• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance : Burning Skies [PSVita]

Loudninja

dr3upmushroom said:
Oh, OK, I missed the part where they explained that you can use the secondary fires without having to touch the screen. If you can, that's fine, but they way it was explained in the video made it sound like you had to use the touchscreen to paint targets with the one gun and lob grenades with the carbean.
The story starts off with Riley, a fireman, picking up an axe to fend off some Chimera. Some of the button mappings feel redundant, but according to senior staff producer Frank Simon, this is to allow gamers to choose how they want to experience the game. For instance, you can melee by either tapping the axe image on the touch screen, or using the right trigger.
http://www.1up.com/previews/resistance-burning-skies-answer-portable-shooters

Thats how it is as of right now.

Agent X

Krev said:
Sony shouldn't make the mistake of thinking they're Nintendo. Their franchises aren't worth that much.

I understand your point, but I can't say that I completely agree.

In the process of creating a franchise, you have to be willing to invest in it, to build it up to become bigger in the future. If they dropped it after one or two games, then it isn't much of a "franchise", is it?

Resistance might never become as big as Mario or Zelda or Pokemon. It might not even become as big as some of Sony's other franchises. But as someone who'd liked the other Resistance games, I'm glad that they're continuing to stick with it, to expand the story and give it added depth.

Loudninja said:
Usually this stuff is optional, I know all the motion stuff is.
Usually? Like when? When the DS had just come out nearly every game had stuff tacked on to take advantage of its features, and it was rarely optional. Same with the Wii.

I realize that this is Sony, and I haven't played many Move-enabled games but I'm sure that in most of them any Move stuff is optional, but most people don't have Move. This is the first time Sony is shipping a system where everyone has their gimmicky touch/mic/gyro stuff, and I hope I'm wrong but I'd bet that in this game those features require the touch screen.

Uncharted stuff is optional, but they were very upfront about that right from the start. Not only did they not mention it in this demo, I don't even see how it would work without touch. L button puts you into iron sights, so that's gone, and using one of the face buttons isn't going to work well when you're trying to simultaneously aim with the right analog.

Anyway, like I said, I hope you're right, but I don't see any reason to believe so after watching the trailer, and I don't know where your "Usually this stuff is optional" comment comes from.

Edit: I just saw your 1up link after posting. They said that the ax could be used either with the R button or the touch button, I got that. I'm talking about the secondary fires that they made sound could only be done with the touch screen.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Agent X said:

In the process of creating a franchise, you have to be willing to invest in it, to build it up to become bigger in the future. If they dropped it after one or two games, then it isn't much of a "franchise", is it?

Resistance might never become as big as Mario or Zelda or Pokemon. It might not even become as big as some of Sony's other franchises. But as someone who'd liked the other Resistance games, I'm glad that they're continuing to stick with it, to expand the story and give it added depth.
The thing is, some franchises are worth sticking with and some aren't. Sony's strategy of continuing to invest in and push Uncharted has paid off well, but that's because it's a game that stood out in the market. Resistance, not so much.

Agent X

Krev said:
The thing is, some franchises are worth sticking with and some aren't. Sony's strategy of continuing to invest in and push Uncharted has paid off well, but that's because it's a game that stood out in the market. Resistance, not so much.

That's your opinion. Like I said in my post above, as a fan of the series, I am glad that they are continuing to stick with it. I'm sure I'm not alone.

VanWinkle

dr3upmushroom said:
Usually? Like when? When the DS had just come out nearly every game had stuff tacked on to take advantage of its features, and it was rarely optional. Same with the Wii.

I realize that this is Sony, and I haven't played many Move-enabled games but I'm sure that in most of them any Move stuff is optional, but most people don't have Move. This is the first time Sony is shipping a system where everyone has their gimmicky touch/mic/gyro stuff, and I hope I'm wrong but I'd bet that in this game those features require the touch screen.

Uncharted stuff is optional, but they were very upfront about that right from the start. Not only did they not mention it in this demo, I don't even see how it would work without touch. L button puts you into iron sights, so that's gone, and using one of the face buttons isn't going to work well when you're trying to simultaneously aim with the right analog.

Anyway, like I said, I hope you're right, but I don't see any reason to believe so after watching the trailer, and I don't know where your "Usually this stuff is optional" comment comes from.

Edit: I just saw your 1up link after posting. They said that the ax could be used either with the R button or the touch button, I got that. I'm talking about the secondary fires that they made sound could only be done with the touch screen.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but what's so bad about using the touch screen to do secondary fire? Why is touch screen generally frowned upon for any of the control methods? I mean, I guess I understand the dislike for gimmicky stuff, but what's so bad about using the touch screen when there are no buttons left to do for functions?

VanWinkle said:
Maybe I'm missing the point, but what's so bad about using the touch screen to do secondary fire? Why is touch screen generally frowned upon for any of the control methods? I mean, I guess I understand the dislike for gimmicky stuff, but what's so bad about using the touch screen when there are no buttons left to do for functions?
It's just annoying. Having to take your hands off the controls and then transition back is a far less efficient way to control the game. The only reason it's there is to show off the touch screen.

The only possible exception is the melee, having that mapped on the screen isn't inconvenient (though especially in multiplayer a lot of people like to be able to melee without taking their thumb off the right analog, so I'm sure just using the R button will be preferred by some), but having to totally move your hand from your aiming position to drag your finger across the screen is really inefficient. Back in the early days of the DS, it was still contrived, but at least there was the novelty of controlling a game by touching it. Now that that's old news, I'd like to play my action games in a way that allows for the quickest response time and greatest comfort, and for me having to remove my hand from the controls to paint targets and aim grenades is counterproductive to that.

Kusagari

Agent X said:

Investing in it doesn't mean whoring it out and having bad developers, as seems to be the case here, making portable games for it. Sony needs to try to make these games an event. That's where they've succeeded with Uncharted and failed with Killzone, Resistance, etc.

VanWinkle

dr3upmushroom said:
It's just annoying. Having to take your hands off the controls and then transition back is a far less efficient way to control the game. The only reason it's there is to show off the touch screen.

The only possible exception is the melee, having that mapped on the screen isn't inconvenient (though especially in multiplayer a lot of people like to be able to melee without taking their thumb off the right analog, so I'm sure just using the R button will be preferred by some), but having to totally move your hand from your aiming position to drag your finger across the screen is really inefficient. Back in the early days of the DS, it was still contrived, but at least there was the novelty of controlling a game by touching it. Now that that's old news, I'd like to play my action games in a way that allows for the quickest response time and greatest comfort, and for me having to remove my hand from the controls to paint targets and aim grenades is counterproductive to that.

Right, but I'm imagining (actually trying it on my PSP) myself taking my thumb off of the analog stick and reaching out to touch the screen and don't see how that's less immersive than taking your thumb off the analog stick to press any of the face buttons. I see some of the videos and the people take their hand off and using their index finger to select it, but to me it would be easier to just use my thumb.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Agent X said:
That's your opinion. Like I said in my post above, as a fan of the series, I am glad that they are continuing to stick with it. I'm sure I'm not alone.
I'm not saying it's bad, just that it doesn't stand out in the market. Uncharted was a unique experience among the AAA crop, so even though it wasn't a huge smash out of the gate, with time it built up a big following and a lot of hype. In a world flooded with gritty FPS games, Resistance was never going to blow up in the same way.

Hyuga

Banned
Krev said:
I'm not saying it's bad, just that it doesn't stand out in the market. Uncharted was a unique experience among the AAA crop, so even though it wasn't a huge smash out of the gate, with time it built up a big following and a lot of hype. In a world flooded with gritty FPS games, Resistance was never going to blow up in the same way.
Doesn't change the fact that they are million sellers + awesome games.
But hey, I respect your opinion.

VanWinkle said:
Right, but I'm imagining (actually trying it on my PSP) myself taking my thumb off of the analog stick and reaching out to touch the screen and don't see how that's less immersive than taking your thumb off the analog stick to press any of the face buttons. I see some of the videos and the people take their hand off and using their index finger to select it, but to me it would be easier to just use my thumb.
You don't see how there's more distance between the right analog and the face buttons than to the far side of the screen?

As I've already said, touch buttons on the corners of the screen are fine (though the icon is annoying and hopefully we can turn that off), but I don't think I'm the only one here lacking the gargantuan hands necessary to touch anywhere on the screen with my thumb with as little difficulty as hitting one of the buttons. I could use my thumbs, sure, but it would require some awkward stretching.

subtlesaysigh said:
Reminds me very much of Resistance 2.

That is not a good thing. I'll check in on it closing to release.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. I really like the look of 3, and as soon as he started walking around in the demo I though "Hmm, back to this? Really?"

I'm sure this will be decent, but I'm definitely expecting it to be a B level entry to the series the same way Size Matters was for Ratchet.

KongRudi

Banned
BurntPork said:
The screenshots are already at Vita's resolution.

It looks like a very early alpha game at this stage. Looking at other Vita games, there's no excuse for this. This better get delayed because it looks like it should have another year of development.

Yeah, it's native resolution screens captured straight from the demo.
But the Vita only got a 5 inch OLED screen, so the game will look much better than those direct captures look on your PC monitor in this thread.
Your monitor isn't having nearly the same amount of pixel-density wich the Vita-screen got.

Agent X

Kusagari said:
Investing in it doesn't mean whoring it out and having bad developers, as seems to be the case here, making portable games for it.

Well, you make a good point about "bad developers". To be fair, though, Sony looks like they're putting forth some effort. It's not as though this is some throwaway franchise that Sony merely handed off to Nihilistic and said, "Here, make a game". The video in the OP indicates that the developers are working along with Insomniac, as well as William C. Dietz (the author of two novels based on the Resistance universe), so that instills some level of confidence. Although I have to admit I don't have great faith in Nihilistic myself, there must be a reason why Sony's pressing forward with it, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and reserve final judgment until the game is released and in players' hands.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
The gibs are a bit bad to put it politely but it looks like it's coming along great otherwise. It feels like they have another 6-9 months of polish before this game is done and I get the feeling it will be great.

Slime

Banned
Ugh, I'm still really annoyed that Sony put this in the hands of such a crappy studio. They're usually a little more discerning when working with outside devs. Nihilistic has never made a good game, and the last time Sony left their properties in their hands disaster ensued.

I really loved Retribution. It was a genuinely good game. I have no reason to believe this will be.

theBishop

Banned
Agent X said:
Well, you make a good point about "bad developers". To be fair, though, Sony looks like they're putting forth some effort. It's not as though this is some throwaway franchise that Sony merely handed off to Nihilistic and said, "Here, make a game". The video in the OP indicates that the developers are working along with Insomniac, as well as William C. Dietz (the author of two novels based on the Resistance universe), so that instills some level of confidence. Although I have to admit I don't have great faith in Nihilistic myself, there must be a reason why Sony's pressing forward with it, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and reserve final judgment until the game is released and in players' hands.

Yeah, the thing is, I don't trust Nihilistic to get the feel right. What they already showed of the story looks/sounds compelling enough. I have no problem with them going with a character who's not even military. Maybe even prefer it. And that time period is ripe for awesome level design. They could do "right" by the franchise and still produce a weak game.

Loudninja

theBishop said:
Yeah, the thing is, I don't trust Nihilistic to get the feel right. What they already showed of the story looks/sounds compelling enough. I have no problem with them going with a character who's not even military. Maybe even prefer it. And that time period is ripe for awesome level design. They could do "right" by the franchise and still produce a weak game.
Read the its previews sounding good so far.

Kerrby

Banned
Loudninja said:
Read the its previews sounding good so far.

They put a spin on every preview to make it sound good.

IGN made their preview of Naughty Bear sound like it'll be GOTY. Previews aren't even worth reading and the video basically speaks for itself. It looks awful, nothing about it looks good.

Loudninja

Kerrby said:
They put a spin on every preview to make it sound good.

IGN made their preview of Naughty Bear sound like it'll be GOTY. Previews aren't even worth reading and the video basically speaks for itself. It looks awful, nothing about it looks good.
Ok? I get it you don't like the way it looks thats all find and dandy, but you haven't played it they have.

Slime

Banned
Don't forget that a ton of time probably went into producing a really attractive vertical slice. A ton of terrible games preview decently.

Loudninja said:
Ok? I get it you don't like the way it looks thats all find and dandy, but you haven't played it they have.
Kerrby's right though, when is the last time you saw a negative preview on a well-known site? Some smaller sites and blogs might say they didn't like it, but you'll rarely see criticism for an unreleased game on site like 1UP, IGN, GameSpot and their like without a qualifying remark like "Hopefully it will be fixed in the final game."

I'm not saying that the game will be shit or anything, but a positive preview from 1UP isn't anything to get your hopes up on.

Kerrby

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Kerrby's right though, when is the last time you saw a negative preview on a well-known site? Some smaller sites and blogs might say they didn't like it, but you'll rarely see criticism for an unreleased game on site like 1UP, IGN, GameSpot and their like without a qualifying remark like "Hopefully it will be fixed in the final game."

I'm not saying that the game will be shit or anything, but a positive preview from 1UP isn't anything to get your hopes up on.

Exactly.

Anyway, Resistance: Burning Skies got added to the PlayStation website and it's listed as 1-8 players. http://ie.playstation.com/psvita/games/detail/item399140/Resistance-Burning-Skies™/

So 4 vs 4? If so, the maps better be incredibly small.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Fuck, you guys are brutal. I'm honestly not going to judge until I get my hands on it. Not to call you guys liars (I mean, who would do that?) but every hands-on I've read so far had positive things to say and it's also quite obvious this game is far from being a finished product. The controls don't even seem to be finalized. Some of you guys need to chill out with the Nihilistic hate.

I'm not super optimistic for this game. It looks very nice, but the gameplay they've shown looks extremely early, it's super slow, there seems to be absolutely no AI, and I'm not sure about all these gimmicks.

But I'm very happy that Sony is building on the franchise, I don't know why people hate the Resistance series so much, for me it's far from being generic. Those games are unique, sure there are lots of shooters out there, but there aren't that much shooters with creative and unique SF weapons, hell, even the SF shooters have boring and uninspired guns these days, just look at games like Gears of War, Killzone or Halo, where are those shooters original and fun guns that seems so generic to you?

Agent X said:
I'll be honest, after reading some of the comments here I was expecting an outright piece of junk, especially considering Nihilistic doesn't have the greatest track record. The video, though, doesn't look bad at all.

GAF hyberbole for the win like! I don't think it looks that bad either, it's not as though it's coming out tomorrow.

AgentWhiskers said:
Fuck, you guys are brutal. I'm honestly not going to judge until I get my hands on it. Not to call you guys liars (I mean, who would do that?) but every hands-on I've read so far had positive things to say and it's also quite obvious this game is far from being a finished product. The controls don't even seem to be finalized. Some of you guys need to chill out with the Nihilistic hate.
Some people need to chill out with their lack of reading comprehension too. Who has said they hate it? There's more ways to react to product than love or hate, and most people in here saying they don't think it looks great seem to be somewhere in the middle. I mean, what has anyone said that you though was "brutal?"

And again, while I'm sure you have in fact read positive things in every preview you've read for this game, that's also true of a vast majority of games regardless of the quality of the final release. Reacting to the video yourself based on your own knowledge of games in general and this series specifically is going to give you a much better idea of how you might like the final product than reading an article written by someone with every incentive to find something good about it.

VanWinkle said:
I generally dont have issues when touch screen is enabled but alt fire seems like it may be a little too chaotic for touch. I mean I use alt fire all the time in resistance games and having to use it by touch and then find my hands in the right position again seems like a pain in the ass.

I just looked back at some of the previews loudninja posted on some the touch features really do just sound terrible.

For example, that gun with the secondary fire where you touch the screen apparently has accurate aim at any range. Whoever wrote the preview said they touched on enemy very far away and the secondary fire still worked. They probably feel like they have to do it that way because messing around with ranges and touch controls isn't going to work very well. People have already been taught that when they touch something, they've interacted with it. If they added range to the weapon and you tapped an enemy out of range, how would you know if they're out of range, if you missed the enemy and need to tap more accurately, or if the screen just didn't read your touch?

The end result is a perfectly accurate sniper rifle that can hit multiple targets at once, and given the fact that it uses the touch screen, I don't really see how they could balance it. Add this to the grenades that are used simply by tapping (so you don't have to worry about actually aiming right to lob them over cover) and the game seems like the touch-activated secondary fires will break the game if you're looking for any sort of challenge.

My bet is the game will be a fine proof-of-concept type thing for the Vita. You got your touch screen controls, you got some gyro stuff, it takes advantage of the dual analogs, it's a good game that I'm sure will be fun to use to see all the stuff your new handheld can do. After the shiny wears off though, my guess is it'll be as forgettable as the game the DS used for the same purpose like XX/XY.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
dr3upmushroom said:
Some people need to chill out with their lack of reading comprehension too. Who has said they hate it? There's more ways to react to product than love or hate, and most people in here saying they don't think it looks great seem to be somewhere in the middle. I mean, what has anyone said that you though was "brutal?"

And again, while I'm sure you have in fact read positive things in every preview you've read for this game, that's also true of a vast majority of games regardless of the quality of the final release. Reacting to the video yourself based on your own knowledge of games in general and this series specifically is going to give you a much better idea of how you might like the final product than reading an article written by someone with every incentive to find something good about it.
Wait, am I missing something here? Some posters in this thread are actually hoping the game fails so the dev team can disappear since they haven't been churning out AAA hits. The game doesn't look ready at this stage. If this game was mere months away, I'd probably agree with you, but it's not. While previews usually don't concentrate on the negatives of a game, the general consensus is that it's a very playable FPS on a handheld, and that's good enough for me at the moment until we get some more detailed impressions.

Loudninja

New gameplay video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cZwsDIwwLs&list=UU6YXPI3Ak_77qD5MryUSusg&index=3

Resistance Burning Skies Preview
Since our new protagonist, Tom Riley, is a fireman by profession, we also get an on-screen button for triggering melee attacks with a nasty-looking axe; get the timing right and the blade will lodge itself in your foe's neck, triggering a brief extended kill animation. A similar iPhone game-like button is used to even greater effect for the handling of grenades, allowing you to precisely aim where your explosives go by dragging an arc from the icon to the target. By dragging slowly, you can also cook the grenade so that it explodes as soon as it's lobbed - or goes off in your hand, if you're too slow to take action.

Only the cover system falters in its efforts to utilise the console's inner gadgetry. Crouching near a suitable object puts you into a Killzone 3-like stance that protects you from harm until you pop-up to return fire. The promoted way to do this involves tilting the Vita in the relevant direction - a method that is as impractical as it is gimmicky. Thankfully you can just use the aim button instead, and under these circumstances the mechanic performs solidly.

As an early indicator of the Vita's graphical capabilities, Burning Skies acquits itself well. Its depiction of 1950s New York under attack is easily comparable to the PS3 games, and while textures are less impressive up close than at a distance, there's no shortage of detail on display. The frame rate remains consistent but currently appears to be slightly less than 30FPS, to my untrained eye - though there's still time for that to get tweaked before release day.
http://www.videogamer.com/psvita/resistance_burning_skies/preview-3122.html

Loudninja

Characters From ‘Resistance: Fall Of Man’ To Return In ‘Burning Skies’
While characters won’t be able to interact with Cartwright and Parker as they did in the Resistance PSP title, Resistance: Retribution, both characters still play an integral role in the game as players can listen in to their radio chatter, helping to fill in some of the back-story in Burning Skies. This is similar to Henry Stillman, the radio announcer from Resistance 2.
http://gamerant.com/resistance-fall-of-man-characters-burning-skies-mole-100950/

Raonak

Banned
Loudninja said:
Characters From ‘Resistance: Fall Of Man’ To Return In ‘Burning Skies’

http://gamerant.com/resistance-fall-of-man-characters-burning-skies-mole-100950/

good, i was hoping they'd bring the narrator chick back in R3 but that looks unlikely based on trailers so far. :|

It's weird, Resistance Retribution was really the proper sequel to R:FOM as apposed to R2.
I wonder if there'll ever be a retribution2, the ending of the first was a bit of a cliff hanger.

Slime

Banned
Yeah, talk about missing the point. They have 4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons, and a rear touch pad. Why clog up the touch screen with buttons? It's like they think on-screen buttons in smartphone games is a feature that people crave, and not a really shitty limitation.

Loudninja

Slime said:
Yeah, talk about missing the point. They have 4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons, and a rear touch pad. Why clog up the touch screen with buttons? It's like they think on-screen buttons in smartphone games is a feature that people crave, and not a really shitty limitation.
Yeah those 2 touchscreen button sure is clogging up the screen!It has less HUD than R3.

Edit:Anyways this games is far from release so who knows how the HUD will change or what options we will have.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kusagari said:
Investing in it doesn't mean whoring it out and having bad developers, as seems to be the case here, making portable games for it. Sony needs to try to make these games an event. That's where they've succeeded with Uncharted and failed with Killzone, Resistance, etc.
What? We're talking about the one Killzone title that hasn't even really been shown yet as an example of why Sony has failed with Killzone?

All Killzone games have been developed by Guerrilla and there has been plenty of time in between each one to make them an "event." The market just doesn't seem to care.

Slime

Banned
Loudninja said:
Yeah those 2 touchscreen button sure is clogging up the screen!It has less HUD than R3.

Edit:Anyways this games is far from release so who knows how the HUD will change or what options we will have.

The fact that it has an on-screen button at all when that function could instead be set to a face button a mere inch away is pretty ridiculous.

But, hey, superfluous gimmicks are a given on platforms with new features.

theBishop

Banned
There's a lot going for this game. The graphics are impressive regardless of Bend's black magic in Uncharted. Controls look very precise. Sound still needs a lot of work, but already shows great potential for immersion.

Insomniac said from the beginning that Resistance was bigger than Nathan Hale, and this will be the 3rd Resistance game that doesn't feature Hale as the protagonist. But I'm particularly impressed that Burning Skies is going with non-military character. I'd be happy to see this franchise continue with revolving protagonists showing different parts of the timeline, and different geographical locations. The virus started in Russia, afterall...

But right now, I'm underwhelmed by the level design and very underwhelmed by the new weapons (a chaingun? really!?). This is Nihlistic's chance to put themselves on the map, and it's not clear from this demo that they can pull it off.

Also, if the Bullseye is not in this game, I might will cry

Loudninja

theBishop said:
There's a lot going for this game. The graphics are impressive regardless of Bend's black magic in Uncharted. Controls look very precise. Sound still needs a lot of work, but already shows great potential for immersion.

Insomniac said from the beginning that Resistance was bigger than Nathan Hale, and this will be the 3rd Resistance game that doesn't feature Hale as the protagonist. But I'm particularly impressed that Burning Skies is going with non-military character. I'd be happy to see this franchise continue with revolving protagonists showing different parts of the timeline, and different geographical locations. The virus started in Russia, afterall...

But right now, I'm underwhelmed level design and very underwhelmed by the new weapons (a chaingun? really!?). This is Nihlistic's chance to put themselves on the map, and it's not clear from this demo that they can pull it off.

Also, if the Bullseye is not in this game, I might will crly
I agree about the weapons, lest wait and see what else they have.

I'd like to see more unique ip's on Vita. The problem with the PSP (at least for me) was the vast amount of games that were console games trying to be replicated on a handheld device.

Top Bottom