

VanWinkle

I haven't had a single crash. Weird.

I'm glad that my favorite gun, the Marksman, is back. James, is there a scope for it like on R2 when you level up the weapon? It's still good, but I liked the scope it used to have.

T-0800

Played R3 beta for the first time today and I'm glad and a little relieved to say that I've liked what I've played. This feels like the sequel to R1 that I wanted. It's not perfect and I don't think it's going to drag away the COD players but that's not a bad thing.

The great thing about R3 is that it feels like its own game.

Going in I was worried about the resolution drop but to my surprise it hasn't bothered me. Framerate while walking around levels by myself is rock solid and any drops in MP appear to be lag related. Hopefully that's sorted out by the time the full game releases.

When I was watching youtube vids of the game I was critical of the yellow shields but they look great in the game. Blame low quaility vids for that.

Why are there 2 rounds in MP at the moment? I don't see the point when there appears to be no change when switching from humans to chimera. I'd love the way it worked in R1 with each type having their own strengths. Is there a difference? If not why the 2 rounds and can we get a R1 type setup?

Can't wait to play the campaign.

Other things;
I'm happy with the motion blur. Not sure if it should be changed. Probably not.
The level...don't know the name...one in England perhaps....the ships flying around look out of place and like toys. Something is off about it. Skybox is too static. It's the little things IG.

Oh almost forgot. Love the music that plays before you start searching for a game.

ironcreed

Banned
Played a few matches earlier. Visuals are pretty average, but the gameplay is nice and fluid. I mainly want to play Resistance 3 for the campaign, but I can see myself logging some time in with this multiplayer. It is pretty fun.

Kambing

GraveRobberX said:
Then inexplicably, my game goes glitchy, like the leapers even when you kill them stay there, for 3+ seconds, then vanish or blow up

Seriously man, i FUCKING HATE those little pieces of shit leapers. My god! When they move they lag, when you shoot them they sometimes don't die, and they kill you so fast sometimes. Damn son, closest i have been to raging because of a game lol.

But, i suppose i am having fun playing the game. Objective matches with randoms suck, though that is to be expected. Really like the weapon array.

VanWinkle

T-0800 said:
Played R3 beta for the first time today and I'm glad and a little relieved to say that I've liked what I've played. This feels like the sequel to R1 that I wanted. It's not perfect and I don't think it's going to drag away the COD players but that's not a bad thing.

The great thing about R3 is that it feels like its own game.

Going in I was worried about the resolution drop but to my surprise it hasn't bothered me. Framerate while walking around levels by myself is rock solid and any drops in MP appear to be lag related. Hopefully that's sorted out by the time the full game releases.

When I was watching youtube vids of the game I was critical of the yellow shields but they look great in the game. Blame low quaility vids for that.

Why are there 2 rounds in MP at the moment? I don't see the point when there appears to be no change when switching from humans to chimera. I'd love the way it worked in R1 with each type having their own strengths. Is there a difference? If not why the 2 rounds and can we get a R1 type setup?

Can't wait to play the campaign.

Other things;
I'm happy with the motion blur. Not sure if it should be changed. Probably not.
The level...don't know the name...one in England perhaps....the ships flying around look out of place and like toys. Something is off about it. Skybox is too static. It's the little things IG.

Oh almost forgot. Love the music that plays before you start searching for a game.

I actually agree about the 2 rounds thing. Seems kind of useless to me. I'd prefer one.

Mooreberg

Are more game types going to get rolled out as this goes along since we are going to be able to play it for a month? I have no prior experience with the Resistance games but TDM is pretty fun so far. Chain Reaction has a lot of lag but I'm sure that will get sorted out. I'm Fahrenhype on PSN if anyone wants to play online tomorrow or in the future. I was in a match or two with Loudninja yesterday by sheer coincidence.

Loudninja

Mooreberg said:
Are more game types going to get rolled out as this goes along since we are going to be able to play it for a month? I have no prior experience with the Resistance games but TDM is pretty fun so far. Chain Reaction has a lot of lag but I'm sure that will get sorted out. I'm Fahrenhype on PSN if anyone wants to play online tomorrow or in the future. I was in a match or two with Loudninja yesterday by sheer coincidence.
Hehe didn't see you but I did see other, as always its fun player with gaffers.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ok a few rounds in here.

- Graphics look nice, definitely a huge upgrade from R2.

- Guns feel more like a mix of both of the games. Wish the Bullseye were a bit more accurate when tagged, used to be able to destroy. Have only really tried out the Carbine and bullseye.

-HATE the leapers, really are my biggest gripe with the game so far.

- JS Please respons to this. Why can't we go back to R1 grenades? The Target bombers were amazing! The grenades used to fly and you could really place those things... now they just kinda float out of your hand. it's slightly better than R2s grenades, but it's nowhere near as good as the first.

edit- bring back the sound for when you're a rewarded a ribbon if possible! Nothing more satisfying.

Been playing the beta all month. Leveled to 20 three times now. Disappointed with the muddy graphics, nothing inventive to the genre, and the maps feel so static since nothing can be destroyed. Whoverever thought up the leaped perk needs to be fired. Super annoying and takes away from the game. It held my interest because I have nothing to play at the moment but I don't for see this multiplayer being a huge hit. Weapons feel pretty balanced though, I will give it that much credit.

redhot_

KingOfKong said:
Been playing the beta all month. Leveled to 20 three times now. Disappointed with the muddy graphics, nothing inventive to the genre, and the maps feel so static since nothing can be destroyed. Whoverever thought up the leaped perk needs to be fired. Super annoying and takes away from the game. It held my interest because I have nothing to play at the moment but I don't for see this multiplayer being a huge hit. Weapons feel pretty balanced though, I will give it that much credit.

well.. someone has to.. http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/07/30/resistance-3-fade-to-brown-music-video?objectid=37866

patsu

Not much to add at the moment:
* Fix the crash
* Don't like the blur around the iron sight when using Carbine (I have only tried Carbine so far)
* Carbine firing feels "light" ? I can get kills but the gun feels unexpectedly light. I can get used to it. Just a first impression.

Will give more feedback when I find time to play more !

Thrakier

MrPliskin said:
Cool, glad you've made your peace and will avoid Resistance 3 threads from now on.

...right?

No, why should I? Depending on move implementation I'll probably day 1.

EDIT:

lol at that brown video. It's funny but oh so true. IG really needs to think about their art direction.

French

Banned
Here are the two biggest problems, for me :

- We can't customize how our character looks, like in the first two games.
- The sub HD resolution, seriously. 720p game with less effects would have been a better idea.

Other than that ( and a few bugs due to the beta ) : it's fun.

Atruvius

I would like to be able to take the level 2 scope off the marksman and use the original iron sights. I liked the iron sights more but there's no going back.

Also it would be great to see what level weapon and perks the enemy had when they killed me. Maybe a little black number in the middle of the gun.

JB1981

When does this game release? Also, is this the first Resistance MP game to not support dedicated servers? This feels like a real beta to me.

Atruvius

JB1981 said:
When does this game release? Also, is this the first Resistance MP game to not support dedicated servers? This feels like a real beta to me.

September 9th for EU and 6th for NA according to wikipedia.

Game freezes are starting to get to me, mainly because i was in a great game of CR with a few GAFfers there and had to restart my ps3 :(

Graphics are a huge improvement over R2 definitely, however i try not to sprint that often cos of the screen wobble.

Wish they had brought back the character customisation from R2, i played that game online for ages just trying to unlock a feckin hat, A HAT!!

Leapers are really annoying me, can't even see them when they're attacking me half the time.

Overall though i'm really liking the feel of the game, will most certainly be picking this up in september!

I like this a lot.

1) Graphics are a huge, huge improvement over Resistance 2. No discussion here, really. Everything looks much better and the game itself looks exceptional. Yes, there's a slight blur, but all around, it's an awesome package. Lighting is great, motion blur is great, the limited destruction is done really great and textures are very good.

2) Gameplay is quite interesting. Chain reaction is well executed. The only thing that bothers me here is the fact that I get lost in the chaos sometimes and forget where am I supposed to go. The little CAPTURE and DEFEND icons don't help, a slight adjustment would be cool.

3) UI is really, really cool.

4) The loadout selection looks very nice, although I haven't had a chance to explore it thoroughly.

5) The bugs that attack you from nowhere are irritating.

6) Game froze once during a 45 minutes play session.

YoungHav

Banned
I dunno why ya'll crying about muddy, smear, blur this. Seems a bit exaggerrated.

I like this better than the Resistance 2 beta, feeling the gameplay. Wish it had more maps though. My main complaint is the animation, whenever I see stuff on the Kill-Cam the players move like wood, stiff animation w/the blood squirts etc..

BeeDog

Starting to get very curious of this beta. Anyone has a spare code? Or if not, what's the way to get into the beta? I've been completely out of the loop. Thanks in advance!

Violater

Chain reaction is not explained well enough.

How do you get the bubble shield?

Can u not shoot out of the shield?

I think the rooms the capture points are placed in are too congested, they might work well for TDM but when everyone is rushing in and with all the action it gets confusing.

I wish there were some kind of actual visual cue for the captured chains, like lightening/electricity in the sky linking them together.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Games freezes ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I very rarely play online games but I'm quite enjoying this, graphics seem pretty good me, obviously sub HD but there are some nice particle effects going on and I like the motion blur, all in all I'm quite pleased so far, loving the trainyard map.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You like the UI? That's my only complaint. It is too gaudy. It's like an attraction in and of itself.

patsu

YoungHav said:
I dunno why ya'll crying about muddy, smear, blur this. Seems a bit exaggerrated.

I suspect this may depend on your TV _and_ the brightness setting at the beginning. I was working when I started R3 beta. Didn't bother to adjust the brightness and used the default one (which was too bright). I played on a LCD monitor too.

I think improper settings may exaggerate the problem. It may be a good idea to get one of the Engineers to verify this.

carlos

Big thanks to jstevenson for hooking me up with a code a couple of days ago, just now managed to log in and saw it in the inbox; I hope to have impressions after downloading it and playing for a while :)

The thing that surprises me the most is that the netcode seems to be degrading in every installment. Resistance 1 was purely smooth. In Resistance 2, players started getting jerky movement online... And right now I see people going forward and backwards, through trains and stuff like that.

Top Bottom