• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - Gamespot First Look

Striek said:
Certainly an upgrade but Resistance is never going to be a looker. Call of Duty 3 retains its FPS graphics crown.

Of course, the actual game sounds fantastic, but it seems no one is bothering to read the preview..

I did read the preview. The game overall is really good but it has some minor hiccups to be ironed out somewhere along the line due to work-in progress.

Amir0x

Banned
928399_20060828_screen001.jpg

The sandbags have a nice texture effect on them, and the spider robot looks nice. Helmet mesh too. What doesn't look nice is the textures on the floor in front of the soldiers, the lighting is lame, and the 'grass'

Still on iffy ground imo

PantherLotus said:
You are what's wrong with gaming.

What's wrong with gaming is having perfectly legitimate complaints about a screenshot in a thread where a screenshot was posted? Oh wait, are you one of them people who thinks graphics ain't important? Poor Lotus :(

Mojovonio

Banned
IMO, this game has any redeeming qualities. The art direction sucks. If this is supposed to take place in WW2, why do the screens make it look like a war torn future? Something is amiss here.

Also, the graphics, while nice, really aren't that great. This will be a C grade title that's getting much more hype then deserved.

Amir0x

Banned
Mojovonio said:
IMO, this game has any redeeming qualities. The art direction sucks. If this is supposed to take place in WW2, why do the screens make it look like a war torn future? Something is amiss here.

Also, the graphics, while nice, really aren't that great. This will be a C grade title that's getting much more hype then deserved.

Uhm, WWII never occurred in this game.

Mojovonio said:

It isn't. In the games story, WW2 never happened ;)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Amir0x said:
The sandbags have a nice texture effect on them, and the spider robot looks nice. Helmet mesh too. What doesn't look nice is the textures on the floor in front of the soldiers, the lighting is lame, and the 'grass'

Still on iffy ground imo

What's wrong with gaming is having perfectly legitimate complaints about a screenshot in a thread where a screenshot was posted? Oh wait, are you one of them people who thinks graphics ain't important? Poor Lotus :(

Not at all. It just blows my mind to see a sweet ass screenshot ripped to shreds because of low "arm textures." Gimme a break! You can analyze a screen shot all you want, but that doesn't make it any more valid or well-thought out of an opinion.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I wonder what the uber weapon is going to be in this game. We already have the sniper's dream rifle and needle gun. I wonder if we'll get something akin to the R.H.Y.N.O! Pleeeaasssseee!:D

And, for the love of God, someone post more Gifs!!! Screenshots are good and all, but, gifs are ssoooo much better.

IJoel

Looks pretty nice. If I decide, and am able, to get a PS3 during launch, this will be one of the games I'll be picking up.

Amir0x

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Not at all. It just blows my mind to see a sweet ass screenshot ripped to shreds because of low "arm textures." Gimme a break! You can analyze a screen shot all you want, but that doesn't make it any more valid or well-thought out of an opinion.

It's got a lot wrong with it, ESPECIALLY when we have superior products to compare it to. i see no reason to lower my standards when there are alternatives, don't you agree? I think it's acceptable, it certainly looks ok, but I don't think this is where Sony's flagship FPS for launch should be imo. Still, there's some months to go before launch.

You saying "arm textures" and "ground textures" aren't important makes it no less an aspect of the visual presentation, the same as what's important to me and metalpotato visually will never be equal.

Mrbob said:
That video is awesome.

What you can't see in the screenshots are the particle effects going on in the background. Amazing.

The setting is going to be awesome too. Looks so fun in motion.

Yep the particles are especially apparent during the snow level where he's shooting up the ice while firing at enemies. I want some HD screens of that level.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Amir0x said:
It's got a lot wrong with it, ESPECIALLY when we have superior products to compare it to. i see no reason to lower my standards when there are alternatives, don't you agree? I think it's acceptable, it certainly looks ok, but I don't think this is where Sony's flagship FPS for launch should be imo. Still, there's some months to go before launch.

You saying "arm textures" and "ground textures" are important makes it no less an important aspect of the visual presentation, the same as what's important to me and metalpotato visually will never be equal.

Honestly I think I'm just in the wrong thread. FPS, Graphics, etc. I'll let myself out.

BuddyC

Nithr said:
meh looks ok i guess

fps should be played on pc
Man, you just got off a two week ban. Keep up this borderline trolling and you'll be gone for much longer by the end of the day.

Mojovonio

Banned
Watching the interview now, and I just don't see what makes this game so special. Its exciting me as much as Timeshift.

Mrbob

Amir0x said:

You saying "arm textures" and "ground textures" aren't important makes it no less an aspect of the visual presentation, the same as what's important to me and metalpotato visually will never be equal.

You're insane.

Striek

Considering this has been in development for years, its certainly not going to improve dramatically in the last 1-2 months of its development time.
Nothing graphically stands out. Lighting, textures, modelling is unremarkable to weak. About the only thing Resistance has over other games is AA+AF. Its gameplay that will make or break FOM.

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:
You're insane.

Insanity is not really based in reality. But, I pointed out several issues I personally have with the image which can be verified - whether you think those things distract enough from the overall look is up for you to decide. I think some of us have made our opinions known, though, so I just want to say I'm sure it'll look where it should and play damn well because it's from Insomniac. I just don't like the images they choose to release.

Mojovonio said:
Also, where is all the creativity in the weapons? I see a sniper rifle, a machine gun and a shotgun.

Er, I don't think you've been following Resistance at all.

GreekWolf

Looks good to me, I don't know what all the complaining is about.

if I have any beef with the game at all, it has nothing to do with the art style or texture work, but that the whole thing just gives me some kind of weird Return to Wolfenstein/Duke Nukem vibe.

just saw the video and honestly there is nothing there that makes it look better than graw to me. I like the smoothness of it all but enemie designs and the enviroments sorta are looking a little blah to me. Really reminds me of timesplitters in many ways (i loved thos games). Just dont really see the splooge factor.

Heavenly sword is the game i think impressed me the most pn ps3 so far.

jett

D-Member
Game is looking NICE, but it's not "mindblowing"(i need to see a higher-res vid, this streaming crap doens't cut it)...I guess the alleged lighting upgrade isn't in this build yet? Frankly, I think this is how the final game will look like. How come we haven't seen a scene with dozens of soldiers in it like in its debut trailer at e3 2k5, btw? :p

Mojovonio said:

The ignorance-flavored haterade is strong with this one.

Mojovonio

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
You haven't been paying much attention to this game have you?

Not much. But I do remember reading how these guys were known for creative weapons in R&C and this game would boast an amazing array of weapons. I saw nothing of that in the trailer. Everything looked severley generic.

Dunpeal

Banned
Mojovonio said:
Also, where is all the creativity in the weapons? I see a sniper rifle, a machine gun and a shotgun.

Slowdown. The weapons seem pretty cool, check the video i like the needle bomb one :D

mrwilt

The comments in the preview about the physics and audio are what have me really excited about this game. Also, it's nice to read that they are still shooting for 1080p in this title. Really cool.

Mojovonio

Banned
jett said:
The ignorance-flavored haterade is strong with this one.

I loved R&C. I own every game. WHen I heard Insomniac was working on a PS3 game, I thought, awesome, new R&C, i'm there.

But no, we get this generic Mac and Cheese brand of FPS.

I'm sick of them.

Kabuki Waq said:
also when did SSX become an FPS expert? i thought he didnt like an fps games other than BLAck for some reason?

I'm not expert and don't claim to be one. But there are a couple FPS (around 7 so far like Goldeneye, HALO, PD0 ect) that interest me and this is one of them.

jax (old)

Banned
only 2 stills? I think the game looks too brown but watching band of brothers + schindlers list etc... ww2 europe was that colour too. Maybe insomniac will have a breather level where the soldiers end up in a valley (lots of green) and then all hell breaks loose.

I don't think the ground texture is too much of an issue. I think in terms of what Insomniac is doing, focusing on insane alien battles = better

mrwilt

Mojovonio said:

Did you read the preview? Do you know anything about this game? Don't you think you should find out more about the game before making such statements?

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:
Ok then we both agree the setting is amazing and this will be PS3 GOTY. :D

oh, I like the concept and weapons quite a bit. Although, I must say that being the PS3 GOTY for 2006 probably won't be terribly hard - competition with... Motorstorm?

Looks good, but just kind of standard gameplaywise. Enemies don't seem to do much besides stand there or run at you. And if there's any FPS convention I wouldn't miss it's the little crawly things that jump at you. Headcrabs sucked in HL, the Flood sucked in Halo, and these little things are going to suck here.

BuddyC

Mojovonio said:
I loved R&C. I own every game. WHen I heard Insomniac was working on a PS3 game, I thought, awesome, new R&C, i'm there.

But no, we get this generic Mac and Cheese brand of FPS.

I'm sick of them.
Well, they did show that R&C PS3 tech demo a while back...

i realy dont like it that each time you get hit, the screen goes bright red, i belive you can get seizures if its red on and off.

oh and have any of yall thought of why the graphics arent as good as other shooters right now? its because 1080p, man i hate 1080p now

Mrbob said:
You're insane.

How was his quote insane? We are talking about ps3 and 600 bucks to buy the damn machine. I, along with many others have been expecting more then this out of the system..with its launch games. Not saying all ps3 games have been subpar...im looking foward to a few titles on ps3 during the holidays/newyear but i just dont see anything we havent seen on xbox 360 or the pc for that matter...

For this state of the art cell chip, uber powerful rsx...im still waiting for sony to make my head turn...seriously.

IJoel

I just saw the video (hi-res,) and interestingly found it to look rather uninteresting and bland. It's almost as if that screenshot in the OP is the best thing out of the entire video sequence. The gameplay also looked meh. CoD2 looked much more intense and engaging, even though it didn't look as good, graphically. Color me disappointed.

Top Bottom