• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance : Burning Skies [PSVita]

theBishop

Banned
Shadow of the BEAST said:
They already have uncharted.

they should have made a new ip with another developer.

They've already shown several original games for Vita. Maybe none are "AAA" quality, but isn't Sony taking enough risks with this thing as it is?

theBishop said:
They've already shown several original games for Vita. Maybe none are "AAA" quality, but isn't Sony taking enough risks with this thing as it is?

What risk is that? They already had the PSP to learn from.

theBishop

Banned
Louis Cyphre said:
What risk is that? They already had the PSP to learn from.

PSP, who's biggest selling games were GTA, Monster Hunter, Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, and God of War.

I'm not arguing against new franchises by any means. But investing in a high production Uncharted game for launch is a pretty big play as it is. Let the system sell a few units before trying to launch a blockbuster new franchise. There are a lot of valid criticisms to make against Sony, but their commitment to original franchises is untouchable.

Xiaoki

Louis Cyphre said:
I'd like to see more unique ip's on Vita. The problem with the PSP (at least for me) was the vast amount of games that were console games trying to be replicated on a handheld device.
Welcome to handheld gaming! You must be new.

Every handheld gaming system ever starting with the original Gameboy has launched with console games trying to be replicated on a handheld device.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Louis Cyphre said:
I'd like to see more unique ip's on Vita. The problem with the PSP (at least for me) was the vast amount of games that were console games trying to be replicated on a handheld device.
PSP could not successfully imitate console style games because of its poor input devices. The best selling games on the platform were all miniature console titles.

theBishop

Banned
Not a ton of new info here, but Burning Skies was demoed tonight at TGS:

bashcraft said:
- Totally new game for the Vita
- You enter through the LiveArea
- Shuhei Yoshida is showing the game
- He's on the main Resistance screen
- My Resistance Net is an online community site, which has its own section
- There there's a icon for your profile
- Scroll down in the main screen
- There's an activity area
- It's like a Twitter feed

- People can post and respond to short messages
- He's going to play Resistance Burning Skies
- It is set in New York
- New York firefighters must protect from Chimera
- There is an fireman's axe
- You also have a machine gun
- But it shoots a BLUE LASAR
- It looks like we are in some sort of research facility
- Pops off a few Chimera
- You can use the touch screen to mark a Chimera
- and then throw a hand grenade at it
- The shoulder button is shoot
- Thumbsticks control camera and character
- Just such an axe into a Chimera's neck
- Large Chimera enters, looks like a boss battle
- It will have online mutltiplayer
- It will be out this Dec

Looks like Japan's getting Resistance before the US. Maybe it would help to tell the story of Chimera in Japan at some point?

Great news on multiplayer. Should be a nice addition to launch.

Sounds like there's some integration with Myresistance.net through Vita's game menu (without loading the game), Cool!

Also, BLUE LAZARS!!!

Massa

Live demo from TGS here. I love that it's Yoshida himself playing it.

Y2Kev said:
PSP could not successfully imitate console style games because of its poor input devices. The best selling games on the platform were all miniature console titles.

As are the two most antecipated 3DS games for this holiday, Mario Kart and Mario 3D Land. I don't get why people pick on the PSP for that.

Massa said:
As are the two most antecipated 3DS games for this holiday, Mario Kart and Mario 3D Land. I don't get why people pick on the PSP for that.

There is a difference in that a lot of PSP games sort of played like cheap knockoffs of the console series because they were designated by their publisher as less important, had a smaller budget, and different developer whereas most of the Nintendo games were made by the same developers of the console series. 3D Land is being made by EAD Tokyo, Resistance Vita is being made by Nihilistic. Mario Kart 7 is a mainline entry in the series, these Vita games are mostly prequel type things that may not join the canon of the series.

Massa

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
There is a difference in that a lot of PSP games sort of played like cheap knockoffs of the console series because they were designated by their publisher as less important, had a smaller budget, and different developer whereas most of the Nintendo games were made by the same developers of the console series. 3D Land is being made by EAD Tokyo, Resistance Vita is being made by Nihilistic. Mario Kart 7 is a mainline entry in the series, these Vita games are mostly prequel type things that may not join the canon of the series.

There were examples like that for the PSP as well, with Killzone being made by Guerrilla, Wipeout by Liverpool, GT by Poliphony, etc. And then there were the games made by other studios that were great games and even better than the originals in some ways (like Resistance, Motorstorm, the God of War games, etc), just like there are examples like that for Nintendo platforms (Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario Kart 7 has tracks done by Retro).

Globox_82

Banned
Resistance 3 SP is awesome ( I found R2 to be mediocre). This looks very generic and slow, based on that YT video. I hope I am wrong but unknown dev, with sh!tty games background....

Massa said:
There were examples like that for the PSP as well, with Killzone being made by Guerrilla, Wipeout by Liverpool, GT by Poliphony, etc. And then there were the games made by other studios that were great games and even better than the originals in some ways (like Resistance, Motorstorm, the God of War games, etc), just like there are examples like that for Nintendo platforms (Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario Kart 7 has tracks done by Retro).

There were, but by the time the PSP started getting games like Birth By Sleep and Peace Walker where the publisher did take making a PSP installment extremely seriously, the majority of people didn't care about the PSP and had formed their stereotypes and beliefs about it.

Himself

This LiveArea entrance hub thing looks really cool. Automatically brings up any and all things Resistance: DLC, other games in the series, community features, records, message boards, etc. Has this been shown for any other games yet? Seems like a pretty major feature of the Vita. Even if people aren't into Resistance, I think this would interest a lot of folks.

As far as the game itself goes, as a big Resistance fan, it looks...OK. The scenario seems interesting enough, but that big horned creature thing seems a bit off from the Chimeran designs in the Insomniac games and the whole cover mechanic seems a bit contrary to how the mainline series plays. We'll see...

Kerrby

Banned
Do we have any new footage of the TGS build? I'm just wondering if it still looks like arse.

Massa said:
Yes, post 159.

Cheers, was looking for longer links and missed it.

Yep, still looks like arse :(. I don't see it improving in the space of 3 months either :/.

Top Bottom