• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 - E3 2011 Screens and Info

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America, LLC
Developer: Insomniac Games
Genre: First Person Shooter
Release: September 6, 2011
Players: Single Player
Up to 16 Competitive Multiplayer, 2 Player Campaign Cooperative

OVERVIEW:
America is lost. Four years after the epic conclusion of Resistance®2, dishonorably discharged Sentinel Joseph Capelli is in hiding from the invading Chimeran menace with a pocket of survivors, including his new wife and young son. But when Dr. Fyodor Malikov arrives with a desperate plan, he sets into motions the events of Resistance®3, the third installment in the popular full-featured first-person shooter series. Resistance 3 is created by critically-acclaimed developer Insomniac Games exclusively for the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) system.

Set in a brutal, alternate 1950s universe, America has been successfully conquered and destroyed by the deadly Chimeran race, forcing the last remaining human survivors to seek refuge in hiding. Players must take on the role of Joseph Capelli, the last surviving Sentinel from a clandestine military program, as he comes out of hiding to journey across a land of ruin in a heroic fight for survival against the merciless Chimera. In addition to an epic single-player campaign, Resistance 3 will offer two-player online or split-screen co-op through the single-player campaign, and a new, focused progression-based multiplayer experience.

STORYLINE:
It’s August1957, four years after the conclusion of Resistance 2 that left Lieutenant Nathan Hale dead on the battlefield against the invading Chimeran race. Joseph Capelli has been dishonorably discharged from the U.S. Army for killing Hale. With the Chimera completely occupying the planet, Capelli has given up on the seemingly hopeless fight and has retreated into hiding underground with his wife and young son in Haven, Oklahoma. But as the climate of the planet continues to collapse, scientist Dr. Fyodor Malikov finds Capelli with a plan to deliver a devastating blow against the occupying Chimeran force. In order to protect his family, Capelli must leave them behind and embark on a harrowing mission across the country to New York City. Along the way, he and Malikov will encounter the survivors and remnants left in the aftermath of the brutal Chimeran invasion.

KEY FEATURES:
• Journey as mankind’s last hope, Joseph Capelli, across a devastated America, making your way from Haven, Oklahoma to New York City.
• Resistance 3 returns with a fully loaded arsenal of innovative weapons, including classics like the Bullseye, Auger, Rossmore, and Marksman, and increase the firepower of each with a new weapon upgrade system. With the return of the fan-favorite weapon wheel, players now have access to the entire sandbox of weaponry, giving them strategic choices for any situation they encounter.
• Engage smarter and more agile Chimeran enemies – due to Insomniac’s new awareness and cinematic traversal technology that gives the Chimera the ability to traverse any environment to reach you: nowhere is safe. Newly evolved Chimeran species - such as the powerful, leaping Longlegs - are larger and more deadly than ever.
• Two-player online and local/split-screen co-op gameplay allows players to team up with a friend during Capelli’s journey to New York.
• A new, more focused, progression-based multiplayer experience builds on Insomniac’s multiplayer pedigree, while allowing players to take part in the global resistance by battling in locations set around the globe.
• Resistance with support the PlayStation Move and the Sharp Shooter and will be playable in full Stereoscopic 3D,

MULTIPLAYER KEY FEATURES:
• Resistance 3 features a 16-player multiplayer mode where players compete 8-on-8 in a series of Human versus Chimera deathmatch and objectives based competitive matches.
• Multiplayer matches take place in locations around the globe, introducing players to the effects of the global Chimeran evasion.
• Fight for survival on multiplayer maps inspired by fan-favorites from both Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2.
• Resistance 3’s new, progression-based multiplayer experience allows players to create their own progression paths, earning points to spend on customized loadouts for their own unique playstyle.
• New Human- and Chimera-specific kill-streak Beserks reward players with unique special powers, such as an energy riot shields for Humans, or a temporary mutation into a fearsome Chimeran Ravager for the Chimeras.
• Players can level up new active tactical abilities such as dropping Ammo for allies, deploying bubble shields, or creating a doppelganger to absorb enemy fire.
• New passive support abilities include the ability to enhance hip-firing accuracy, firing rate, clip sizes, as well as players’ starting load out.

Man

Wish the game looked as good as those screens (not saying it is a bad looking game by any means but those images look like a diorama).

woolley

Was gonna make a thread but I wasn't sure if it was worth it. But it's very disappointing to say the least.

No. Resistance 3 will not have a custom game browser/filter.

We thought about this a lot and we did a lot of research into player behavior and usability of our online lobbies. The problem we had with both RFOM and R2 gamelists is you have tons of games going, with everyone naming their games incomprehensibly (often in attempts to try to be at the top of the list), with wildly varying rule-sets, and many players got confused and joined games that gave them non-optimal (aka, 1HK / Sniper only etc) experiences that they weren't looking for. This also helps us maintain good matchmaking, funneling most players there and match them up correctly.

With your buddy list displayed in the game, you can instantly join a buddy who is online and playing a private game (if the person who set up the private game allows joins --- you can also make it invite only). It's quick and painless to join your friends in any type of private game, including 1HK or whatever else.

The design team felt like this was the best move - allow as many private game options as we could, but make it less confusing to players who are just trying to get into the optimal R3 MP experience.
http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/index.php?topic=54277.msg152585133#msg152585133

slider

Looking good. But I've just had to cancel every pre-order I'd placed including R3 cos, for some reason, my Amazon orders aren't reaching me.

The ones that hurt the most? U3, R3 and the Vita. :-(

I'll find them locally but for much more money I guess. Oh well.

Loudninja

I am glad the game finally has a proper New Game+, you can start again with all your weapons and upgrades.

slider said:
Looking good. But I've just had to cancel every pre-order I'd placed including R3 cos, for some reason, my Amazon orders aren't reaching me.

The ones that hurt the most? U3, R3 and the Vita. :-(

I'll find them locally but for much more money I guess. Oh well.

That sucks,I wonder why?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Massa said:
Looks like there are custom games but no browser for custom games, they're invite-only.

this is correct. we have private games with lots of customizable options, but there's no list of the ones going on. You can make them invite only so the leader has to invite people, or you can have them open to join, in which case any person in the game can see their friends in the MP lobby and press a button to join them in their current private game.

I hope we'll still be able to join some custom match, whether there's a browser or not, it's the only way to play RFoM and R2 now that they're past their prime. Matchmaking is nice for the first few month/years, but once the community has shrinked you're fucked.

Atruvius

Aww :(. I am dissapointed. I liked those one-hit-kill-matches in RFoM. It made the game's life longer when there were many different matches to choose from. It also made getting into matches much much faster + you could make your own match with your own rules. But yeah :(

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
RockmanWhore said:
I hope we'll still be able to join some custom match, whether there's a browser or not, it's the only way to play RFoM and R2 now that they're past their prime. Matchmaking is nice for the first few month/years, but once the community has shrinked you're fucked.

You can always join a custom game from a friend's list and/or create one and invite folks.

That said, funneling players into matchmaking though should help alleviate the lack of ranked games, along with ranked games requiring far fewer players to start now.

Massa

RockmanWhore said:

Actually I think it's the ability of having a custom games browser that fucks up those games now. If your community is small you can't afford to have it split between "$$$@@@@AAAA 1000k super fun hellz yeah!" and ranked games, and if I can only have one I choose ranked games without blinking.

Now, if only they'd confirm dedicated servers... right now I'm playing KZ3 and Uncharted 3 and the lag is killing me. Hate lag.

Loudninja

jstevenson said:
this is correct. we have private games with lots of customizable options, but there's no list of the ones going on. You can make them invite only so the leader has to invite people, or you can have them open to join, in which case any person in the game can see their friends in the MP lobby and press a button to join them in their current private game.
Yeah sounds good.

Loudninja

Massa said:
Actually I think it's the ability of having a custom games browser that fucks up those games now. If your community is small you can't afford to have it split between "$$$@@@@AAAA 1000k super fun hellz yeah!" and ranked games, and if I can only have one I choose ranked games without blinking.

Now, if only they'd confirm dedicated servers... right now I'm playing KZ3 and Uncharted 3 and the lag is killing me. Hate lag.

From JS:

We've re-engineered a lot of the server / online back-end to some new proprietary tech that I can't go too in-detail about at this point. We should be able to say more once things are rolling on the beta.

http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/index.php?topic=54277.1335

Mr_Brit

Banned
Resistance 3 apparently runs at 960x704 with broken 2xMSAA/blur pattern according to B3D.

Does anyone know what res the first two were? I'm guessing they were 720p.

V_Ben

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Resistance 3 apparently runs at 960x704 with broken 2xMSAA/blur pattern according to B3D.

That's probably based on the fairly old demo code...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think that's from the old demo that got accidently leaked. No way it's going to be under 720p. Afaik, R2 was 1280*720 with QAA.

Garjon

woolley said:
Was gonna make a thread but I wasn't sure if it was worth it. But it's very disappointing to say the least.

http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/index.php?topic=54277.msg152585133#msg152585133
Wow, no server list for public matches? If this game turns out to not have dedicated servers, it's a no buy from me; that quote from above doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
What annoys me is the excuse they give, R1 had a way of filtering out the matches for things like one hit kills. The first part also sounds like they used focus groups to come up with that conclusion as well.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
AltogetherAndrews said:
Pass. Bring on Overstrike.

Not sure if Overstrike will be any better/different to be honest, Insomniac is just all over the place since the beginning of this generation and dropped hard from a head to head competitor with ND to a C-rated developer now.

Totobeni said:
Not sure if Overstrike will be any better/different to be honest, Insomniac is just all over the place since the beginning of this generation and dropped hard from a head to head competitor with ND to a C-rated developer now.

Pfft. Overstrike feels a lot more like Ratchet, and Ratchet-Insomniac has been top notch this generation.

MrPliskin

Banned
Totobeni said:

I want to say "not sure if serious"...but then I remembered that I'm on GAF.

Loudninja

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Like the look a lot but everytime I see gameplay I get completely turned off.
You seen the Haven demo?I think its the best video of the game so far
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7PHXyLp7aI

Here is the E3 version of that level as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwzCPi7_Vog

MrPliskin said:
Theyve posted an update about the beta. Should kick off next week for friends and fam, then it'll expand from there.
Hmm not really sure about that.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
This is a massive step over Resistance 2 (which didn't impress me much).

Resistance 3 has me hyped which is great because while the E3 demo of Resistance 2 was cool, I was never fully psyched for that game.

The lighting, texturing and art direction is fantastic. Gameplay looks to be a lot tighter and more fun too. That's what an extra year of development time gives you!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mr_Brit said:

They were 1280x704 and I think someone from Insomniac said that 3 would be the same. BF3 is also running at 1280x704 on PS3.

Angry Fork

16 player MP is weak but the game looks nice. I bought Resistance 1 and 2 day one but I'm too burned out on FPS to get the 3rd (or any other FPS for that matter unless it's a unique single player one like Prey 2 or Deus Ex 3). TF2 will remain my main MP game for the foreseeable future.

edit - smh @ no server lists. Just have both server lists and matchmaking like Warhawk. I don't see what the big deal is that you have to castrate what hardcore players like just because noobs don't know how to read room names/rules. Bummer for anyone getting the game.

Loudninja

Thunderbear said:
This is a massive step over Resistance 2 (which didn't impress me much).

Resistance 3 has me hyped which is great because while the E3 demo of Resistance 2 was cool, I was never fully psyched for that game.

The lighting, texturing and art direction is fantastic. Gameplay looks to be a lot tighter and more fun too. That's what an extra year of development time gives you!
The gameplay is really good, each weapons feel different and the guns has slight weight not much but its there.You can still dance around enemies with the bullseye.

Angry Fork said:
16 player MP is weak but the game looks nice. I bought Resistance 1 and 2 day one but I'm too burned out on FPS to get the 3rd (or any other FPS for that matter unless it's a unique single player one like Prey 2 or Deus Ex 3). TF2 will remain my main MP game for the foreseeable future.

edit - smh @ no server lists. Just have both server lists and matchmaking like Warhawk. I don't see what the big deal is that you have to castrate what hardcore players like just because noobs don't know how to read room names/rules. Bummer for anyone getting the game.

This is what he said about server list

From JS:

We've re-engineered a lot of the server / online back-end to some new proprietary tech that I can't go too in-detail about at this point. We should be able to say more once things are rolling on the beta.

http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/index.php?topic=54277.1335

He didn't deny them at all.

RoboPlato said:
They were 1280x704 and I think someone from Insomniac said that 3 would be the same. BF3 is also running at 1280x704 on PS3.
Really?R1 and R2 looks good and R3 looks great.

MrPliskin said:
Check the insom blog. It should roll out starting next week.
Ok thats cool :)

Top Bottom