• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality

Raoh

Going to skip this and gamefly it later. Too many games coming out not to mention a backlog to justify this game right now.

Picking up Chess, with that stardust and a few psp games I have no need to pick up new vita games for a bit.

madmackem

He brings up alot of the points i had feared may show up in the multi player. Hmmm will wait for alot more reviews and peoples accounts before thinking of buying.

Jeff-DSA

I wasn't interested in the game too much as I've tried several times to like the series unsuccessfully, but a 2/10 is such a piss poor score that it should be basically broken to warrant that.

kassatsu

Banned
While I am not giving the game a 2/10. If the Vita is so great for having 2 sticks, why the fuck is my finger off of it 50% of the time I am playing.

snap0212

I usually get the hate for Sterling but when he talks about multiplayer being laggy, the game not looking as good as the screenshots suggest and it being unfinished in places (+ giving examples), the frame rate being all over the place, and the excessive use of the touchscreen for no good reason, then I'm not sure why you guys think he's trolling.

The score doesn't matter. It's his personal interpretation but unless he's lying and these problems don't exist, I'm not sure how he could be wrong/trolling.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
A 2/10 from Jim Sterling means that the game is probably a 6/10, which is still bad. Do you guys think that the Resistance franchise is done for after this game?

Jeff-DSA

A 2/10 from Jim Sterling means that the game is probably a 6/10, which is still bad. Do you guys think that the Resistance franchise is done for after this game?

I think it's time to step away from it. It's not been what Sony hoped it would be, and it's probably never going to be.

spats

Propably.

I've got every game in the franchise, Retribution being my favourite, but this whole franchise is pretty throwaway in my opinion. I just want a passable shooter for my Vita damnit.

B.O.O.M

We won't see one for a looooooong time again. I think the mere fact that Sony gave the IP to Nhilistic kind of shows they have given up.

Loudninja

PS Nation review B
The multiplayer is actually very good, with good shooting, great maps, and solid mechanics. We played for 3 hours and had a great time throughout. The action is fast, and connectivity was excellent. Chris (from PSN Stores) and I actually started a party so that we could talk amongst ourselves while we played, and the experience was on-par with other console online matches, just in a smaller package. Setting-up a game online is a breeze as well, and offers quite a few options. This is definitely a multiplayer implementation that can be considered part of the value of the game, and definitely offers enough action and variety to lengthen the life of the game you’ve bough
http://www.psnation.org/2012/05/28/review-resistance-burning-skies-psv/

Cudder

There are some problems joining in progress, and it doesn't seem there is voice chat unless you are in a "PARTY".

we now have a system with a built in microphone and speakers, and there are still games that don't have voice chat? jeebus.

oh well even if the game is mediocre, the 10$ off coupon I used will soften the blow.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
We won't see one for a looooooong time again. I think the mere fact that Sony gave the IP to Nhilistic kind of shows they have given up.
Pretty sad considering how great R3 was but I fear Insomniac foresaw this, at least that's why I believe that they essentially didn't leave the Resistance series with any way of continuation. This is why the game seemed to end abruptly and left many unanswered questions.

In the destructoid review, he continuously compares the the game to the PS3 versions. That really doesn't seem fair to me. I noticed some people doing that for Golden Abyss reviews as well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Unfortunately, Jim isn't trolling in the slightest.

I have no dog in this fight, but it's worth mentioning that he gave Resistance 3 an 8/10, so it's not like he has some bone to pick with the franchise. I was already weary of this game either way, though, so I'm not too shocked.

In the destructoid review, he continuously compares the the game to the PS3 versions. That really doesn't seem fair to me. I noticed some people doing that for Golden Abyss reviews as well.

Par for the course. People claim they don't want a replicated console experience on the handheld, then compare it to the console to make their judgement.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

You can't really blame anyone who does that though. Sony has tried their best to market the Vita as a "home-console quality" system.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Par for the course. People claim they don't want a replicated console experience on the handheld, then compare it to the console to make their judgement.

Eh, as far as I can tell, Burning Skies is trying to replicate the experience of playing the PS3 games, with the only difference being some touchscreen specific stuff added on top. If someone was slamming Resistance Retribution for being unlike the PS3 games, I could understand the flaws in that argument, but in this case it's fair. What do you expect? For them to grade on a different curve because it's a handheld game?

yencid

The game's poor story, interspersed as it is with vapid attempts at emotional depth, is indicative of what Burning Skies is -- little more than a poor reflection of the original console trilogy, a cheap copy that, had it not been officially licensed by Sony, could be mistaken for some illegal, plagiarizing, knock-off.

g77ns.gif

if i was a developer on this that shit would hurt.

He's the guy that called Mario Kart 7 insultingly formulaic but praised Modern Warfare 3 (despite being formulaic).

That was one of many insults lobbed at MK7, which it deserved all of. I have no idea if Resistance deserves his score, but his review of MK7 was dead-on.

Ein Bear

People also claim they want fair reviews, but then start shouting "GUYS HE'S JUST TROLLING!" if a game they're looking forward to gets a bad score.

Kerub

Banned
Seems like the framerate still isn't fixed, so I'm not getting this.

I hate playing FPS games with uneven framerate.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dam, I was hopping for this to be half as good as Retribution, which would mean a good entry. :/

Except for Jim Sterling's review, all reviews have indicated it is about 75-90% as good as Resistance Retribution!

Top Bottom