• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - Gamespot First Look

Nithr

Banned
Drek said:
So Gamespot got a preview but with three old screens, one of which we'd already seen before? Damn they're keeping this game on lockdown. ;P

do you know something or just think it's an old build because of that one old screenshot?

I don't think Resistance is every going to be mind-blowing from a purely graphical standpoint, but at least wait until we see the supposed "new build" until final pronouncements are made (assuming this isn't, which it doesn't look to be).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
thekad said:
I was expecting to be blown away by the impressions in this thread :lol . Of course, I wasn't.

Okay but half the people in this thread are saying this game looks like a N64 game. So why were you thinking you were going to be impressed?

RaijinFY

Nithr said:
do you know something or just think it's an old build because of that one old screenshot?

Actually there's one new screen. The two others are old but what i would like is to see the damn interview but I cant stream shit and the download is way to slow! :(

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I don't think Resistance is every going to be mind-blowing from a purely graphical standpoint, but at least wait until we see the supposed "new build" until final pronouncements are made (assuming this isn't, which it doesn't look to be).

Huh? It looks amazing from what I've seen? I understand that some might have issues with the "art" style or the color palette, but everything else I've seen is beyond top drawer.

The interview showed a lot of new footage (didn't it?? new to me anyway)

There is a difference between "new" and "different" as far as this games goes. There may be one DIFFERENT screen from what we've seen previously, but what indication do we have that any of these are from the NEW build "with the lighting in"?

Andy787

Banned
sonycowboy said:
The interview showed a lot of new footage (didn't it?? new to me anyway)
Yes it did. Did you guys even watch the interview? There is tons of new footage in it, and it looks excellent, imo. The HD version is amazing.

Raven.

Banned
Mojovonio said:
Exactly. Compare this to Bioshock and you'll see a grave contrast. Bioshock oozes creativity in a genre overburdened by these generic "me too" games.

Bioshock has atmosphere that refelcts the desperation and mystery of the story.

This, I see big robots walking around and people shooting at it. Its been done before.

Bioshock? Gphx no good, art design ~= strange melee, imo

Resistance creature/story design make it feel like a B popcorn scifi flick from the 80-90s period, which is both unique for a fps and very appealing, IMHO.

As for the gphx, if they fix the textures and add that new lightning mode this fps will be unrivaled in that dept, again, imo.

Gameplay-wise knowing inc., this will very likely own pretty much all recent and upcoming fps , likely including copy-paste-corridor-lo's sequel.

mckmas8808

Andy787 said:
Yes it did. Did you guys even watch the interview? There is tons of new footage in it, and it looks excellent, imo. The HD version is amazing.

Go to the RSX downgrade thread. They don't care. People just love to hate the PS3 and its games because they want to feel secure spending $399 on their 360s last year.

Drek

Nithr said:
Do you really think they'd release an old shot with two new shots? One of the shots is from the same setting as most of the video, if it was new you'd think they'd have plucked some other shots out of the video.

Who knows, maybe this is all that the hyped up new lighting engine has to offer, but I doubt it. We won't get to see that any time soon though because apparently its an exclusive to some dumb print mag. ;P

GreekWolf

mckmas8808 said:
Go to the RSX downgrade thread. They don't care. People just love to hate the PS3 and its games because they want to feel secure spending $399 on their 360s last year.
I think that only applies to one person over in that thread.

Striek

Max@GC said:
Resistance would look quite fine...if Gears of War wouldn´t be there.:lol
Actually, if we only focussed on in-game screenshots though, the gap in perception re: graphics between the two, would probably diminish.

Mmmkay

Some 720p screencaps from the HD interview. Some of them have a fair amount of compression artifacts so it's not quite like getting direct feed shots:

Icy.
icywj9.jpg

Yeah, environments look shit, but the model is nice.
modelai5.jpg

Some fairly decent texturing in this alleyway.
alleylv0.jpg

A shot to show that there is some aliasing in the game!
aliassh8.jpg

FINGERS.
fingersnk8.jpg

O face.
ofacevh6.jpg

Foil

Raven. said:

Resistance creature/story design make it feel like a B popcorn scifi flick from the 80-90s period, which is both unique for a fps and very appealing, IMHO.

As for the gphx, if they fix the textures and add that new lightning mode this fps will be unrivaled in that dept, again, imo.

Gameplay-wise knowing inc., this will very likely own pretty much all recent and upcoming fps, likely including copy-paste-corridor-lo's sequel.

...there are no words...

nataku

Oldschoolgamer said:
Again...you haven't been following Resistance. The sniper rifle itself is creative. They have even talked about different guns throughout all of their interviews...

Looking at the interview, it looks as though the sniper rifle has a slow down effect. Bullets from the enemy (and the enemies themselves) move extremely slow when zoomed in with it. You can really see it work at around 3:10.

REV 09

mckmas8808 said:
that's a load of bullshit, unless you want to replace "people" w/ individual names.

EDIT: I haven't visited that thread. If you were referring strictly to individuals in that thread, then i apologize.

mckmas8808

REV 09 said:
that's a load of bullshit, unless you want to replace "people" w/ individual names.

I know it was hyperbole. But you are right seriously. It's only individuals. People that I wish wouldn't troll this game as hard as they are. You would think they were getting paid.

Where did they come from all of a sudden? They weren't here last week. :/

REV 09 said:

Well, since E3... listing out half the forum would be an excercise in tedium!

Not that I really agree with the assertion... I do think people enjoy "piling on" whether they mean it or not

GreekWolf

Raven. said:

I'm probably not reading that right. Did you just say that Bioshock's graphics are no good?

Game looks alright but choppy (maybe due to video I downloaded)... The IQ doesn't look that great (maybe again due to the video I downloaded)

All this is moot of course... The gameplay looks pretty run of the mill... I hope they put some serious thought into it and provide for a distinctive experience because there are already 2 million other FPS/action games that are competing for my <very> limited attention span this fall esp. given FF XII and Zelda are both coming out.

Seems like they are trying to follow a "Black" type approach to the story where you learn about stuff as you play... Hopefully it doesn't resemble anything else about Black besides that...

Here's wishing Insomniac the best...

jjasper

REV 09 said:

EDIT: I haven't visited that thread. If you were referring strictly to individuals in that thread, then i apologize.

While I am not refering to the downgrade thread (that is only one person) there is a group that goes into every single PS3 thread and says negative stuff about every game no matter which it it. Some are just getting annoyed, because they are starting to think it isn't about the games but hate towards the system.

Razoric

Banned
Wollan said:
Im amazed by the hatred seen in this thread. Amazed.
Talk about effin console war 'politics'.

You've seen the other thread right? This is a gust of wind compared to that hurricane. :lol :lol

Wollan said:
Im amazed by the hatred seen in this thread. Amazed.
Talk about effin console war 'politics'.

i am just waiting for the screenshot warz. those are always fun everyone picks the worst possible shots for the games they dont like.

Pimpwerx

Anyone got a link to the HD video? The low-res one is still dloading for me, but is probably a complete waste if it's like any other GS video. Anyway, for the next 18 months or so, every game thread should have two version. One version for people to just hate on the game, b/c little of it ever seems to be based in reality anyway. The other thread will be to discuss elements of the game. I'm quite interested in the weaponry for this game, and just seeing how it progresses graphically (since I kinda hated on the graphics until the last month). But I'm a bit tired of wading through most of the tripe. I swear, I should put everyone but like SSX and a few others on ignore, b/c in most of these threads, it's only a handful of people who ever contribute new information.

That said, the pics look better, but the lighting is still off. Self-shadowing doesn't seem to be in place in these screens. That and the wierd thing is that one of the three pics GS upped today is ancient. The one with the chimera walking across that foot bridge has been out there for weeks now. I'm not sure the other two are any more recent than the third. These two pics could be ones the mags rejected months ago. PEACE.

mckmas8808

Razoric said:
You've seen the other thread right? This is a gust of wind compared to that hurricane. :lol :lol

:lol

No kidding. I can't even talk about my future PS3 and Resistence now. :(

So, I stopped being serious and thought I'll just have a little fun. Hopefully by tommorrw things will calm down.

And where's Amirox and Kitty?

Kabuki Waq said:
i am just waiting for the screenshot warz. those are always fun everyone picks the worst possible shots for the games they dont like.

We could only ever provide a pale imitation of gamespot in that regard, where topic posts have hundres of screens, and are then subsequently quoted in every post thereafter, requiring you to download a few gigs per page of the thread.

Kittonwy

Banned
They need to stop with the ****ing yellow.

What the **** is with the ****ing yellow?

I don't give a flying **** they're making the game ****ing yellow and ****ing muted for the sake of being ****ing authentic, as far as I know it's ****ing grey when it's cloudy and when you look at the ****ing sun, it would still look bright enough to hurt your eyes, not ****ing yellow. I don't ****ing live in England, if I want ****ing yellow, I would look in the ****ing mirror, so make the ****ing sky and lighting ****ing normal, for ****'s sake.

And yes, OBJECTS CAST SHADOWS, even with "ambient lighting", put the ****ing shadows in there already.

It's like they get the normal mapping right, they got the textures on the main character's hands right, it seems they've paid attention to the straps on the character's left arm but I have no ****ing clue what they're trying to achieve with their lighting scheme. Puzzling. ^__^

Dunpeal

Banned
Kittonwy said:

I don't give a flying **** they're making the game ****ing yellow and ****ing muted for the sake of being ****ing authentic, as far as I know it's ****ing grey when it's cloudy and when you look at the ****ing sun, it would still look bright enough to hurt your eyes, not ****ing yellow. I don't ****ing live in England, if I want ****ing yellow, I would look in the ****ing mirror, so make the ****ing sky and lighting ****ing normal, for ****'s sake.

And yes, OBJECTS CAST SHADOWS, even with "ambient lighting", put the ****ing shadows in there already.

It's like they get the normal mapping right but I have no ****ing clue what they're trying to achieve with their lighting scheme. Puzzling. ^__^

uckf.gif

Wollan

Anyone want to talk about multiplayer? Sounds pretty advanced.
Getting upgrades for your base. Taking down nodes for overheating/respawning. Racial skills.

And I'm really surprised it's still going for 1080p, that's pretty amazing.

mckmas8808

Kittonwy said:

It's like they get the normal mapping right, they got the textures on the main character's hands right, it seems they've paid attention to the straps on the character's left arm but I have no ****ing clue what they're trying to achieve with their lighting scheme. Puzzling. ^__^

:lol :lol :lol

OMG!!! I never seen this coming.

Well I just watched the HD interview and I have to say the game does look pretty bland. That's in terms of both graphics and gameplay. The animation in particular is quite shit, it's a definite step down from the R&C games. The IQ is really, really clean looking though. Honestly, I liked the look of the original trailer much more. The gunplay didn't look all that fun either. Bleh.

JB1981

Honest opinion: thought that video was fairly underwhelming. Looks like a garden variety shooter with muted/bland lighting. Not nearly as moody as I was expecting. Hopefully the game has a great musical score.

gbovo

Kittonwy said:

Where's Doom_Bringer when you need him?!

jett

D-Member
Thanks for the HD pics Mmmkay. Guess there's no upgreadeton, none that we've seen yet at least. They need to stop with the "aiming for 1080p" shit, though...not as if this game has uberdetailed textures that would take advantage of the higher resolution.

Kittonwy said:

Doom Bringer would be proud.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:
Anyone want to talk about multiplayer? Sounds pretty advanced.
Getting upgrades for your base. Taking down nodes for overheating/respawning. Racial skills.

And I'm really surprised it's still going for 1080p, that's pretty amazing.

Why the **** are they going for 1080p at this point? That's just silly.
Indifferent2.gif

Pimpwerx said:
Anyone got a link to the HD video?

Is that kosher around here? If it isnt an issue ill see if I can upload it somewheres.

Pimpwerx said:
That said, the pics look better, but the lighting is still off. Self-shadowing doesn't seem to be in place in these screens.

Yeah I think thats the biggest thing holding it back visually so far. More dynamic lighting/shadowing would go a long way. It doesn't really seem to be pushing much as far as shading effects either. That said I think there was a lot of nice detail going on in this build. The footage in the square had a ton of enemies, all sorts of particle effects (smoke, tracers, dust, debris and ash flying around), nice physics on the grenades and ragdolls, big open environment et al. I was digging the amount of chaos there. Here's a couple more caps...

Those spiky looking vessels in the background are new to me. Some kinda landing?
resi4kb6.jpg

resi2ry5.jpg

I bet this gun ends up whored like crazy in MP...
resi5zs6.jpg

Top Bottom