• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality

Agent X

Gold Member
Does the demo drop this Tuesday? Im having a hard time finding the answer. I'm really looking forward to people's impressions. I'm a big fan of the series yet can't shake this concern that this might...suck.

A demo would be very encouraging at this point.

It 's a shame that prerelease demos are getting to be the exception rather than the rule now. The game looks like it might be good on the surface, but I can see why people are hesitant to buy, especially the change to a developer that is new to the Resistance series and has a shaky track record. A solid prerelease demo could alleviate a lot of those concerns.

Massa

Does the demo drop this Tuesday? Im having a hard time finding the answer. I'm really looking forward to people's impressions. I'm a big fan of the series yet can't shake this concern that this might...suck.

Yep. Next Tuesday there's a demo for this and also one for Gravity Rush coming out.

persongr

Ok, just finished the game, and besides being smallish and rather dull, it's fine. What i really liked (to my surprise) are the Vita features - for example you can swipe 4 enemies, shoot with the launcher and 4 missiles will hunt those targets. Oh, and those eurogamer screenshots are bullshots, the game suffers from terrible aliasing - the lighting sets the bar really high though for the other first party games.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Ok, just finished the game, and besides being smallish and rather dull, it's fine. What i really liked (to my surprise) are the Vita features - for example you can swipe 4 enemies, shoot with the launcher and 4 missiles will hunt those targets. Oh, and those eurogamer screenshots are bullshots, the game suffers from terrible aliasing - the lighting sets the bar really high though for the other first parties.

How is the detail on the models?

Ok, just finished the game, and besides being smallish and rather dull, it's fine. What i really liked (to my surprise) are the Vita features - for example you can swipe 4 enemies, shoot with the launcher and 4 missiles will hunt those targets. Oh, and those eurogamer screenshots are bullshots, the game suffers from terrible aliasing - the lighting sets the bar really high though for the other first party games.

how are the controls?

persongr

how are the controls?

Well, if you are used to vita's analog sticks it's ok i guess. The grenade stuff is controlled with the touchscreen - the game enters slowmo when you touch the screen and control the projection of the grenade - and so are the weapons' special attacks (slowmo stuff again). After the first hour you get used to it!

Grisby

How long did it take you? Any extra unlockables?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

How smallish? how long do you think it took to get through the SP?
And ignoring trophies how is the replayability?

Grisby

About 5:30-6 hours on hard. I didn't really bother after the credits, but i think a superhuman difficulty and a ng+ are unlocked.
Thanks bud. A bit disappointing but a new game plus is nice. Actually I think I completed Resistance 3 in about that time.

persongr

Thanks bud. A bit disappointing but a new game plus is nice. Actually I think I completed Resistance 3 in about that time.

Yeah, that's what my buddy told me, that "it's acceptable".

But isn't developing games on Vita supposed to be really easy? I think they could add another chapter or two...

Grisby

But isn't developing games on Vita supposed to be really easy? I think they could add another chapter or two...
I don't know really but my last (and only) retail vita game I completed was UC:Golden Abyss and that shit was long.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

It was probably a time thing more than anything else to make sure it made release a couple months after the Vita hit.

I don't know really but my last (and only) retail vita game I completed was UC:Golden Abyss and that shit was long.

Yea, Uncharted is taking some time to get through, I'm starting to wish I had decided to get the collectables the first time through instead of afterwards, lol.

Is the game in full resolution? Can you make a screenshot (unless you're under some NDA), how is the framerate?

persongr

Is the game in full resolution? Can you make a screenshot (unless you're under some NDA), how is the framerate?

You can't take any screenshots in the game - I don't know if that's a review code thing, but i can't give you anything :S. But I think the game runs in non-native resolution.

The framerate varies from really smooth to annoying, especially when you're fighting in open environments.

nofi

You can't take any screenshots in the game - I don't know if that's a review code thing, but i can't give you anything :S. But I think the game runs in non-native resolution.

The framerate varies from really smooth to annoying, especially when you're fighting in open environments.

I concur with the above - it's not native res, and the framerate's all over the shop.

AwRy108

So, was the campaign actually fun? I mean, did you enjoy those 6 hours? Was it enjoyable enough to make you glad to be playing it instead of something else?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Disappointing.

Non native res kills GA. Which is otherwise an amazing looking title.

highrider

Banned
Well, if you are used to vita's analog sticks it's ok i guess. The grenade stuff is controlled with the touchscreen - the game enters slowmo when you touch the screen and control the projection of the grenade - and so are the weapons' special attacks (slowmo stuff again). After the first hour you get used to it!

that actually sounds cool. anything that really impressed you about the game save the touch controls? thanks for the impressions btw sir.

persongr

So, was the campaign actually fun? I mean, did you enjoy those 6 hours? Was it enjoyable enough to make you glad to be playing it instead of something else?

i think i'm lying somewhere in the middle. It wasn't that bad, so i didn't regret i bothered, but it wasn't that enjoyable, so i won't ever touch it again. To put that in perspective, I tend to replay the games i really like. In the end though, i don't think BS is a game i would recommend to someone looking to play something on Vita - unless of course they adore fps, in which case the game is the only option (i don't count Unit13, i got really bored after the 6th mission).

that actually sounds cool. anything that really impressed you about the game save the touch controls? thanks for the impressions btw sir.

Gameplay-wise nothing particular, besides of course the beyond-awesome melee attacks. That axe felt good.

AwRy108

i think i'm lying somewhere in the middle. It wasn't that bad, so i didn't regret i bothered, but it wasn't that enjoyable, so i won't ever touch it again. To put that in perspective, I tend to replay the games i really like. In the end though, i don't think BS is a game i would recommend to someone looking to play something on Vita - unless of course they adore fps, in which case the game is the only option (i don't count Unit13, i got really bored after the 6th mission).

Gameplay-wise nothing particular, besides of course the beyond-awesome melee attacks. That axe felt good.

I don't mean this in a derogatory manner at all, but, seeing as you got bored with Unit 13 after only 6 missions, I'm thinking that you may not be the best person to take advice from when considering an FPS purchase. Again, please don't take the comment as an insult, as I appreciate you sharing all the details you're able to.

persongr

I don't mean this in a derogatory manner at all, but, seeing as you got bored with Unit 13 after only 6 missions, I'm thinking that you may not be the best person to take advice from when considering an FPS purchase. Again, please don't take the comment as an insult, as I appreciate you sharing all the details you're able to.

No insult taken (of course!), but unit13 was a tactical shooter, not an fps, so it cannot be really compared to Resistance. It's like comparing GT5 to Burnout Paradise - in both you drive cars, but the difference between the two is rather chaotic. I only mentioned Unit13 because fps lovers who will decide to skip burning skies have absolutely no other option.

AwRy108

No insult taken (of course!), but unit13 was a tactical shooter, not an fps, so it cannot be really compared to Resistance. It's like comparing GT5 to Burnout Paradise - in both you drive cars, but the difference between the two is rather chaotic. I only mentioned Unit13 because fps lovers who will decide to skip burning skies have absolutely no other option.

Good points, all of them. Would you typically consider yourself a fan of the FPS genre? What about the fan of the Resistance series (well, 1 and 3 at least--R2 sucked balls)?

persongr

Good points, all of them. Would you typically consider yourself a fan of the FPS genre? What about the fan of the Resistance series (well, 1 and 3 at least--R2 sucked balls)?

1 was fairly good for a launch game - i never completed the third game,not enough time (-_-). I do like fps games, especially faster-paced ones. But i know when a game is great, and bs is not a great game. Just a decent one. (decent = 7-7.5) ;)

AwRy108

1 was fairly good for a launch game - i never completed the third game,not enough time (-_-). I do like fps games, especially faster-paced ones. But i know when a game is great, and bs is not a great game. Just a decent one. (decent = 7-7.5) ;)

Based on your response, what kind of number would you place on Burning Skies?

Here are some recent videos of single player, spoiler warning of course.

Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozKAZALXaJ8&feature=plcp

Part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yMgYNXfVF8&feature=plcp

Part 3 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w78yXwTrkE&feature=plcp

Frame rate is looking fine, not sure about the weapons sounds, could just be the poor audio on the video though, gfx look 'ok' I guess, I imagine it'll look better in person, as long as the game doesn't get panned I'll be getting it on release.

Looks.... not bad. Not bad at all :)

Probably gets panned in the press, im gonna guestimate 65 metacritic. Vita enthusiasts (especially those who like the resistance games) are likely to think much higher of it.

VanWinkle

It seems really weird to me that we still don't have an fps on vita. I mean, we're getting burning skies soon but even them its just one. I figured they'd be everywhere on the first handheld with two analog sticks.

I wish this game would be good but I'm honestly expecting about a 60% average. Just seems like a very barebones mediocre game. Which, as a big Resistance fan, is disappointing.

Everything shown so far has been underwhelming imo, but there has been a bunch of games that previewed/marketed poorly that are actually great games.

SharkJAW

It seems really weird to me that we still don't have an fps on vita. I mean, we're getting burning skies soon but even them its just one. I figured they'd be everywhere on the first handheld with two analog sticks.

I wish this game would be good but I'm honestly expecting about a 60% average. Just seems like a very barebones mediocre game. Which, as a big Resistance fan, is disappointing.

The same thing was crossing my mind earlier today. Right now, I'd kill for an fps on the Vita, so that probably explains why I'll settle on what may very well turn out to be a mediocre game. To be honest, I'd rather wait for Bend to do a sequel to Retribution rather than have Nihilistic do this.

agree Sony should have made sure there were lots of fps games to help sell the whole dual analog thing

not a huge resistance fan so from what I'm hearing i won't pick up this game at full price but maybe for 20 if there isn't a better fps at that time

cyborg009

Banned
The same thing was crossing my mind earlier today. Right now, I'd kill for an fps on the Vita, so that probably explains why I'll settle on what may very well turn out to be a mediocre game. To be honest, I'd rather wait for Bend to do a sequel to Retribution rather than have Nihilistic do this.

Weren't they denied the sequel

spats

PSNation's review. Embargo was broken by a bunch of sites so they got the permission to post their written review.

http://www.psnation.org/2012/05/28/review-resistance-burning-skies-psv/

Conclusion:
When we had a conference call with most of our “PS Nation Staff” the other day, we discussed this game, and one of the first things I said was “you just know and feel that Insomniac didn’t make this game.” That’s not to say the game is bad, because it’s not, but it just doesn’t have that “soul” that the other games possess. The story takes a while to really get-going, and the lack of audio punch can take you right out of the experience at times, but overall, this is still a good game. I do still recommend it, but just know that you’re not getting Resistance 3. I had a hard time sticking with this one at the early stages, but I’m now glad that I did, as the last half of the game is very satisfying. As I cryptically posted on Twitter yesterday, “it gets better.”

B

Trophies yo.

ResistancePlat-e1338227954877.jpg

Teknoman

Conclusion:
When we had a conference call with most of our “PS Nation Staff” the other day, we discussed this game, and one of the first things I said was “you just know and feel that Insomniac didn’t make this game.” That’s not to say the game is bad, because it’s not, but it just doesn’t have that “soul” that the other games possess. The story takes a while to really get-going, and the lack of audio punch can take you right out of the experience at times, but overall, this is still a good game. I do still recommend it, but just know that you’re not getting Resistance 3. I had a hard time sticking with this one at the early stages, but I’m now glad that I did, as the last half of the game is very satisfying. As I cryptically posted on Twitter yesterday, “it gets better.

Honestly thats the way I felt about Uncharted Golden Abyss, and the other two PSP God of War games. They arent bad...but it just feels like there is something missing.

Top Bottom